HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

When will Iceland turn into a top 10 hockey nation?

Old
05-03-2010, 02:49 PM
JaysCyYoung

vCash: 500
Let's Go Shake Thar Hands.

JaysCyYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 02:52 PM
HackandLube

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Dude, Gunner Stahl responded to that video!

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:24 PM
John Agar

Googled and found their star's jersey...

Attachment 39569

Last edited by John Agar: 04-16-2014 at 05:01 PM.
John Agar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:36 PM
sjgoglin

When they learn to stop the knuckle-puck.

sjgoglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Hence their silver medal in Olympic handball.

They're also much better at the football than you would expect (average fifa ranking: 68th, just above Canada).

If anything, that's pretty impressive for such a small country.
Handball is only popular in a handful of countries though, mostly the other Scandinavian countries. Still impressive, but the competition is basically only coming from the other Scandinavian countries.

The FIFA ranking is downright shocking to me, though.

My experience there in August basically brought nothing up in sports. The league soccer games in Reykjavik may as well not have existed considering sparse attendance in a miniscule stadium, but I'm sure they probably watch the better European leagues. In general though I just never saw anything sports related there outside of a English-styled pub showing the Premiership (I actually watched a couple games with the locals...good times, though most of them weren't native Icelanders, but were Irishmen who married Icelandic women and moved there). I saw an Icelandic soccer/football jersey in the airport, but that was it. Team sports just aren't that important in the day-to-day lives...and when you're surrounded by the impeccable beauty that is Iceland its not unsurprising. Here in Montana outside of college football team sports are non-existent, replaced by hiking, kayaking, fishing, etc.

That's my view as an outsider who's experience with Iceland was only a week in person and a the input of an Icelandic friend who I studied abroad with.

I really want just one Icelandic player to make it into the NHL at some point though. I love everything about that place.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Gunnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Handball is only popular in a handful of countries though, mostly the other Scandinavian countries. Still impressive, but the competition is basically only coming from the other Scandinavian countries.

The FIFA ranking is downright shocking to me, though.

My experience there in August basically brought nothing up in sports. The league soccer games in Reykjavik may as well not have existed considering sparse attendance in a miniscule stadium, but I'm sure they probably watch the better European leagues. In general though I just never saw anything sports related there outside of a English-styled pub showing the Premiership (I actually watched a couple games with the locals...good times, though most of them weren't native Icelanders, but were Irishmen who married Icelandic women and moved there). I saw an Icelandic soccer/football jersey in the airport, but that was it. Team sports just aren't that important in the day-to-day lives...and when you're surrounded by the impeccable beauty that is Iceland its not unsurprising. Here in Montana outside of college football team sports are non-existent, replaced by hiking, kayaking, fishing, etc.

That's my view as an outsider who's experience with Iceland was only a week in person and a the input of an Icelandic friend who I studied abroad with.

I really want just one Icelandic player to make it into the NHL at some point though. I love everything about that place.
Enjoyed this thread, here are a few facts:
The most popular sport is soccer (the most boring game ever), second after that is probably golf and then handball. We have allot of players in European leagues, including the UK premier league. The biggest handball nations besides Iceland are Germany, France, the old Soviet Union nations and the east Europe nations... and the other Scandinavians. USA and Canada have national teams as in handball as well and probably more money and ppl to work with so....
We have three rinks, two in Reykjavík and one in Akureyri, the first two (one in Reykjavík and one in Akureyri) got built some 10 years ago and were the first real rinks in the country. The third one got build just few years ago.
It will take a little more time to build up a competitive team internationally. It's true that there's only 300k of us but you just wait
Hilsen til Denmark

Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:08 AM
jekoh

Quote:
The other two countries on the podium were France and Spain. Hardly Scandinavian countries. Handball is not really a global sport, but it is popular in as many countries as ice hockey is.

Quote:
My experience there in August basically brought nothing up in sports. The league soccer games in Reykjavik may as well not have existed considering sparse attendance in a miniscule stadium, but I'm sure they probably watch the better European leagues.
Local football league attendance is not really minuscule given the population: almost half of Slovakia's and bigger than Slovenia's http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm So they do seem to be more into football than some if not most other countries, however small their national stadium may be.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:17 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Any ideas?

Is there a chance?
When the WCs are played in Reykjavik and volcanic ash prevents any other teams from coming.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Quote:
Nah not only the Scandinavian countries. It's also quite popular in Eastern Europe and Russia. Not that i understand them, though. The game sucks.

Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Jack DiBiase
wrist-oh-lie-nun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croszilla View Post
Iceland's a joke...They lost to Israel; a Norse country losing to a giant desert at a winter sport. What fail!
That's like a team from Florida or California winning the Stanley Cup.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge
Handball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hockey

As far as popularity is concerned.

From wiki: By July 2009, the IHF (The International Handball Federation) listed 166 member federations - approximately 795,000 teams and 19 million players

If all 1,443,498 hockey players would be divided into all handball teams, there would only be 2 players per team. I agree that it's a dumb sport, but it's way more popular than hockey.

Last edited by Jack DiBiase: 05-04-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Mikkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Christian View Post
Greenland is part of the Danish empire. There exist none official national teams from Greenland in any sports. I know Greenland has a national team in soccer but they can't play in any official tournaments.
It's rather irrelevant to the thread, but just for the sake of being precise:

Greenland actually has a national team in handball (see a pattern here?), and all things considering they're actually not that bad. They even managed to qualify for the World Championships a few times (they play in the North American qualifying group, and they beat Canada and US on a regular basis). I suppose most (or all) of their players play in Denmark, even if the only one I can remember off-hand is Jakob Larsen, formerly of GOG. I would be surprised if there is a better player to be found in NA though.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenla..._handball_team

Mikkel is offline   Reply With Quote