HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/4 Scott Nichol (UPD: Lapierre suspended 4 games)

Old
03-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Tealblood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot the puck View Post
Well, if nothing is called after the end of the play, I don't think it's being called.

This has happened the last couple of years. The book on the sharks is if you hit them hard enough, they put their tails between their legs and stop playing.

If your happy with the way the sharks handled this that's fine. But I'm not, they still have the same issues and problems they've had the last couple of years.
If putting your tail between your legs means tons of hitting and third period comebacks then they should put their tails between their legs more often.

So..instead of winning, you'd rather see the whole bench clear just so their little egos stay intact.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
shoot the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post
If putting your tail between your legs means tons of hitting and third period comebacks then they should put their tails between their legs more often.

So..instead of winning, you'd rather see the whole bench clear just so their little egos stay intact.
It's not about ego. look what just happened to savard. The bruins didn't do anything either. Go check out their board and see how everyone feels about it.

Unfortunately hockey has dirty players that will do anything to win. They will cheap shot and don't care if they hurt a player. Someone like cooke could easily take out Marleau, heater and JT with a cheap shot. If you don't show any heart or balls to defend your teammates, they will take liberties and take apart your your team.

If you have your teammates back, you just made your team better because everyone will go to war for you. That's how you win championships and that's how you know you have a great team.

Players that fight for each other are the kind of players you want on your team. A lot of people here don't like Shelley but he would go to war for anyone on the team, someone on this team needs to stand up and do what he did.

shoot the puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Anthony*

they won the game who cares

Anthony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Scott Nichol?

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:09 PM
SharkXJ

Send a message via Yahoo to SharkXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
X2 BUT reading through this thread I am reading some good points at the same time some stuff that doesn't make since.

Not pointing anyone out but if you want to see all out brawls because there was a cheap shot or a solid hit then you are not the type of fan the sport needs. The Sharks responded in the absolute right way. They came back and WON the game and not by luck but by will and determination. THAT is what wins CHAMPIONSHIPS not taking stupid retalitory penalties. Yeah I enjoy a good fight every once in a while but not when the game is on the line. However, I enjoyed the Olympic Rules and it would be great to see them in the NHL. So if fighting is taken out of the game and teams are forced to do what hte Sharks did and simply take it to the other team then GREAT. I am sorry Scotty got hurt but it fired up the entire team. TM didn't need to send out the energy line to get something going. He sent out Jumbo, Heater and Seto and they played inspired hockey. They were hitting, talking smack and just going all out.

Another thoguht - Why do we want to send a message to a team we play once a year? I could see sending a message to a team like L.A. or Phoenix that we play 6 times a year.

If the Sharks play this inspired and fired up as they did the last 2 games, then they will go far in the play off's.

SharkXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:39 PM
shoot the puck

it does more than send a message to a team we only play once a year. The sharks are known as a soft team. hit them, cheap shot them, and they will turtle. This is what has happened every year in the playoffs.

Everyone is up in arms on the boston board over the savard hit and on the Sharks board, it's ok we won.

Another thing, If it takes a player to get hurt to fire up the team to play hard, there's something wrong with the team.

shoot the puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:43 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot the puck View Post
it does more than send a message to a team we only play once a year. The sharks are known as a soft team. hit them, cheap shot them, and they will turtle. This is what has happened every year in the playoffs.

Everyone is up in arms on the boston board over the savard hit and on the Sharks board, it's ok we won.

Another thing, If it takes a player to get hurt to fire up the team to play hard, there's something wrong with the team.
They were playing hard before they hit, they just stepped it up even further after.

They cheap shoted us, and we didn't turtle. So in fact didn't we do exactly the opposite of what is expected?

Put it this way, I'd rather we win through skill and will than through intimidation. Obviously you need to make it detrimental to the other team to play a physical game. The best way to do that is win anyway, and play ever more physical. We did both.

I wouldn't have minded if Lapierre had his face caved in, but I'm not that worried about it.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
SharkXJ

Send a message via Yahoo to SharkXJ
Detroit is not a team known for "sending messages" through actws of violence yet everyone is afraid to play them. So why does a team have to respond violently to a big hit or cheap shot? Detroit doesn't and they are not viewed as soft.

SharkXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkXJ View Post
Detroit is not a team known for "sending messages" through actws of violence yet everyone is afraid to play them. So why does a team have to respond violently to a big hit or cheap shot? Detroit doesn't and they are not viewed as soft.
Heres the only issue I have with this line of thinking.

The Sharks PP goes to **** in the playoffs. The Wings PP doesnt.

Secondly. Watching a top six winger get taken out and have nothing in the tank to do anything about it is a problem. Whether that something is scoring on the pp (whether you get it or not is another question) or taking a good clean hard run at one of their top six, either works and sends a message. What you cant do is start taking stupid penalties.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:23 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Heres the only issue I have with this line of thinking.

The Sharks PP goes to **** in the playoffs. The Wings PP doesnt.

Secondly. Watching a top six winger get taken out and have nothing in the tank to do anything about it is a problem. Whether that something is scoring on the pp (whether you get it or not is another question) or taking a good clean hard run at one of their top six, either works and sends a message. What you cant do is start taking stupid penalties.
Then the problem doesn't have **** to do with whether the Sharks cheap shot the other team after a hit like this, it has to do with the powerplay sucking. In this Montreal game I saw the Sharks manage to score after the dirty hit. Hopefully they can do that against teams in the playoffs, but no one is going to have any idea if they do that until April. We also won't have any idea about how they respond to a dirty hit in the playoffs til mid-April. If them coming back in this game doesn't show us anything, than neither would have them responding by taking a penalty.

And I don't care a lick what the Boston board is talking about. I don't see them having any cups wins recently either...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Only Shark fans would complain that a come from behind win in the last 10 minutes wasn't done right.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:31 PM
sharkbite3
blood in the water

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkXJ View Post
Sure they don't do it much nowadays, but the Wings became a different team after they responded the way they did to that Lemieux hit back in the day. Up to that point they had had very little playoff success, and I don't think it's a coincidence that they won it all the year of that infamous revenge game.

Last edited by Tkachuk4MVP: 03-08-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Then the problem doesn't have **** to do with whether the Sharks cheap shot the other team after a hit like this, it has to do with the powerplay sucking. In this Montreal game I saw the Sharks manage to score after the dirty hit. Hopefully they can do that against teams in the playoffs, but no one is going to have any idea if they do that until April. We also won't have any idea about how they respond to a dirty hit in the playoffs til mid-April. If them coming back in this game doesn't show us anything, than neither would have them responding by taking a penalty.

And I don't care a lick what the Boston board is talking about. I don't see them having any cups wins recently either...
The issue is, that looking at the past playoff history would generally indicate the Sharks fail after something like this happens. Patty getting smoked against Calgary is the exception. Now whether or not this is attitude and or a simple lack of depth, that is debatable.

Sometimes this team still needs something to pull them together. Those kinds of plays have shown, at least in the past that it seperates them from each other, rather than uniting them. That effect has seem to become a lesser phenom over the course of this year. Though the same could have been said about last year but then perry ran around cheap shotting everyone and nobody did **** about it.

Old
03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail

Quote:
The issue is, that looking at the past playoff history would generally indicate the Sharks fail after something like this happens. Patty getting smoked against Calgary is the exception. Now whether or not this is attitude and or a simple lack of depth, that is debatable.

Sometimes this team still needs something to pull them together. Those kinds of plays have shown, at least in the past that it seperates them from each other, rather than uniting them. That effect has seem to become a lesser phenom over the course of this year. Though the same could have been said about last year but then perry ran around cheap shotting everyone and nobody did **** about it.
I'd chalk this up as a fail too, as the Sharks blew a 3-0 lead in that game and in turn allowed a much less talented team take them to 7 games, thus gassing them for their inevitable 2nd round exit against Dallas.

Old
03-08-2010, 06:11 PM
The Furnace

According to Pollak hes already back at practice and shooting pucks. So it could actually be 7-10 days if his shoulder is already healed and loose enough to be shooting.

The Furnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:52 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
I'd chalk this up as a fail too, as the Sharks blew a 3-0 lead in that game and in turn allowed a much less talented team take them to 7 games, thus gassing them for their inevitable 2nd round exit against Dallas.
well ya but they did win that series so its a wash in my opinion

Old
03-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail

Quote:
well ya but they did win that series so its a wash in my opinion
We'll agree to disagree on that. What I think we are in agreement on is that it would've been nice to see someone come to Nichol's defense, and that a failure to do so (yet again) is the sign of a bigger problem.

Old
03-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Pinkfloyd

There's a time and a place for a response to hits like that and it wasn't then. The reason there was little to no reaction was because nobody really saw the hit. As much crap that is given to that ref that was right on top of the play (maybe justifiably so), he's not the only one that followed the puck after the shot. Even if they did, they weren't at a point in the game where responding would serve a purpose. At that juncture, they're trying to win the game with it being in the 3rd and down a goal. Going short-handed wouldn't have done any good. Also, it being the Montreal Canadiens, letting them have any sort of physical or psychological edge at that moment and going forward is irrelevant for obvious geographical reasons.

This team hasn't had any problems responding to physical or cheap play for quite awhile now. And in reality, responding to it hasn't really helped them in terms of results. The Sarich-Marleau incident is an excellent reflection of that. Matt Carle actually did respond to that hit, if you recall, got a penalty for it and it subsequently led to their downfall in that game. Even if you stand up for your teammate, it doesn't always have the desired effect.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Cheechoo and Chong

Quote:
Originally Posted by booost View Post
nichol will be out at least 25 days. hopefully he is back in time for the playoffs.
The Merc says 7-10 days. Which one is it?

Cheechoo and Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:41 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sharks.nhl.tv/team/console.js...d=rss-whatsnew
Hockey Hotstove talks about incident

Nichol skated practice Monday (no contact).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
gafilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
We'll agree to disagree on that. What I think we are in agreement on is that it would've been nice to see someone come to Nichol's defense, and that a failure to do so (yet again) is the sign of a bigger problem.
Can you clarify what exactly it is that someone should do in order to "come to Nichol's defense"? I actually remember both Thornton and Heatley absolutely crushing people through the last 10 minutes of play and everyone was finishing checks hard and playing very gritty. I guess I just don't understand what the desired action is here. Fighting won't solve anything. Cheap shotting is not something I'd ever advocate (except against Corry Perry ).

I thought they responded ideally in all categories. They made Montreal very uncomfortable on the ice with size, aggression, skill, and speed, and used those 4 things to completely take over the game and win.

Did the Sharks end anyone's career? No. But I really don't think that's the goal.

gafilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafilson View Post
Can you clarify what exactly it is that someone should do in order to "come to Nichol's defense"? I actually remember both Thornton and Heatley absolutely crushing people through the last 10 minutes of play and everyone was finishing checks hard and playing very gritty. I guess I just don't understand what the desired action is here. Fighting won't solve anything. Cheap shotting is not something I'd ever advocate (except against Corry Perry ).

I thought they responded ideally in all categories. They made Montreal very uncomfortable on the ice with size, aggression, skill, and speed, and used those 4 things to completely take over the game and win.

Did the Sharks end anyone's career? No. But I really don't think that's the goal.
My preference would be to have a guy like Murray, Clowe, Staubitz (whoever is on the ice) eat a damn instigator penalty and pound his face in. The instigator is a great deterrent to stopping 'unnecessary' policing (pounding the snot out of someone for a clean hit) but I don't think it should deter a team from policing all together. Especially with as good a PK as we have.

I'd be glad eat a 2 minute PK that actually legitimately sends the message "don't play dirty with the Shark's or they will destroy you". If Murray broke Lapierre's face, I guarantee you he'd think twice about ever doing that again. Other players of his ilk would keep it in the back of their mind as well. THAT is a good use of fighting.

Old
03-09-2010, 01:04 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
My preference would be to have a guy like Murray, Clowe, Staubitz (whoever is on the ice) eat a damn instigator penalty and pound his face in. The instigator is a great deterrent to stopping 'unnecessary' policing (pounding the snot out of someone for a clean hit) but I don't think it should deter a team from policing all together. Especially with as good a PK as we have.

I'd be glad eat a 2 minute PK that actually legitimately sends the message "don't play dirty with the Shark's or they will destroy you". If Murray broke Lapierre's face, I guarantee you he'd think twice about ever doing that again. Other players of his ilk would keep it in the back of their mind as well. THAT is a good use of fighting.
And what if they score and we fail to win the game? If I'm another teams "pest" I say "well, look at that, if I hit their players one of them will lose control and take a dumb penalty, and my team gets a good chance to score!" In the playoffs I would salivate at the opportunity to do that if I was a 4th line guy (or, gee, a player like Nichol or Ott).

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
And what if they score and we fail to win the game? If I'm another teams "pest" I say "well, look at that, if I hit their players one of them will lose control and take a dumb penalty, and my team gets a good chance to score!" In the playoffs I would salivate at the opportunity to do that if I was a 4th line guy (or, gee, a player like Nichol or Ott).
In the playoffs is a completely different story than in a meaningless regular season game. I think there is more value in creating a reputation and instilling some fear during the regular season than in letting in a goal on the PK here and there. Especially for a team that is going to make the playoffs regardless. If you haven't set that example by the playoffs, then it is too late.

And no, i don't agree with you. Players will not generally sacrifice themselves to a beat down just to earn a PP. Blocking a shot is one thing, letting Douglas Murray destroy you is another. It's a lot easier to draw a penalty than to risk that. Unless the guy doing the running is an enforcer himself, and I'm not sure I can really name an enforcer I am all that concerned with in that regard (dirty hits). I would rather enforce the rule than the exception though regardless.