HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Baranka takes on role of traffic cop in crease

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 06:43 PM
NYR469

vCash: 500

By Jim Riley
Special to The Seattle Times

Big and physical, the defending Western Hockey League champion Kelowna Rockets love to set up camp in front of the opposing net and flex their muscles.

It will be Ivan Baranka's job to not-so-gently evict them to places where they don't block Everett goaltender Jeff Harvey's view.

Baranka knows that won't be easy when the Western Conference finals, tied at one game apiece, come to the Everett Events Center for Game 3 at 7:05 tonight.

Baranka, a rookie defenseman from Dubnica, Slovakia, and the only Everett player who has been drafted by an NHL team, said the Silvertips remain confident after winning 3-2 and losing 2-1 in the first two games in Kelowna.

"I think we are able to beat every team in this league," said Baranka, who still is learning English. "The series is tied 1-1 and we are able to win, but it's going to be hard. They put the best traffic on our goalie, so we have to keep them out of there."

Everett coach Kevin Constantine said the Rockets walk a fine line in front of the net.

"They have a right to go to the front of the net, but they don't have the right to interfere with our goalie," Constantine said. "They're going to get shots and they're going to get rebounds. We just can't let it become an epidemic."

Harvey, who has stopped 55 of 59 shots in the series, has noticed all the traffic around him.

Top Kelowna camper Troy Bodie, a right winger who is 6 feet 5, has two of Kelowna's goals, with 6-3 Shea Weber and 6-1 Mike Card scoring the others.

"They love to get in front of the net, and i*****oalie can't see a puck, he's not going to be able to stop it," Harvey said. "They have some big bodies and I just have to fight through it, see the puck, hope it hits me and control the rebound."

Harvey isn't about to let the Rockets' goal-crashing tactics affect his game.

"They're coming into the crease at all times, but that's up to the referee to call," Harvey said. "I just have to push them out of the way and try not to worry about it."

Baranka, who stands 6-2 and was drafted in 2003 by the New York Rangers in the second round, has had a point in each of his last six playoff games. Baranka said he hadn't even noticed.

"I don't look at my points," Baranka said. "It just happens. I knew I had a couple of points, but not how many. My job is to worry about defense and win the battles in front of the net. That's what we have to do to win."

Old
04-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I have seen 2 or 3 interviews and articles with quotes from Baranka since he was drafted, and each time, I love what he has had to say. If the quotes are accurate, he seems like a very level-headed type who takes pride in his role as a defenceman and is very committed to it. I am really looking forward to seeing how he develops.

Old
04-21-2004, 07:39 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
"I don't look at my points," Baranka said. "It just happens. I knew I had a couple of points, but not how many. My job is to worry about defense and win the battles in front of the net. That's what we have to do to win."
Great comment. Let's hope that the article offers pretty good insight into Baranka's mind. As a 2nd round pick in a great draft, he offers some hope. I've read reports that make him a Tyutin clone, but lately I've been getting the impression that he is much more physical than Fedor. Granted Tyutin is no wall flower, but it seems that Baranka seeks the physical play whereas Tyutin does not. Here's hoping that Baranka is a winner. By all reports, the kid has 2nd pairing potential.

Old
04-21-2004, 08:16 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

You know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Great comment. Let's hope that the article offers pretty good insight into Baranka's mind. As a 2nd round pick in a great draft, he offers some hope. I've read reports that make him a Tyutin clone, but lately I've been getting the impression that he is much more physical than Fedor. Granted Tyutin is no wall flower, but it seems that Baranka seeks the physical play whereas Tyutin does not. Here's hoping that Baranka is a winner. By all reports, the kid has 2nd pairing potential.
while the Falardeau pick is still a head scratcher, I think the this current crew responsible for running the draft is starting to show results. Baranka and Dawes are showing nice development, while Jonasen and Taylor have the look of future Rangers. And, we've already seen Blackburn, Tyutin, Murray, Lampman and Zdlicky make the bigs from the 2001 draft. I have a fair amount of faith in what this crew will do in the upcoming draft.

Old
04-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
while the Falardeau pick is still a head scratcher, I think the this current crew responsible for running the draft is starting to show results. Baranka and Dawes are showing nice development, while Jonasen and Taylor have the look of future Rangers. And, we've already seen Blackburn, Tyutin, Murray, Lampman and Zdlicky make the bigs from the 2001 draft. I have a fair amount of faith in what this crew will do in the upcoming draft.

no way jas, too early to tell if these picks will work out. you can start bragging when they play an NHL game.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

What bragging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
no way jas, too early to tell if these picks will work out. you can start bragging when they play an NHL game.
I guess that means we should hold off on the Parise praise, huh? Afterall, many people thought Dawes had a better tournament at the Juniors, but, since neither player is in the NHL yet, no need for argument. My only point was that we are seeing nice development from many of the players selected by the Renney/Maloney team. This group has had only three years in place and ARE producing results. I, for one, have faith in this group's drafting ability. It also why I have no problem with the selection of Jessiman last year. This is NOT Smith's draft team, nor is it Sather's draft team from the Oiler debacle of the '90's. I like what I've seen so far (aside from the confusing Falardeau pick.) BTW, since Tyutin, Blackburn, Murray, Lampman, Zdlicky and Ortmeyer have played "AN NHL GAME", I can "brag" about that.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Barnaby

I agree with Jas. I'm not a big fan of the Sather regime, but the one thing they've done is draft pretty well. We don't have many upcoming stars do to prior trades and such, but we haven't really had any top 10 pick busts either. Other then Falardeu, I think the scouts have done a good job. We look like we have some real young talent on this team.

I'm not saying they've drafted better then any other team in hockey right now, but they undeniably have some solid NHL talent on their hands. It'll be at least a few years before we really know exactly what we have, but we have a peek at it now.

As for Potters comments, of course you can't totally grade a draft until about 5 years later, but you can certainly see when you have 5 guys knocking on the door, and playing that youv'e done a pretty decent job. For instance, we can't totally say what Parise will be, but most people you talk to will say that NJ made a great pick.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I don't care what anyone says, this Baranka kid is going to be a very good player. He has a great attitude, leads by example, and takes care of business in front of the net. His playoff point total is almost as high as the points he racked up all season.

Again, he was only playing about 30 games a year in Slovakia, including international play. This year he's already up to 74 games played...and counting, and his play just gets better & better.

He still needs to grow a bit, but still, can't wait to see him play in the pro's.

Old
04-28-2004, 03:57 PM
charliemurphy

Baranka

Quote:
I've read reports that make him a Tyutin clone, but lately I've been getting the impression that he is much more physical than Fedor. Granted Tyutin is no wall flower, but it seems that Baranka seeks the physical play whereas Tyutin does not.
He is taking the same mold as Tyutin but he is more physical.
I can definitely see him being paired on a top-two line in the future.
Perhaps with Tyutin or Kondratiev.
The future Ranger defense looks pretty good with a core of: Tyutin/Kondratiev/Pock/and Baranka.

Old
04-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I know Baranka has been playing the right side, doesn't Tyutin play the same side? Both are lefties, i guess they could both play either side.

Old
04-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Fletch

I think I love this guy...

That's the exact attitude needed in the Rangers' organization. Someone who knows his role, accepts it, and just wants to do his part to contribute to the team winning. The other amazing item is the fact that Baranka's the only player on Everett drafted by and NHL team. This guy, perhaps, can be doing more than his fair share to help this team win. What a great experience for him.

Granted, he's only in the WHL right now and that's a long way to the NHL, but it appears as though his development is right on track. And heck, this kid's not even 18 years of age.

Old
04-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I guess that means we should hold off on the Parise praise, huh? Afterall, many people thought Dawes had a better tournament at the Juniors, but, since neither player is in the NHL yet, no need for argument. My only point was that we are seeing nice development from many of the players selected by the Renney/Maloney team. This group has had only three years in place and ARE producing results. I, for one, have faith in this group's drafting ability. It also why I have no problem with the selection of Jessiman last year. This is NOT Smith's draft team, nor is it Sather's draft team from the Oiler debacle of the '90's. I like what I've seen so far (aside from the confusing Falardeau pick.) BTW, since Tyutin, Blackburn, Murray, Lampman, Zdlicky and Ortmeyer have played "AN NHL GAME", I can "brag" about that.
no way jas you can't praise the sather regime on these boards. damn don't you know the rangers only have future 3/4th line guys. :bonk: :gman:

Old
04-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Fletch

You can praise, I guess...

but we'll see in the next 2-4 years whether or not it's praise-worthy. I like the crew overall, and should really like it after the draft this season, but I think Edge has been spot-on with what he's said thus far about the quality overall. As jas mentioned, several have played NHL games, and I think we've liked them all, but if you break it down, Tyutin everybody thinks will be a solid top four defenseman, Murray's a great guy to have, but will likely be a third liner at best, Ortmeyer's got smarts and plays it hard, but also is a third liner at best, Blackburn's had some good games but lost a crucial year of development and who knows how much that's set him back, and Zidlicky may be nothing more than Andy Delmore. So who knows at this point...

Old
04-28-2004, 04:47 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch

That's the exact attitude needed in the Rangers' organization. Someone who knows his role, accepts it, and just wants to do his part to contribute to the team winning. The other amazing item is the fact that Baranka's the only player on Everett drafted by and NHL team. This guy, perhaps, can be doing more than his fair share to help this team win. What a great experience for him.

Granted, he's only in the WHL right now and that's a long way to the NHL, but it appears as though his development is right on track. And heck, this kid's not even 18 years of age.
Agreed, Fletch. That's the comment that caught my eye. Baranka still has a ways to go, but he does have promise

Old
04-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch

Bah, he's just another one of Sather's soft Euros.

Old
04-28-2004, 09:04 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Watch in two years Lee Farlardeau will look like Joel Otto centering our checking line. This is the exact intent of drafting this player.

Old
04-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
Watch in two years Lee Farlardeau will look like Joel Otto centering our checking line. This is the exact intent of drafting this player.
But, Lee has never played as an aggressive game as Otto was capable of, why would you say this?

Old
04-29-2004, 11:36 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
But, Lee has never played as an aggressive game as Otto was capable of, why would you say this?
Seriously, just because Jackass said that he could be Otto does not make it gospel. Sather has said a lot of things. Most are either lies or nothing but hot air.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Seriously, just because Jackass said that he could be Otto does not make it gospel. Sather has said a lot of things. Most are either lies or nothing but hot air.
how can u judge Farlardeau as a bad player but go crazy when somebody praises a rangers prospect?

Old
04-29-2004, 12:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
how can u judge Farlardeau as a bad player but go crazy when somebody praises a rangers prospect?
Which "prospect" did I go "crazy" about after recieving praise? Please don't tell me it's Marcus Jonasen, whom some people were penciling in as a 2nd line PF? Falardeau has shown absolutely nothing as a college player. Not one thing. He cannot neither skate, shoot, nor hit. I would say that Falardeua qualifys as a bizarre Sather pick that goes nowhere. To date, he has not even shown enough to be an ECHL regular.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Which "prospect" did I go "crazy" about after recieving praise? Please don't tell me it's Marcus Jonasen, whom some people were penciling in as a 2nd line PF? Falardeau has shown absolutely nothing as a college player. Not one thing. He cannot neither skate, shoot, nor hit. I would say that Falardeua qualifys as a bizarre Sather pick that goes nowhere. To date, he has not even shown enough to be an ECHL regular.
what about ortmeyer? i guess your future predictions of ortmeyer should be thrown out the window. your faint praise of pock is laughable. marcus jonasen was hurt much of last season but when he was healthy was playing wonderful hockey. i know you think he should have been in the ahl. :lol

I saw a lot of falardeau this past season and he shut down every single line that he went up against he is never going to be a superstar but he will be an important cog for an NHL team someday.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:37 PM
True Blue

Quote:
what about ortmeyer? i guess your future predictions of ortmeyer should be thrown out the window.
The fact that I said that unless Jed develops more of an offensive game, he will never be more than a 4th liner is legit. I doubt that qualifies as going "crazy".

"your faint praise of pock is laughable."

My faint praise of Pock? Dude, you got to wipe the crap from your glasses and read thing w/o a predetermined bias. Go reread all that I wrote on Pock. If my dislcaimer that one cannot go too nuts and pencil him in on the top pair after playing only a handfull of games in the league is the thing that makes it laughable, the only joke here is your choosing to go after that particular comment. But go ahead and make useless efforts to find something that is even close to a slam on Pock by me. Report back when you find it. I'll bet that we'll be waiting for quite a while.

"I saw a lot of falardeau this past season and he shut down every single line that he went up against he is never going to be a superstar but he will be an important cog for an NHL team someday."

I'm glad that you have such a high opinion of him. Sure that you are not taking this view just becuase of me? IF Falardeua ever makes it to the NHL, it will be a miracle.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
what about ortmeyer? i guess your future predictions of ortmeyer should be thrown out the window. your faint praise of pock is laughable. marcus jonasen was hurt much of last season but when he was healthy was playing wonderful hockey. i know you think he should have been in the ahl. :lol

I saw a lot of falardeau this past season and he shut down every single line that he went up against he is never going to be a superstar but he will be an important cog for an NHL team someday.

Which games? I saw two games he played in this year and both games all he did was be tall. He didn't hit(pokecheck anyone?), didn't generate offense, and would've been totally invisible if not for his height.

I'm not saying Falardeau can't play, he's an excellent skater, and has shown decent ability at times, but with all that he's been very mediocre.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
The fact that I said that unless Jed develops more of an offensive game, he will never be more than a 4th liner is legit. I doubt that qualifies as going "crazy".

"your faint praise of pock is laughable."

My faint praise of Pock? Dude, you got to wipe the crap from your glasses and read thing w/o a predetermined bias. Go reread all that I wrote on Pock. If my dislcaimer that one cannot go too nuts and pencil him in on the top pair after playing only a handfull of games in the league is the thing that makes it laughable, the only joke here is your choosing to go after that particular comment. But go ahead and make useless efforts to find something that is even close to a slam on Pock by me. Report back when you find it. I'll bet that we'll be waiting for quite a while.

"I saw a lot of falardeau this past season and he shut down every single line that he went up against he is never going to be a superstar but he will be an important cog for an NHL team someday."

I'm glad that you have such a high opinion of him. Sure that you are not taking this view just becuase of me? IF Falardeua ever makes it to the NHL, it will be a miracle.
don't flatter yourself go reread everything i have said about Lee.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Which games? I saw two games he played in this year and both games all he did was be tall. He didn't hit(pokecheck anyone?), didn't generate offense, and would've been totally invisible if not for his height.

I'm not saying Falardeau can't play, he's an excellent skater, and has shown decent ability at times, but with all that he's been very mediocre.
dude cstv had about 10 State games on this year. falardeu was outstanding.

Closed Thread