HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Czech Rep. first to join KHL

Old
03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
NMF78

vCash: 500
http://www.iihf.com/nc/home-of-hocke...in-russia.html

Quote:
The Lions will be working with the largest budget in Czech sports. The rumoured figure is € 15 million. This would be 25 per cent more than the country’s most expensive sports team, the football team of Sparta Prague.

a team from the Czech Republic seems to me a more logical step then a team from Sweden joining the KHL

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:03 PM
NMF78

I also heared rumours Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk will join the KHL next year.

some pictures of there arena on this: http://csp-ugra.ru/arena-ugra/

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

They would have better luck adding teams in east Asia.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
gingerninja*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
New development here... New team became a member of czech hockey federation, but it will need their permission to play KHL They may decline as well as swedes with AIK did. I hope they will let them to play in KHL.
I read somewhere, don't remember where that czech hockey federation got nothing against them joining KHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
They would have better luck adding teams in east Asia.
It doesn't matter where the team comes from, in what level plays as long as you have budget to buy new players, hell even team from England could join if owner has enough money, even though England sucks in hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF78 View Post
I also heared rumours Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk will join the KHL next year.

some pictures of there arena on this: http://csp-ugra.ru/arena-ugra/
Pretty sweet looking arena

gingerninja* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
I read somewhere, don't remember where that czech hockey federation got nothing against them joining KHL
Thats very unsure. They are going to discuss this thing and Im realy afraid of their decision...

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Zine

If Czech hockey federation's #1 objective is growing the game, they'd be crazy not to do this.

1. hockey popularity is dying in Czech.
2. there's little NHL exposure
3. level of play of Extraliga is declining

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiyHockey View Post
I'd rather see money go towards further development of hockey within Russia, such as women's hockey and children's hockey, rather than towards attracting random single European clubs.

I doubt that money would go to Russian hockey anyhow.

As I gather, Czech companies are the main sponsors, as are Russian companies with business interests in Czech Rep (who I doubt would offer that much funding if it wasn't a czech team).

Old
03-10-2010, 06:19 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
If Czech hockey federation's #1 objective is growing the game, they'd be crazy not to do this.

1. hockey popularity is dying in Czech.
2. there's little NHL exposure
3. level of play of Extraliga is declining
Yea, but they are not thinking about czech hockey. If they will allow them to play KHL, then only for profit made by selling players to this new club. But Im afraid that Association of proffesional hockey clubs, which has strong influence in Czech hockey fed. will not want new club in Czech republic, which could be more succesful, than they are. But I hope Im wrong.

Old
03-10-2010, 11:50 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
So let me see if I get this right.

The KHL is going to PAY for a second tier Czech club to play in the KHL and finance their budget.

In reality this would be a money transfer from Russia to Czech Republic (which is a richer country than Russia per capita) without a chance to make any kind of a profit out of it.

How will Russian hockey benefit? How will the KHL benefit? The only beneficiary would be the Czech hockey club which will receive free funding from Russia.
It's 100% strategic and political. Got nothing to do with helping russian hockey, it's about growing the league. The ultimate goal of the KHL is to get bought out by the NHL for European expansion.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:26 PM
IceBreaker

I am a Canadian that stayed in Hradec Kralove during the Dec 07/Jan 08 WJC in Pardubice and Liberec.

It is a beautiful city. However, I didn't think of it as a major city. There are only about 100,000 residents. It would seem to be a city of much less significance to the Czech Republic than Winnipeg or Hamilton is to Canada.

Does anyone have concern that by not going into a major city, the KHL is at risk of having this experiment fail?

IceBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:57 PM
gingerninja*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
So let me see if I get this right.

The KHL is going to PAY for a second tier Czech club to play in the KHL and finance their budget.

In reality this would be a money transfer from Russia to Czech Republic (which is a richer country than Russia per capita) without a chance to make any kind of a profit out of it.

How will Russian hockey benefit? How will the KHL benefit? The only beneficiary would be the Czech hockey club which will receive free funding from Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
It's 100% strategic and political. Got nothing to do with helping russian hockey, it's about growing the league. The ultimate goal of the KHL is to get bought out by the NHL for European expansion.
Guys, you don't read anything that is written on purpose or what? They have said that they have local sponsors and according to them they got pretty solid budget already, but they are still looking for more. And it is NOT team from 2nd Czech league, they will make BRAND NEW club, it will only be based in the same city and use the same arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post
I am a Canadian that stayed in Hradec Kralove during the Dec 07/Jan 08 WJC in Pardubice and Liberec.

It is a beautiful city. However, I didn't think of it as a major city. There are only about 100,000 residents. It would seem to be a city of much less significance to the Czech Republic than Winnipeg or Hamilton is to Canada.

Does anyone have concern that by not going into a major city, the KHL is at risk of having this experiment fail?
I am afraid of this too

Last edited by gingerninja*: 03-10-2010 at 02:02 PM.
gingerninja* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:38 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post

It seems out of character so far with current KHL expansion plans.
Minsk 1.8 million, 3 million in Metro
Riga 730,000, 1 million in metro
Astana 800,000, (not sure if that includes metro)
Voskresensk out 70,000 (but in the Moscow area) Yekaterinburg in 1.3 million

It seems rather odd that the KHL would target a city of about 100,000 when it appears they are moving away from smaller cities and into larger centers. If I were the KHL I would be targeting larger cities in Russia and in other countries.

Russia
Samara
Rostov-on-Don
Vladivostok (at least teams could fly out and at least play two teams instead of just Khabarovsk)
Sochi (But a growing city)
I am sure there are others but those stick out in my head

Ukraine (I think Ukraine could support one KHL team)
Kiev
Kharkiv,
Dnipropetrovsk,
Odessa,
Donetsk

Slovakia (Slovakian hockey is sort of dying, a KHL team could grow the sport again)
Bratislava

Granted I don’t know the hockey climates of these cities, but I think at least some of these cities would make more sense than a 100,000 czech city. Maybe someone who knows more than me can shed some light on this

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 07:24 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
It seems out of character so far with current KHL expansion plans.
Minsk 1.8 million, 3 million in Metro
Riga 730,000, 1 million in metro
Astana 800,000, (not sure if that includes metro)
Voskresensk out 70,000 (but in the Moscow area) Yekaterinburg in 1.3 million

It seems rather odd that the KHL would target a city of about 100,000 when it appears they are moving away from smaller cities and into larger centers. If I were the KHL I would be targeting larger cities in Russia and in other countries.

Russia
Samara
Rostov-on-Don
Vladivostok (at least teams could fly out and at least play two teams instead of just Khabarovsk)
Sochi (But a growing city)
I am sure there are others but those stick out in my head

Ukraine (I think Ukraine could support one KHL team)
Kiev
Kharkiv,
Dnipropetrovsk,
Odessa,
Donetsk

Slovakia (Slovakian hockey is sort of dying, a KHL team could grow the sport again)
Bratislava

Granted I don’t know the hockey climates of these cities, but I think at least some of these cities would make more sense than a 100,000 czech city. Maybe someone who knows more than me can shed some light on this

Ukrainian team "Budevel'nik" (construction worker in translation) has signed a letter of intent. Uki's have a lot of talented athletes, if materializes - a very welcome addition.
Samara has a team that actually played in Russia's top division CSK VVS Samara, but the team is abandoned as most of sports in the area ("Lada" FC Krylya Sovetov, FC Lada and etc), Rostov wants to have a team in the First Division a KHL team is out of the question (no dough)...

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 07:26 PM
cska78

Sochi will have a team soon, I would move Lada there or Vityaz', but Sochi is a scarcely populated area where tourists are the majority and locals a minority. Even a soccer team there has very low attendance number...

Old
03-18-2010, 09:49 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Ukrainian team "Budevel'nik" (construction worker in translation) has signed a letter of intent. Uki's have a lot of talented athletes, if materializes - a very welcome addition.
Where does that team play? I heard rumours once of Sokil Kiev wanting to play in the KHL and they would have a new arena built by 2014.

A KHL team in Kiev or elsewhere in Ukraine would be one of the most positive developments for hockey in many years. I think this would allow Ukraine to build a functioning hockey federation and improve their national team.

At least some talent whom might not make the Russian national team might have a real decision between Russia and Ukraine.

If Ukraine had:

Anton Babchuk
Nikolai Zherdev
Alexei Mikhnov
Sergei Gaiduchenko (A talented young goalie from what I understand)

They would have a pretty impressive line up.

Also Vityaz does need to get out of the KHL

Last edited by finchster: 03-18-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old
03-19-2010, 05:55 AM
crabcz

vCash: 50
Hradec Kralove seems a bit random city to choose.

crabcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:38 AM
zorz

Quote:
Hradec has only 100 000, but the region has 560 000 inhabitants. And Prague is about 40 min of travelling far away... Main reasons that Hradec is trying to join KHL is reconstructed solid hockey arena and the fact that there is no top czech league teams in the city (neither hockey nor football). So there is enough space to put a new club here. And also this project is strongy supported by city representatives.

And BTW, this week russian misson visited Hradec again and things are going pretty well. People informed about this thing say there is about 70% chance now this project will be succesful.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:40 AM
cska78

Quote:
Where does that team play? I heard rumours once of Sokil Kiev wanting to play in the KHL and they would have a new arena built by 2014.

A KHL team in Kiev or elsewhere in Ukraine would be one of the most positive developments for hockey in many years. I think this would allow Ukraine to build a functioning hockey federation and improve their national team.

At least some talent whom might not make the Russian national team might have a real decision between Russia and Ukraine.

If Ukraine had:

Anton Babchuk
Nikolai Zherdev
Alexei Mikhnov
Sergei Gaiduchenko (A talented young goalie from what I understand)

They would have a pretty impressive line up.

Also Vityaz does need to get out of the KHL
This Ukrainian team doesn't exist yet, only on paper, they would obviously play in Kiev, where Sokol played during it's better years.

Old
03-22-2010, 08:59 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Hradec has only 100 000, but the region has 560 000 inhabitants. And Prague is about 40 min of traveling far away... Main reasons that Hradec is trying to join KHL is reconstructed solid hockey arena and the fact that there is no top czech league teams in the city (neither hockey nor football). So there is enough space to put a new club here. And also this project is strongy supported by city representatives.

And BTW, this week russian misson visited Hradec again and things are going pretty well. People informed about this thing say there is about 70% chance now this project will be successful.
I wouldn't count on anyone from Prague going to Hradec to watch hockey. It is a rare situation where people will travel from the larger city to the smaller city for entertainment. Even if Hradec has 560,000 in its region that is still on average half the size of the cities the KHL has expanded to.

I don't know if it will work, but I would like to see the KHL become sucessful

Old
03-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Zine

It's more likely fans from Pardubice would travel to Hradec Kralove. That place has a huge hockey following and is very close by.

Old
03-22-2010, 11:21 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
It's more likely fans from Pardubice would travel to Hradec Kralove. That place has a huge hockey following and is very close by.
Perhaps, but Pardubice has the most well attended clubs in Czech hockey and all of Europe. I am not sure if the fans will give up their allegiance to their team for a team in a different city. I would also argue as of right now, aside from the top teams in the KHL, the Czech league is not a step down (or at least a minor one) in terms of quality. Might not be enough to make a fan switch.

It will be interesting to see how this works out

Old
03-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Zine

Quote:
Perhaps, but Pardubice has the most well attended clubs in Czech hockey and all of Europe. I am not sure if the fans will give up their allegiance to their team for a team in a different city. I would also argue as of right now, aside from the top teams in the KHL, the Czech league is not a step down (or at least a minor one) in terms of quality. Might not be enough to make a fan switch.

It will be interesting to see how this works out
Well the majority of the fan base will be from Hradec. Interest from other cities would be a valuable supplement.

I think a lot depends on the amount of talent Hradec can purchase because the Czech League is very devoid of top end talent.
Obviously, people will support their home club first, but I could imagine a lot of hockey fans willing to travel to watch national team level players. I know I would in that situation.

But, yeah, it should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old
03-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Rjinswand

Quote:
[...] Pardubice has the most well attended clubs in Czech hockey and all of Europe.
I'm not sure about that.

How do the clubs fans in Hradec Králové react to the plans?

Rjinswand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:09 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
And after yesterday's meeting it looks unlikely that Hradec Kralove will join.
Yugra is pretty much in, while Budevelnik might join as well, their problem is that the cutoff date is damn close (1st of April)

03-23-2010, 04:20 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
And after yesterday's meeting it looks unlikely that Hradec Kralove will join.
Yugra is pretty much in, while Budevelnik might join as well, their problem is that the cutoff date is damn close (1st of April)
What meeting? Can you say something more about that?