HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 2-1

Old
03-06-2010, 12:08 AM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post
With Giguere in net, the Leafs have the chance of him stealing them a point or two here or there, like he did in Boston last night. And there's no way that Brian Burke is going to allow his team finish dead last. He could fire the head coach and that always gives any team a boost for a week or two.

It's really irritating though. Comparing our two rosters there is should be no way we should be competing with Toronto for last place.

They have a real goaltender in net, a decent defence and a high profile goal scorer up front. Meanwhile half our team is either injured, an AHLer or just got traded here.

Can't Toronto just start playing with a bit of pride and win some games?

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 500
Yay Oilers, a well deserved win! Hopefully our young guys can keep up the good work for the rest of the year and prove the naysayers wrong!!

Go Oilers Go

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:09 AM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
Bumped into Comrie at the concourse in Chicago... Congratulated him as he walked by on the engagement and slapped a high five... Guy is small!

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:14 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 96
oilers win

this is someones idea of a joke, right?

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoo View Post
Bumped into Comrie at the concourse in Chicago... Congratulated him as he walked by on the engagement and slapped a high five... Guy is small!
Good to know he didn't leave you hanging.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:19 AM
bzur

Whitney showed a lot of patience with the puck, and threw his body around. I like him. Boogyman doesn't belong in the oeague.. **** him

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

I'm going to go in the opposite direction of everyone on these boards and cheer for every damn Oilers win this season. I'm a fan and I wanna cheer for hard work, good play, and a winning attitude. If the Oilers happen to finish last, I am happy with the first or second pick. If they win every game from here on in, good, because that shows the willingness of these players to win!!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I'm going to go in the opposite direction of everyone on these boards and cheer for every damn Oilers win this season. I'm a fan and I wanna cheer for hard work, good play, and a winning attitude. If the Oilers happen to finish last, I am happy with the first or second pick. If they win every game from here on in, good, because that shows the willingness of these players to win!!
yeah, i'm in the same boat, got my kids out of bed to watch the 3rd period (without mom knowing ) - i just can't help cheering for a win - 1st overall, 2nd, 3rd, 10th, whatever, I love when the oil win, and so do the kids

Thrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:26 AM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
It's really irritating though. Comparing our two rosters there is should be no way we should be competing with Toronto for last place.

They have a real goaltender in net, a decent defence and a high profile goal scorer up front. Meanwhile half our team is either injured, an AHLer or just got traded here.

Do you realize what you are asking?

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:27 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill22 View Post
yeah, i'm in the same boat, got my kids out of bed to watch the 3rd period (without mom knowing ) - i just can't help cheering for a win - 1st overall, 2nd, 3rd, 10th, whatever, I love when the oil win, and so do the kids
My dad is the same way, he despises the fact that I am cheering against them every night...but if we don't do this now then we may never see the playoffs for the next decade...and I simply cannot deal with that...I need to see the oilers compete and become a contending team 3-5 years from now....so i'll be cheering against them till we have hall/seguin and adam larsson

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post

The way you started the post I thought you were going to say that there was no way we should be last when a team like Toronto is around. The bolded word is the reason why they suck so badly. They traded 5 of their top 6 scoring forwards. I'm still in awe they managed to trade Jason Blake.

We stand a good chance of beating them next week.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Delta Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Watch as these ****ing idiots cost us the first pick overall.

DOUBLE FACE PALM

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:33 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
If Oilers finish 2nd last and lose the lottery (one of the teams 3-5 win it), the Oilers pick 3rd. Finishing last is key to ensure that Hall or Seguin get picked.
Not exactly. If Toronto finished ahead and won the lottery we would still draft second. If the 3,4, or 5th team wins the lottery the would move up 4 spots and the oilers would then draft 3rd. Any other winner after 5th can only move up a maximum of 4 spots so would not supplant the oilers at second.

Edit - duh, that is exactly what you said basically.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Will you guys come to grips with the fact the Oilers will win at least 4 more games?

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Wheatking

Stauffer just threw out an interesting stat. Nilsson has been on the top line 20 of the last 25 games.

Last 25 games
Penner: 5 goals and 10 points
Nilsson: 3 goals and 10 points

Get Nilsson off the line and put Brule back on it.

Old
03-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Wheatking

Anyone have video of the Boogaard hit?

Old
03-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Matador

Not putting Brule on the top line might be a calculated move by the coaching staff and management to keep the dive alive. Just a couple weeks ago it seemed that we had the 30th spot all locked up, but Toronto brought another level of suck to their game.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Section337

Actually rather enjoyed myself at the game tonight. First time in a long time. Won a couple movie tickets, got fair value for my entertainment dollar, positive spin on a Friday night, did not have to satisfy myself via mental masturbation about a draft choice.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Can somebody tell me how Whitney played?

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
Can somebody tell me how Whitney played?
26+ minutes, fairly steady, had the puck a lot, got involved in a scrum or 2, paired with Gilbert. Those 2 are going to see big ice time for the rest of the year.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:53 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Actually rather enjoyed myself at the game tonight. First time in a long time. Won a couple movie tickets, got fair value for my entertainment dollar, positive spin on a Friday night, did not have to satisfy myself via mental masturbation about a draft choice.
Exactly. I understand the dive BUT I will not ever cheer for the Oilers to lose.

Old
03-06-2010, 12:54 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
26+ minutes, fairly steady, had the puck a lot, got involved in a scrum or 2, paired with Gilbert. Those 2 are going to see big ice time for the rest of the year.
Also had a great hit which injured one of the Wild. He had trouble getting to the bench after.

More physical than I was led to believe!

Old
03-06-2010, 12:54 AM
DousedInOil

Edmonton is still 13 points ahead of Carolina and 14 points ahead of Florida and the New York Islanders. Can Edmonton win 7 more games then the Carolina Hurricanes this year? Possibly, but very unlikely.

A team with 59 points in 63 games has an average of 0.936 pts/games, which if continued at the same rate would leave them with 77 points by seasons end. Since Edmonton only has 46 points that means that it would have to get 31 points in 18 games. Thus, we have to go 15-2-1 to finish the year.

Haha, watch now that I say that Carolina has a huge series of injuries and doesnt win a single game for the reast of the season.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:03 AM
DousedInOil

What really worries me is that everyone thinks that we are going to be a bottom 5 team in the leauge again next year. Nothing is certain here, I mean if we grab Hall/Seguin and rush a few of our prospects we might not actually be THAT bad. Not only that but management could be tempted to go after free agents.

Jagr-Seguin-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Brule
Paajarvai-Horcoff-Eberle
Jones-Comrie-Stortini
Jacques

Whitney-Souray
Volchenkov-Gilbert
Peckham-Smid
Chorney

Khabby
JDD

I'm not saying thats the greatest team in the world but it's one that might not be a bottom 5 team (more like bottom 10). A healthy Khabby alone could single handedly push us outside of the top 10. Management better stick with the plan.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:08 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
What really worries me is that everyone thinks that we are going to be a bottom 5 team in the leauge again next year. Nothing is certain here, I mean if we grab Hall/Seguin and rush a few of our prospects we might not actually be THAT bad. Not only that but management could be tempted to go after free agents.

Jagr-Seguin-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Brule
Paajarvai-Horcoff-Eberle
Jones-Comrie-Stortini
Jacques

Whitney-Souray
Volchenkov-Gilbert
Peckham-Smid
Chorney

Khabby
JDD

I'm not saying thats the greatest team in the world but it's one that might not be a bottom 5 team (more like bottom 10). A healthy Khabby alone could single handedly push us outside of the top 10. Management better stick with the plan.
One of these years we aren't going to have 300+ man games to injury.