HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Vinny/Marty Skate Away During Anthem

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2010, 06:42 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

vCash: 500
Vinny/Marty Skate Away During Anthem

Anyone else notice this?

Vinny is my favorite Bolt and one of my favorite players in the leauge, but this has always bothered me.

Close to the end, but before the national anthem is over, they put their helmets on and skate around. Kinda irks me. I know they're not American, but it seems distasteful even if it some tradition/superstition.

Old
02-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Thepuckdropshere

Players do it all the time on almost every team. No big deal

Old
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Anthems don't belong in Sports excluding international tournaments. Just a waste of time especially since the majority of the players come from somewhere else besides the United States. If I was king of Sports my first move would be to scrap them.

Nof if you want to talk about pet peeves I hate when an opposing player is the last one off for warmups, it's your home ice you should be the last one off.

02-11-2010, 07:14 PM
CSampson

Players like to get their blood going and stay warm, standing still chills you off. It's kinda dumb to make them stand their anyways, they obviously aren't trying to give the finger to the American anthem.

Old
02-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Sorry but who gives a ****? I'm for ditching anthems altogether. Lets play hockey!

Old
02-11-2010, 10:54 PM
sonny side up

I see alot of players do this.. Especially goalies.. I notice it every game that someone does this.. Personally, I think it's equivalent to people cheering during the last two lines of the song or people putting on their hats. It not disrespectful, it's just the end and they want the stuff to get started.

Old
02-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Hockeyfan02

I doubt they mean anything disrespectful by it.

Old
02-12-2010, 12:39 AM
PensFan6687

As a good Canadian hockey fan I sneer, boo the American anthem, and imagine urinating on the flag... teasing the original poster aside, I love that they do the anthems. It's tradition and it doesn't hurt anyone. I think Canada and the US have the two best anthems around, and I will go as far as saying, I prefer the US anthem to the Canadian French anthem. *bolts for it*

Seriously though, they probably mean no disrespect.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:29 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

I didn't mean to take it that far lol, I just didn't know what others thought.

As for anthems in sports, I love it and think it is a great way to start a game. I'd consider myself quite patriotic, I yell at any man, woman, or child wearing a hat during the anthem and even sing along.

I love my country and always enjoy getting to show it the respect it deserves.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I didn't mean to take it that far lol, I just didn't know what others thought.

As for anthems in sports, I love it and think it is a great way to start a game. I'd consider myself quite patriotic, I yell at any man, woman, or child wearing a hat during the anthem and even sing along.

I love my country and always enjoy getting to show it the respect it deserves.
Have you consulted your country on if it likes the anthem?

Old
02-12-2010, 07:27 AM
brymel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
Sorry but who gives a ****? I'm for ditching anthems altogether. Lets play hockey!
Just don't get rid of it at the United Center when the Hawks play! That guy is amazing...that place is amazing when he is singing!

Old
02-12-2010, 09:52 AM
StammerHed2010

Sometimes they skate away sometimes they don't.
Actually when I've noticed it, our team is pretty good about staying in comparison to other teams.

That being said.....

By far the coolest part of bolts games is when they honor the Hero of the Game (a retired, on leave, or about to deploy American soldier.....

the entire bench stands and taps their sticks......and its not just a short thing, they make it known that they mean it.

LOL you could even see them yelling at the Canucks the other day to join in....it was very very cool.

Anyways, if Vinny wants to sit down during the anthem, I'm cool with it.....I'll still think he's a good guy, I mean.....

3million dollar Childrens Cancer Center>Standing during another countries anthem.

Old
02-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I don't see the purpose of anthems. Like anything else, it just creates a Pavlovian reflex to bear with it. It's something that's considered a tradition, for better or worse, and you can only imagine the media ****storm that would happen if they got rid of it now.

It's a league decision first of all, and they are so desperate to get a hold of the American market, they wouldn't allow teams to drop it, even if the general public wanted to drop it. Which they wouldn't, because they're not supposed to.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:25 PM
bassassin

There is enough flag waving in America without anthems in ice hockey.

I mean I dont see such a big deal with the national anthem....I dont even know the words to the English one. Olympics/national/specific events aside it doesnt really have a place

Old
02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Maria

I don't think they do it on purpose or to be disrespectful.

But the one thing I do see a differece is that many North American players don't sing the anthems, maybe because they hear it so many times, but in other parts of the world in other sports like soccer, most of the players sing the anthems with a lot of passion and respect.

Maybe is a cultural difference, but where I come from the anthem is very, very respected by everyone.

Old
02-12-2010, 06:10 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Anyone else notice this?

Vinny is my favorite Bolt and one of my favorite players in the leauge, but this has always bothered me.

Close to the end, but before the national anthem is over, they put their helmets on and skate around. Kinda irks me. I know they're not American, but it seems distasteful even if it some tradition/superstition.
Here's the deal and I mean no disrespect here but if you were doing what you were supposed to be doing during the anthem then you would never notice anybody else doing anything. 6 years in the Navy taught me that you focus on one thing during a Colors presentation, the Flag. It should be the focus of all your attention. If that were the case then you wouldn't notice Vinny skating off. I know I've never noticed. I couldn't care less if people want the anthem before games or not. I want it, think it's necessary for people to remember where they come from and how many people ****ing died so they can enjoy a hockey game in peace with the freedom to do so whenever they want. Far too many people have forgotten sacrifices others have made to ensure their freedom. That or they never learned.

Thanks for firing me up.

Old
02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
BRichards19

Anyone know the names of the two guys that sometimes do the anthem at the Forum? One of them plays the guitar.

When they do the anthem, I really enjoy it. If you ask me, they should sing every home game.

Old
02-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRichards19 View Post
Anyone know the names of the two guys that sometimes do the anthem at the Forum? One of them plays the guitar.

When they do the anthem, I really enjoy it. If you ask me, they should sing every home game.
I think their names are Marshall and Les. The people that have sat next to me for the last 13 years go to the same church and they said those guys sing there also. They do an awesome job!

Old
02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Look, I'm as jingoistic as can be and firmly beleive in U.S., love it or leave it, but those guys on the ice are in a zone and are concentrating on the game, not to mention trying to stay "warm" and loose, which is pretty important. Khabi used to do a spin in net at virtually the same moment of the US anthem each game. Who knows why. Don't care, but it was his routine and didn't effect me.

The reason for the anthem is tradition from baseball and grew out of WWI and became tradition by the end of WWII.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/16023

Old
02-14-2010, 01:53 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
so you're one of those people lol.. it makes the games fun for me since I never take my hat off...

Old
02-14-2010, 03:52 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

While i find the Canadian anthem pretty awesome, I also agree that I would prefer that there were no anthems unless it is an international game. A few years ago I had to witness these ignorant people in San Jose booing the Canadian anthem during the playoffs, duh, didn' they know that half of the Sharks team was comprised of Canadians? Anyway, anthem/flag to me brings ideas of what our country is doing around the world and I am NOT proud of it, in fact it almost makes me want to sit down during the anthems, so ya, I agree lets scrap them....

Old
02-15-2010, 06:53 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
While i find the Canadian anthem pretty awesome, I also agree that I would prefer that there were no anthems unless it is an international game. A few years ago I had to witness these ignorant people in San Jose booing the Canadian anthem during the playoffs, duh, didn' they know that half of the Sharks team was comprised of Canadians? Anyway, anthem/flag to me brings ideas of what our country is doing around the world and I am NOT proud of it, in fact it almost makes me want to sit down during the anthems, so ya, I agree lets scrap them....
So because you don't like it you want to end for everyone? No one makes you participate. Go out into the commons/food stands until your country's "war chant" is over if you are THAT offended. Of course, you choose to attach those feelings to the broader meaning of a national anthem.

There are ignorant people everywhere. After the U.S. national anthem was booed by Montreal fans a few years ago, some people booed the Canadian anthem here in Tampa, but they were shouted down. So maybe there is more to the story than you know.

Go U...S....A....

Old
03-03-2010, 04:06 PM
AhSurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymel View Post
Just don't get rid of it at the United Center when the Hawks play! That guy is amazing...that place is amazing when he is singing!
I'm with you on that one. I've never experienced it personally but even on TV the American anthem in Chicago gives me goosebumps and I'm Canadian. I try to catch it on centre ice whenever I remember if I'm not watching the Hawks that night.

Old
03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Anthems are stupid.

Old
03-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Canucksfans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I doubt they mean anything disrespectful by it.
I think its tradition. I never understood why they play them before games except its tradition.

Closed Thread