HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's with all the Theodore talk?

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Karl Pilkington

vCash: 500
What's with all the Theodore talk?

I noticed (mainly from the thread that suggested trading him) that a lot of people are not giving Theodore the credit he deserves right now..
Some of you guys even suggested trading him because he hasn't been playing outsandingly lately.. So every time a player doesn't play his best he should be traded? From what I've read that seems to be what everyone is saying (ie: if he doesn't get his game back we should trade him). That is completely stupid.. if GMs thought like that there would be a billion trades a season, because sometimes players simply go into bad funks..

Theo isn't in a bad funk.. I don't get how some people think he's been playing bad. He's the only reason we won game 7 in round one.. a big reason we won games 5 and 6.. He kept us in the game in the first period of game 2 last Sunday.. last game there was nothing he could do on the GTG and the GWG.. Tampa got the bounces all night (especially on the 2nd goal) and how could he stop a clear cut breakaway like Stillman's?

He's played averagely in this series IMO.. not bad. Everyone seems to be putting alot of the blame on him.. I guess he has to play like a God all the time for people to get off his back.. I guess this is just prove as to how hard it is to play in Montreal.

Old
04-29-2004, 08:22 AM
BLONG7

Some guys are just feeling frustrated with the fact that we are down 3-0...Some fans are fickle day to day...There is no way we should be pinning this on Theo, but the fact remains he is being outplayed by the Bulin Wall, and people should give Tampa credit for their play and their goaltender has been outstanding. One thing everyone should realize is that when Theo steals the show (2002 vs B's) everyone thinks it's great... not always being realistic is what ends up happening. We won the first round with bouncing back from a 3-1 defecit, never to have been done before by the Habs, and now we are facing the first place team, who are beatable, but are a better team than the Bruins... and we deserve a better fate but it hasn't happened that way. Were we suppose to be in this position? Nope... just ask anyone connected with TSN,Sportsnet etc and they had us pegged to miss the playoffs, and some said we would be as bad as Pittsburgh... I would love to see the Habs have a great game 4 tonight(expecially Theo) and then see where it goes for game 5. One game at a time as they say... I wonder what happened to all the Theo bashers that said they would never bash him again after the shutout in game 7 vs the B's.... I guess they have started to bash once again...

Old
04-29-2004, 09:44 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
I noticed (mainly from the thread that suggested trading him) that a lot of people are not giving Theodore the credit he deserves right now..

Theo isn't in a bad funk.. I don't get how some people think he's been playing bad.
Theo has had one good year. Since then he has been an average goaltender. Very hot some games and very cold other games. After two years of mediocre play which is the real Theo... the one that had one great season or the one that had two average seasons.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:18 AM
jcpenny

Why all the Theodore talk? Simple. He's supposed to be the best player on the team and is certainly not worth his 6 mil contract.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Personally i like Garon better as our future. I always feel nervous when Theos in net. Thats all, i have no hate towards Theo what so ever. I just think that if Garon could be better, Theo could get us something real good, Franchise player maybe!

Old
04-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Personally i like Garon better as our future. I always feel nervous when Theos in net. Thats all, i have no hate towards Theo what so ever. I just think that if Garon could be better, Theo could get us something real good, Franchise player maybe!
Theo is our franchise player though right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
Theo has had one good year. Since then he has been an average goaltender. Very hot some games and very cold other games. After two years of mediocre play which is the real Theo... the one that had one great season or the one that had two average seasons.
No he hasn't... he's had 3 good years: 1999-2000 when he lead the league in GAA and was second in shutouts with only 26 starts(he had 5). His career defining season two years ago when he won the hart and vezina... and THIS SEASON after he worked hard all summer to be in good shape and had a HUGE part in the habs success (33 wins, 6 shutouts) during the regular season and in the first round.

So he's had two average seasons out of the last 5... happens to ever goalie or player in the NHL.. this is Theodores 4th season as a starter.. very soon he'll be bale to keep up consistent numbers and everyone will find someone else on the team to talk **** about.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Theo is our franchise player though right now.
No doubt about that, but in the future who knows who will be?

I mean when Theo was drafted, he was not considered a franchise player, like a spezza or Kovalchuk(sp?), right?

Garon could also rise to that status one day!

Old
04-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
No doubt about that, but in the future who knows who will be?

I mean when Theo was drafted, he was not considered a franchise player, like a spezza or Kovalchuk(sp?), right?

Garon could also rise to that status one day!
Garon is definitely amazing and is starting goalie material... but I don't know what I would do if Jose was traded...he's my all time favorite hab player.. (also on that list is the departed Oleg Petrov.. we miss you #14)

Old
04-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Garon is definitely amazing and is starting goalie material... but I don't know what I would do if Jose was traded...he's my all time favorite hab player.. (also on that list is the departed Oleg Petrov.. we miss you #14)
LOL!

Too bad for you i guess.

I like Garon more so it wouldnt bother me much, not that i hate Theo.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Guy!

I would consider this last season of Theo's to be only slightly better than average, and certainly not stellar. He's become a streak goaltender, of sorts, and while, when he's good, he's really good, when he's bad, most cringe.

Up until we played the outdoor game in Edmonton this season, he struggled greatly. Talk all you want about getting in shape and coming in ready to play his best season ever, there's no getting over the fact that he was, at times, brutal.

After the outdoor game he was infinitely better and sustained that solid play basically through until the last couple of weeks of the season, whereupon he fell into another funk. There were games in that stretch where he wasn't at his best, but then you can say that when he was playing badly there were games where he looked almost good. Point is, this season has been a series of three long streaks.

Since the last two weeks of the season, Theo has provided us with about three solid games where you knew he was on and didn't have to worry. Other than that, whenever there's a shot, I cringe and hold my breath. I don't have the confidence in him, and I believe that many of the players have lost a little confidence in him - hence some of the nervous play at times - especially in starting an attack. When you're worried your goalie won't make saves you panic the puck out as fast as possible, and that's no way to generate scoring chances.

The playoffs have not been a showcase for our goalie. He's played about average for the bulk of the time - now, when he lets in those poor goals many collectively shout and say he's terrible, but facing facts, he's just an average goalie right now. He'll make you some saves and he'll blow a couple here and there. He's been stellar for precisely one of ten games this playoff year and has been over average for two. Is that worth $6 million? Is that your franchise?

Now, I'm not going to jump out there and say that we should trade him, not at all. What I will say is that, perhaps Garon should get a far more serious look early next season because, I believe, with a few more games under his belt and a little more confidence, he's going to be at least as good as Theo. Garon, if you're careful to note, is, as far as I can see, a better pure shot-stopper. Now, Theo still has better positioning and rebound control, but those are things that only game experience will give.

And if you consider for a moment what Theo might bring in a trade, it's not necessarily the end of the world. Certainly a quality goalie like that would bring you a piece or two for a second line, which we sorely need. He would also get you a really solid defender, someone that could eat some large minutes and be relied upon regularly. More interesting is what he could bring you at the draft - since this team is still building to the future.

Would a Theo/Perezhogin/Pick for Ovechkin tickle your fancy? It's not out of the realm and before you mention Kolzig, I can pretty much guarantee you he won't be there when the next season starts. Washington wants to rebuild and there's no better way than to rebuild around a goalie who has solid numbers and can be relied upon for a good 25-30 wins a year. As to Perezhogin, the cupboard is stocked and sending away one good kid to aquire you a potential game-breaker is an interesting thought for sure. Pure speculation, mind you, but again I say, the draft brings many surprises and nothing's out of the realm of possibility.

Just one fan's thoughts, mind you, but don't defend something that isn't there. Theo hasn't been all that and a bag of chips; he's been good, for sure, but not great. And with a price tag such as he has, it makes moving him very interesting (and opens up a chunk of change to bring in some other types of help). Keep your minds open to any possibility, that's all I can say.

A Concerned Fan

Old
04-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
I would consider this last season of Theo's to be only slightly better than average, and certainly not stellar. He's become a streak goaltender, of sorts, and while, when he's good, he's really good, when he's bad, most cringe.

Up until we played the outdoor game in Edmonton this season, he struggled greatly. Talk all you want about getting in shape and coming in ready to play his best season ever, there's no getting over the fact that he was, at times, brutal.

After the outdoor game he was infinitely better and sustained that solid play basically through until the last couple of weeks of the season, whereupon he fell into another funk. There were games in that stretch where he wasn't at his best, but then you can say that when he was playing badly there were games where he looked almost good. Point is, this season has been a series of three long streaks.

Since the last two weeks of the season, Theo has provided us with about three solid games where you knew he was on and didn't have to worry. Other than that, whenever there's a shot, I cringe and hold my breath. I don't have the confidence in him, and I believe that many of the players have lost a little confidence in him - hence some of the nervous play at times - especially in starting an attack. When you're worried your goalie won't make saves you panic the puck out as fast as possible, and that's no way to generate scoring chances.

The playoffs have not been a showcase for our goalie. He's played about average for the bulk of the time - now, when he lets in those poor goals many collectively shout and say he's terrible, but facing facts, he's just an average goalie right now. He'll make you some saves and he'll blow a couple here and there. He's been stellar for precisely one of ten games this playoff year and has been over average for two. Is that worth $6 million? Is that your franchise?

Now, I'm not going to jump out there and say that we should trade him, not at all. What I will say is that, perhaps Garon should get a far more serious look early next season because, I believe, with a few more games under his belt and a little more confidence, he's going to be at least as good as Theo. Garon, if you're careful to note, is, as far as I can see, a better pure shot-stopper. Now, Theo still has better positioning and rebound control, but those are things that only game experience will give.

And if you consider for a moment what Theo might bring in a trade, it's not necessarily the end of the world. Certainly a quality goalie like that would bring you a piece or two for a second line, which we sorely need. He would also get you a really solid defender, someone that could eat some large minutes and be relied upon regularly. More interesting is what he could bring you at the draft - since this team is still building to the future.

Would a Theo/Perezhogin/Pick for Ovechkin tickle your fancy? It's not out of the realm and before you mention Kolzig, I can pretty much guarantee you he won't be there when the next season starts. Washington wants to rebuild and there's no better way than to rebuild around a goalie who has solid numbers and can be relied upon for a good 25-30 wins a year. As to Perezhogin, the cupboard is stocked and sending away one good kid to aquire you a potential game-breaker is an interesting thought for sure. Pure speculation, mind you, but again I say, the draft brings many surprises and nothing's out of the realm of possibility.

Just one fan's thoughts, mind you, but don't defend something that isn't there. Theo hasn't been all that and a bag of chips; he's been good, for sure, but not great. And with a price tag such as he has, it makes moving him very interesting (and opens up a chunk of change to bring in some other types of help). Keep your minds open to any possibility, that's all I can say.

A Concerned Fan
Very well said Guy!

Closed Thread