HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where the OK years more damaging or helpful?

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2010, 09:36 AM
kinggelato

vCash: 500
Where the OK years more damaging or helpful?

On one side I look at the OK years and I think, maybe they did help keep a team in Tampa. With that said I think the NHL is keeping the team in Tampa more than anyone. Tampa is its best hope in the south.
Then on the flipside I see what they all did in the short time they were here. Looking back you have to all but question the firing of Torts to replace him with someone who obviously is allot worse in Melrose. Factor in all the injuries of that season and would any coach been able to to do better?

Old
03-06-2010, 10:24 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

A little of both. Since the lockout we didn't do too great with Davidson anyway. Our prospects were terrible, Richards was playing with Craig MacDonald and Mathieu Darche, Feaster basically had a lifetime contract. So OK did do a good thing by clearing out the front office, coaching staff and scouting staff.

In the long run I'm glad both ownerships are gone.

Old
03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
TBLHoser

It's always nice to keep the team where they were but that doesn't necessarily mean that OK saved the team. There was the other group that wanted to buy the team but Bettman shot them down after a special meeting with Koules. Bettman himself should be held accountable for what's transpired over the last 2 years so maybe he's making somewhat of an amends.

As for OK, they may have started a "mild" rebuild of the minor system, but overall they probably sent the team back ten years in development with ridiculous contracts, trashed the fan base and embarrassed the Tampa Bay area internationally (Not like the Bucs haven't accomplished that feat already).

Their strong-armed trade of Boyle started the ball rolling and it never stopped. So all-in-all, on a scale of one to ten, they were a zero. We laughed at Torts when he called them "cowboys", but in hindsight he was dead-on. Maybe if Barrie wasn't involved it might have been a different situation but you asked for an overall assessment.

Old
03-06-2010, 10:39 AM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Want Revenge View Post
A little of both. Since the lockout we didn't do too great with Davidson anyway. Our prospects were terrible, Richards was playing with Craig MacDonald and Mathieu Darche, Feaster basically had a lifetime contract. So OK did do a good thing by clearing out the front office, coaching staff and scouting staff.

In the long run I'm glad both ownerships are gone.
Yeah, cleaning house might have been the only thing they did right. Feaster and the scouting department were a draft nightmare...

Old
03-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Yeah, cleaning house might have been the only thing they did right. Feaster and the scouting department were a draft nightmare...
The one thing I will say is OK improved the scouting department by leaps and bounds. I dont want Vanik to even touch it unless its adding on.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:23 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I love how they improve scouting and drafting and they're a 0 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:26 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I love how they improve scouting and drafting and they're a 0 on a scale of 1 to 10.
That's all they get. But seriously. Andy Rogers? Mark Tobin? Trading a first for SOB? Henrich?

I could do a better job by reading THN's draft issue.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:27 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Want Revenge View Post
That's all they get. But seriously. Andy Rogers? Mark Tobin? Trading a first for SOB? Henrich?

I could do a better job by reading THN's draft issue.
MARK TOBIN WAS A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR YOU *******

ahem.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

They made stylish hair stylish again.

Atleast Lawton has.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:46 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
They made stylish hair stylish again.

Atleast Lawton has.

Look at their hair. They have perfected the douchey "My hair looks messed up but I still spent an hour working on it" look.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:59 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
It's not like Stamkos and Hedman were really difficult decisions. You prefer I give them a 10 for luck?

To begin with, I did not consider the Draft in my assessment because anyone knows you can't possibly grade any team's draft after 2 seasons. Because of that....okay I'll give them a 3.....

Last edited by TBLHoser: 03-06-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old
03-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Old
03-07-2010, 12:18 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
It's not like Stamkos and Hedman were really difficult decisions. You prefer I give them a 10 for luck?

To begin with, I did not consider the Draft in my assessment because anyone knows you can't possibly grade any team's draft after 2 seasons. Because of that....okay I'll give them a 3.....
www.bucem.com

Old
03-07-2010, 10:18 AM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Okay, so minus the Bucs reference....is there a point to this?

Old
03-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Hiishawk

I'm pretty sure that the 2008 (Stamkos, Wright, Tokarski) draft was controlled by Feaster's scouts because Hammett wasn't employed until later that summer and OK hadn't officially taken control of the team at that point. I was in Ottawa that June and Feaster was running the Tampa table (or trying to). From what I understand, OK only made the Carle pick.

Old
03-08-2010, 08:20 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiishawk View Post
I'm pretty sure that the 2008 (Stamkos, Wright, Tokarski) draft was controlled by Feaster's scouts because Hammett wasn't employed until later that summer and OK hadn't officially taken control of the team at that point. I was in Ottawa that June and Feaster was running the Tampa table (or trying to). From what I understand, OK only made the Carle pick.
Don't think thats right.

Old
03-08-2010, 11:11 AM
CSampson

I was at that draft and I don't recall seeing Feaster there. I was focused a lot on Stamkos anyways, in 10 years I'll be able to say I saw the superstar get drafted .

Old
03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Hiishawk

No, Feaster was definitely in charge in for the 2008 draft. If you look at the Stamkos stage pix you'll see Jake Goertzen (previous Chief Scout) plus Feaster, Charlie Hodge, Bumbacco- all the previous guys up there (apparently Hodge was big on Tokarski). As I said, Hammett wasn't hired until later that summer so he couldn't- and didn't- have a new scouting staff in place and Goertzen's staff wasn't fired until after the 2008 draft (I know a few of these guys and even chatted with them at the Ottawa draft about the OK-Barrie business).

Hammet's group is responsible for the '09 draft though.

Old
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

If true then the Tokarski pick is way off base for a Feaster draft. They loved huge goalies despite having a midget for a goalie coach at the time.

Old
03-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Hiishawk

Unusual for a Tampa pick yes, but teams do change strategies. One of Tampa's scouts at the draft was telling me how Charlie Hodge (fired along with the Goertzen team) was Tokarski's persistent cheerleader and the team almost felt obliged to draft Tokarski just to make Charlie shut up. Turned out Charlie was right though- as he may know a thing or two about smallish goalies.

Old
03-08-2010, 08:50 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I don't doubt Feaster being there, but he was not in charge. At all.

Old
03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
TBLHoser

If I remember correctly, he was pretty much a lame duck at that time...

Old
03-08-2010, 10:53 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
If I remember correctly, he was pretty much a lame duck at that time...
Right.

Old
03-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Hiishawk

Feaster may have been a sitting duck, but he wasn't a lame one, since he directed that draft. OK and Barrie weren't even officially owners at that time (the NHL only reluctantly agreed to give them floor credentials) and would have had little idea of the players available (although Barrie might act as if he did) and, most of all, there was no scouting team in place except the old guard.

Lawton certainly was not there then, there was not even public mention of him being GM at that time. Hammett wasn't there with Tampa. So whose scouts made the picks? Well, you can see Goertzen and other Feaster scouts in the Stamkos stage shots. Goertzen was fired in July 08, one month AFTER the draft, and Feaster left soon thereafter. Hammett was hired after Goertzen got canned. The record shows this.

The very knowledgeable Bolt Prospects site also reviewed the TB draft at that time knowing they were Feaster/Goertzen picks. The exception was the Carle pick because OK knew the family.

Last edited by Hiishawk: 03-09-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old
03-09-2010, 12:10 AM
sonny side up

they were OK years i guess...........

Closed Thread