HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Where the OK years more damaging or helpful?

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Hiishawk

vCash: 500
Just to continue a story for a bit...

I was an area scout for an NHL at that time and had a good friend who was a full-timer on the Goertzen Tampa scouting staff. I remember Barrie coming over to our table at one point telling our head scout how Tampa was going to draft a certain player (from a junior team Barrie was involved with) in the 4th round. Of course the last thing you do at the draft is tip your hat but here Barrie was, acting like he was calling the shots. Of course, they didn't choose the guy Barrie said they would.

I remember seeing OK and Barrie hanging out at the TB table but they were in and out, doing the social thing and trying very hard to make an 'appearance' like the cool dudes entering a frat party- certainly not monitoring the draft. Barrie was chatting with agents (especially Prospal's) too. I also remember Feaster looking flustered and frustrated at the table because he knew OK and Barrie were muscling in. One of our guys said "Is Barrie already trying to run their draft after minus one week on the job?" but it was an obvious joke because we knew Barrie was all bluster.

Anyway, after my scouting acquaintance got fired- a month after the draft- I got the story on Tokarski and I also acknowledged that Wright was one of the guys at the top of our list when Tampa took him- an astute pick I thought. Apparently Goertzen liked him a lot. I also heard lots of priceless OK and Barrie 'cowboys with expensive do's' stories. The only notable detail I'll mention here is that Feaster was apparently hinting strongly to the scouts at the team pre-draft meetings that they may not survive long after the 08 draft, since he could clearly see the writing on the wall. So the 08 draft was their last hurrah- and it may have been a redeeming one.

I wasn't in Montreal for 09 when Lawton/Hammett took the reins for the first time.

Last edited by Hiishawk: 03-10-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old
03-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiishawk View Post
Just to continue a story for a bit...

I was an area scout for an NHL at that time and had a good friend who was a full-timer on the Goertzen Tampa scouting staff. I remember Barrie coming over to our table at one point telling our head scout how Tampa was going to draft a certain player (from a junior team Barrie was involved with) in the 4th round. Of course the last thing you do at the draft is tip your hat but here Barrie was, acting like he was calling the shots. Of course, they didn't choose the guy Barrie said they would.

I remember seeing OK and Barrie hanging out at the TB table but they were in and out, doing the social thing and trying very hard to make an 'appearance' like the cool dudes entering a frat party- certainly not monitoring the draft. Barrie was chatting with agents (especially Prospal's) too. I also remember Feaster looking flustered and frustrated at the table because he knew OK and Barrie were muscling in. One of our guys said "Is Barrie already trying to run their draft after minus one week on the job?" but it was an obvious joke because we knew Barrie was all bluster.

Anyway, after my scouting acquaintance got fired- a month after the draft- I got the story on Tokarski and I also acknowledged that Wright was one of the guys at the top of our list when Tampa took him- an astute pick I thought. Apparently Goertzen liked him a lot. I also heard lots of priceless OK and Barrie 'cowboys with expensive do's' stories. The only notable detail I'll mention here is that Feaster was apparently hinting strongly to the scouts at the team pre-draft meetings that they may not survive long after the 08 draft, since he could clearly see the writing on the wall. So the 08 draft was their last hurrah- and it may have been a redeeming one.

I wasn't in Montreal for 09 when Lawton/Hammett took the reigns for the first time.

Old
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Just on a personal level I think they did more harm than good. I liked Koules* and would have liked for him to have some sort of part of the team, but it sure did seem like the whole area just let out a huge sigh of relief after OK was gone. Remains to be seen if Vinik actually walks the walk, but the good vibe is back, minus certain newspaper blog commenters who won't be happy unless the Bolts win every Stanley Cup with total sellout crowds every season.

*In the interest of full disclosure, when the "news" first broke about Koules wanting to trade Vinny and cut the payroll to the cap floor, I was one of those who stated that Barrie should be given control of the team

Old
03-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Tokala

Koules and Barrie, especially Barrie, were to the Lightning like hurricane Katrina was to New Orleans.

Based on what they paid and then sold the franchise for, they devalued the franchise by 50%!

Old
03-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
Koules and Barrie, especially Barrie, were to the Lightning like hurricane Katrina was to New Orleans.

Based on what they paid and then sold the franchise for, they devalued the franchise by 50%!
Go ahead and change your location anytime.

Old
03-09-2010, 06:42 PM
TBLHoser

Well...maybe now the can ride off into the sunset together. Maybe even co-write a movie together about their experiences......."Broke Bear Mountain"......hmmmmm sounds about right....

Old
03-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Well...maybe now the can ride off into the sunset together. Maybe even co-write a movie together about their experiences......."Broke Bear Mountain"......hmmmmm sounds about right....
My old name!

Old
03-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Want Revenge View Post
Go ahead and change your location anytime.
I haven't thought of anything good yet.

Old
03-09-2010, 08:16 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
My old name!
You need a new name since Bob Gainey is no longer in charge.

Old
03-09-2010, 10:03 PM
TBLHoser

Well maybe I have to give some credit to Lawton in one respect. Although he talked like he was going to be a buyer, I'm going to assume after seeing the last few games before the Olympics he saw the writing on the wall and said this is not the year and decided not to change anything drastically yet. Anyway, I'd like to think of it that way...

Old
03-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Well maybe I have to give some credit to Lawton in one respect. Although he talked like he was going to be a buyer, I'm going to assume after seeing the last few games before the Olympics he saw the writing on the wall and said this is not the year and decided not to change anything drastically yet. Anyway, I'd like to think of it that way...
He didn't dump the future for mediocre "now", so thats saying something. (Jay Feaster)

Closed Thread