QMJHL 2011 Contenders for the Presidents Cup

Old
06-03-2010, 10:39 PM
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Maybe a dumb question but what about Halifax? Will they be any good after getting top picks? Then again, rookies don't normally dominate the Q but I'm not sure if this draft is good or whatnot. I haven't watched the Moose lately and really only follow them from time to time (I watch PBL, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, NBA, NFL, CHL, hard to follow every team). or are they more like 2 years away from competing?
I think they'll be one of the top teams in two years time, which happens to be the year when the Memorial Cup comes back to the league. It looks like a lot of teams will be at their peak in the 2011-12 season, so it might be tough for them to stand out. But I think next season is too early for Halifax to be a strong team in the league. Your not going to see a turn around like Drummondville had in 2008-09 after being in the basement of the league.

BobbyRyan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:09 AM
King Mapes
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRyan9 View Post
I think they'll be one of the top teams in two years time, which happens to be the year when the Memorial Cup comes back to the league. It looks like a lot of teams will be at their peak in the 2011-12 season, so it might be tough for them to stand out. But I think next season is too early for Halifax to be a strong team in the league. Your not going to see a turn around like Drummondville had in 2008-09 after being in the basement of the league.
That's what I figured. I know Halifax applied to host the Memorial Cup that year

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Lucky Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
If everything goes as planned, the Gatineau Olympiques should be a strong contender for the 2011 President's Cup.
Today, the Olympiques acquired defenceman Nicolas Deslauriers from the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies and forward Samuel Morneau from the Val d'Or Foreurs, as well as traded defenceman Vincent Barnard to the Quebec Remparts for a 1st round draft pick in 2011. Things are shaping up nicely in Gatineau.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 05:09 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
The 2011 1st round pick in the Barnard trade will be changed for a 2nd pick in 2011. Quebec's 2nd pick in 2011 isn't available yet.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 03:48 PM
BLBarmada

Are the Juniors now the team to beat in the Q now that they have acquired Charles Landry,Philip Lefevre,Denis Kindl,Francis Meilleur and Charles Olivier Roussel ?

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Darjeeling

... and Louis Leblanc.

Darjeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:15 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
... and Louis Leblanc.
A first round pick and Guillame Asselin is a lot to pay for a guy who wont leave Havard unless its on an entry level deal.

Last edited by BLBarmada: 06-05-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old
06-05-2010, 07:02 PM
xMenace

In the Atlantic, PEI and Bathurst will be the top 2 this year. Yes SJ has probably better talent, but they are young with only 3 returning 19's and the 20 crop is very thin outside Kirkpatrick. They won't make any Christmas moves for a run gain this year either. SJ will dominate the next year.

Outside Atlantic I see Montreal, Quebec, Rimouski, and Gatineau in no particular order as contenders.

xMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:08 PM
xMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Maybe a dumb question but what about Halifax? Will they be any good after getting top picks? Then again, rookies don't normally dominate the Q but I'm not sure if this draft is good or whatnot. I haven't watched the Moose lately and really only follow them from time to time (I watch PBL, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, NBA, NFL, CHL, hard to follow every team). or are they more like 2 years away from competing?
Not going to contend this year. Their talent bubble is at the 18yr old level which is too young to go for it. They will run for it in 2011-2012.

xMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:07 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMenace View Post
In the Atlantic, PEI and Bathurst will be the top 2 this year. Yes SJ has probably better talent, but they are young with only 3 returning 19's and the 20 crop is very thin outside Kirkpatrick. They won't make any Christmas moves for a run gain this year either. SJ will dominate the next year.

Outside Atlantic I see Montreal, Quebec, Rimouski, and Gatineau in no particular order as contenders.

Quebec will be in the middle of the pack.

They'll have a very competitive division, which they didn't have in the past two seasons.

Old
06-05-2010, 11:42 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

I like the new 'Chicago' jersey.

Old
06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
connellkid

Montreal seems like they are the team to beat this year with all the additions that they made at the draft. They will be even that much better if they can get Louis LeBlanc to leave Harvard and head north back to Montreal and help the juniors compete for a President cup Title. Montreal has to be the Favorites to win the League title this year!

Saint John is going to be very good this year. They are a little weak at goaltending but rumour is that they have an American goalie ready to come to camp and battle for a spot, and they are also looking at trading for a proven goalie. Forwards they have the depth but I expect Gauthier and Anthony to be dealt so that Devon Oliver Dares and another young forward can come into the mix right away. On defence we have a plethora or talent but with Morin being a 20 year old, can we expect him back in the mix this year and then traded at christmas time? or does he stick out the whole year and bring the elements that he brought to the team last year when he was traded from Val d'or to Saint John. Look for the dogs to finish in the top 5 teams in the Q this year but they will dominate next year as they look run for a President Cup title and also a Memorial Cup title. Saint John has to be the favorites to win the league next year.

Gatineau Olympiques check in next. with Groulx back behind the bench I expect good things to come out of Gatineau this season with them finishing behind the Dogs in the overall standings.

Quebec Remparts are going to be strong despite what people will say.

PEI and Bathurst are not far behind Saint John in what they did at the draft. If Bathurst can get Brennan to report they have a solid tandem for this year with Olivier Roy as the starter. PEI is going to good with Nestarsil and local boy McIssac coming into the mix. Mosher is going to be a solid 20 year old goalie and should take them past the first round of the playoffs this year.

connellkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:01 AM
connellkid

Top 5 teams:

Montreal: should be the favorite to win the league this year. With all the additions that they made at the draft and getting Louis Leblanc from the Sags he should be able to make an instant impact with the Juniors.

Gatineau: With Beniot Groulx back behind the bench the Olympiques should be decent this year and have made some moves already in order to get back to the days when they won the league and made it to the Memorial Cup.

Saint John: is going to be very good this year but will have to deal with some goaltending issues if they want to make it past the 2nd round of playoffs this year. I do not think that St Laurent is capable of being the number 1 guy in Saint John, so this leaves kelly and co. going out to look for a proven tendy for this season which leads to the rumours of them trying to go out and get Corbeil from Halifax or Nadeau from Bathurst. There is a strong possibility that Chris Eiserman might be the man for the backup job with the Dogs this season and then take over and be the starter in 2011-2012 when the sea dogs will be favorites to win the league title and go to the mem cup, which they should be the favorites in hosting. Eiserman will only happen if he weighs his options and decides that the Q is better for his development then going the NCAA route. If Eiserman does infact come up to the dogs this season I would expect Auger to come in and be his back up next season.

I would like to see the dogs make a couple moves and trade Gauthier so that Oliver-Dares can come in and make a name for himself this season. Another player that I can see on his way out is Anthony . . Anthony in my opinion needs a change of scenery but with the price the dogs paid to get him here I think he will stick here until christmas and then will be on the shopping block.

At defence we have a plethora of talent with Despres and Durepos being the top pairing with Beaulieu and Gagne not far behind. This leads me to Christian Morin, he is a 20 year old this season, and should stick with the sea dogs now that Sauve has signed a contract with the 'nucks however; would christian accept a trade to go to halifax and provide the elements that he provided with Saint John when he was traded here at christmas time? I think he would, but he has made it clear that he wants to play in Saint John, and I cant blame him for wanting to finish his junior career here, he can provide the young guys coming into the lineup this year with some guidance and he is exactly what we need back there, he is a shot blocking machine and will hit anything that is in his way. Even though he isnt a goal scorer, he is smart in his own end and takes care of business in his own end before committing to the offensive zone. So i think the dogs will hang onto him until at least christmas time.

Another player that should be interesting is going to be Mike Paliotta from the USA National Development Team and from what i have heard he is very very good and could have been a top 12 pick in this years Q draft in Drummondville. Kelly and Co. are going to have a difficult task to get him to come here but I'm sure that they can convince him that the Q route is a better route then going NCAA if he hopes to go to the NHL.

PEI - with the moves that they have made; they are going to be a top 3 team in the Atlantic Division this season. Mosher is going to have to be rock solid if the rocket want to contend for the league title.

Bathurst - is another team that can finish in the top 3 in the Atlantic division. They have set themselves up very nicely and they to will be very good this season. With the goaltender they have, Olivier Roy as the starter and Steeves or Brennan as the backup they have set themselves up for the next few season as Steeves and or Brennan can come in and be the starter and fill the void when Roy leaves to go play pro next season. This is of course if they can get Brennan to report and convince him that the Q is better then the NCAA.

This leads me to the next topic. Bathurst at christmas time is going to have to go out and get a veteran DMan to help out for the stretch run and playoff run . . rumour was that Despres was heading up the highway to Bathurst but Kelly shot that rumour down in a hurry.

Honourable Mention: Quebec Remparts - Patty Roy every year never gives up hope and should have his team competing for a league title this season.

connellkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 09:30 PM
peicurler91

I think PEI has an amazing shot this year.

Like mentioned above there are the moves they made, and now they traded Casavant and got Paradis in return. So the Rocket look like a really strong team this year

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:37 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Casavant > Paradis ...

Old
06-11-2010, 11:13 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Casavant > Paradis ...
this

And Louis Leblanc will most likely report to Montreal and does anyone know how good Denis Kindl is and if Avtsin has confirmed his intentions to not report ?

Old
06-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Darjeeling

Paradis > Casavant.

Old
06-12-2010, 11:09 AM
montrealhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post

And Louis Leblanc will most likely report to Montreal and does anyone know how good Denis Kindl is and if Avtsin has confirmed his intentions to not report ?
As for Leblanc, while I can't say for sure, my GUESS (and hope) is that he'll play for the Juniors. His new "family advisor" is reported to be Pat Brisson (Crosby's agent) who is believed to be a supporter of Junior Hockey. At the end of the day I think Leblanc will listen to what the Habs recommend and follow that route.....no idea what they would prefer? The AHL may even be an option.

Denis Kindl - Played on the top two lines for Gatineau during the playoffs last season and enjoyed some time on the PP. For a 17 year old player I was impressed to see him earn 8 points in 10 playoff games. Depending on what role centerman Louis-Marc Aubry is given, Kindl should center either the 2nd or 3rd line. Kindl has a chippy side to his game which should be entertaining to watch. He's an 18 year old junior aged player for 2010-2011.

Alexander Avtsin - Like I said last week, I don't believe he'll come over to play in Montreal. He played in the KHL (Moscow Dynamo - a franchise that folded a couple of months ago) last season and was the youngest player on his team which included the likes of Jiri Hudler. My guess is that he remains in RUS.

montrealhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:58 PM
cantwell7

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
Paradis > Casavant.
Depends on which way you look at it. Casavant is a better point producer than Paradis but there is a reason why Casavant was selected in the 7th rd and Paradis the 1st. Paradis can skate better than Casavant is better in and is better in his own end. He can also take faceoffs which makes him very valuable in the playoffs where as a slow Casavant may fade when the pace picks up.

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealhp View Post
As for Leblanc, while I can't say for sure, my GUESS (and hope) is that he'll play for the Juniors. His new "family advisor" is reported to be Pat Brisson (Crosby's agent) who is believed to be a supporter of Junior Hockey. At the end of the day I think Leblanc will listen to what the Habs recommend and follow that route.....no idea what they would prefer? The AHL may even be an option.

Denis Kindl - Played on the top two lines for Gatineau during the playoffs last season and enjoyed some time on the PP. For a 17 year old player I was impressed to see him earn 8 points in 10 playoff games. Depending on what role centerman Louis-Marc Aubry is given, Kindl should center either the 2nd or 3rd line. Kindl has a chippy side to his game which should be entertaining to watch. He's an 18 year old junior aged player for 2010-2011.

Alexander Avtsin - Like I said last week, I don't believe he'll come over to play in Montreal. He played in the KHL (Moscow Dynamo - a franchise that folded a couple of months ago) last season and was the youngest player on his team which included the likes of Jiri Hudler. My guess is that he remains in RUS.
A close family friend of Leblanc's told me that all he wants to do is play hockey and he does'nt care much for the Havard degree he also said that Leblanc will most likeley end up going the junior way.

Old
06-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Darjeeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwell7 View Post
Depends on which way you look at it. Casavant is a better point producer than Paradis but there is a reason why Casavant was selected in the 7th rd and Paradis the 1st. Paradis can skate better than Casavant is better in and is better in his own end. He can also take faceoffs which makes him very valuable in the playoffs where as a slow Casavant may fade when the pace picks up.
Absolutely.

Old
06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Darjeeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealhp View Post

Kindl is soft as butter.

Old
06-13-2010, 10:06 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwell7 View Post
Casavant is a better junior player than Paradis. Paradis is a better NHL prospect than Casavant. Shawinigan got the upper hand in this trade. Casavant will probably come back as an overager, unlike Paradis, and Ben will still have a better 19 yo year. However, there's clearly something wrong with Casavant as he was released by Washington 11 months after being drafted...

Old
06-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
I like the new 'Chicago' jersey.

that's awesome. I like that jersey too.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:31 AM
Darjeeling

Quote:
Casavant is a better junior player than Paradis. Paradis is a better NHL prospect than Casavant. Shawinigan got the upper hand in this trade. Casavant will probably come back as an overager, unlike Paradis, and Ben will still have a better 19 yo year. However, there's clearly something wrong with Casavant as he was released by Washington 11 months after being drafted...
Benjamin Casavant, JoŽl Champagne and Chris Doyle were in PEI in the beginning of the last season. All of them were released by their pro teams.