HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Win 4-2

Old
03-07-2010, 01:59 AM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
3-06-10 Post Game - KINGS

Kings Vision brings you player interviews. Kopitar, Smyth, and Coach Murray of the Kings spoke with the media following the game on 03/06/10.

Click HERE to watch!

3-06-10 Post Game - HABS

Kings Vision brings you player interviews. Gionta, Halak, and Coach Martin of the Canadiens spoke with the media following the game on 03/06/10.

Click HERE to watch!

KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:18 AM
Hades

Big win tonight and people turn this into a goaltending argument? Halak was good tonight, the goals he let in were not soft at all (even if some Price fanatics say that). I like both of our young goalies, but even though Price should have gotten the start tonight, Halak won. That's all that counts. Start the guy who's winning. It's not about the goalies right now, it's about the team getting the 2 points. Both of our goaltenders are playing good right now and it's not what we should be arguing over.

Anyways, lots of people mentioning a Gomez interview. What was that about? I can't seem to find it. Is it somewhere on the internet?

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
You're starting to sound alot like those idiots on RDS/CKAC that measure a goalie's performance on W/L not the way the play.

Goalie A gets 40 shots and loses 1-0
Goalie B gets 20 low-danger shots and wins 5-0

GoalieB>>>Goalie A In your opinion?

Goalies can't score goals. Thier job is to stop the puck and that's exactlly what Price did yesterday but unfortunatlly his team didn't do their part.
Fair enough, but Halak has better stats this season. So this type of analogy is pretty out there, in my opinion.

Price is sitting at a 2.76 GAA, .912 SV%, and a 13-19-4 record (0.361 WIN%).

Halak is sitting at a 2.55 GAA, .923 SV%, and a 18-10-2 record (0.600 WIN%).

Price HAS NOT played bad this season. In fact, on many nights, he's been the best player on the team. But the biggest problem is that his GAA is way above our teams GF/G (2.56). Again, that can't be completely blamed on him, but it's the way things go sometimes.

Halak is getting the wins. Halaks is playing just as good this season (arguably a bit better). That's why he's finally getting a fair shake at playing time - and hell, he deserves it.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Again, I was referencing November. But since you can't seem to get that and continue to try and pick at things that I didn't say, I'm done arguing with you. Like I said, there is a reason Halak only got one game in November and that's because Price out played him in that month.
Quoted for hilarity. And the Halak camp gets ridiculed for inappropriately blaming goalies in losses... That November game was a 1-0 loss where Halak stopped 30 of 31. Price's first game of November? 5 goals on 30 shots in a 5-4 loss to Atlanta.

Halak splits
Price splits

Even funnier that even the overboard Price camp will admit that Halak outplayed Price in December (I usually see it posted as "since December", for what that's worth), and that's Price's best month statistically.

edit, in any event, the pattern is obviously as I described it earlier, and not what you claim, and is evidenced by the pattern in number of starts per month as the season has progressed:

October (the "We want Price to be number one, but Halak needs work too" month)
Price 8, Halak 8

November (the "They're playing about the same, so let's ride Price as planned, and hope it all works out" month)
Price 11, Halak 1

December (the "Will you check out this Halak guy?!" month)
Price 8, Halak 9

January (the "Why weren't we riding this guy from the start?" month)
Price 6, Halak 7

February (the Olympic and trade deadline buildup month)
Price 3, Halak 5

March doesn't really count at this point, but we'll see how the trend shakes out. It's to Carey's credit that his level of play has earned him almost as many starts over December, January, and February as a goalie playing as well as Halak. If it wasn't for his draft position and pressure to push him to the top of the goaltending depth chart, I think just about any other bubble playoff team would have ridden Halak much more. If the Habs were cruising at the top of the division, then I would expect Price to play almost every day, despite what the statistics suggest would be "wisest".

If there's anything else, I suggest we bump the H vs P thread and take it there.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 03-07-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
Anyways, lots of people mentioning a Gomez interview. What was that about? I can't seem to find it. Is it somewhere on the internet?
I thought the funnier part of the whole situation was that they were hoping to interview him in the second intermission, but got Moore instead. Just before Moore stepped out, Price was playing around with his stick and something (ball of tape?) in the corridor. Ah, the memories of shooting balls of tape around in rinks. Good times.

It wasn't a super interesting interview. Just talking about what he did away from hockey during the Olympics, and the "joke" about getting away from the game and reporters was explained a little earlier. I'll see if it's up anywhere now, and try to post a link.

edit: nothing around yet.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 07:29 AM
HomaridII

Gomez, Gionta and Pouliot were sensational last night. Gomez specially on his own end was out of this world.

Dominic F#$#$# Moore, I'll shut up now. Even if he did not score I would have said he had a tremendous game. The guy can play and he looks good out there with S.K.

Spacek still sucks, lol.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Gomez, Gionta and Pouliot were sensational last night. Gomez specially on his own end was out of this world.

Dominic F#$#$# Moore, I'll shut up now. Even if he did not score I would have said he had a tremendous game. The guy can play and he looks good out there with S.K.

Spacek still sucks, lol.
But we lost a 2nd round pick in 2011 for him!!

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:06 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
While I didn't watch the whole game, what I saw was pretty good and Halak made a few pretty sweet saves. I wish this aggressive team would show up more often.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Markov4Captain

Am I the only one who thinks Price will get the start today?

Even though Halak won last night, this is a back to back situation. And if i remember correctly both our goalies never perform well if they are put back to back. For example, the time Halak played against the Rangers where he got the shutout only to lose to Boston the next day. I think JM wants to rotate the goalies as much as possible until the end of the season, and he has no reason to bench Price. Carey had an UNBELIEVABLE game against the Sharks, and he deserves the start tonight.

JM has to stop the win and your in strategy. It might end up killing both goaltenders.

Markov4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:32 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov4Captain View Post
if i remember correctly both our goalies never perform well if they are put back to back. For example, the time Halak played against the Rangers where he got the shutout only to lose to Boston the next day.
Please provide the dates when this happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov4Captain View Post
JM has to stop the win and your in strategy. It might end up killing both goaltenders.
Such drama! Killing goaltenders, ZOMG!!

Haven't I told you a million times not to exaggerate?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
But we lost a 2nd round pick in 2011 for him!!
As one of the trade haters, I'm very impressed. He's playing a bit like he did with the Leafs. Hopefully they do the obvious and re-sign the guy for a couple of years. Moen-Moore-SK74 has some potential for a shutdown line. Unfortunately, this eerily resembles Johnson-Bonk-Perezhogin line from 07. I hope the right wingers don't follow a similar path at the end of the season.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:04 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRacicot View Post
Halak in his last 5 games:

3-2

Price in his last 5 games:

2-3
Halak in his last 5 games

3 wins 2 losses

Price in his last 5 games

2 wins 3 losses.

If you want to win, you play Halak. Listen to the interview, the team states how confident they are when Halak is in the net.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip273442#clip273442

The players are saying it everytime Halak plays, they score more goals.

However as big a Halak fan I am, I'd rather let Price get most of the starts down the stretch because I don't think we are going to make the playoffs and I'd rather us lose some ground at this point and get a better 1st round pick. We have 3 games in hand on the team in 9th place who has the same amount of points as us, and we are missing our best goal scorer.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:07 AM
macavoy

On a side note, I just watched this interview with Carey Price before the game and I really like his attitude, he really has a team attitude and makes sure he always promotes Halak as an equal.

http://kings.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=729&id=61965

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:07 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
If you want to win, you play Halak.
The players are saying it everytime Halak plays, they score more goals.

However as big a Halak fan I am, I'd rather let Price get most of the starts down the stretch because I don't think we are going to make the playoffs and I'd rather us lose some ground at this point and get a better 1st round pick. We have 3 games in hand on the team in 9th place who has the same amount of points as us, and we are missing our best goal scorer.
Wonderful......NOT!:

The tankers have now infected the Halak/Price debate in addition to the Gomez/cap debate.

People who want to "lose some ground" so that they can pick one or two slots earlier = LOSERS

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:30 AM
JrHockeyFan

We win an important road game and we get this juvenile debating over who played in net

For both of these groups: It doesn't seem to matter which goalie is in net or what the results are. No matter what happens, the same crap comes out. NEITHER group is proving any points except that they are both incapable of being objective about this topic.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:31 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I love how every post turns into a Halak/Price debate.

Let's rejoice guys, there is no way we lose either 1 for nothing unless Halak goes to the KHL which believe me he won't, he can and a will find a job as a starter in the NHL whether it's Montreal or else where.

We will get assets regardless what happens, and both goalies look promising for the future.

Give it up already and enjoy the fact that our team played a *very* solid game top to bottom and beat out one of the top up and coming teams in the Western Conference.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:37 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
You know, the entire goalie fanboy thing is annoying on its own. But I'm sorry..Halak fanboys are the most annoying kind.
Couldn't agree more !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
We win an important road game and we get this juvenile debating over who played in net

For both of these groups: It doesn't seem to matter which goalie is in net or what the results are. No matter what happens, the same crap comes out. NEITHER group is proving any points except that they are both incapable of being objective about this topic.
it could be managed but it creates work for the mods. Todays nonsense brought to the PGT in post 11, where merely minutes after a victory Scottyg complained that Price should have started this game.

On the San Jose PGT, there were 3 taunts started by Stradale daring anyone to talk about Halak, then 2 posts that started "Price had better start the next game" which ultimately lead to the actual mentioning of Halak's name at post 109. Of course that was the launch code to send Scottyg into orbit again.

Certain people love the debate win or lose, whether Halak starts or Price starts. Shutting the nonsense down is easy if we want it bad enough. Ignore and/or mod intervention.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:58 AM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRacicot View Post
Don't worry, ScottyG...it'll make it all the sweeter when Halak is dealt this summer. The uproar around here is going to be cataclysmal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It all depend what we get for Halak AND how Price will perform next year....
IMHO, The Halak trade will happen....

Facts: Halak has more victories than Price;
Price has moore long term potential (The organization still think so);
Halak requested (more than once) to play or be traded AND he won't put up
with this situation anymore;

Right now, only the pro-Halak and pro-Price extremists are bickering about a win ( team) than the individuals...Beleive me, right now, both goalies want to win and are putting the team first!!!!
Why? Because they both know Halak won't be back (unless Price is gone)!

UNLESS, the organization trades Price because they feel they have an irrisistable offer....

The same hatred comments will apply for Halak, next year under the same conditions...Sad but true!

Last edited by LowBallFern: 03-07-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo error
LowBallFern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:12 AM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Haha, yeah. 7 goals vs Vancouver, followed by 3 goals on 19 shots against Edmonton, followed by 3 goals on 23 shots against Colorado, followed by 3 goals on 21 shots against Ottawa, followed by 2 goals on 14 shots in relief of Pittsburgh must have made quite an impression... Price got his chance back after Halak was pulled that night, and luckily for him he made the best of it and earned the chance to show he could be leaned on (for the most part) in November.

Take it easy with the credibility card dude, you're not qualified to play it. Martin would have preferred to go with Price every day right out of the blocks (and is, in fact, how they started the season), but Halak getting Ws (and therefore points) introduced the element of doubt as to who the best guy between the two is right now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can see clearly now the rain is gone......Thank you for such lucidity!

Halak will be gone this summer...and the orgabization, if they are smart, will maximize
his value by putting him as much as possible in a winning situation....That should be easy, he wins most of the time!

w

Old
03-07-2010, 10:17 AM
katatoniak

17 pts in 23 games for POuliot with the habs. He really know how to use his long reach to get puck. How much do you thing he can get on his next contract ?

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Are kings fans going to hate on us for another year since Pouliot muscled Doughty off the puck ? Granted, Pools didn't throw him down like Higgins did, but still.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:27 AM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
...but who gets the start in nets for the opener if the Habs clinch a playoff spot ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Halak for sure!!!
He is more mature, under pressure than Price right now...

Teams know they can still easily play with Price's head.
I mean, Price has still( again in his last game where he was a stellar) showed clear signs of dispair towards his teamates after a goal.... He needs to correct this pronto during the off season and next year; I am talking about a mental and attitude problem that requires outside help ( coach or people with the right psychological qualifications).

Old
03-07-2010, 10:30 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBallFern View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Halak for sure!!!
He is more mature, under pressure than Price right now...

Teams know they can still easily play with Price's head.
I mean, Price has still( again in his last game where he was a stellar) showed clear signs of dispair towards his teamates after a goal.... He needs to correct this pronto during the off season and next year; I am talking about a mental and attitude problem that requires outside help ( coach or people with the right psychological qualifications).

i saw on the 2nd goal Halak was giving Gill the look. lets hire a psychologist for him

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post

Certain people love the debate win or lose, whether Halak starts or Price starts. Shutting the nonsense down is easy if we want it bad enough. Ignore and/or mod intervention.
You are so good at doing it I guess everyone else should start.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote