HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roenick

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 04:24 PM
amonte11

vCash: 500
Roenick

Could Roenick be almost done? He announced during his injury that retirement wasn't out of the question. Hopfully he won't retire. He is a big part of this team. But, say if he does decide to in the near future(as in this offseason or next) who do they sign to replace him? I think they need to do it this offseason to work the player in, whoever it may be.

Old
04-28-2004, 04:33 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
JR is one hell of a warrior.

IMO he will retire if the Flyers win the cup this year...

Old
04-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
the flyers could replace roenick with carter or richards (most likely carter) but it would not be the same

Old
04-28-2004, 06:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
He's not retiring

Old
04-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
He's not retiring
What he said.

JR still wants to play. If he won a Cup he would want to try again, unless he was a few years older.

Old
04-28-2004, 10:01 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
There isn't much of a chance Roenick will retire IMO. But to answer your other question about replacing him we could just resign Zhamnov or take a chance on Jason Allison but he is just another Lindros

Old
04-28-2004, 10:33 PM
ATG

One more concussion and he may be done his wife didn't want him to come back from that broken jaw so imagine he gets another concussion he's done.Come on guys a championship isn't worth risking a dehabilitating injury and being basically a vegtable.Ya I know that could happen to anyone but Roenick's more at risk than most other players because of his concussions.

Three guys that should hang them up:Lindros,Deadmarsh,Roenick

Old
04-28-2004, 10:42 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
AtG, everyone has already grown to become so cynical of your actual motive for posting in threads like this, so you mind as well not even bother....especially when your post is simply recommending Roenick to retire before the postseason is even over.

Old
04-28-2004, 10:59 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
AtG, everyone has already grown to become so cynical of your actual motive for posting in threads like this, so you mind as well not even bother....especially when your post is simply recommending Roenick to retire before the postseason is even over.
No,You misunderstood I was just replying to the first post made.Roenick plays hard and is a good player im just sayin that if he gets another concussion whether it be in this series or next season even he has got to do some soul searching and really think about his future he can't play hockey forever is it worth getting dehabilitized by getting over 10 concussions.Muhammad Ali is a good example of this even though he is a boxer,to many shots to the head.I hope Roenick stays healthy as I like to watch him play(except against the Leafs) and his comments are great

Old
04-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Rex88

I think concussions are horribly misunderstood.
It has alot to do with semantics but really the higher grade concussions are of concern, the low grade ones happen all the time in every sport and kids in playgrounds, etc.
With that said, yes guys who have repeated severe concussions are taking a risk but the level is not well known.
Are there any NHL former players with syptoms like Ali? I cannot think of any but am not sure. It is similar to Parkinsons in the late stages and no NHL guys fit that type of syndrome that I have heard of - but the game has really changed over the past 20 years.

Old
04-28-2004, 11:37 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
I think concussions are horribly misunderstood.
It has alot to do with semantics but really the higher grade concussions are of concern, the low grade ones happen all the time in every sport and kids in playgrounds, etc.
With that said, yes guys who have repeated severe concussions are taking a risk but the level is not well known.
Are there any NHL former players with syptoms like Ali? I cannot think of any but am not sure. It is similar to Parkinsons in the late stages and no NHL guys fit that type of syndrome that I have heard of - but the game has really changed over the past 20 years.
Concussions are tricky I mean Breet Lindros got one and could never play hockey again.Im not sure how bad his was but Im guessin the doctors told him one more could seriously damage his brain so he took no chances and retired.It would be awful for that to happen to a guy like Roenick who plays hard every night

Old
04-29-2004, 06:01 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Concussions are tricky I mean Breet Lindros got one and could never play hockey again.Im not sure how bad his was but Im guessin the doctors told him one more could seriously damage his brain so he took no chances and retired.It would be awful for that to happen to a guy like Roenick who plays hard every night
Brett suffered more than just 1 serious concussion.......from The Lighthouse: Islander News.........

http://www.isles-list.com/index.cfm?...s&articleid=99

Lindros, a rugged 6-foot-3, 220-pound winger, suffered three serious concussions since he turned professional with the Islanders for the 1994-95 season. He suffered two of the concussions this season. The first was on Nov. 16 at Los Angeles, after which he sat out two games, and the next on Nov. 24 at Buffalo, which sidelined him for the rest of the season.

Lindros was examined by four doctors, who all told him that he was becoming progressively susceptible to concussions and that the effect of such injuries is cumulative. Faced with this medical evidence, Lindros said he had little choice but to retire.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Brett had more concussions that was ever diagnosed. Research and treatment on head injuries really was in it's infancy when Brett began to have problems. The wisdom of the past dictated that players could play through concussions, so when somebody just got their "bell rung" the medical staff would just throw them back out there.

Medical researchers are discovering that the brain tissue is actually incredibly resiliant, but people who sustain brain injuries need time to heal. Much of Brett's troubles had to do with the fact that he was put right back on the ice the next night, and what would happen is that the bruise on his brain wouldn't heal, and it would just get hit again, and again, and again, causing compounding tramua.

Imagine if you had a bruise on your leg from a puck, and every game you got another puck in that same exact area. The bruise would never heal, and some of the tissue would begin to die. Brain injuries work in a very similar way.

Old
04-29-2004, 02:24 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
i wonder if it has something to do with head-shape? i mean those Lindros boys have angular noggins and maybe that causes increased brain-bang...

sorry, just been wondering about that lately.

Old
04-29-2004, 02:37 PM
anonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGraveOne
i wonder if it has something to do with head-shape? i mean those Lindros boys have angular noggins and maybe that causes increased brain-bang...

sorry, just been wondering about that lately.
What is Pat Lafontaine's head-shape? He had serious problems as well.

Old
04-29-2004, 04:56 PM
amonte11

I love Roenick, he's a great player. What I'm saying is that the Flyers are going to have to look into finding a replacement, maybe not this offseason but probably next. One more good concusion and he might be through. Now about long term effects, I believe their was an Islander named Lapointe or La....something, can't remember at the moment, but he suffered a serious concusion that left him with symptoms for 10 years. So it is possible to get one that bad.

Old
04-30-2004, 01:02 PM
RADU

in comparison to the other centers his age he's gotta be one of the most active
but i honestly wouldnt mind seeing him go.. philly has so much to work with.. truly a stanely cup team. competition is fierce but with or without J-Ro they can take it.

Closed Thread