HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal vs Anaheim 8:00 PM EST (RDS HD)

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post
First of all, why are you bashing me?

He played with the best players available at the time.

Koivu has a few games left, the ducks will not re-sign him, he has a one year contract.

He is not, I repeat NOT coming back to Montreal, there is no room for him.

Not to be harsh, but, careers end, players get older and more prone to injury. He is a smallish player who played hard. Players of his stature get worn down and average age is about 35, 36 years of age. If he did happen to stay another year it will be embarrassing. To him and his followers.
If we had bigger centers, I'd be willing to bring back Koivu as a 3rd line center to be used in a specialized role. His leadership is unquestionable and he can still be productive in limited action. But like I said, if our top 2 centers are Gomez and Pleks then we can't afford a small 3rd line center, and I don't think Koivu would make a good winger.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Sorry habs, but I'm watching the Oscars tonight. Should have been an afternoon game.
lol, the Oscars. Way to go

Old
03-07-2010, 03:40 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
i bet u if price wins,he goes with halak in mtl..lol
Right now, it looks to me like JM has formulated a plan. Halak will play during back to backs or if Price falters. In fact this plan began after the Boston loss.

I don't much care who plays....as long as the team wins. Right now, I don't see much difference between the two boys' play, to be honest. I saw enough of Jaro during the Olympics to see that he is a good goalie, but not yet a Hall of Famer, LOL.

Carey is just as capable of having great games. If JM wants to ride him if he stays hot, fine. But if Carey doesn't, the coach better get him out of there.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Sorry habs, but I'm watching the Oscars tonight. Should have been an afternoon game.
Probably something that you shouldn't be admitting.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:44 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
yes you did tell me Ryder scored 30 goals, thats why i said OVER!, I should've put it in bold for u
and the 3 best wingers you named for that few year stretch were Gimour, Zednik and perrault
in Gilmours 2 seasons with the Habs he had 10 and 11 goals respectively
Zednik, i liked him a lot but he was hardly a 2nd line winger, let a lone 1st line
and Perreault played center....so i dont no why you included his name
Because a team is made up of more then 1 center and 2 wingers. I don't care about Koivu as much as I can about the habs. Zednik scored 31 in a season, happy now?

You're expectations are preposterous, while Koivu played for the Habs, we saw 8 cup winners in those 13 great years of having Koivu play in Montreal. That means 24 teams, including the Canadiens didn't win. This includes a team like the Bruins, Flyers, Leafs, Sharks, all who have had strong season but didn't win. But I guess none of these teams tried, it was a conspiracy to lose to never win a cup for Sundin, Lindros... They didn't have 30 goal wingers.... wait what? Oh I forgot, winning cups is about the team, not about a centers wingers. Ha forgot we were talking about hockey and not doubles tennis...

Old
03-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I don't much care who plays....as long as the team wins. Right now, I don't see much difference between the two boys' play, to be honest. I saw enough of Jaro during the Olympics to see that he is a good goalie, but not yet a Hall of Famer, LOL.
Yup, that was my feeling, too. I was like, omg, hasek after the Russia game, but then he gradually become more normal, and by the end I was like, yeah, he's good, but not quite there yet. Had he stoned the Finns in the third and won the bronze, i got a feeling this week would have played out differently.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:45 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

well done.
Habs from last year better respect their former captain

Old
03-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:

That should be... exciting... maybe you could rent Pretty Woman, or the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, you know, something equally as manly as choosing the Oscars over the Habs.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Yup, that was my feeling, too. I was like, omg, hasek after the Russia game, but then he gradually become more normal, and by the end I was like, yeah, he's good, but not quite there yet. Had he stoned the Finns in the third and won the bronze, i got a feeling this week would have played out differently.
He came out of retirement!?!?

Old
03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
There's no reason against putting Price in nets. It's a logical choice. For all I care, play Halak next game. But when you have two very capable goalies, there's nothing that can advocate putting one in twice in 24 hours.

Until some jackass comes in and says "Halak gives us a better chance to win"...
We are very fortunate to have two goalies that give us a chance to win. Moreover, they are both really young and are excelling in a difficult environment there in Montreal. As long as both goalies are a part of the Habs, I am cheering for them.

As much as I like Koivu, I hope the Habs finish their road-trip in style and win convincingly. I predict a 5-2 win tonight.

Last edited by bipolarhabfan: 03-07-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old
03-07-2010, 03:55 PM
BelHabs

Quote:
Also, Halak's weakness is undoubtedly against bigger teams that crash the net. We saw it against Philly, and I can't help but wonder if this reasoning crept in for tonight's game.
Good point. This could be part of Martin's reasoning. As much as I like Halak, he is a small goalie, and big bodies crashing the net probably affect him more than it would Price.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Grannys

You guys think they will retire Koivu's 11 after he hangs em up?

Old
03-07-2010, 04:01 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post

That should be... exciting... maybe you could rent Pretty Woman, or the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, you know, something equally as manly as choosing the Oscars over the Habs.
Why anyone would admit this is beyond me ? But i did like your joke though!

Old
03-07-2010, 04:01 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
You guys think they will retire Koivu's 11 after he hangs em up?
doubtful. Just look at the names up there, and see how long it took for some to get up there. If anything maybe so that he is the only memory of 20 years that should be forgotten.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
doubtful. Just look at the names up there, and see how long it took for some to get up there. If anything maybe so that he is the only memory of 20 years that should be forgotten.
I assume you meant to say should not?

Old
03-07-2010, 04:06 PM
MoonlightGraham

I wish Koivu all the best in Anaheim but don't care much about the Canadiens playing against him. It's a buisness, players change teams, life goes on. He was getting older and slower, and it we needed a big change, it was time for him to go. He won't be back, it wouldn't make sense for us to sign him, we already have Gomez and hopefully we'll lock up Plekanec long term. I don't really understand why some are so "hung up" on him.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:07 PM
MontrealHabitant

The stupidity in this thread is alarming, in no shape we're Ryder/Zednik/Higgins good wingers, they're 2nd liners on a bad team.

Kovalev had an "outcry" rally simply because the IQ level of Quebec's population when it comes to hockey is quite low, there's a lot of reasons for this and one of them is because so many of the fans never had to experience bad times due to the stacked teams of old times and that now things are a lot different, we're not alone drafting the top end talent, and there's 30 teams, not 6 anymore.

I know it and im sure some of you here know what I mean by low IQ, the same tools who got on Koivu's back are the same nuts on Carey Price's back.

Koivu should have been resigned, he's having a Gomez like production, the only difference is that he's 4 millions cheaper. Then again this is a whole different story (Gionta, Cammalleri).

He never was a bad captain either, funny how people quickly **** when you pull out the multiple international medals, ever heard of the Lehtinen-Koivu-Selanne trio ? By far the best line in the past 12 years and this isn't even an all star trio.

Think Carbonneau would have won a cup without Modano ? Roy ? Zubov ? Nieuwendyk ? Belfour ? Damphousse ? Desjardins ? Schneider ?

You actually need a team to a win a cup, believe it or not.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
The stupidity in this thread is alarming, in no shape we're Ryder/Zednik/Higgins good wingers, they're 2nd liners on a bad team.

Kovalev had an "outcry" rally simply because the IQ level of Quebec's population when it comes to hockey is quite low, there's a lot of reasons for this and one of them is because so many of the fans never had to experience bad times due to the stacked teams of old times and that now things are a lot different, we're not alone drafting the top end talent, and there's 30 teams, not 6 anymore.

I know it and im sure some of you here know what I mean by low IQ, the same tools who got on Koivu's back are the same nuts on Carey Price's back.

Koivu should have been resigned, he's having a Gomez like production, the only difference is that he's 4 millions cheaper. Then again this is a whole different story (Gionta, Cammalleri).

He never was a bad captain either, funny how people quickly **** when you pull out the multiple international medals, ever heard of the Lehtinen-Koivu-Selanne trio ? By far the best line in the past 12 years and this isn't even an all star trio.

Think Carbonneau would have won a cup without Modano ? Roy ? Zubov ? Nieuwendyk ? Belfour ? Damphousse ? Desjardins ? Schneider ?

The reason why Koivu wasn't re-signed was not because he was a bad player, but the organization needed a change, which in despite of the results of this year, I totally agree on.

Was Koivu a good captain? We don't know, were we present in the dressing room for all these years? No.

Did Koivu deserve the constant critisism of the media? No

Was Koivu a good player? Yes he was.

Was he mistreated by the organization? Hell no.

Did he play with top elite wingers most of the time? Perhaps not, but he always played with the best ones in our team for most of his career.

Am I hungry? Yes I am. I'm going to make myself a sandwich in the kitchen.

Is Megan Fox attractive despite the shape of her fingernails? Yes she is.

Is Gomez a better option than Koivu? Both of them are good players, both needed a change of scenery. Gomez is overpaid, but what are we going to do? Cry for the next 4 years of his contract on how we should've re-signed Koivu instead of trading for Gomez or get the **** over it already?

I choose the latter, who's with me?

Old
03-07-2010, 04:19 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Agreed. Martin is a moron.
Agreed. Martin is a moron

Old
03-07-2010, 04:22 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
I assume you meant to say should not?
I guess I didn't phrase it right. I wouldn't mind forgetting the last "20 years", but Koivu will be an ever lasting memory that I wouldn't want to forget.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:29 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post

Koivu is much older than Gomez, and on the decline, whereas Gomez has a lot of seasons ahead of him. And also we needed a change in the organization and leadership.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:34 PM
ILUVTHISGAME

GOHABSGO!

Old
03-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I predict a big win and O'byrne destroys Chipchura with a check.

BTW Scott Niedermayer is -19 WTF

Old
03-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
More proof that Martin is a big moron. Like I said yesterday Price should've started yesterday and Halak today. Now Martin completly ruined Price "momentum".
Price and Halak must laugh at these threads

Old
03-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Because a team is made up of more then 1 center and 2 wingers. I don't care about Koivu as much as I can about the habs. Zednik scored 31 in a season, happy now?

You're expectations are preposterous, while Koivu played for the Habs, we saw 8 cup winners in those 13 great years of having Koivu play in Montreal. That means 24 teams, including the Canadiens didn't win. This includes a team like the Bruins, Flyers, Leafs, Sharks, all who have had strong season but didn't win. But I guess none of these teams tried, it was a conspiracy to lose to never win a cup for Sundin, Lindros... They didn't have 30 goal wingers.... wait what? Oh I forgot, winning cups is about the team, not about a centers wingers. Ha forgot we were talking about hockey and not doubles tennis...
yes hockey is not just about your 1st line, however when your 1st consists of players like zednik, higgins, ryder etc...you have a very low shot of winning

look at all the teams who had a shot at the cup
pens 1st line included Crosby
red wings 1st line included datsyuk zetterberg hossa/franzen
sharks 1st line included thornton heatley marleau

Habs from a few years ago Higgins-Koivu-Ryder (not even comparable to the other teams)
and its not like our other lines would have been able to compensate

Closed Thread