HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why did the Canucks change their logo in the first place?

Old
03-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Ziostilon

vCash: 500
Why did the Canucks change their logo in the first place?

From what i gather, the Canucks still had the Johnny Canuck logo before leaving the WHL.

They didn't go the Stick in the Rink route until they entered the NHL.

So, why couldn't they stick with the Johnny Canuck logo, or some variation of that.

This is where it all went wrong. From the Flying Vs to the Skate logo to the Orca logo.

Did Vancouver management for the past 40 years fail to recognize that this team is called the Canucks. and its not called Vancouver H.C. (hockey club)

Orcas may exist in Vancouver, but what does that have to do with the name Canucks deriving from Johnny Canuck.

Get rid of everything on the jersey that does not have to do with Johnny Canuck

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:41 AM
digger18

I here you Ziostilon!

Not to mention that the Johnny Canuck Logo is by far the most visually pleasing logo that we have had in the history of the organization.

I think that management made a massive blunder in keeping the Orca Logo when they switched to the new RBK jesreys.

This is what I would like to see....

Blue Home Jersey: Johnny Canuck main logo, with the Hockey Stick logo on the shoulders.

White Road Jersey: Hockey Stick main logo, with the Johnny Canuck logo on the shoulders.

3rd Jersey: White version of the 1994 jersey, with the Johnny Canuck logo on the shoulders.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Ken Jones

that's 3 different main logos. i like the idea but i doubt they'd do it

Ken Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:53 AM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
that's 3 different main logos. i like the idea but i doubt they'd do it
We are currently using 3 logos anyway.

The 3rd jersey would be a nice tribute to the most succesful playoff run that the organization has ever had, as well as catoring to those fans who would like to see those jerseys brought back full-time.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:21 AM
JustinW

I thought they didn't have a choice with the whale? aren't they contractually bounded to keep the whale?

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:26 AM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
I thought they didn't have a choice with the whale? aren't they contractually bounded to keep the whale?
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that deal expires at the end of this season.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:30 AM
Johnny LaRue

Listen, I think what the Canucks need right now in continuity. The last thing they need is to change their logo again after they have changed the logo so often. If we do change it, I am in favour of sticking with the stick in rink logo since I don't like the Johnny Canuck logo.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:31 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
we should just bring back the skate logo.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
we should just bring back the skate logo.
The skate logo is the Canucks' best logo, but so many people seem hostile towards it.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
The skate logo is the Canucks' best logo, but so many people seem hostile towards it.
It's because the colour scheme that goes along with it is terrible, yellow, red and black don't work in times like today. The current Blue, Green, and White (one of the best colour schemes in the NHL IMO) won't work with the spaghetti logo.

I agree with an above poster, we need continuity, stick with the orca even though it isn't the best logo, its not too offending and we've had it for over 10 years now, might as well stick with it.

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:43 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
From what i gather, the Canucks still had the Johnny Canuck logo before leaving the WHL.

They didn't go the Stick in the Rink route until they entered the NHL.

So, why couldn't they stick with the Johnny Canuck logo, or some variation of that.

This is where it all went wrong. From the Flying Vs to the Skate logo to the Orca logo.

Did Vancouver management for the past 40 years fail to recognize that this team is called the Canucks. and its not called Vancouver H.C. (hockey club)

Orcas may exist in Vancouver, but what does that have to do with the name Canucks deriving from Johnny Canuck.

Get rid of everything on the jersey that does not have to do with Johnny Canuck
The WHL Canucks only used the Johnny Canuck logo for a year or two in the early 1960's but the usual uniform was more like this - which is the one that I remember.

For 7 or 8 years before entering the NHL and when they began play in the old WHL the Vancouver Canucks had used the Canucks word mark sweaters. The Johnny Canuck logo was more of a short term novelty.

Here is Phil Maloney in the Johnny Canuck logo sweater:

The current design uses an arched word mark similar to the old look but using "Vancouver" instead of "Canucks".

Here are some other photos of the Vancouver Lions and Canucks in their minor league days.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/gallerylanding.htm?id=12718

If anything the Flying V sweater evoked the past of the Vancouver Millionaires:

BTW the legal name of the team used to be Vancouver Hockey Club Ltd. from 1970 until Arthur Griffiths was bought out.
http://www.hamiltonhowell.ca/cases/neilson.htm

Then it was changed to Orca Bay Hockey Limited Partnership - see page 31
http://multimedia.thestar.com/acroba...8eb8855bec.pdf

After the Aquilini Investment Group bought out John McCaw they changed the legal name of the team to The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership. The Vancouver Canucks is a trademark of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership. See the legal footer on this web page:
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?bcid=181

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:53 AM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that deal expires at the end of this season.
I heard the same... which makes sense since most of the new merchandise is Johnny Canuck. Maybe you will get your wish.

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Solidius

I'm telling you guys, this is what the logo should be.

But assuming that the orca agreement expires this season, I would sooooo be in favour of adopting Johnny Canuck (not necessarily the running logo) as the full time image, as long as it was executed well.

(But... then what happens to Fin? )

Solidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:11 AM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
God I really hope they change the jersey. I want to buy a Canucks jersey, but imo they are so damn ugly. The 3rd jersey with the stick in the rink is livable, but our jerseys never compare to the ones around the league.

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Interior Cascadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidius View Post

I'm telling you guys, this is what the logo should be.

But assuming that the orca agreement expires this season, I would sooooo be in favour of adopting Johnny Canuck (not necessarily the running logo) as the full time image, as long as it was executed well.

(But... then what happens to Fin? )
Fin will be donated to science.

Interior Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:31 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Yuck. I'd take the flying V over the downhill skate. The skate imvho was the worst of the bunch and quite possibly one of the worst logos of all time. It reminds me of the New York Golden Blades logo ... shudder....

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:01 AM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

The team doesn't have the rights to the 'flying-v' millionaires style sweater, so they are unable to use it. It belongs to the BC Sports Hall of Fame.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:11 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luo The First View Post
The team doesn't have the rights to the 'flying-v' millionaires style sweater, so they are unable to use it. It belongs to the BC Sports Hall of Fame.
Hmmm interesting. Just a question though, i saw a few of these millionaire jerseys during the Olympics. Was wondering if they were fakes or was someone able to license them or does the Hall of Fame sell them?

I don't really want one, but just wondering. I personally like the skate design the best, but any proposed transitions into our new colours have seemed a bit off.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:56 PM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Hmmm interesting. Just a question though, i saw a few of these millionaire jerseys during the Olympics. Was wondering if they were fakes or was someone able to license them or does the Hall of Fame sell them?

I don't really want one, but just wondering. I personally like the skate design the best, but any proposed transitions into our new colours have seemed a bit off.
Giants have worn them...you can buy them here... http://www.vancouvermillionaires.com/

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Hal 9000*

The only problem with the "flying V" was the color scheme. Well, that and the elbows/socks V's. I think a third jersey that had the "flying V" with current colors blue and green would look pretty sharp.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:12 PM
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
Giants have worn them...you can buy them here... http://www.vancouvermillionaires.com/

Great looking jerseys. I love the maroon colour.

Although at this point I don't think the Canucks should be making any more uniform changes.

RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

It is a replica sweater produced by local hard-rock singer Jon Mikl Thor who bought the rights and is available for sale:
Quote:
One of the big attractions at the BC Sports Hall of Fame is a life-sized mannequin of hockey star Fred (Cyclone) Taylor, the star of Vancouver's only Stanley Cup-winning team, the 1915 Vancouver Millionaires.

There is a small problem, though. No Millionaires sweaters from 1915 are known to have survived. Cyclone's mannequin is actually wearing an old Ottawa Senators sweater -- the team the Millionaires beat to win the Stanley Cup.

This has bothered local hard-rock singer Thor for years. Thor is such a hard-core Millionaires fan, he copyrighted the name a few years ago and has been reproducing Millionaires merchandise.

Now he has produced a replica of the 1915 Millionaires sweater, which he will present to the BC Sports Hall of Fame May 1, so that the Cyclone can be shown in the proper duds.

When he says a replica, he means it.

The sweater is made from wool, just like in the old days, and has the 1915 "V" logo, which Thor's wife Kathryn painstakingly studied and reproduced from old photos.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...8-62715ca5dea6

Here is the website:
http://www.vancouvermillionaires.com/

The Vancouver Giants wore the Millionaires uniforms for a game on Legends Night a while back

Old
03-07-2010, 02:48 PM
bottomlesspop

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Yuck. I'd take the flying V over the downhill skate. The skate imvho was the worst of the bunch and quite possibly one of the worst logos of all time.
agreed. I understand the nostalgic attachment to the skate logo but from a design standpoint it looks like fried hell. We finally got the colour scheme back where it should be, let's not go back to black, red and yellow (now Flames territory)

The whale and wordmark doesn't bug me as much as it did when it was first introduced, but it's pretty lousy.

Can't do better than original flavour Stick n Rink.

bottomlesspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomlesspop View Post
agreed. I understand the nostalgic attachment to the skate logo but from a design standpoint it looks like fried hell. We finally got the colour scheme back where it should be, let's not go back to black, red and yellow (now Flames territory)

The whale and wordmark doesn't bug me as much as it did when it was first introduced, but it's pretty lousy.

Can't do better than original flavour Stick n Rink.
Apparently there was also a colour change made with the skate logo due to CCM not able to produce the orange and deep gold colours:
Quote:
The "Flying V" theme was abandoned in 1985, to feature the team's emblem on the front rather than the "V" (the emblem had previously been worn only on the arms). The logo consisted of the word "Canucks" in a diagonal slant as part the blade of a skate. The logo, with its laser-like design, was sometimes referred to as the "Star Wars" logo, the "waffle iron", the "plate of spaghetti", and most commonly, the "Flying Skate". The yellow home jerseys were scrapped in 1989 in favour of more conventional white ones, and the triangular shoulder stripes which adorned the post-"V" jerseys were discarded as well. The new incarnation was worn from 198992, when a subtle change was made and went largely unnoticed for the rest of the jersey's lifespan. The orange was changed to red, and the deep "gold" colour was changed to a much brighter yellow, reportedly because jersey-maker CCM no longer produced the required hues. In 1996, an alternate jersey was introduced, retaining the "Flying Skate" logo, but using a salmon colour graduating to black near the bottom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Canucks

Old
03-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer

If you guys ditch the whale after this season, would you also ditch the wordmark? I'd love a Kesler jersey, but the wordmark puts me off.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote