HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Why did the Canucks change their logo in the first place?

Old
03-07-2010, 03:02 PM
God
Free Citizen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
If you guys ditch the whale after this season, would you also ditch the wordmark? I'd love a Kesler jersey, but the wordmark puts me off.
You can get a 3rd jersey instead. I think the wordmark is fine. It looks good on the ice.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:10 AM
Amyco

I live in Montreal, and everytime I wear my Johnny Canuck t-shirt people ask me if it's a Vachon T-Shirt (a cookie and cake company).

Amyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It is a replica sweater produced by local hard-rock singer Jon Mikl Thor who bought the rights and is available for sale:
Of Zombie Nightmare Fame?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 05:39 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
The Voodoo had cool sweaters.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Yuck. I'd take the flying V over the downhill skate. The skate imvho was the worst of the bunch and quite possibly one of the worst logos of all time. It reminds me of the New York Golden Blades logo ... shudder....
Case in point, you hate our best logo!

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:03 AM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyco View Post
I live in Montreal, and everytime I wear my Johnny Canuck t-shirt people ask me if it's a Vachon T-Shirt (a cookie and cake company).
Then the people of Montreal are stupid...it has similar design stye if you don't know the difference then you have a serious observation deficiency.

with that said it should stay as a shoulder patch...

Home = present 3rd
Away= white version of present 3rd
3rd=green...have fun with it. I think the main 2 sweaters should be left alone. If they want to try new things out or even just want to boost sales change the 3rd.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Case in point, you hate our best logo!
Case in point, you love our mediocre when it was new and now outdated logo!

Seriously, from an objective design standpoint; the colour scheme is just plain terrible, but nostalgia is telling me that it works. If you want to attract new fans or sell merchandise; you don't replace the great selling blue, green, white jerseys with the yellow, black, red colour scheme.

To be honest, I don't like the orca either but the wordmark has grown on me; after getting used to it, other jerseys seem too plain without it. Although I do agree with most folks about the orca logo though, I much prefer the stick in the rink.

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:43 AM
goalie311

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
We are currently using 3 logos anyway.

The 3rd jersey would be a nice tribute to the most succesful playoff run that the organization has ever had, as well as catoring to those fans who would like to see those jerseys brought back full-time.
Actually, the Canucks are currently employing 5 different logo:
- the orca logo has a different color scheme for both home and away, so that's 2
- the modified stick-in-rink on the shoulders (and as primary logo on 3rd jersey)
- the Johnny Canuck-in-V logo on the 3rd jersey as shoulder patch
- and lastly, the full body Johnny Canuck, which while not displayed on any current Canucks jerseys, the Canucks do market it.

I had also stated on another thread how the Canucks technically have had 11 or 12 different logos in their history - craziness - they need to build a/o maintain an identity, and it needs to stick with the orca logo.

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:24 AM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknuck311 View Post
- the orca logo has a different color scheme for both home and away, so that's 2
- the modified stick-in-rink on the shoulders (and as primary logo on 3rd jersey)
- and lastly, the full body Johnny Canuck, which while not displayed on any current Canucks jerseys, the Canucks do market it.

I had also stated on another thread how the Canucks technically have had 11 or 12 different logos in their history - craziness - they need to build a/o maintain an identity, and it needs to stick with the orca logo.
The full body JC is on the helmets when they wear their 3rd's...I'm hoping to see this as a shoulder patch on a new 3rd sometime soon...

[IMG]http://www.****************/images/logos/1/29/full/9xft5e6hg85yq5m3j81s.gif[/IMG]

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:11 AM
digger18

Quote:

I am all about maintaining an indentity. But, considering that the orca logo has not been well recived by a large amount of Canucks fans I think it should be shelved. Not to mention that the color scheme of the logo does not really match the color scheme of the actual jersey it sits on. The dark blue/almost black color of the orca looks out of place on the bright blue uniform IMO.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Quote:
Apparently there was also a colour change made with the skate logo due to CCM not able to produce the orange and deep gold colours:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Canucks
I remember that from when I had a Canucks jersey as a kid. My jersey had yellow and red while my friends' older jerseys had burnt orange and a flatter red. I was told at the time it was so the jerseys would show up better on television. Who knows though.

You can see the difference in these two jerseys.

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Reign Nateo

The coolest idea in my opinion would be the 94 skate jersey re-modelled in the current blue/green/white colours. Maybe even a green home jersey?

But I tend to agree that they need some continuity, a jersey/logo change now would just complicate things further. How many Canuck logos are there already? Like 5?

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:48 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
The coolest idea in my opinion would be the 94 skate jersey re-modelled in the current blue/green/white colours. Maybe even a green home jersey?

But I tend to agree that they need some continuity, a jersey/logo change now would just complicate things further. How many Canuck logos are there already? Like 5?
This has been attempted by numerous photoshoppers. It looks horrendous.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:

Actually, you can also buy the 2 different variations of the stick in rink logo too - depending on the item.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:56 PM
FiveAndGame

I believe that Cyclone Taylors is selling the Vancouver Millionaires Jersey atm.

FiveAndGame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:06 PM
xtr3m

While black jerseys look cool, Canucks shouldn't go back to yellow. Olympic visitors were commenting on how they now realize why the jersey is blue and green. Vancouver is blue and green, not yellow and orange.

xtr3m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Canucksfans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidius View Post

I'm telling you guys, this is what the logo should be.

But assuming that the orca agreement expires this season, I would sooooo be in favour of adopting Johnny Canuck (not necessarily the running logo) as the full time image, as long as it was executed well.

(But... then what happens to Fin? )
Actually, as funny as it looks, the concept is quite good. All the logo's are on it.

Canucksfans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Canucksfans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
While black jerseys look cool, Canucks shouldn't go back to yellow. Olympic visitors were commenting on how they now realize why the jersey is blue and green. Vancouver is blue and green, not yellow and orange.
This is true. However, the visitors were actually laughing at the fact a fish was on our jersey and thought 'canuck' meant fish.

They understood the hockey stick and shape of the hockey rink .

Canucksfans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Franceso Aquilini agrees with you. Here is what Francesco Aquilini had to say about changing logos:
Quote:
While many of the Vancouver faithful are in love with the Johnny Canuck logo, the Canucks are intending to keep the old Orca Bay free willy stylized 'C' logo pretty much intact when they formally display their new uniforms. And frankly, it's for all the right reasons. They're not interested in a jersey money grab.

"We felt continuity was important, particularly for our young fans," said Aquilini. "For many of them, that is the only logo they've ever known and we don't want to be changing all the time just for change sake. It's not fair. You can't have a classic uniform if you keep changing and with all the fans we have we'd like to start building toward that.

"We've also got a lot of second-generation fans and I think that's exciting. My brothers and I watched the Canucks as kids, now we've grown up and are still watching and we're bringing our kids and I think there comes a time when you can change too much."
http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports...a1a914&k=36350

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucksfans View Post
This is true. However, the visitors were actually laughing at the fact a fish was on our jersey and thought 'canuck' meant fish.

They understood the hockey stick and shape of the hockey rink .
Then the joke is on them - the Orca is a mammal.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Quote:
Franceso Aquilini agrees with you. Here is what Francesco Aquilini had to say about changing logos:

I think you're right, and I don't see the Canucks changing their logo for the reasons you've cited.

I was interning at CTV in 2007 during the playoff run and spoke to one of the Canucks PR people. They had just released their "Believe in Blue" campaign and t-shirts although the jerseys were still the old blue and maroon colour scheme.

She mentioned the Canucks did not like the fact there were so many different jersey colours in the stadium due to their constant uniform changes. She said the Canucks wanted to have one consistent colour scheme and stick with it. The fact they changed all the banners and Smyl's retired number to blue and green tells me they are not intending to move away from the blue/green colour scheme. I hope they stick with those colours for the life of the franchise. The Canucks have the blue and green colour scheme all to themselves in the NHL and it looks awesome.

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:

They ARE interested in a jersey money grab, which is why they still redesigned the Orca just enough to make people wearing the old Orca to want to upgrade. It's also the reason they "updated" the stick/rink, and it's the reason they WILL ditch the Orca (thank god) in the (hopefully) near future.

Don't believe the hype.

BTW I agree with the team needing to build an identity and stick with a logo, but it can't be the constipated Orca. It's a terrible corporate logo, a remnant of the Orca Bay corporation. Go back to the stick/rink and never change again.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
we should just bring back the skate logo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
The skate logo is the Canucks' best logo, but so many people seem hostile towards it.
Count me in as another who misses the old black/yellow/red skate logo. I would purchase a black sweater in a heartbeat if the Canucks used it as their 3rd's.

Old
03-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
waffle logo was pretty awful and is too close to the flying v jerseys, i don't think we'll ever see them again

i always thought that they'd ditch the "vancouver" on the front of the current jersey when the olympics ended and make the current third jersey the permanent home jersey, with a lighter version as the road jersey

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
They ARE interested in a jersey money grab, which is why they still redesigned the Orca just enough to make people wearing the old Orca to want to upgrade. It's also the reason they "updated" the stick/rink, and it's the reason they WILL ditch the Orca (thank god) in the (hopefully) near future.

Don't believe the hype.

BTW I agree with the team needing to build an identity and stick with a logo, but it can't be the constipated Orca. It's a terrible corporate logo, a remnant of the Orca Bay corporation. Go back to the stick/rink and never change again.
The money grab issue was Tony Gallagher's editorial comment.

Aquilini was concerned about continuity.