HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why did the Canucks change their logo in the first place?

Old
03-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Ken Jones

vCash: 500
i say 70s stick in rink for home and away, and flying v for 3rd jerseys in mustard or black just for fun.

Ken Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
waffle logo was pretty awful and is too close to the flying v jerseys, i don't think we'll ever see them again

i always thought that they'd ditch the "vancouver" on the front of the current jersey when the olympics ended and make the current third jersey the permanent home jersey, with a lighter version as the road jersey
"Sweaters" please, we are Canadian after all, eh?

As noted at the time the current sweater was introduced the arched wordmark of "Vancouver" was incorporating a design element from the old WHL Canucks who had the arched wordmark "Canucks" on their sweaters for most of their WHL existence and was intended to pay homage to the Vancouver Millionaires.
Quote:
For fans and players alike, the most popular aspect of the new uniforms was undoubtably the return to the original 1970’s vintage blue, green and white – symbols of British Columbia’s abundant natural beauty.

Though less apparent, the use of the original stick-and-rink logo as a shoulder patch, the horizontal striping in keeping with traditional Canadian-style hockey sweaters, and the text ‘Vancouver’ emblazoned across the top of the jersey are a nod to the Stanley Cup Champions Vancouver Millionaires sweaters, as well as the old WHL Canucks jerseys. The entire design is a reference to Vancouver’s rich hockey history.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=452188

The original logo was designed by North Van Graphic artist Joe Borovich for which he was paid $5000.00:

Quote:
He still remembers how shocked and hurt he felt when the team's then-owners, the Griffiths family, decided to drop his logo in favour of one designed by a San Francisco company.

Those bright orange jerseys were supposed to "evoke passion and aggression." Instead, they drew almost universal scorn.

"I was devastated when the California group designed the new one," Borovich says. "I hated the Canucks. I heard it on Frosty Forst in the morning on CKNW. I couldn't believe it. I figured like the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens, I am here forever. Then all of a sudden this happened and I was just devastated."

And he didn't even have to wear the new uniform. Imagine how the Canuck players felt.

"I don't want to say we were horrified, but we were certainly surprised," says Harry Neale, who was the Canuck coach at the time. "It was my first year there and I remember we warmed up in the old Canuck uniforms and then took them off after the warmup and came out in those. It was a mistake, I think."

Neale says the team took a lot of abuse over those uniforms, especially on the road.

"We got used to them, but we got laughed at on the road. Especially that first year, we played Halloween night in New York and we were the costume winners. ... But I will say this. In 1982 in the [Stanley Cup] finals, they looked pretty good."

"It was nice to hear all that criticism it got, let me put it that way," Borovich says.
http://www.vancouversun.com/story_pr...49809&sponsor=

I have been told that the original logo was not the first choice. The owners of the WHL Canucks were successful in the bid for an NHL franchise and it was apparently their intention to use the WHL style Canucks wordmark sweaters when they entered the NHL.

When the ownership group had problems with finances and had to sell out to US entrepreneurs Lyman Walter and Tom Scallen from Minnesota (the chairman of Medicor, a medical insurance company and president of International Broadcasting Corporation, which owned the Ice Capades and Harlem Globetrotters. Scallen would later be jailed for fraud and sell out to the Griffiths family in 1974. It was apparently Scallen who made the decision to look for a new logo and the stick and rink was the result.
Quote:
Borovich was paid $5,000 for his original design, which was also used on the team's tickets. But the Canucks also asked him to get involved with producing the team's uniforms and he figures in total he made $15,000.

He earned another $10,000 when the team began using his logo again earlier this decade. Borovich had to do battle with the Canucks for that subsequent payment.

His original deal was with Medicor Group, the team's original Minneapolis-based ownership group headed by Tom Scallen and Lyman Walters. When the Canucks, under the ownership of John McCaw, began to use the logo again, Borovich approached then-general manager Brian Burke.

"They started using my logo on the shoulders and that's when I went to see Brian Burke. Brian said, 'Look Joe, we have to do something here because we don't have a contract.' He made me an offer which I thought was okay at the time and that's how it happened. "

Borovich got $10,000 and he and his wife Jean also received a pair of season's tickets for a year.
http://www.vancouversun.com/story_pr...49809&sponsor=

BTW here is an article about Scallen and Medicor who controlled the Canucks through Northwest Sports Enterpises. Apparently Scallen was a buddy of Arthur Wirtz of the Blackhawks who was helping finance the Canucks. That is likely how Scallen and Walters made it into the NHL ownership ranks in the first place.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2221,2700313

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The WHL Canucks only used the Johnny Canuck logo for a year or two in the early 1960's but the usual uniform was more like this - which is the one that I remember.

For 7 or 8 years before entering the NHL and when they began play in the old WHL the Vancouver Canucks had used the Canucks word mark sweaters. The Johnny Canuck logo was more of a short term novelty.

Here is Phil Maloney in the Johnny Canuck logo sweater:

The current design uses an arched word mark similar to the old look but using "Vancouver" instead of "Canucks".

Here are some other photos of the Vancouver Lions and Canucks in their minor league days.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/gallerylanding.htm?id=12718
Quote:
I have been told that the original logo was not the first choice. The owners of the WHL Canucks were successful in the bid for an NHL franchise and it was apparently their intention to use the WHL style Canucks wordmark sweaters when they entered the NHL.

When the ownership group had problems with finances and had to sell out to US entrepreneurs Lyman Walter and Tom Scallen from Minnesota (the chairman of Medicor, a medical insurance company and president of International Broadcasting Corporation, which owned the Ice Capades and Harlem Globetrotters. Scallen would later be jailed for fraud and sell out to the Griffiths family in 1974. It was apparently Scallen who made the decision to look for a new logo and the stick and rink was the result.
Blame it on Thomas Scallen? /thread

please people. don't change for nostalgia. I made this thread in order to set things right. the skate logo is the only one that makes sense, but it doesn't bode too well with the blue and green.

Going back to the CANUCKS wordmark with blue&green is better than that Orca whale we have now.

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
BIG

The Orca got old a while ago, i've always said we should stick with the modernized stick in rink and have a black 1994 alternate jersey. We could even have a once or twice a year vintage night, with either the old maroon jersey or WHL "CANUCKS" logo. It would be pretty cool and it's similar to what Montreal has been doing this season.

Last edited by BIG: 03-08-2010 at 10:16 PM.
BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
bottomlesspop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
It would be pretty cool and it's similar to what Montreal has been doing this season.
they've been around for 100 years and we probably have more uniforms.

So sad!

bottomlesspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidius View Post

I'm telling you guys, this is what the logo should be.

But assuming that the orca agreement expires this season, I would sooooo be in favour of adopting Johnny Canuck (not necessarily the running logo) as the full time image, as long as it was executed well.

(But... then what happens to Fin? )
I actually kinda like that.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Hyack57

I say just *****ing leave it. The current jersey has grown on me even with the word mark. I don't mind the whale even though it has no relation to the team name. It's a northwest thing and I appreciate it in that way. The colour scheme is fantastic.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
The only problem with the "flying V" was the color scheme. Well, that and the elbows/socks V's. I think a third jersey that had the "flying V" with current colors blue and green would look pretty sharp.
Like this?

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
Like this?

Good god, that is hideous, I used to do a lot of Graphics design work, so I've seen a lot of terrible stuff requested by clients, but that's just plain terrible.

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
Blame it on Thomas Scallen? /thread

please people. don't change for nostalgia. I made this thread in order to set things right. the skate logo is the only one that makes sense, but it doesn't bode too well with the blue and green.

Going back to the CANUCKS wordmark with blue&green is better than that Orca whale we have now.
Yeah, that is your opinion, whether or not the logo is good is objective.

Personally I think the skate logo isn't that attractive, it might have worked in the 80's - 90's but in today's world, it just looks outdated. Just way too busy, colour scheme is atrocious, the "lasers" making up the logo just reeks of the malaise era (80's-early 90's). In today's design culture, simplicity is king, 70's retro/vintage is pretty popular too (that said, 80's retro is still not in fashion). I personally think the stick in rink logo is the best of all the past Canucks logo, it's simple, has history, GREAT colour scheme, is related to hockey, and ages well.

That said, anyone want to photoshop a jersey with the skate in rink logo with the "vancouver" word mark just to see how it would look like? If so, shrinking the logo seems to be necessary to make it work.

No younger fans (teens) would want to wear a yellow, black, red jersey with that outdated logo on it, how do you attract new fans to purchase merchandise if they hate your logo. I understand a lot of the fans are attached to the spaghetti logo but how much of that is nostalgia and how much of it is objective?

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
The coolest idea in my opinion would be the 94 skate jersey re-modelled in the current blue/green/white colours. Maybe even a green home jersey?
In case you were curious:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/...s_Concept2.png

I tend to think this one looks slightly better:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/...r+old+unis.png

IMO, this looks like the German national team's jersey:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/...ongo_skate.jpg

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
Yeah, that is your opinion, whether or not the logo is good is objective.

Personally I think the skate logo isn't that attractive, it might have worked in the 80's - 90's but in today's world, it just looks outdated. Just way too busy, colour scheme is atrocious, the "lasers" making up the logo just reeks of the malaise era (80's-early 90's). In today's design culture, simplicity is king, 70's retro/vintage is pretty popular too (that said, 80's retro is still not in fashion). I personally think the stick in rink logo is the best of all the past Canucks logo, it's simple, has history, GREAT colour scheme, is related to hockey, and ages well.
im not basing it off of aesthetics. im just basing this all of facts.

Johnny Canuck is a human. Orca Whale is an animal. human ≠ killer whale

Old
03-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
im not basing it off of aesthetics. im just basing this all of facts.

Johnny Canuck is a human. Orca Whale is an animal. human ≠ killer whale
Johnny Canuck is a fantasy.

An Orca is real.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Johnny Canuck is a fantasy.

An Orca is real.
you get where im going

the skate logo at least makes sense, since the wording "canucks" is on it

its like the Florida Panthers using their shoulder logo as their primary logo. its like some tropical tree.

Yes, that is what represents Florida. But Panthers have little to do with a tropical tress.

Old
03-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
Like this?

Wow, yeah that looks sharp! I'd buy one of those.

The nice thing about this as opposed to the skate thing as a third jersey, is the continuity of not adding another logo. Keeping at 2 logo's and Johnny as a shoulder patch means you can wear these in the crowd, assuming that the color scheme is exactly as it is now, and not have 3,4 or even 5 different logo's out there.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:59 PM
silvercanuck

I'll never understand the love for the skate logo. It adorned one of the most infamously ugly uniforms in pro sports history and had absolutely nothing to do with the name of the franchise. The colours are absolutely vomit inducing and it is so dated looking now it's not even funny.

As far as I'm concerned it's blue and green forever. They should never have changed those colours. All they need now is to get the logo right.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:22 PM
HavoK041

To sell more jerseys.

If the organization really cared, they would let the fans have a say in the team's logo. And methinks it wouldn't be an orca anymore.

HavoK041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:50 PM
LeftCoast

Personally - I'm with Aquilini, keep the orca and the blue, white and green colour scheme. Don't mess with the branding by changing the logo yet again.

Also - Johny Canuck is a really, really bad logo. Like most cartoon / anthropomorphic logos (including the Islander Captain Highliner and the flying Michelin Man Mighty Duck) it really sucks.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
In case you were curious:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/...s_Concept2.png

I tend to think this one looks slightly better:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/...r+old+unis.png

IMO, this looks like the German national team's jersey:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/...ongo_skate.jpg
Hey thanks for that I was curious! But I still think it could work with a proper design and not just some dude with MS paint.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

At this point, just keep the current jerseys. Try and build a brand. Even if it's not the best jersey we've had, we should stick with this.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:10 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
The skate logo is the Canucks' best logo, but so many people seem hostile towards it.
instead they love the stupid looking stick in rink.

I actually don't mind that logo once in a while, but as a full time one it sucks.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:22 AM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
they should make a black 3rd jersey, with the johnny canuck logo

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:19 AM
rye&ginger

Logo Design 101

a. One logo is your primary logo
b. anything else is not. Less is more.

Either change NOTHING, or remove the whale C logo from the pod and go with the rink/stick as the primary. Johnny Canuck as a primary logo wont look that great, but works well as a shoulder patch.

Colours should never ever change again.

Have a 3rd jersey that can change every few years to rake in the $. Dont mess with the home and aways much.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Spamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Logo Design 101

a. One logo is your primary logo
b. anything else is not. Less is more.

Either change NOTHING, or remove the whale C logo from the pod and go with the rink/stick as the primary. Johnny Canuck as a primary logo wont look that great, but works well as a shoulder patch.

Colours should never ever change again.

Have a 3rd jersey that can change every few years to rake in the $. Dont mess with the home and aways much.
The colours are loved. Remove the stupid Vancouver wordmark. My canucks flag that I bought this year has it and I hate it. Don't mind the logo though. Logo's not bad. I hate the johnny canuck flag though. That logo is ugly!

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:41 AM
digger18

If the Whale logo didn't suck so much, they wouldn't be teasing us with the stick n rink and johnny canuck logos.

I dont care which one they switch to, but the Whale logo needs to go.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote