HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Why did the Canucks change their logo in the first place?

Old
04-15-2010, 12:00 PM
CascadiaPuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Logo Design 101

a. One logo is your primary logo
b. anything else is not. Less is more.

Either change NOTHING, or remove the whale C logo from the pod and go with the rink/stick as the primary. Johnny Canuck as a primary logo wont look that great, but works well as a shoulder patch.

Colours should never ever change again.

Have a 3rd jersey that can change every few years to rake in the $. Dont mess with the home and aways much.
Agreed.

If they must tinker, then for the love of god, keep the blue/green/white color scheme (I think it's very appropriate for coastal BC). A sea of blue in the crowd would look really tight going forward. I have good memories from the colours-of-the-German-flag days and the turn-of-the-century scheme too, but I also feel sad whenever the mix of all these different kits is shown on TV.

CascadiaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:01 PM
DanyHeatleyfnAllstar
French Coach!

Just leave them.

The one thing the Canucks have that are the best in the league are their gloves.

Look at those things. They're so sharp looking...

DanyHeatleyfnAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbag View Post
Agreed.

If they must tinker, then for the love of god, keep the blue/green/white color scheme (I think it's very appropriate for coastal BC). A sea of blue in the crowd would look really tight going forward. I have good memories from the colours-of-the-German-flag days and the turn-of-the-century scheme too, but I also feel sad whenever the mix of all these different kits is shown on TV.
I choose to eschew the whole hockey sweater craze and wear a suit (mine run the colourful gamut of navy blue to dark grey and black with the occasional festive pinstripe thrown in) as I sit in the lower bowl texting on my Blackberry (with the Canucks app of course).
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=523625

I will often wear this tasteful necktie to the game:

And carry this money clip:

If I decide to really go crazy then this tie:

In the play-offs I will usually add these cufflinks:

And this tie clip:

Note -

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Ziostilon

the thing that makes the jersey look sharp is its colors and striping position

the ideal Johnny Canuck logo would be the Vancouver Giants one. so a spinoff from that would look great.

it'd look pretty ugly if they just threw the Johnny Canuck logo from the ones on the helmet when wearing the 3rds

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:43 PM
digger18

The thing that drives me nuts the most about our current logo is that the colours don't even match the rest of the uniform. It just looks out of place, especially on the home jersey.

I was never a fan of the Orca logo itself, but it definately looked better on the blue and red jerseys, because the logo colours actually matched the uniforms.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:48 PM
CascadiaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I choose to eschew the whole hockey sweater craze and wear a suit (mine run the colourful gamut of navy blue to dark grey and black with the occasional festive pinstripe thrown in) as I sit in the lower bowl texting on my Blackberry (with the Canucks app of course).
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=523625

I will often wear this tasteful necktie to the game:

And carry this money clip:

If I decide to really go crazy then this tie:

In the play-offs I will usually add these cufflinks:

And this tie clip:

Note -
Well obviously such finery trumps the whole 'sea of blue' idea. But not everyone has such amazing taste. Maybe next season the players should take to the ice wearing collared jerseys and ties? Then the fans in the stands would really start classing things up.

CascadiaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:04 PM
FiveAndGame

I would like to see the Stick & Rink logo reintroduced as our primary for both Home and Away jerseys.

It is really frustrating to see 5 or 6 different variations of the logo because IMO that is not a logo but a blatant attempt to sell more jerseys. The third jersey should be something else that is easily recognizable, but a little different.

My Hopefuls: Stick & Rink (Home and Away) and Johnny Canuck or the Vancouver Millionaires "V" (3rd)
PS. Stick with the Green and Blue because it looks GREAT and is probably one of the best colour schemes in the NHL.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 10:59 AM
goalie311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulence View Post
I think you're right, and I don't see the Canucks changing their logo for the reasons you've cited.

I was interning at CTV in 2007 during the playoff run and spoke to one of the Canucks PR people. They had just released their "Believe in Blue" campaign and t-shirts although the jerseys were still the old blue and maroon colour scheme.

She mentioned the Canucks did not like the fact there were so many different jersey colours in the stadium due to their constant uniform changes. She said the Canucks wanted to have one consistent colour scheme and stick with it. The fact they changed all the banners and Smyl's retired number to blue and green tells me they are not intending to move away from the blue/green colour scheme. I hope they stick with those colours for the life of the franchise. The Canucks have the blue and green colour scheme all to themselves in the NHL and it looks awesome.
Watching the Canucks first playoff game last nite, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of the home and third jerseys in the crowd, so lotsa blue & green. The identity is starting to form.

But short of banning fans from wearing any skate logo colours or 'original' orca colors, there's always going to be different jersey colors in the crowds. Hell, I love my yellow 'V' jersey, and I would proudly wear it to a game once in a while.

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
If you guys ditch the whale after this season, would you also ditch the wordmark? I'd love a Kesler jersey, but the wordmark puts me off.
Outsider opinion here:

When the Canucks first added the word-mark to the jersey's I thought they looked pretty stupid. But they're grown on me now, I think both the home and away jerseys have a classy look to them with the word-mark. I wouldn't change the Canucks jersey's if I was in charge right now, Johnny Canuck belongs only on the shoulder patches IMO. You guys have one of the top 10 jerseys in the league I would say, behind the original six and a couple others.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 07:38 PM
RandomRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Listen, I think what the Canucks need right now in continuity. The last thing they need is to change their logo again after they have changed the logo so often. If we do change it, I am in favour of sticking with the stick in rink logo since I don't like the Johnny Canuck logo.
I hate this continuity argument! The orca is lame and everyone knows it. Get a good look and they there won't be talk about it every single year. These discussions come up all the time for a reason...

RandomRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodapopinski View Post
I hate this continuity argument! The orca is lame and everyone knows it. Get a good look and they there won't be talk about it every single year. These discussions come up all the time for a reason...
EXACTLY. People seem to miss this point. There's been no continuity because for the last couple decades the team has had awful logos. The messy, gaudy, dated 90's downhill skate, the league laughing stock flying V, the blatant corporate Orca Bay orca...terrible, terrible stuff.

I want continuity as well - but I'd like a logo worth keeping first. At least if they go back to the stink/rink, it already has some history.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
nibbles

Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
Easy answer = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

/thread.

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 10:13 PM
AmazingNuck

I have never understood the love for the Stick-in-the-Rink. I think it's clever but I don't really like it. What I would like to see is a blue sweater with "Vancouver Canucks" written in a thin silver handwriting for the home jersey and a white sweater with "Vancouver Canucks" written in a thin blue for the away jersey. Not the greatest idea, and it's really more of an alternate jersey idea, but meh.. that's my idea dreamt up in three minutes.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:34 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Make the stick in the rink slightly wider, so it actually makes the logo look like a "C". Use the 40th Anniversary jerseys with the negative space "V". Then leave them both the hell alone for 100 years.

The Canucks now own the rights to the Millionaires logo. THAT jersey should be the third, and will be, no question, by 2015.

The skate logo is bleh, but beloved because it is associated with a Stanley Cup run. The Halloween jerseys are hideous, but God I love 'em. Like your first girlfriend, though, they're a better memory than a current reality.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
bluegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It is a replica sweater produced by local hard-rock singer Jon Mikl Thor who bought the rights and is available for sale:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...8-62715ca5dea6

Here is the website:
http://www.vancouvermillionaires.com/

The Vancouver Giants wore the Millionaires uniforms for a game on Legends Night a while back

Those Millionaires jerseys are awesome! With the white pants! Don Taylor was right.

bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:03 PM
FlowMaster

I didn't like the new jerseys when they first came out either, but now they have really grown on me. I don't think they should change them. They look quite sharp, as others have said.

FlowMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:07 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidius View Post

I'm telling you guys, this is what the logo should be.

But assuming that the orca agreement expires this season, I would sooooo be in favour of adopting Johnny Canuck (not necessarily the running logo) as the full time image, as long as it was executed well.

(But... then what happens to Fin? )
The original version of that logo Pfizer made was in the 94 jersey color scheme. Some guy on CDC got a rather large tattoo of it on the inside of his forearm.

I'm not kidding.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:13 PM
DrChill

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
I here you Ziostilon!

Not to mention that the Johnny Canuck Logo is by far the most visually pleasing logo that we have had in the history of the organization.

I think that management made a massive blunder in keeping the Orca Logo when they switched to the new RBK jesreys.

This is what I would like to see....

Blue Home Jersey: Johnny Canuck main logo, with the Hockey Stick logo on the shoulders.

White Road Jersey: Hockey Stick main logo, with the Johnny Canuck logo on the shoulders.

3rd Jersey: White version of the 1994 jersey, with the Johnny Canuck logo on the shoulders.

I don't mind the Johnny Canuck logo but like the rink and skate better. To me this is a good ch
ice. Call the marketing department.!!

PS THE ORCA BLOWS GOATS

DrChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:32 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
I like the Orca, even if it has a corporate history etc... The skate and the V was dropped for a reason, they don't look very nice. I can go with all the current logotypes, they are nice.

Actually I had a Orca hoddy on tonight while I attended a game between Edler's old club and another third tier team (2-0 btw).

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
The original version of that logo Pfizer made was in the 94 jersey color scheme. Some guy on CDC got a rather large tattoo of it on the inside of his forearm.

I'm not kidding.
hahah lol.

that picture reminds me of what I want for the stupid NHL super hero thing: Johnny Canuck, riding an orca. He'd basically be a ridiculous Aquaman. Who was a lumber jack.

but alas it's going to be stupid instead of fun.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:17 PM
JBIZ14

Home:

Away:

3rd:

Heritage Classic:

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:19 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidius View Post

I'm telling you guys, this is what the logo should be.

But assuming that the orca agreement expires this season, I would sooooo be in favour of adopting Johnny Canuck (not necessarily the running logo) as the full time image, as long as it was executed well.

(But... then what happens to Fin? )
cool idea, but there is way too much going on with that logo, the best logos are simple and orignal. ie. Red Wings, Blackhawks, heck even the flames one is good. WE should stick with the Orca with a herniated spinal condition for a while

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
we should just bring back the skate logo.
Seconded. I loved the black road unis. Such a bad ass sweater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
It's because the colour scheme that goes along with it is terrible, yellow, red and black don't work in times like today. The current Blue, Green, and White (one of the best colour schemes in the NHL IMO) won't work with the spaghetti logo.
The term you're looking for is 'marketable colors'.

Old
01-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Cernunnos

The Orca is my favourite logo by far...even without the "Vancouver" on top of it, it's unmistakably the logo of a Northwestern, coastal team.

the stick-in-rink, while simple and clean, says absolutely nothing about the team or the city. If they had kept it instead of going through multiple logo identity crises, it might have enough history behind it to work anyways, but unfortunately it doesn't.

Johnny Canuck looks like cartoony **** right now. I would be embarassed to wear a jersey with it as a primary logo, although if they rework it, who knows. The Skate isn't even worth considering, as much as I have good memories of it.

Cernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:27 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
The Orca is my favourite logo by far...even without the "Vancouver" on top of it, it's unmistakably the logo of a Northwestern, coastal team.

the stick-in-rink, while simple and clean, says absolutely nothing about the team or the city. If they had kept it instead of going through multiple logo identity crises, it might have enough history behind it to work anyways, but unfortunately it doesn't.

Johnny Canuck looks like cartoony **** right now. I would be embarassed to wear a jersey with it as a primary logo, although if they rework it, who knows. The Skate isn't even worth considering, as much as I have good memories of it.
I would argue that the logo shouldn't really have anything to do with the area of where the team is from unless the name of the team references that, a la Ottawa Senators.

Blackhawks has nothing to do with Chicago. Leafs doesn't invoke Toronto. Rangers doesn't harken to anything in NY. and on and on and on.

If the Canucks were called the Vancouver Nor'westers, then it would make sense to have an Orca, but as it stands, the Orca is out of left field. It would make more sense if the Orca was a shoulder patch, similar to how Florida has Palm Trees as their patches.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote