HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Why did the Canucks change their logo in the first place?

Old
01-09-2011, 11:32 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
Heritage Classic:
Bingo. My guess is in the next couple years we see a heritage classic between the Canucks and Sens, with us wearing the Millionaires jerseys against these:

Not just the 'O' flag ones they have as thirds (I think).

That would be awesome.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:40 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
I personnaly don't feel like the current colour scheme is the right one for this team. It feels very unsubstantial and light. Toylike colours.

Although I guess that could be said for all NHL teams now.

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:40 AM
0123456789*

This thread is a perfect example of why changing jerseys every few years is so profitable.

Just listen to what people think, always want something new, get bored of the old, no patience, im not that old but the generations now a days are so damaged as a result of our ultra capitalistic society and modern marketing.

Be happy with what you have, enjoy the hockey, and understand that a team logo a unique identifier for a team, not a marketing tool or a art project aimed at the demographic and generation that the most profits can be squeezed out of at one particular moment in time. Oh yeah that is actually what a logo has become, and you all are a perfect example of why it has and continues to be.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:18 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
Home:

Away:

3rd:

Heritage Classic:
I'm on board with this. keep the colours, keep the stick and rink, and use green for the 3rds. not sold on the Jonny Canuck logo for the 3rds though, would like to see instead an updated version of the Millonaires "V" wordmark logo, white and blue on a green jersey.

add in the white towels, and it's like a double ocean!

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:31 AM
RadRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Personally - I'm with Aquilini, keep the orca and the blue, white and green colour scheme. Don't mess with the branding by changing the logo yet again.

Also - Johny Canuck is a really, really bad logo. Like most cartoon / anthropomorphic logos (including the Islander Captain Highliner and the flying Michelin Man Mighty Duck) it really sucks.
This... Why the hate for the Orca ?
The more I see the current uniforms, the more I like them.
The Stick in rink is OK, but Just doesnt feel strong enough.
Hate Johnny Canuck, just feel s Gimmicky... Willing to go out there and say if it was the main logo, most here would be screaming for a change.

RadRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Lat

I personally like this mockup:

Really, the skate logo was such a big part of my childhood. I'm not too fond of the blue/green mockups of the skate that were posted earlier in this thread, but I think if it was done well it would look nice.

Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRoo View Post
This... Why the hate for the Orca ?
The more I see the current uniforms, the more I like them.
The Stick in rink is OK, but Just doesnt feel strong enough.
Hate Johnny Canuck, just feel s Gimmicky... Willing to go out there and say if it was the main logo, most here would be screaming for a change.
You guys do know that the original point of this thread wasn't because the Orca being unpleasant to my eyes.
But because an Orca has nothing to do with the term Canucks.

Whereas logos like Stick in the rink actually represents a national pastime of Canadians.

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:42 PM
TheCrazedMadman

Frankly, I dont give a crap what the logo "means" (or that it HAS to co-incide with the term "Canuck")....as long as its pleasing to the eyes....I'm happy with it. STOP WITH THE LOGO CHANGES and let us build an identity as a team!!

TheCrazedMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Cernunnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
I would argue that the logo shouldn't really have anything to do with the area of where the team is from unless the name of the team references that, a la Ottawa Senators.

If the Canucks were called the Vancouver Nor'westers, then it would make sense to have an Orca, but as it stands, the Orca is out of left field. It would make more sense if the Orca was a shoulder patch, similar to how Florida has Palm Trees as their patches.
Fair point, but then what are we left with?
The Skate logo is incredibly generic (I mean, aside from the fact they actually spelled out "Canucks" in it), and the Stick-in-Rink is even more generic/bland...it could pass as the logo for any hockey team anywhere, or even the NHL itself.

So we're left with Johnny Canuck, who, at least in his present incarnation, looks like he should be on the t.v. on Saturday morning, not on the jersey of a professional team. I don't want the Canucks to pull a Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

I still think the Orca is the best compromise, even if it doesn't refer to the canucks explicitly...I like the fact that someone who didn't know the logos of the teams could figure out what city (and therefore team) the logo belonged to. Of course, there is the problem of that stupid "Vancouver" wordmark...

Last edited by Cernunnos: 01-10-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Cernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM
0123456789*

The Orca has everything to do with Vancouver and the team name. The Orca represents the arguably the most important animal now and in the past with the Natives and the locals, it represents the pacific northwest probably better than anything else could. The word Canuck might have a history from pilots during the war but the word is now and was back then slang for Canadian, Orcas like I mentioned represent Canada in this region therefore it is only reasonable to have them represents Canadians/Canucks from this region.

Regarding the colour scheme they are the colours of the pacific north west, even the city of Vancouvers flag has these colours. Blue and green have represented this region for a very long time, most regions out there dont have colour schemes linked to them, ours actually does, and it stands to reason it should be used for the hockey team.

I just dont understand people, if your going to share your opinion on a subject then please atleast take a moment to read up on it.

Old
01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
matrix XII

What's wrong with our current ones? I like them the best.. *shrugs*

matrix XII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
The Orca has everything to do with Vancouver and the team name. The Orca represents the arguably the most important animal now and in the past with the Natives and the locals, it represents the pacific northwest probably better than anything else could. The word Canuck might have a history from pilots during the war but the word is now and was back then slang for Canadian, Orcas like I mentioned represent Canada in this region therefore it is only reasonable to have them represents Canadians/Canucks from this region.

Regarding the colour scheme they are the colours of the pacific north west, even the city of Vancouvers flag has these colours. Blue and green have represented this region for a very long time, most regions out there dont have colour schemes linked to them, ours actually does, and it stands to reason it should be used for the hockey team.

I just dont understand people, if your going to share your opinion on a subject then please atleast take a moment to read up on it.
1) Colours - Blue, Green and White should never have been changed to the Black, Yellow, Red. Nor was the move to the dark navy, blue, red, and grey any good. The original colours were and are the best choice for the team

2) Logos - Man, we've had so many.
Johnny Canuck - right now, it would not look great as a primary logo. Was not designed to withstand the passage of time. Stance is the issue
Stick and Rink - decent, but I for one never liked to see a logo change colours, as the original ones did from the white to blue jerseys. I liked what they did with the 3rds making the logo blue on the blue jersey. However, the logo itself, works best as a shoulder patch, because of its simplicity.
Skate - Probably the colours used for it made me hate the logo. If it was in blue and green, maybe I would feel differently about it.
Orca - Never liked it. Even now, they change the colour of it when it's on the blue vs white jersey. A logo should be able to go on both the white and dark jersey without any change to it. Otherwise, it's not a good logo.
J. Canuck with V - Again, like the stick and rink logo, works best as a shoulder patch, which it does on the 3rd jersey.

Ideal jersey for me would be the blue and green colour scheme. Same striping right now. I would like to see a more modernized version of the Johnny Canuck logo that could withstand the passage of time. Keep the stick and rink as the shoulder patch.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Just leave the jerseys be and eventually they will be classic, especially if the team wins a cup in them. Look at the Devils jerseys. IMO, the Devils jeresys aren't particularly striking, but could you imagine the Devils wearing anything else? I can't. Those are their jerseys.

I don't care if the Canucks mess with the third/retro jerseys, that's what those jerseys are for. However, just leave the main jerseys alone. The team has jumped around far too much. The only thing I really don't like is the logo colours don't match the jersey colours, but that's not the end of the world. The Blackhawks logo doesn't really match the jersey colours either.

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
i did not know Canucks was a slang term for Canadians of only the British Columbia region. i thought it was a term for all Canadians in this country.

if i go to Prince Albert, Sasketchewan am i going to find Orca Whales?
Beavers are the symbol of Canada. It would make sense, in terms of animals, had our primary logo been a beaver.

Also, like i've previously stated. Primary logos need to be a DIRECT REFERENCE of the team name.
Therefore: Orca Whale = Vancouver = a city in Canada (Not a direct reference, there are two equal signs)

Whereas: Stick in the Rink (Hockey representation) = Canada (this is a direct reference, only one equal sign)

My best example is the New England Patriots.
This is their helmet logo:

and the regular one:

Or you can be like this guy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazedMadman View Post
Frankly, I dont give a crap what the logo "means" (or that it HAS to co-incide with the term "Canuck")....as long as its pleasing to the eyes....I'm happy with it. STOP WITH THE LOGO CHANGES and let us build an identity as a team!!

Old
01-11-2011, 01:21 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Also - Johny Canuck is a really, really bad logo. Like most cartoon / anthropomorphic logos (including the Islander Captain Highliner and the flying Michelin Man Mighty Duck) it really sucks.
It's a 3rd-rate cartoon that looks like exactly what it is - the logo for a minor-league hockey team from the 1960s. It's bloody dreadful and pretty much is the Canadian version of Captain Highliner.

If you like Johnny Canuck, buy a Vancouver Giants sweater. We don't need to have the same logo for both of the hockey entities in this market.

As for the Canuck jerseys, my preference would be :

1) back to the original stick in rink as the primary jerseys. The logo/colour scheme are the ones that there are the greatest acceptance of in the fanbase (note the universal approval of the throwback jerseys we wore on opening night) and carry a fair bit of tradition.

2) '94-era flying skate jerseys as the 3rd jersey. This is the uniform that most of the fanbase grew up with, that the team had the most playoff success wearing, that most of the most popular players in franchise history (Bure, Smyl, Linden, McLean, Snepsts) wore through the bulk of their careers here. Would be great to see that uniform back 5 times/year. And while it was damned ugly during the early 1980s, the final version was actually very sharp and the road blacks were one of the best looks in the league.

3) kill the orca. A stupid corporate creation that represents the darkest period in franchise history. Has nothing to do with the franchise or the team name. Doesn't have much tradition. Doesn't look as good as the stick/rink with the blue/green colour scheme. None of the team colours are actually in the logo, which is just bizarre. Was a change that nobody wanted in the first place.

And stick with it.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:27 AM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
i did not know Canucks was a slang term for Canadians of only the British Columbia region. i thought it was a term for all Canadians in this country.

if i go to Prince Albert, Sasketchewan am i going to find Orca Whales?
Beavers are the symbol of Canada. It would make sense, in terms of animals, had our primary logo been a beaver.

Also, like i've previously stated. Primary logos need to be a DIRECT REFERENCE of the team name.
Therefore: Orca Whale = Vancouver = a city in Canada (Not a direct reference, there are two equal signs)

Whereas: Stick in the Rink (Hockey representation) = Canada (this is a direct reference, only one equal sign)

My best example is the New England Patriots.
This is their helmet logo:

and the regular one:

Or you can be like this guy:
Well I guess the name Vancouver Canucks, or Vancouver Canadians, or maybe just Canadians from Vancouver doesnt mean anything. It doesnt specify where the Canucks are from, or which Canucks we are talking about, kinda like Canucks from Vancouver, from the pacific northwest.

Anyways im done with this subject, the jerseys wont be changing as far as I know so it doesnt matter. The only reason the Millionaires logo was bought was for a heritage classic game in the near future.

Old
01-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Meganuck*

Green third jersey would be disguting. As others have said. Black jersey with Skate logo would be ideal. I dont even care if they try and change the piping on the jersey.

The current 3rd should be the standard one and the current Vintage should be the road jersey. Just add the names to the back or just replace the orca with the stick/rink logo with the current away jersey.

That would be way to easy however.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:56 AM
Ziostilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post
The current 3rd should be the standard one and the current Vintage should be the road jersey. Just add the names to the back or just replace the orca with the stick/rink logo with the current away jersey.

That would be way to easy however.
I would love for that to happen. isn't that what we're transitioning to anyways. Even their practice jerseys are stick-in-the-rink

Old
01-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Nedved1*

Actually, I think it is. I think we are phasing out the Orca . More and more equipment has the vintage or johnny canuck logo's on them. All the canuck players are using hats with vintage on them.

I dont see anyone with the orca logo on their hat anymore. And good riddance too. Cant tell you how many millions of hockey fans keep looking at the stupid whale and going ........so a fish means 'Canuck' ............

Nedved1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Shankill Butcher

The thing about the jersey/logo is that there will never be a consensus on what looks best unless the team has prolonged playoff success or more importantly wins a Stanley Cup. If they win the cup, whatever sweater they're in will be immortalized in everyone's mind as it will be their favourite Canucks related memory and will always look back fondly at x player hoisting the cup wearing that jersey.

Sure, the orca looks dumb to a lot of people now because it's "corporate", and the wordmark may seem silly. But if they win a cup or two then the change them years later everyone will cry because "those jerseys are classic".

I hated the wordmark at first and wanted the orca gone. But after watching so many games, I feel they're the most aesthetically pleasing jerseys we've ever had, regardless of corporate connotations. The colour scheme is perfect, the whale looks much better in this scheme, and I actually think the wordmark is unique and could eventually be considered classic if this team has any kind of success.

Shankill Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved1 View Post
Actually, I think it is. I think we are phasing out the Orca . More and more equipment has the vintage or johnny canuck logo's on them. All the canuck players are using hats with vintage on them.

I dont see anyone with the orca logo on their hat anymore. And good riddance too. Cant tell you how many millions of hockey fans keep looking at the stupid whale and going ........so a fish means 'Canuck' ............

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:25 AM
silvercanuck

I will still hate the orca logo even if the team wins a cup while wearing it. It's been with the team for over a decade and it has not grown on me one bit.

The skate logo is just stupid. It's dated and is a skate for crying out loud. The colours belong to the Calgary Flames.

The Johnny Canuck logo is a cartoon drawing and it's obvious that the Canucks made it look like a cartoon and not a crest so that they wouldn't have to put it on a jersey. They use it as an unofficial mascot now. I think they should change the colours slightly and thicken the lines to make it look more like a crest and use it as a third jersey.

I agree that the current third jersey and special throwback jersey should be the Canuck's main set. Those two jerseys work with the colour scheme and rest of the uniform so much better than the main jerseys they have now. The pants and socks on the main set look so much better than the current jerseys they wear with them.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:27 AM
pucky

The Canucks jerseys suck. I don't get it... why do Canucks fans like blue/green so much? Are they re-located Hartford Whalers fans? Also, the rink logo is boring and plain. Plain is probably better than way overboard but the rink logo is sooooooo boring and dull. The Johnny Canuck logo as said is no better than Captain Highliner which was used on the Islanders jerseys and the other cartoonish logos that have been used in the League.

As much as it would be cool to see a Canadian team go to the Finals, I don't like the 'Nucks uniforms, sorry. The blue/green paired with the logo or Orca Bay logo is super boring.

How come no one capitalizes on the nickname, 'Canucks?' It means 'Canadian' (slang), riiiiiiiiight? I'd switch the colors to red/black/white or red/white/blue and have a red Leaf with a 'V' in it or something to that effect. See how it looks.

Or keep blue/green and have the maple leaf....green.... why not?

Found this thread after noticing some of the other threads of teams changing uniforms (Tampa/LA etc.) and made me think of the Canucks' one for some reason.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 12:52 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I love the Canucks colors because they feel authentic to the area. There's a reason the Seattle Seahawks use a similar color scheme, it just screams Cascadia.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 01:46 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
The Canucks jerseys suck. I don't get it... why do Canucks fans like blue/green so much? Are they re-located Hartford Whalers fans? Also, the rink logo is boring and plain. Plain is probably better than way overboard but the rink logo is sooooooo boring and dull. The Johnny Canuck logo as said is no better than Captain Highliner which was used on the Islanders jerseys and the other cartoonish logos that have been used in the League.

As much as it would be cool to see a Canadian team go to the Finals, I don't like the 'Nucks uniforms, sorry. The blue/green paired with the logo or Orca Bay logo is super boring.

How come no one capitalizes on the nickname, 'Canucks?' It means 'Canadian' (slang), riiiiiiiiight? I'd switch the colors to red/black/white or red/white/blue and have a red Leaf with a 'V' in it or something to that effect. See how it looks.

Or keep blue/green and have the maple leaf....green.... why not?

Found this thread after noticing some of the other threads of teams changing uniforms (Tampa/LA etc.) and made me think of the Canucks' one for some reason.
agreed. we should have the Toronto Maple Leafs jersey, but add a splash of red. If someone could photoshop that pronto, it would be appreciated.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote