HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

2010 National Hockey League Draft

View Poll Results: Where will we draft in the 1st round of the 2010 draft?
1st through 3rd 1 2.63%
5th 2 5.26%
6th 1 2.63%
7th 4 10.53%
8th 3 7.89%
9th 6 15.79%
10th 6 15.79%
11th 4 10.53%
12th 4 10.53%
13th 2 5.26%
14th 1 2.63%
Dallas somehow makes the playoffs. 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Chad_

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Keller View Post
The only dman that I've read any scouts say is NHL ready is Fowler. Trading up to get him would be very costly and probably not worth it.
According to E.J. McGuire in an interview earlier today on NHL Live when the rankings were released, Gudbranson is NHL ready and ahead of Fowler in that respect (others too, hence the ranking).

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Killer Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
According to E.J. McGuire in an interview earlier today on NHL Live when the rankings were released, Gudbranson is NHL ready and ahead of Fowler in that respect (others too, hence the ranking).
WELL GOOOOOOOOD FOR HIM!! naw just kidding.

What would the cost be to move from 10-11 down to 3-4? I would love to see either of those guys drafted by the Stars, but I think we are better off not trading down (because it would probably cost at least next years 1st rounder) and waiting a few years for Forbot to be ready for the NHL. Who knows, 5-6 years from now, Forbot may be the better player, you never really know how a player will develop. Plus if Lehtonen doesn't have a healthy season, the Stars will have a very good 1st round pick next year.

Killer Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Chad_

Quote:
WELL GOOOOOOOOD FOR HIM!! naw just kidding.
Hah! Yeah, I know. While McGuire's opinion is something to be noted, no one really knows what player, if any, is actually NHL ready at this point. I just thought I'd share there's at least one more d-man the phrase NHL ready has been lobbed upon.

Old
04-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Quote:
Quote:
The only dman that I've read any scouts say is NHL ready is Fowler. Trading up to get him would be very costly and probably not worth it.
I personally don't think either are NHL ready. I would say that Fowler is probably more NHL ready because I don't really see him changing all that much. His positional play could be better (but that's the type of game he plays), but he's not like Gudbranson who is still working on his shot, skating, trying to cut down on mental lapses plus he can still fill into his body a bit more.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
So is everybody pretty much agreeing that we need to target Dmen?

Cin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Think that goes without saying.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Chad_

I wouldn't be upset if the Stars used all their draft picks on d-men. In fact, I think I'd prefer it.

Old
04-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
The only way I wouldn't be upset is if their first round pick is used on a forward with a ton of scoring potential. That being said, defensemen should be our #1 priority.

#1-Defensemen
#2-Goalies
#3-Anything else

That's how I break it down anyways.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

I'd prefer a d-man but let's say that Fowler, Grudbranson, Gormley and Forbot are all gone by the time with pick 11th overall. If that's the case then one of the better forwards is going to fall and I'd prefer them not to reach with a pick when the obvious value is not there.

Lots of AHL experienced NHL ready players could be had for roster players. Say trading Niskanen for Goloubef in Columbus. Or something like that. I think Daley and Skrastins also have trade value for players like Gragnani or Weber in Buffalo.

Making a draft pick for a guy like Forbot does not preclude making other trades to shore up the defense sooner.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Chad_

This isn't draft talk, but along the lines of Hull Fan's recent comment. A guy I really like is Ryan O'Byrne. I have no idea how highly Montreal rates him, but he's impressed me every time I've seen him play.

Old
04-10-2010, 03:41 AM
Dundalis

As far as I'm concerned, you don't reach for players just because they are a need. We can look to fill the dman need with a trade, and pick some dmen later in the draft, and pick a forward with our higher pick/s if the forwards are better. If we pick a dman in the first round, whom would be a 2nd or 3rd rounder in other drafts, but there is a genuine first round quality forward available, we should take the forward. I would think our history of average to poor drafting by going down the above route would speak to that fact. But everyone seems to want to keep doing it, even though we keep drafting turds with our higher picks.

Dundalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
If we pick a dman in the first round, whom would be a 2nd or 3rd rounder in other drafts, but there is a genuine first round quality forward available, we should take the forward.
Who is arguing the Stars should reach that far? No team in any sport drafts the way describe. BPA, but with a heavy, heavy emphasis on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
I would think our history of average to poor drafting by going down the above route would speak to that fact. But everyone seems to want to keep doing it, even though we keep drafting turds with our higher picks.
I'd argue the Stars draft quite well comparative to other teams, mindful of draft position, which is why no one here should be worried about whomever the Stars pick.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:02 PM
vofty

Quote:
Who is arguing the Stars should reach that far? No team in any sport drafts the way describe. BPA, but with a heavy, heavy emphasis on defense.

I'd argue the Stars draft quite well comparative to other teams, mindful of draft position, which is why no one here should be worried about whomever the Stars pick.
I'd have to agree with Chad on this, I think the lack of top prospects in the system is more a result of the GM trading away the first round pick year after year after year than as a result of drafting the wrong players in the early rounds. Also most of the early picks have graduated to the NHL. Obviously the more recent picks are still up for debate but I'd say as a whole the Stars have done a lot with a little.

2009-
1st-Scott Glennie
2nd-Alex Chiasson

2008-
1st-no pick
2nd-Tyler Besko (jury still out but not holding my breath on him)
Philip Larsen came out 5th round, made his NHL debut on Thursday.

2007-
1st-no pick
2nd-Nico Sacchetti
Benn came out of 5th round, been fantastic in his rookie season

2006-
1st-Ivan Vishnevskiy
2nd-no pick

2005-
1st-Matt Niskanen
2nd-James Neal
Tom Wandell came out of 5th round, was having a very solid rookie season before the injury

2004-
1st-Mark Fistric
2nd-Johan Fransson
2nd-Raymond Sawada
2nd-Nicklas Grossman

2003-
1st-no pick
2nd-Loui Eriksson
2nd-Vojtech Polak
2nd-B.J. Crombeen

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Chad_

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I read a report some time ago stating the average NHL talent each team pulls out of one draft is somewhere around 1.4 players. The Stars, under Les Jackson, have performed much higher than that all the while, for the most part, picking late in each round or not even having the most sure-fire pick of them all, a first rounder.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Les Jackson's drafting prowess is one of the last things that should be questioned by fans.

I haven't built up any faith in Niewy but as long as he doesn't trade any more picks I will look forward to the draft.

A lot of us argue about who should be traded for what but I think most of us are in general agreement with this team's overall selection process.

Old
04-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Chad_

For comparison purposes, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest most NHL fans feel the Detroit Red Wings are the absolute best franchise in terms of finding late-round gems. I'm going to define "late-round" as being fourth and later, and am not going to go by statistics or who could potentially be a good player, but rather by selections who have played in the NHL. I'm also going to limit the query to 1996, mainly just to save time.

Detroit (12): Ritola, Helm, Quincey, Meech, Ericsson, MacIntyre, Bykov, McDonnel, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Laing and Young

Dallas (13): Larsen, Benn, Wandell, Smith, Wathier, Jokinen, Miettinen, MacMillen, Patera, Kapanen, McLean, Christie and Kwiatowski

Naturally both Datsyuk and Zetterberg are better than anyone the Stars drafted, but the 'win' for a late pick is for the player just to make the NHL. The Red Wings have had 78 fourth round picks or later from 2008 through 1996, while the Stars have had 70, meaning the Stars actually hit more often on late round picks than the Red Wings.

Meanwhile, the Stars have drafted 37 NHL players from 2007 to 1996, an average of 3.08 NHL players per draft. The Red Wings have drafted 26 NHL players in that same time span, an average of 2.17. The Stars drafted 111 players while the Wings drafted 102.

Yeah, I think I'd put up the Stars drafting with any other team out there, even though it never gets the respect it should while other teams' drafts seem to get heralded as being superb.

Old
04-11-2010, 01:12 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Tomorrow it will be decided 11th if the Ducks pick up at least a point, 12th if the Oilers beat the Ducks in regulation.
Not counting that so called draft lottery thing.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Stars99Lobo37

Ugh, gonna feel dirty cheerin for those Birds....but forced to.

Old
04-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Starsdude

Is there an undeniable top goalie. It may be worth it if he is there at 12-13. The rest d-men.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Is there an undeniable top goalie. It may be worth it if he is there at 12-13. The rest d-men.
The top goalie is Jack Campbell but I don't know if we should go for him in the first round. We can afford to draft a goalie in the later rounds.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Chad_

Not that it matters, but CS ranked Pickard out of Seattle ahead of Campbell.

To answer the first question, no, there's not an "undeniable top goalie" in the draft, otherwise they would be mentioned with Seguin and Hall for the top pick. There are certainly goalie prospects, and from what I've read both Pickard and Campbell are first round picks, but that's really it as far as top-end talent at the goalie position. That's certainly not to say no other goalie drafted will become a top goalie, not to mention some team may feel another goalie is ahead of either or both those guys.

Either way, I don't think the Stars should draft a goalie with their first pick. I've long subscribed to the idea every team should draft a goalie each draft, but that goalie picked doesn't have to be a first rounder on a position that is more of a crapshoot than others.

Old
04-11-2010, 03:41 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 25678
Keep in mind that we only have 5 picks in this draft. If Rynnas ends up signing here I don't see any need to spend one on a goaltender. You'd have 4 guys with starter potential (Kari/Rynnas/Bachman/Besko) in the organization, which is sufficient for the time being.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Regardless of Ryannis, goalies are a crap shoot at best. Marc-Andre Fluery was a top five pick, his numbers are nothing to write home about. Carey Price was too.

Let's take a look at first round 1-15 selection goalies

Marc Andre Fleury - 1 - decent numbers on the best team in the league but not a top 11 pick in a ridiculously deep draft.

Kari Lehtonen - 2 - injuries have derailed him. Has immense talent. Will he be a true number one that can play 50 games though?

Al Montoya - 6 -bust

Devan Dubnyk - 14 - only now breaking in and has been terrible for Edmonton this season

Carey Price - 5 - Maybe its Montreal maybe its him but Price has played his way out of a starting job for the Canadians.

Johnathan Bernier - 11 - Trying to break into the NHL this season there's still a lot of debate as to whether he's starting goalie material or not.

Riku Helenius - 15 -injured and washed out with Tampa's AHL team.

All things being equal I'll take my chances on the position player rather than a goalie with a first rounder. Too many bad things can happen and dozens of goalies are found later.

Old
04-11-2010, 07:36 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 25678
I agree with your overall point and most of your examples, but I don't think there's much doubt that Bernier will be a starter, and a good one at that. Possibly as soon as next season.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Stars99Lobo37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Devan Dubnyk - 14 - only now breaking in and has been terrible for Edmonton this season
He's had his moments IMO. Anyone would be terrible for that Edmonton team.