HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ABC Pulls Channel of Cablevision

Old
03-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Well apparently the problem ABC had was that Cablevision was charging customers for the free service while the other providers (DirecTV & Verizon) were not.

Which if true makes sense that they were asking Cablevision to pay them for a percentage of the amount that Cablevision was actually charging customers for their "free service". If what I heard today from a couple of people is accurate then ABC was 100% in the right to try and get some money outta cablevision.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cablevision was basically taking programming that ABC provides for free and charging customers up to $19.95 for that programming. In return Cablevision was paying ABC nothing for that primary ABC channel.

But, looks like whatever the problem is was settled as someone else said ABC is on my TV right now

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:36 PM
ecemleafs

why the **** is on demand not working

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:44 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Put this team on channel 7. No one would miss a thing.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Dolan is a genius. He offers free merchandise for the night and locks the door to the store.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:36 PM
OrbitalDynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Everyone that couldn't watch the Oscars tried to order "Free" on demand movies and crashed the system.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:48 PM
UAGoalieGuy

On demand has been working for me since the end of the Rangers game.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
OrbitalDynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
On demand has been working for me since the end of the Rangers game.
You're one of the lucky ones then, friend of mine is out in Islip and she was losing her mind with no Oscars and no on demand.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Fletch

I'm glad my wife wasn't even tempted to record or watch the Oscars due to the channel not being on Cablevision for some time. Best Sunday night of Oscars for me...ever!

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 08:55 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Regardless of whose right or wrong in this specific instance, the fact of the matter remains. Cablevision loses yet another channel for its customers in a short period of time. People don't care for the details, they just want their network(s) back. And for paying $30/mo for basic cable, rightfully so. It's not like ABC is only forcing Cablevision to pay these increases, every cable television provider is anting up. It's the nature of the business. Dolan is just a hothead greedy pig who isn't willing to do right by his customers, Cable viewers and NYR/NYK fans alike.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:00 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Fellows, this issue is much bigger than Dolan, Cablevision and WABC. Cable companies all round the country have been getting broadcast network programming essentially for free for many years. Only in recent years has there been any money or consideration change hands. By comparison, cable systems pay ESPN $4.25 per subscriber to carry their program. It's a businesss model that has severly threatned the broadcast networks and enriched their cable competitors. It's also why programing like the BCS and the NBA All-Star game are now on cable. The cable netwoirks are getting huge fees which they are turning around to purchase the rights to big events. There's more to come.

The broadcast networks are fighting back and in the future you will see many more of these skrimishes. Pegging a deadling to important programming like the Oscars is one very important tool that the broadcast networks have in their arsenal. Don't be surprised if this happens around Super Bowl time in the future.

Last edited by bobbop: 03-08-2010 at 10:40 AM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:28 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I just ordered Direct TV - I have Cablevision with the Center Ice package and for the past week or so I've only been able to get the NHL Network intermittently. I'm so fed up with the terrible service, the channel load times taking forever, and getting nickeled and dimed to death. So fed up with the constant advertisements that give great deals to new customers while flicking the bird at us (former) loyal customers.

I'll miss Versus for now - hopefully they get it back to Direct TV for the playoffs.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote