HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances of Re-Signing Ponikarovsky

Old
03-07-2010, 12:48 PM
mikeod1986

vCash: 500
Chances of Re-Signing Ponikarovsky

Just wondering what the chances are of us keeping Ponk past this year. Personally I think he's a GREAT fit and I think he could be a perfect 3-4 year solution for us in the top 6 while still being very effective.

Burke said in his post trade interview that Ponk had asked for a 4 yr deal. Do you think that's something we could facilitate? I'm thinking something in the 4 yr/14.5 mill could be reasonable for a 20 goal/70 pt a year guy which I know he could get easily playing with Geno or Sid.

Anyone think the chances are good he'll return? Want him back for 4 years? Opinions?

GO PENS!

mikeod1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

I would say the market for Poni will be there and part of it depends on how he plays with Sid or Geno.

Signing him to a 4 year deal is a big commitment, but it he meshes, it could be worth it. I believe that Poni in would mean Gonchar (or even Letang) is out.

Being Gene Malkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 12:59 PM
SCPens

I'd say it could very well work out, although I'm thinking it would come at the expense of his fellow countryman, Rusty. With Feds and Billy G coming in at $3.8 combined, I'm sure Ray could replace those 2 with a combined Pony along with an entry level contract (ala Tangradi/Johnson/etc..).

SCPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:02 PM
DreamBeaut

Kunitz-Crosby-???
Poni-Malkin-Tangradi
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

I like the possibilities of that for next years top 9, pending who we would get to play with Sid..

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I think we're jumping the gun, here. He's not Marian Hossa. He's not a Priority 1 re-signing.

Let's see how it plays out.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:10 PM
mikeod1986

losing gonch would hurt, but I really doubt that it would impact us THAT much...

it would take an extended learning curve as to how the PP would function, but I believe Gogo could fill the other side of the point alongside Geno and with time and patience we could have a solid unit even without #55. Personally I feel right now the emphasis should be on top 6 talent, we can resign Leopold and have a solid enough Defensive corps. If we can get Leopold for $1 mill/yr and Eaton for 800k/yr (fair value for both I believe) Let Gonch walk, we could still use him, but we can move on without him.

our top 6 is so thin though, and no real people ready to step in except Tangradi and even then theres a chance he may not be ready. You have to figure Billy/Feds are both out, so I think resigning Ponk will prove crucial.

plus the 3rd line is ready to implode, I don't see Cookie coming back, he'll look for a raise, but its ok beacause Duper is a good fit there and Max/Rupp should be anchoring that 3rd line, Staal is ready for extended time with Geno. At $4 mill/yr I want Jordan in the top 6.

Kunitz-Sid-Tangradi

Ponk-Geno-Staal

Duper-Rupp-Kennedy

Talbot-Adams-Godard

Orpik-Letang

Gogo-Eaton

Leopold-Lovejoy

Fleury/Johnson or Curry

Solid if you ask me, very solid

Old
03-07-2010, 01:11 PM
WVP

Don't see Shero offering him 4 years.

I'd like to see him back at 3 years, 3M/year but that's wishful thinking. As a 50-60 point 6'4" guy he's probably looking at 4M on the open market and he'll probably get those 4 years as well.

So unless he gives a bit of a discount, I'm not sure we can afford him.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:13 PM
NewFang

He's not signing for anything less than 4/4. If he was, he'd likely still be in Toronto.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:14 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I think we're jumping the gun, here. He's not Marian Hossa. He's not a Priority 1 re-signing.

Let's see how it plays out.
I'm with you on this Jag but if he does fit and we're able to re-sign him to a decent price I'd go:

Kunitz - Crosby - Johnson/Rookie
Poni - Malkin - Dupuis
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Rupp - Talbot - Adams
Godard

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:20 PM
SCPens

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Don't see Shero offering him 4 years.

I'd like to see him back at 3 years, 3M/year but that's wishful thinking. As a 50-60 point 6'4" guy he's probably looking at 4M on the open market and he'll probably get those 4 years as well.

So unless he gives a bit of a discount, I'm not sure we can afford him.
Yeah, I agree .. it's going to take some shrewd offers by Shero this summer to patch together the roster going into next year. But I wonder .. do you think GMRS is 'smarter' than most of us think? Look at Guerin - he hadn't tasted any competitive type hockey for quite some time, wallowing away on the island. He re-upped at a number that NONE of us expected! Pony comes from the Leafs who haven't been to the playoff since when..?? Before the lockout? And Leopold too .. he's bounced around a bit over the past 4 or 5 years. Does Ray give away picks/Caputi/etc with the idea of re-signing every guy he acquires based on the circumstances from which each player has come from? Hmmmmmm...

SCPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Dan Barr

Already?

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2449
Personally, I'd like to see how he performs down the stretch first. What if he doesn't mesh with Malkin? What if he stops acting as a screen in front of the net on the PP? What if he doesn't produce when it matters (ie. playoffs)?

I like what I saw in his first game as a Penguin. But it's foolish to make an assessment of his worth to this team based on one singular game.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:26 PM
WVP

Yeah, let's see what he does in the playoff before we even have this discussion.

Old
03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Crosberry87

The team can pretty much be kept together if we let Gonchar go. Thanks for 5 great seasons but its time to move on. But as others have said, this is pointless if Poni sucks down the stretch.

Kunitz Sid Tangradi
Poni Malkin Dupuis
Cooke Staal TK
Adams Talbot Rupp
Johnson

Letang Orpik
Leopold Eaton
Goligoski Lovejoy
Despres?

MAF
Backup

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
The team can pretty much be kept together if we let Gonchar go. Thanks for 5 great seasons but its time to move on. But as others have said, this is pointless if Poni sucks down the stretch.

Kunitz Sid Tangradi
Poni Malkin Dupuis
Cooke Staal TK
Adams Talbot Rupp
Johnson

Letang Orpik
Leopold Eaton
Goligoski Lovejoy
Despres?

MAF
Backup
Godard is under contract for next year and will be back. Take out Johnson. Also, that blue-line is a little too soff for my liking.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:37 PM
mikeod1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Yeah, let's see what he does in the playoff before we even have this discussion.
This doesn't change the fact that we will have gaping holes in our top 6 next year and he's a player who's prototype fits EXACTLY what we need and he's still young enough that 3-4 quality years isn't a stretch at all...

The market is awfully thin this year and reality is we need top 6 talent. Something tells me Shero wouldnt have dealt Caputi for this guy if he didn't think he had a good shot at working a deal to keep him...

Old
03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
AgentM

I'm not sure, but I like that the team has planned ahead in it's wooing of Poni in case they do want to keep him. By flying him in on a private jet and then putting up the Welcome billboard they've shown what kind of organization they are in terms of how they treat their players.

I like their thinking here and hope that if Poni clicks here that he will seriously consider staying past this season. If the 4 year rumor is true, I'd be okay with that if he went for $3.5m per, but I'm guessing he'll want more than that. But Shero is the magic man and I think he will get Poni to see the light and stay for 3 years @ $3.7m per.

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
mikeod1986

Quote:

Kunitz Sid Tangradi
Poni Malkin Dupuis
Cooke Staal TK
Adams Talbot Rupp
Johnson

Letang Orpik
Leopold Eaton
Goligoski Lovejoy
Despres?

MAF
Backup

Everyone seems to have Cooke penciled in to return and I don't know if I see it. I think he's going to move on for a shot at a contract around $2.5 mill or so, about a million a yr raise. If he wants $2 mill or over I don't see us keeping Cookie sadly

Old
03-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1346
I can picture Poni being a 25g and 60pts guy in the Burgh.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod1986 View Post
If we can get Leopold for $1 mill/yr and Eaton for 800k/yr
Why in the world would Leopold take a pay cut of 750k and Eaton take 1.2 million less? That's just ridiculous thinking if you actually believe they'd do such a thing.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SlyGuy

Quote:
The team can pretty much be kept together if we let Gonchar go. Thanks for 5 great seasons but its time to move on.
Gonchar's more important to this team than you realize (just look up stats with and without Gonchar in the linup). I think Shero knows his value and I have no doubt we'll be seeing him in a Penguins' uniform next season.

SlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Ugene Malkin
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
He's not signing for anything less than 4/4. If he was, he'd likely still be in Toronto.
Yes, I can see this, and Poni would be worth it. Malone signed a 7 year 4.5 deal with Tampa. I don't see where signing Poni for 4 years at 4.0 is bad, had Malone signed for that here, there would be no need for Poni.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:44 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
This doesn't change the fact that we will have gaping holes in our top 6 next year and he's a player who's prototype fits EXACTLY what we need and he's still young enough that 3-4 quality years isn't a stretch at all...

The market is awfully thin this year and reality is we need top 6 talent. Something tells me Shero wouldnt have dealt Caputi for this guy if he didn't think he had a good shot at working a deal to keep him...
No. It doesn't change it. But we have seen him play one game... I go back to the moto of "In Shero We Trust".

Shero undoubtedly sees exactly what you are saying, there will be huge holes win both our top 6 and defense next year. Poni is a possibility for being a 3-4 year player for us. But Shero will not over pay for him, it all comes down to what the player wants and/or is will to accept.

IF... And if he turns out to mesh great with Sid or Geno and does his role fully. Then I would offer up 2.5-3.0 per for 3/4 if he wouldnt take that then Poni can go.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
WVP

Quote:

OK, well we have the luxury of analyzing his play during the playoffs rather than signing him right now.

Not sure if you're implying you'd still sign him after a bad playoff?

Old
03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyGuy View Post
Gonchar's more important to this team than you realize (just look up stats with and without Gonchar in the linup). I think Shero knows his value and I have no doubt we'll be seeing him in a Penguins' uniform next season.
Gonchar is a coin flip. Id say its 50/50 on seeing him as a Pen next season.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote