HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances of Re-Signing Ponikarovsky

Old
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I really really hope that we keep Poni on the first unit. He was okay there against Dallas but we didn't get to see anything in the Boston game because the refs refused to call penalties on the Bruins. But on his goal he showed quick hands and an accurate shot, something Guerin is lacking at this point in his career.
What is your obsession with Poni, AgentM? As someone who knows obsessions, it seems obvious to me.

Does Poni blog about how awesome Hayley Williams is or something?

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:15 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
I hardly saw enough quality in the play of either Johnson or Connor to legitimately suggest them for top 6 duty on a full-time basis. This is why I'm all for promoting TK, as I feel he does have the qualities (and experience) to full the role quite well. Our only other option would be to bring in Tangradi, who may or may not be ready for it as of yet, or dig into our pockets and spend a bit of cash in finding a winger to fill the spot.
Conner had that one good game in NY that he potted 2 goals and Johnson looked solid on Geno's wing. Would either be better than TK in the top 6? I dunno, I'm really not a fan of Kennedy in the top 6 for some reason which is why I suggested bringing Colby back.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:25 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
What is your obsession with Poni, AgentM? As someone who knows obsessions, it seems obvious to me.

Does Poni blog about how awesome Hayley Williams is or something?
Seriously? I don't know! But I admit that I've become fixated on him being a Penguin for the longterm. Last year I wanted us to trade for him at the deadline while he still had a year left on his contract. Now I want him to stay past this season for a 3 or 4 year ride.

I guess I've always pictured him as a good sidekick to Geno and now that he's here I want it to become true. Both to get the best out of Malkin and to prove that I was right

Oh God, if he did blog about Hayley I think Poni and I would have to become BFF's!!!

Old
03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Seriously? I don't know! But I admit that I've become fixated on him being a Penguin for the longterm. Last year I wanted us to trade for him at the deadline while he still had a year left on his contract. Now I want him to stay past this season for a 3 or 4 year ride.

I guess I've always pictured him as a good sidekick to Geno and now that he's here I want it to become true. Both to get the best out of Malkin and to prove that I was right

Oh God, if he did blog about Hayley I think Poni and I would have to become BFF's!!!
Indeed.

Old
03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I'd rather take a chance on signing Frolov than re-signing Poni.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
If he's not there to put up goals then what's his role? The way I see it Feds' role should be to contribute offensively as much as possible, as he's not gritty enough to play a grinder role, nor is he good enough in his own end to play a more defensive role. I'm not saying that he should be putting up 30+ goals and 60-70 pts a season or anything, but it shouldn't be too unrealistic to expect 20-25goals and 50+ points from him on Geno's wing either I'd imagine.
Difference being that he is no longer a primary option.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Difference being that he is no longer a primary option.
Difference being he is no longer good.

Old
03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
pixiesfanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
ye, because this team needs more streaky wingers.

pixiesfanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Indeed.
Regardless of my obsession though I do think he's a pretty good fit so far, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I wonder what Frolov will command on the open market, especially after all of the talk about moving him earlier this year and scoring well under his normal total of goals thus far.

Old
03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesfanyo View Post
ye, because this team needs more streaky wingers.
unless we're going to Swing a deal for Kovalchuk or draft an elite talent then we're going to have streaky wingers. The majority of wingers who score in the 20-25 bracket are streaky.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I like Frolov more than Ponikarovsky and always have. But he is definitely riskier. No question. BUT, he's big, right-handed, plays either wing and really owns the boards on the cycle.

Old
03-09-2010, 06:05 PM
AgentM

Quote:
I like Frolov more than Ponikarovsky and always have. But he is definitely riskier. No question. BUT, he's big, right-handed, plays either wing and really owns the boards on the cycle.
I'll agree that Frolov is probably the better player, but I'd rather have Poni re-signed before July 1st rather than hope Frolov is interested and that we can afford him.

Old
03-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Katawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I apologize in advance, but I just cannot take comments like these anymore. There are so many of them.

I went to do the numbers. In the 16 games that Gonchar has missed this season, the Pens have scored 5 PP goals from 62PP opportunities. That's a success rate of 8 percent, which I imagine is the worst in Penguins history.

In the remaining 50 games, the Pens have scored 40 PP goals from 198 opportunities. That's is a success rate of 20.2 percent. Not 'great', but certainly not dreadful.
Then you can say: "But remember that Malkin was also out, and Gogo, and then Letang. Its not that simple!" True.
So, we look at the numbers for just those four games from Sarge's second injury break where these guys were back. It is admittedly a small sample size, but it is what we have. 1/14 on the PP = 7.1 percent. Team record, 1-3-0.

More importantly - record without Sarge: 7-9-0, winning percentage: 0.437 (28th in the league pace).
Record with Sarge: 33-13-4, winning percentage: 0.700 (tied with Chicago for 3rd)

It is one thing that there are games where Sarge looks dodgy defensively, non-physical etc. I think it is often over done big time, but those games are there, and there have been more of them than we've seen in the past two years. True.
But you HAVE to look at the big picture, when talking about what life is with him and would be without him. We don't have a PP without Sarge, and there are just two defensemen in the NHL who produce more points per game this season. Green and Keith. He has more points than any of our players short of Crosby, Malkin and Staal, and this supposedly 'big time declining player' has a PPG on pace for ~69 points over an 82 game season. His career high is 67.

Its good and well if you want your defensemen to be solid defensively first and foremost, but too many games are won and lost on special teams not to pay special attention to it, and as for our blueliners, Gonchar is a key component on both those units, leading defenders also in PK time per game (I didn't do the stats for the PK but considering the amount of PP goals we conceded in Sarge's absence, I will bet anything that there's a major difference there as well).
Good posting. Good points.

Katawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:55 PM
grabo84

Quote:
I'll agree that Frolov is probably the better player, but I'd rather have Poni re-signed before July 1st rather than hope Frolov is interested and that we can afford him.
They're similar enough that you're clearly better off trying to sign Poni at a bit of a discount. Poni's not the goal-scorer that Frolov is, but on Malkin's wing that may not be as much of an issue.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Pens play, I haven't seen Ponikarovsky with them outside of highlight reels.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
They're similar enough that you're clearly better off trying to sign Poni at a bit of a discount. Poni's not the goal-scorer that Frolov is, but on Malkin's wing that may not be as much of an issue.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Pens play, I haven't seen Ponikarovsky with them outside of highlight reels.
You haven't missed much.