HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Craig Billington Appreciation Thread

Old
03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

vCash: 500
The Craig Billington Appreciation Thread

I love this guy. He has paid his dues at all levels within the organization, and has proven to be one of the savvy minds who helped turn around our scouting and player development efforts, taking one of the weakest systems in the league to one of the strongest in the matter of a few years. I think we need to give him some serious credit; Sherman has the title of GM and probably is in charge of the books, but I really think Biller (along with PL) is the one making most of the personnel decisions, and I am glad. Seriously, give the guy any title he wants, I'm just happy that he is part of the management team of this organization.

Here's a great, old quote of his:

Quote:
"I've been working the mental skills and the mental training for the past six or seven years. It's an ongoing process. It's constantly changing, and it's really a journey. I think the greatest lesson I've learned is that it's not just for hockey. I can apply this anywhere in life. In raising a family, you talk about belief, commitment, discipline, and respect. That's the type of person I want to be, no matter what I am doing, because I always want to get the best out of me. We only go through this life once, and I want to get the best out of Craig Billington every day. Whether it's at the hockey rink, the gym, with my friends or family, that's the way I want to be." - Craig
I think he has to be a huge influence on the emphasis that's been placed on drafting and developing high character, team-first individuals in recent years. That's the guy who I want to continue leading our young crop of players into the future.

He might do most of his work behind the scenes, but here's to you Biller! Keep it up.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 06:12 PM
thedoctor
                    

truly the best thing about the Avs front office today. Cheers to CB!

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Despite the front office follies the scouting has remained good. i'm starting to wonder if Billington should have been considered for the GM post.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:12 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Despite the front office follies the scouting has remained good. i'm starting to wonder if Billington should have been considered for the GM post.
Apparently he was... maybe he felt he was better suited for the player development side of things specifically; anytime I see/read a prospect interview and they mention contact w/ the Avs, it seems to be in the form of a phone call/visit from Biller.

Old
03-08-2010, 02:40 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
The next Ken Holland!

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:02 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Even though he doesn't have the title of GM, I'm pretty sure he works in tandem with Sherman when they make decisions. Of course, this is all with PL looking down upon them.

I call it the holy trinity.

PeterTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Even though he doesn't have the title of GM, I'm pretty sure he works in tandem with Sherman when they make decisions. Of course, this is all with PL looking down upon them.

I call it the holy trinity.
Billington is head of the hockey operations and assistant GM. He does everything on the hockey side of the organization. Sherman does the accounting side of it.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 11:49 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Season's over, but I want to resurrect this thought. The future of hockey is bright in the Mile High City. Keep scouting well, keep drafting well, and keep this thing headed in the right direction!

Here's to a great turnaround season! Heck of a lot of fun.

Old
04-25-2010, 12:35 AM
CapnCrunch

I think it's a good time to resurrect it since our season is over. He definitely deserves our appreciation!

CapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2010, 12:48 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

I have faith in this team's continued progress and success so long as Biller is making personnel decisions. It's going to be an interesting offseason. So with us being ousted in the first round, what does that do to our specific selection position in the draft? #19?

Old
04-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
I have faith in this team's continued progress and success so long as Biller is making personnel decisions. It's going to be an interesting offseason. So with us being ousted in the first round, what does that do to our specific selection position in the draft? #19?
Yes, the Avs currently sit at 19, but could move up if Boston, Philly or Montreal advance to the conference finals.

Old
04-25-2010, 01:27 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Billington is head of the hockey operations and assistant GM. He does everything on the hockey side of the organization. Sherman does the accounting side of it.
Is this the case in a lot of NHL franchises? The GM just knows how to work the budget and one of the VPs is the one building a team?

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:44 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Bumpin' this.

I'd like to see Biller's responsibilities with this team expanded. In my opinion, he's still one of the most underrated, savvy guys associated with the extended hockey operations of this franchise. He's displayed that he works well with our scouting department, and prospects continue to mention his interest in their personal development as players. He really seems to thrive on the prospect side of things, but I'd be keen to know if he's looking to move up in the organization.

Just a thought, but Biller and Sakic could make for an intriguing tandem if given greater responsibility over personnel decisions. They're both smart, leave their egos at the table, and faithful to the franchise (so long as PL's running this ship, cronyism will always be a factor). I know we still have a glorified KSE concessions accountant holding the title of General Manager, but given the refreshing winds of change that started to blow today, it's at least worth thinking about.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Foppa2118

I was worried this meant he was fired too.

Agreed though, it's hard to tell what exactly he's responsible for in terms of success, but for those that have a good pulse on the team and follow it closely, it really does seem like he's really a bright spot for this organization's front office. A lot of little things have added up over the last few years to really be comfortable with him as part of the main group.

One of the few things Dater has said recently that makes a lot of sense is that Billington could be in line for some type of promotion, or his role expanded somehow. I can definitely see this happening, and possibly with an eye toward replacing Sherman if they don't have a good season next year.

Can we please though get a god**** full time goalie coach. It's so important to this team's success, and even a young guy like Varly has had a bit of consistency troubles, despite some reason to be shell shocked this year. Just spend some money and help the guy on a regular basis mentally and technically. Just be safe rather than sorry/cheap for a change. Please!!!

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:28 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I was worried this meant he was fired too.

Agreed though, it's hard to tell what exactly he's responsible for in terms of success, but for those that have a good pulse on the team and follow it closely, it really does seem like he's really a bright spot for this organization's front office. A lot of little things have added up over the last few years to really be comfortable with him as part of the main group.

One of the few things Dater has said recently that makes a lot of sense is that Billington could be in line for some type of promotion, or his role expanded somehow. I can definitely see this happening, and possibly with an eye toward replacing Sherman if they don't have a good season next year.

Can we please though get a god**** full time goalie coach. It's so important to this team's success, and even a young guy like Varly has had a bit of consistency troubles, despite some reason to be shell shocked this year. Just spend some money and help the guy on a regular basis mentally and technically. Just be safe rather than sorry/cheap for a change. Please!!!
Honestly, the fact we can't seem to bring in a full time goalie coach is embarrassing from fan's perspective. Especially when Varly has publicly stated how much he appreciated working with coaches in the KHL. I don't know if that reflects arrogance on the part of PL and Sherman, or is just a product of being owned by a Kroenke sports conglomerate that clearly doesn't pay too much attention to their hockey team.

Regarding Biller, I'm really pleased he's still here. Maybe he just thrives with young player development and is happy in his current role, but he's a guy that seems fairly candid with the media (when we hear from him at least) and clearly understands the game. That was evident going back to when he was a player. Just seems like a great guy to have in the organization (which is pretty much the opposite of how I felt about Eric Lacroix).

edit: if the old title of this thread is misleading (regarding his job status), mods are welcome to change it.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Nice bump. Have spoken with Duncan Siemens and he raves about Billington and the work he does. If Sherman does somehow get fired, guys like Pracey and Billington better not go with him.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:04 AM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

At the risk of looking uninformed what exactly does he do? I know he keeps tabs on prospects but anything more specific?

AdamCalderHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:27 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCalderHero View Post
At the risk of looking uninformed what exactly does he do? I know he keeps tabs on prospects but anything more specific?
Keeps tabs on them, travels to watch them all play, gives them instruction on what they can work on. Basically he's a middle man between our prospects and the Avalanche. They're in constant contact with each other.

Siemens told me yesterday he could probably find out who the next coach was going to be, just by calling Billington.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

He seems like a really good hockey guy, I really hope he and Pracey stay here for a long time.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Am I the only one that's not drinking this kool-aid?

The sure-thing guys have developed. The not-so-sure guys haven't really blossomed into anything at all. Pair that with the failure to really develop d-men and some players coming into their own once they leave the Avs....I'm just not impressed.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:34 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post

The sure-thing guys have developed. The not-so-sure guys haven't really blossomed into anything at all. Pair that with the failure to really develop d-men and some players coming into their own once they leave the Avs....I'm just not impressed.
"I am not impressed by your pa for mance Billington"

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:19 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post

Such as who?

The guys drafted in the later rounds usually take years to develop. These things take time.