HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

looking at the Gomez trade today...

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2010, 12:17 AM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by john the baptist View Post
They're such clear winners that they're in 9th while Montreal is in 7th.

Yeah and if Rangers had Gomez and didnt have Gaborik they would be 13th.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:21 AM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Yeah and if Rangers had Gomez and didnt have Gaborik they would be 13th.
They didn't have Gaborik last season and they finished in 7th.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Well, when you put it like that, it's obvious Gaborik is holding them back. They might as well just trade him.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:25 AM
ronnyweed

I havnt seen "montreal" and "win" in the same sentence since 1993...

and no, acquiring one of the worst contracts in the league will never be a good trade

Old
03-08-2010, 12:28 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Would you trade Gomez for Gaborik? If the answer is yes, then the rags win this one.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Zil

Quote:
Yes because clearly there can be no other reason for the disparity in record between this year's and last year's clubs other than the switch of Gaborik for Gomez. It's not like we're in a transitional year or something, what with two rookie d-men, a rookie center, the removal of guys like Naslund and Zherdev, and the cliff that Drury's play has fallen off this year. It's not like Avery and Redden appear to have gotten way worse too or anything. It's not like this team is in its first full year with an offensive-minded coach after several seasons of a safety first coach or anything like that. Truly, your analytical skills have no peer.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:30 AM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
Well, when you put it like that, it's obvious Gaborik is holding them back. They might as well just trade him.
I suppose. What I'm saying is it kind of doesn't make sense to declare them the clear cut winners when as of now, they statistically worse than they were last year.

If in a few years, McDonough wins consecutive Norris Trophies, while Gomez is registering 20 points a season, then yeah I think we can pick a winner there.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:31 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Habs Fan View Post
Off The Record

Landsberg: If Montreal doesn't make that trade to acquire Scott Gomez, are you a Montreal Canadien?

Cammalleri: I don't know.

It goes more in depth. It's on YouTube, go look it up.
Ok i watched it.

Landsberg : Why did you sign with the canadiens?
Cammalleri : ITS THE CANADIENS!

Cammalleri saying "i dont know" was just a part of his sentence saying gainey had to do something to make the team more offensive.
I can totally see how gomez influenced him to sign.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:32 AM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Yes because clearly there can be no other reason for the disparity in record between this year's and last year's clubs other than the switch of Gaborik for Gomez. It's not like we're in a transitional year or something, what with two rookie d-men, a rookie center, the removal of guys like Naslund and Zherdev, and the cliff that Drury's play has fallen off this year. It's not like Avery and Redden appear to have gotten way worse too or anything. It's not like this team is in its first full year with an offensive-minded coach after several seasons of a safety first coach or anything like that. Truly, your analytical skills have no peer.
See above.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Paul4587

Look at his cap hit. The Habs got fleeced.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:37 AM
MSG the place to be*

Play GM, Gomez is a free agent and his agent calls you and says my client will only accept a 5 year 7.3 million per year deal. Do you hang up or jump at this opportunity.

If you agree with the premise of trading for him, even if it costs no other assets. than you pretty much are saying that you would sign him to that deal. Shame on you. Demerit.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
I suppose. What I'm saying is it kind of doesn't make sense to declare them the clear cut winners when as of now, they statistically worse than they were last year.
Trades don't happen in a vacuum, teams can get the best out of a trade but it won't make them a better team if they lose out elsewhere.

New York lost a lot of secondary scoring in guys like Zherdev and Naslund, and other players like Drury and Redden have seriously regressed.

Montreal may have got the best player if we're talking strictly about the trade, but in the Cap Era having cap space is a huge asset in itself. The Gomez trade gave New York the cap space to sign Gaborik, which is more than a great trade for the Rangers. Getting anything out of the players they got back would just be gravy for them.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:46 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Are you seriously trying to suggest that the Rangers are worse off because of the addition of Marian Gaborik? Is this some sort of joke?

Old
03-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Zil

Quote:

If in a few years, McDonough wins consecutive Norris Trophies, while Gomez is registering 20 points a season, then yeah I think we can pick a winner there.
Macro does not equal micro. They're worse for a whole host of reasons I already listed, which have nothing to do with Gaborik. The production Gomez provides for his contract made keeping him absolutely unjustifiable for the Rangers when the Habs offered a get out of jail free card for him. Getting a nice prospect like McDonagh was gravy. Even if McDonagh never turns out this is a great trade for us because Gaborik is an elite player when he's on the ice and Gomez doesn't even come close to that. If McDonagh turns out to be the nice #2 or #3 defenseman it looks like he will become this trade just becomes that much more awesome for us.
Plus, if Gomez is so much of a factor, then why hasn't he pushed the Habs way up in the standings? They were an eighth seed last year and now with the addition of him (on top of Cammalleri and Gionta) they're in the seventh spot with an off-chance at nabbing the sixth. If we're generous to Gomez and give each of those three an equal share the credit for this marginal improvement, that means Gomez has helped push them up 2/3 of a playoff seed in the standings. All it cost the Habs was 7+ million in cap space for this year and the next four and one of their best prospects. Again, your cost-benefit analysis skills are truly stunning.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:51 AM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Are you seriously trying to suggest that the Rangers are worse off because of the addition of Marian Gaborik? Is this some sort of joke?
No. Probably has more to do with the fact that I forgot they had Zherdev and Naslund last year.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:53 AM
alexanderovechkin8

NYR won they got rid of a top 10 worst contract currently in the NHL

Old
03-08-2010, 12:55 AM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Macro does not equal micro. They're worse for a whole host of reasons I already listed, which have nothing to do with Gaborik. The production Gomez provides for his contract made keeping him absolutely unjustifiable for the Rangers when the Habs offered a get out of jail free card for him. Getting a nice prospect like McDonagh was gravy. Even if McDonagh never turns out this is a great trade for us because Gaborik is an elite player when he's on the ice and Gomez doesn't even come close to that. If McDonagh turns out to be the nice #2 or #3 defenseman it looks like he will become this trade just becomes that much more awesome for us.
Plus, if Gomez is so much of a factor, then why hasn't he pushed the Habs way up in the standings? They were an eighth seed last year and now with the addition of him (on top of Cammalleri and Gionta) they're in the seventh spot with an off-chance at nabbing the sixth. If we're generous to Gomez and give each of those three an equal share the credit for this marginal improvement, that means Gomez has helped push them up 2/3 of a playoff seed in the standings. All it cost the Habs was 7+ million in cap space for this year and the next four and one of their best prospects. Again, your cost-benefit analysis skills are truly stunning.
A thousand apologies sir. As you can see from my post above, I acknowledged my forgetting about factors like Zherdev and Naslund. Considering my ignorant state, my argument made perfect sense to me.

I hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive me.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:58 AM
LeMAD

Gomez is a good player with a salary that's preventing us to be a contender. Would we win the cup without Gomez? Probably not, but because of his salary we can be sure it won't happen.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:10 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
No, its actually about the loss of Scot Gomez, that is the sad part.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:13 AM
HSD19

It's so funny to see all the rangers fans hating on Gomez and his contract, yet if he was still on their team they would be defending him. Happens with each fan base I guess.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:23 AM
jamz

Gainey didn't have a better option in the summer... No better free agent centers (We certainly don't miss Koivu and his 12g 22a) and Gomez was the cheapest #1C on the market that could be had without giving important assets. He is overpaid, but the 2M/y he is making over his real value is not hurting this team as much as the money spent on Laraque, Spacek and Hamrlik. For the first time in years the Habs have a good top 6 in Cam-Pleks-AK46, Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta. I think the deal was good for Montreal and for NY as they both got what they needed, a 1st line C on one side, and a decent prospect and cap space on the other.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSD19 View Post
It's so funny to see all the rangers fans hating on Gomez and his contract, yet if he was still on their team they would be defending him. Happens with each fan base I guess.
Ummm... what? We hated Gomez when we had him because of his contract and we're happy to be rid of him. We hate on Drury for his contract too, and we certainly hate on Redden, both because of his contract and because he sucks. Our fans dislike the current state of our team so much that they staged a fire Sather rally before the game today.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSD19 View Post
The funny part is, that isn't even true.

Ranger fans were overjoyed when Gomez was traded, even before they signed Gaborik.

Also, you may have heard that many Rangers fans attended a "Fire Sather" rally recently, and they weren't looking to fire him because he traded that great Gomez contract...

Old
03-08-2010, 01:48 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
Also, you may have heard that many Rangers fans attended a "Fire Sather" rally recently, and they weren't looking to fire him because he traded that great Gomez contract...
It was because Gomez > Gabs ainec

Old
03-08-2010, 03:26 AM
dre2112

Montreal loses because they pay a combined $20 million to 3 of the smallest players ever that are expected to play the biggest roles on their team.

Closed Thread