HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Top 20 prospects, Spring 2010

Old
03-05-2010, 10:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Rangers Top 20 prospects, Spring 2010

Evgeny Grachev remains atop the Rangers Top 20 list.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:26 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
McDonagh below Gilroy and some dude leaving to Russia later this year?

Sorry, but that's retarded. He's easily a superior prospect to either of them.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Surprised to see Williams (and the upbeat outlook on him). Other than that, some quibbles, but no big disagreements.

EDIT: Good call, Johnathan, McDonagh's low ranking was my biggest "quibble".

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:51 PM
ThirdEye

Don't see the problem with Gilroy being ahead of McDonagh. No one knows if McDonagh can even play at the AHL level right now, whereas Gilroy has almost completed a whole season at the NHL level and has been steadily improving.

I think Del Zotto should be our top prospect though. I think I'd also put Stepan ahead of Grachev based on what he's done this season in the WJ's and college. Yeah it's no AHL, but I think his potential his higher

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

I think McDonagh is a tad overrated so I think his ranking is ok.

Not sure about Heikkinen since he's leaving after this year. Kveton would be in the top 15 if we weren't taking things like that as a factor.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:41 AM
msv957

Impressive list of prospects that Sather/Gordie Clark has put together. Just need to keep on developing the players down in the farm.

I feel the HF ranking of the list is somewhat skewed as MDZ and Gilroy are actually playing in the NHL almost all season now... Once these (2) players are off the list, the ranking should drop around to the middle of the pack in rankings

I am still not sure how Gilroy is on this list.. Isn't he 25 or 26 years old?

The future looks bright with young quality NHL players now and into the future....

Staal, Dubinsky, MDZ, AA, Callahan ..... Now in the NHL...

Kreider, Stepan, Sangs, McD, Grachev and etc..... Future in the NHL?? Right now, these players are just prospects but it seems they are developing nicely...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Impressive list of prospects that Sather/Gordie Clark has put together. Just need to keep on developing the players down in the farm.

I feel the HF ranking of the list is somewhat skewed as MDZ and Gilroy are actually playing in the NHL almost all season now... Once these (2) players are off the list, the ranking should drop around to the middle of the pack in rankings

I am still not sure how Gilroy is on this list.. Isn't he 25 or 26 years old?

The future looks bright with young quality NHL players now and into the future....

Staal, Dubinsky, MDZ, AA, Callahan ..... Now in the NHL...

Kreider, Stepan, Sangs, McD, Grachev and etc..... Future in the NHL?? Right now, these players are just prospects but it seems they are developing nicely...
But, you will potentially add a top 10 and a top 40 prospect after the upcoming draft, so, there may not be a drop-off at all.

Anyway, I agree with Jonathan...Gilroy and Heikkinen over McDonagh? Not really.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:51 AM
UAGoalieGuy

EDIT: Yeah, I don't get why McD is behind both Gilroy and Heikkanen. I mean I can see why Gilroy because he is playing at the NHL level, but Heikkanen is going to bolt after this season.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 03-06-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: fixed error mentioned
UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:19 AM
darko

I agree with Gilroy before McDonagh, not Heikkenen though.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:08 AM
msv957

Gilroy should not even be on this list.. He is what.. 25 or 26 years old??

Anyway... just wanted to get some of the HF members thoughts of the potential of these prospects.. Here are mine

Kreider- upside: Guerin/Eric Cole type player? or at worst a speedy 3rd line player in the NHL....

Stepan- ?? upside: second line pivot.. downside: gritty 3rd or 4th line NHL player

MDZ- top 2 defenseman.. 40-60 point defenseman? QB for the PP.

Sangs- ?? just a prospect.. really difficult to get a read on right now..

Grachev- future NHL Player top 6 forward or better? maybe a Victor Kozlov in his prime or he could bust and be a Oleg Kvasha type... who knows with these raw Russians... lol

McDonough (sp?) not really sure either... just a prospect right now... every NHL teams have these type of prospects

Am I missing anyone in particular? To be honest, no real stars that I see but I do see solid prospects in the pipeline.. But as someone mentioned, a potential top 10 pick this year could be star.. However, Who the hecks knows with prospects.....

Old
03-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Gilroy should not even be on this list.. He is what.. 25 or 26 years old??

Anyway... just wanted to get some of the HF members thoughts of the potential of these prospects.. Here are mine

Kreider- upside: Guerin/Eric Cole type player? or at worst a speedy 3rd line player in the NHL....

Stepan- ?? upside: second line pivot.. downside: gritty 3rd or 4th line NHL player

MDZ- top 2 defenseman.. 40-60 point defenseman? QB for the PP.

Sangs- ?? just a prospect.. really difficult to get a read on right now..

Grachev- future NHL Player top 6 forward or better? maybe a Victor Kozlov in his prime or he could bust and be a Oleg Kvasha type... who knows with these raw Russians... lol

McDonough (sp?) not really sure either... just a prospect right now... every NHL teams have these type of prospects

Am I missing anyone in particular? To be honest, no real stars that I see but I do see solid prospects in the pipeline.. But as someone mentioned, a potential top 10 pick this year could be star.. However, Who the hecks knows with prospects.....
Ughhhh. The draft is a crapshoot and we seem to find all the best crap.

If Grachev is the best we have to look to the future for it's dark days ahead.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 11:59 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Leslie, for some reason, has just not been a fan of McDonagh's. I've disagreed with her on almost everything she's ever written or said about the kid. He's still held in very high regard around the league with scouts and such. There's simply no reason for him to be this low.

Old
03-06-2010, 12:09 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Ughhhh. The draft is a crapshoot and we seem to find all the best crap.

If Grachev is the best we have to look to the future for it's dark days ahead.
Most of the blue-chip prospects in the entire league are already playing at the NHL level - just go through HF's top 50 list. I'd bet that Grachev is one of the better prospects that is eligible for these lists, especially if you take out the guys who are close to graduating (including MDZ and Gilroy for us).

Now I do tend to agree that our system as a whole is overrated. Its usually better to have a couple studs than it is to spread out the wealth.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Heikkenen is great. I'm hating the Rangers for blocking him with Redden and Rozsival.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:13 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I wouldn't be too worried about Grachev. He's 19 and this is his 1st pro year. He's learning. He has very similar stats to Thomas Tatar from Detroit and Akil Aliu from Chicao. Bigger league, faster and stronger players. Anisimov, Weisse, etc. learned much in their first year and improved, so big Grach will be ok.

Surprised how low Hagelin was on this list. I think he's gonna be a great John Madden Juri Lethonnen type 20G, 2 A guy if he pans out. What we were all hoping Korpi would be.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:23 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

I could definitely see Hagelin as a 22 point player, WPB That's about it, though.

Old
03-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Kreider is playing against a low level of oppenent? Are you kidding? Half of the players on hockey east teams were drafted at some point.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:33 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Kreider is playing against a low level of oppenent? Are you kidding? Half of the players on hockey east teams were drafted at some point.
And many of the others are older than the "traditional" college student.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:34 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

LOL. My bad, forgot that extra 0. I think 20+ G, 20+ A is realistic for him. Which is great for a late round draft pick.

Hopefully him and McDonaugh can make the 07 draft a decent one. Very sad about Cherry of course and LaFleur didn't really work out.

Old
03-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Heikkenen is great. I'm hating the Rangers for blocking him with Redden and Rozsival.
For a players so "great" you would think he would have beated Semenov out of camp for the job. Or you would think he would stick during the Redden injury. Or his benching, or Gilroy's demotion.

I hate to break it to you but Sangs, Heikkenen, Sauer, Potter all showed they are not NHL players this season. With the situation we had on D this year and not one of those guys could stick? For any length of time? Add in the couple of injuries and Gilroy demotion if they aren't good enough to be a 6th dman, where we get screwed because ALEXEI SEMENOV followed his wife to russia and didn't feel any of them could be as good as him speak volumes to me. Not to mention that Redden was injured and was scratched a few games and has just played terrible at times. There were plenty of chances to go around.

One thing i'm disapointed in with the deadline I was hoping to see Sauer dealt. Former 2nd rounder thats gonna turn into nothin.....I know he's injured right now(what else is new) but a pick would have been nice. Leslie feels Kundratek and McDonagh will be in Hartford next fall Sauer will just continue to fall down the depth chart.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:51 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Sauer hasn't shown anything this year since he's been hurt most of the year.

Old
03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Kundratek too high for me. Hagelin too low. Otherwise, it's okay.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:26 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about Grachev. He's 19 and this is his 1st pro year. He's learning. He has very similar stats to Thomas Tatar from Detroit and Akil Aliu from Chicao. Bigger league, faster and stronger players. Anisimov, Weisse, etc. learned much in their first year and improved, so big Grach will be ok..
If i am not mistaken, Is this his 2nd year after being drafted? if so, he has had 2 years of NA development since he has been drafted. Great junior year playing with great players I would think helped his development and this past year he did not really progress at the AHL level. I do agree, he is still young and etc... I just can't get a feel for what the upside is for Grachev... Is he going to be a legit top 6 like a Victor Kozlov in his prime or Antropov or can he bust like Oleg Kvasha... Who knows with prospects.

Old
03-06-2010, 01:30 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Potter's looked pretty decent at the NHL level. Can someone explain to me what makes him not a full-time NHLer as compared to the other guys? He seems like a serviceable third pair guy or a 7th at worst.

Sauer isn't a Torts guy. He does't have that offensive rush capabilities that Torts likes which is stupid. He's a fine stay-at-home but is always banged up. Injuries have hurt him big time.

This has been a transition year for Hartford. I think guys like Sauer, Byers, and DuPont have had their window of opportunities to become NHLers dwindle and next year will be the beginning of a different class with Kundratek, Klassen, maybe some of the collegiate guys like Hagelin, McD, and maybe Valatenko crosses the Atlantic.

Old
03-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
And many of the others are older than the "traditional" college student.
Seriously? The comment isn't even about hockey east..

Quote:
Drafted out of high school, as an excellent skater, with a high hockey IQ, Kreider had been playing against a fairly low level of opponent.
That's referring to the prep system.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote