HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grebeshkov Out "Several Weeks" (Lower Body) / Sulzer recalled / New Lines

Old
03-08-2010, 09:06 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
I see what your trying to do with the lines, but who do you match up with the other top line? Every line has a defensive liability. One line has to be capable of shutting down lines like the Sedins etc. I don't think any of these lines could do that.

Agree about Grebs. Nice to see a little heart there. May be more to him then we thought.
You can put out either the Arnott line or the Goc line. Yes, they have a defensive liability but why is it always about shutting the other team down. I understand the logic in it but why is it play not to lose than play to win? Put pressure on the other team, make them match up against us. At home, when we can get the last line change, I get it but when you're on the road, make the other team have to struggle or match up us against us. They're already going to try and do that and maybe lines with a defensive liability isn't so bad if two of the three can actually play both ways. If we're so worried about it, switch out Smithson or Boyd and play with them with Goc and Ward and you have a shutdown line. Then use Dumont with Tootoo and O'Reilly as the fourth line. It can be done and I think we end up with more fire power per line. That's just me though.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Well... crap.

I would look for:

Hamhuis-Suter
Klein-Bouillon
Sulzer-Franson

Patchwork, definitely, but capable. Barring anymore injuries (and the reuniting of the Klein-Hamhuis duo), I'm oddly optimistic about our ability to get through this.

I see this as a golden opportunity for Klein and Hamhuis to really redeem themselves for their poor play together for much of the season. If they can play well during this stretch while separated, it may also encourage Trotz to keep them separated when Grebeshkov and Weber return. After watching them yesterday, I'd like to see Klein and Bouillon stay together for the rest of the season.
I've been wondering why Trotz hasn't been rolling that pairing out more often. He paired them together earlier in the year, and they seemed to click fairly well. Hamhuis played with Franson. They didn't look bad, either.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:37 PM
jlsg

It's not play not to lose, it's sound strategy. Few years ago we didn't have that shutdown line, we rolled 3 strong scoring lines and won a lot of games 5-4. I don't think we have the scoring horsepower to cover. In order for this team to have any chance at beating the top teams we have to keep their top lines off the scoreboard.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Tapp

Hmmm, Weber and Grebeshkov out . . . Well, Mr. Suter remember that 31 minute gold medal game . . .

Tapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:16 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
It's not play not to lose, it's sound strategy. Few years ago we didn't have that shutdown line, we rolled 3 strong scoring lines and won a lot of games 5-4. I don't think we have the scoring horsepower to cover. In order for this team to have any chance at beating the top teams we have to keep their top lines off the scoreboard.
True but the problem therein lies that the other lines aren't shutting down the other 3 lines of our opponent. The other issue becomes when the other team has two very good lines, like Chicago and San Jose, another line is going to have to step up as well and be good defensively. Also, come playoff time, we need to have our best players on the ice as much as possible as most teams are rolling 3 lines. Do we really want Smithson on the ice that much? Something has to give there at some point. We are giving away scoring on one line by having him out there. How many times do Legwand and Ward do something good out there only to be stymied by the ineffectiveness of the offense of Smithson? I'm all for having a shutdown line if the other lines do their job as well but I just don't that strategy working too effectively right now.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 03:31 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Let's see...it's March, a couple of bad losses and now the injuries.

This happens every year, so what else is new?

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I am sorry, but placing Smithson on any line other than the fourth is just silly. I haven't got this move all season long. We should have never resigned Legwand if he is going to be nothing more than a third line center. We should have let him walk and just signed a player like Goc in the off-season. As it stands, we are wasting 5 million dollars on a guy not being adequately used.
Agreed. Smithson destroys any offense on his line.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
joshin29

sully dumont hornquist
wilson oreilly goc
legwand arnott erat
ward smithson tootoo/boyd

joshin29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshin29 View Post
sully dumont hornquist
wilson oreilly goc
legwand arnott erat
ward smithson tootoo/boyd
Few questions about your lineup...

Who is centering the Sullivan line? Why have three centers playing together on the Wilson line? I can buy the Arnott line, but they are the top line and why demote Ward to the fourth line when he is one of our most underrated players and a guy that gets it done on a nightly basis against all odds?

I like Trotz's lines a lot better...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Denis Grebeshkov brought his puck-moving flare to Nashville last week.

Unfortunately, the Edmonton Oilers' injury bug also followed him to the Predators.

The former Oilers defenceman got hit in the groin with a shot during the Predators' 4-2 loss to the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday. The blue-liner reportedly needed emergency surgery on one of his testicles after the game.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...765/story.html

Yikes! That's difficult to read...

Old
03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
The Preds are confirming a report in today’s Edmonton Journal that Grebeshkov will be out ``several weeks’’ after taking a shot to the groin in Sunday’s loss to Vancouver. Grebeshkov needed to undergo surgery on a testicle Sunday as well, but had been released from the hospital by Monday morning, when he stopped by Centennial Sportsplex. The Predators announced the situation as a lower-body injury, complying with Grebeshkov’s request for privacy on the sensitive injury.
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...several-weeks/

Sounds like Jim Matheson should have picked up a phone before releasing that info out of simple respect for the player...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 03-09-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Had to remove the @#!$*&^ asterisks the TNn puts into their blog posts...
Old
03-09-2010, 11:36 AM
jlsg

I've had more then one player tell me that a big reason for playing in the States, nevermind playing in a small market town like Nashville is they don't have to live in a fishbowl. One players wife told a story about press and fans trashing her because she was due with a baby during playoffs.

Old
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
joshin29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Few questions about your lineup...

Who is centering the Sullivan line? Why have three centers playing together on the Wilson line? I can buy the Arnott line, but they are the top line and why demote Ward to the fourth line when he is one of our most underrated players and a guy that gets it done on a nightly basis against all odds?

I like Trotz's lines a lot better...
Hornquist would center the sully line.

We have a team full of centers

I guarentee trotz won't keep those lines for the whole game, maybe not even the whole first period.

the Arnott line wouldn't be the top line, I don't think arnott would be on the first line of any other team. Love the guy but he has definitely lost a step or two and has been slowing down sully and dumont.

Ward would be on the fourth line because he is a grinder and should be on the checking line

Old
03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
PredsChik

Horny isn't a center and as much as I love JP, Arny's not the thing slowing him down.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
I want to throw up just reading that Grebs story.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
joshin29

hornquist might not be a center in the sense that he doesn't take faceoff's, but he essentially plays a center role posting up in front of the net. That's why I don't understand why hornquist and arnot are EVER out there on the same line. both are good finishers but don't do much other than inside the hash.

Old
03-09-2010, 03:28 PM
jlsg

Center is more about defensive responsibility then offensive. In the offensive zone forwards are more commonly labeled Forward 1, Forward 2 etc. You become F1 because you were first in the zone, F2 second etc. Sometimes F1 is strong side, F2 weak side etc. Again this is in general terms.

Old
03-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshin29 View Post
hornquist might not be a center in the sense that he doesn't take faceoff's, but he essentially plays a center role posting up in front of the net. That's why I don't understand why hornquist and arnot are EVER out there on the same line. both are good finishers but don't do much other than inside the hash.
OK, the center isn't confined to the middle of the ice...rather the game has evolved so that all three players are flowing all over the ice as a unit filling lanes and jumping into holes wherever necessary.

The LW - C - RW business is really only applicable for faceoffs and even then...has largely become irrelevant as coaches have designed all sorts of formations over the past few years that employ a variety of positioning.

There are three elements to a successful attack off the initial entry into the zone...

1) The puck should enter wide with speed. If you are carrying the puck down the middle of the ice you are either gonna run straight into the defense and be stopped or you're on a breakaway. Most defenses will give you room to the outside, take what they give you...

2) Someone must drive the net and try to take a defender with them. It's not always the middle lane that drives the net. It's not gonna be the puck-carrier from the wide lane obviously, but sometimes the situation calls for the middle lane to drive the net, other times it requires the weak-side to crash the net. Regardless, what you are trying to do here is two-fold. First, you are trying to create traffic to the net to harass the netminder, but more importantly you are trying to draw a defender to yourself creating a 2 on 1 situation with the two remaining attackers against the one unoccupied defender.

3) Third forward must provide high support. It's part of staggering your attack and creating a layer of depth. This forward must also remain in a position where he can turn around and backcheck when necessary to prevent an odd-man rush from heading the other way. Commonly when you see a quick counter-attack after an odd-man rush one way, it's because the third forward got caught deep and isn't in position to backcheck.

Hockey has evolved from the straight line, position-dominant game that it was throughout the late 70's - early 80's to the free-wheeling, read and react game it has become today. Which is why lines are constructed the way they are...

Sullivan and Erat are guys best in the first and third roles, while guys like Hornqvist and Goc are best in the second role, and yet Arnott is a guy that works best in the third role where he is able to come into the play, get open, and launch a shot.

Cycling is a whole other story that would make this post way too long...

Old
03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
jlsg

Showoff, I was trying to keep it simple

Old
03-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Center is more about defensive responsibility then offensive. In the offensive zone forwards are more commonly labeled Forward 1, Forward 2 etc. You become F1 because you were first in the zone, F2 second etc. Sometimes F1 is strong side, F2 weak side etc. Again this is in general terms.
Yeah, it probably would have been easier to explain using the numbering system...

Old
03-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
I want to throw up just reading that Grebs story.
I had the same thing happen a few years ago and that's exactly what made me think something was "bad wrong". It made me throw up ALOT!!! Grebs will be having an uncomfortable couple of weeks.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 05:33 PM
belle

I cannot believe Grebs played after what had to have been a mighty painful shot.

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...several-weeks/

Sounds like Jim Matheson should have picked up a phone before releasing that info out of simple respect for the player...
That's the same thing that happened to Nicklas Lidstrom last year during the playoffs.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:04 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones93 View Post
That's the same thing that happened to Nicklas Lidstrom last year during the playoffs.
I actually like the detail of the injury report. The ubiquitous "upper body - lower body" injury is annoying. Tell us what the injury is so we know how long the player will be out. Or, don't say anything at all. I'd love to know what is wrong with Weber. Does he have a hairline fracture, strained ligaments, hyper-extended thumb, etc...

Why does Grebeshkov's injury result in gory details, while Weber's injury is veiled in secrecy? It doesn't matter to me where Grebs had surgery. I just want to know how long he'll be out. Same goes for Weber, or any other injured player.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

After reading about the injury I crossed my legs and winced......a lot. Glad Poile made a trade for defenseman depth. Problem is with the surgery how much of it is PHYSICAL damage and how much of it is EMOTIONAL?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote