HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA March Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2010, 01:00 PM
  #1
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
NCAA March Madness

I see no thread nor anyone talking about March Madness so I thought I would get it going. Obviously im a diehard Temple fan so I'm very excited about the tournament coming up. Hopefully we are going to lock in around a 4-5 seed depending on what happens on the A-10 tourney.

Who do you guys root for?

Also, if I feel up to it, we'll have a bracket battle on here. Perhaps someone with more time on their hands will run it.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
  #2
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I see no thread nor anyone talking about March Madness so I thought I would get it going. Obviously im a diehard Temple fan so I'm very excited about the tournament coming up. Hopefully we are going to lock in around a 4-5 seed depending on what happens on the A-10 tourney.

Who do you guys root for?

Also, if I feel up to it, we'll have a bracket battle on here. Perhaps someone with more time on their hands will run it.
Rooting for Temple (Ranked 17 in the nation, **** YEAH!) but I'll pull for any Philly area team out of spite of Kentuckey, Kansas, Duke, Ohio ect.

Actually, I have always liked UNC basketball and Norte Dame and Terps football, but I don't follow much college ball. Always cheer for the Philly teams as well as Penn State also.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:15 PM
  #3
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seward, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
I'll be rooting for my alma mater, Pitt, although they probably won't get very far. This year just seems like a down year for college basketball. It seems like every team has its weaknesses. I'm not very excited about it this time compared to years past.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:24 PM
  #4
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
I'll be rooting for my alma mater, Pitt, although they probably won't get very far. This year just seems like a down year for college basketball. It seems like every team has its weaknesses. I'm not very excited about it this time compared to years past.
I think this is why im so excited about it this year. So many unexpected teams are going to be winning.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
  #5
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,388
vCash: 50
anyone but Duke.
cant stand the pukies

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
  #6
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,941
vCash: 500
I used to cheer for Duke and will always like to see them do well but for the last two years it's just been rooting for the teams I've had in my pools.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:07 PM
  #7
AlanHoff
Registered User
 
AlanHoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
I cheer for all the Philly teams still but since I've moved to Vegas I've been going to all the UNLV games since we have no pro teams out here and I will be rooting them on also

AlanHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:14 PM
  #8
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Let's go Nova.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:21 PM
  #9
duffy9748
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,297
vCash: 500
West Virginia, they will go far if they learn to make some freethrows.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:25 PM
  #10
Arthur*
U MAD?
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,195
vCash: 500
My Wildcats have been sputtering since the start of February. They're more talented and deeper than pretty much anyone other than Kansas and Kentucky, yet bad shot selection and the fact that they're letting other teams dictate the tempo has cost them something like 5 of their last 7 Big East games.

Hopefully Jay Wright can turn it around and we start getting hot, starting with the Big East tourney and into March Madness.

Arthur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:32 PM
  #11
AlanHoff
Registered User
 
AlanHoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
All of Nova's success depends on their bracket really...If they get matched up with a team with size they could be out in the 2nd round...If not, they have a shot at the Final 4 again...Its gonna be a really good tourney I think this year with no dominant teams out there

AlanHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:45 AM
  #12
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Terps.


Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 07:17 AM
  #13
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,504
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I root for Rutgers, which means nothing come tournament time. I'll be pulling for Temple but I think Purdue is going to win it all.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 07:57 AM
  #14
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I root for Rutgers, which means nothing come tournament time. I'll be pulling for Temple but I think Purdue is going to win it all.
Really?

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 09:21 AM
  #15
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ
 
WhiskeyBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
March Madness may reach its peak for me today, or in the next few days. I am a University of South Florida alumnus, and still live across from the campus. I made it to most of the home basketball games this year. If we can beat a terrible DePaul team at noon today, Georgetown later in the week, and make a good showing against 'Cuse, this could be the first NCAA tournament that I have a vested interest. Go Bulls!!

And, although my opinion is biased my homerism, I recommend watching USF play if you get the opportunity to see Dominique Jones do his thing. He's a stud.

WhiskeyBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
  #16
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,504
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Really?
Yeah man. They've got a really solid team. They'll probably wind up with a 1 or 2 seed, 3 at worst. They had only four losses and three of them were to top 20 teams and for the most part all of their wins were pretty convincing. Their only victory of less than three points was against Tennessee whom they beat by one. If I were a betting man, which I am, I'd put my money on them to win it all.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 11:32 AM
  #17
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah man. They've got a really solid team. They'll probably wind up with a 1 or 2 seed, 3 at worst. They had only four losses and three of them were to top 20 teams and for the most part all of their wins were pretty convincing. Their only victory of less than three points was against Tennessee whom they beat by one. If I were a betting man, which I am, I'd put my money on them to win it all.
I'd bet one of the #1 seeds gets it actually, but whatever.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:44 PM
  #18
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,504
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I'd bet one of the #1 seeds gets it actually, but whatever.
Well that's obviously the safer pick, but Purdue has an outside shot at #1 seed, but more realistically a #2 seed, with a chance at #3. I think it depends on what the bracket looks like for anyone really, so it's tough to make a real choice before the tournament is even set up. Obviously Kansas and Kentucky will get #1's. Syracuse is pretty much a lock for #1. The last #1 will be between Ohio State, Purdue, Duke, and I think WVU has an outside shot at it too if they win the Big East Tournament. Duke doesn't have too many quality wins and just lost to Maryland the other day. Purdue beat Ohio State and Ohio State beat Purdue and their schedule and record are similar so that is a toss up. If WVU can come out of the Big East tournament they would have a pretty convincing case for a top seed. We'll see on Sunday I suppose when the thing is set up. Either way I am rooting for Temple.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:02 PM
  #19
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Well that's obviously the safer pick, but Purdue has an outside shot at #1 seed, but more realistically a #2 seed, with a chance at #3. I think it depends on what the bracket looks like for anyone really, so it's tough to make a real choice before the tournament is even set up. Obviously Kansas and Kentucky will get #1's. Syracuse is pretty much a lock for #1. The last #1 will be between Ohio State, Purdue, Duke, and I think WVU has an outside shot at it too if they win the Big East Tournament. Duke doesn't have too many quality wins and just lost to Maryland the other day. Purdue beat Ohio State and Ohio State beat Purdue and their schedule and record are similar so that is a toss up. If WVU can come out of the Big East tournament they would have a pretty convincing case for a top seed. We'll see on Sunday I suppose when the thing is set up. Either way I am rooting for Temple.


It would be really nice for them to take care of the A-10 tourney and be the champs. Its rarely ever won by the 1 seed in the tourney however. They could possible get a 3 seed if they do it.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:26 AM
  #20
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I root for Rutgers, which means nothing come tournament time. I'll be pulling for Temple but I think Purdue is going to win it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah man. They've got a really solid team. They'll probably wind up with a 1 or 2 seed, 3 at worst. They had only four losses and three of them were to top 20 teams and for the most part all of their wins were pretty convincing. Their only victory of less than three points was against Tennessee whom they beat by one. If I were a betting man, which I am, I'd put my money on them to win it all.
Not without Robbie Hummel, they won't (he's done for the year with a torn ACL that he suffered on 2/24). You don't lose one of your top scorers and probably best overall player (either him or E'Twaun Moore) this late in the season and win the NCAA tournament. It's just not going to happen for the Boilermakers. I'm really excited for this year's tournament -- it's totally wide open. I still think one of Kansas or Kentucky will win it all, but I'm anticipating a lot of upsets (already have Murray State beating whoever they play in the first round). Should be fun, as always.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:20 AM
  #21
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
I used to love March Madness when I was young and had no responsibilities. The NCAA Tournament gives me nightmares. And if they go to 96 teams, it will truly s*&k.
Maybe I'd just enjoy it more if they shot whoever came up with the concept of One Shining Moment.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 07:43 AM
  #22
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
I used to love March Madness when I was young and had no responsibilities. The NCAA Tournament gives me nightmares. And if they go to 96 teams, it will truly s*&k.
Maybe I'd just enjoy it more if they shot whoever came up with the concept of One Shining Moment.
Ya, it is tough to follow the games now.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:04 AM
  #23
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,504
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Not without Robbie Hummel, they won't (he's done for the year with a torn ACL that he suffered on 2/24). You don't lose one of your top scorers and probably best overall player (either him or E'Twaun Moore) this late in the season and win the NCAA tournament. It's just not going to happen for the Boilermakers. I'm really excited for this year's tournament -- it's totally wide open. I still think one of Kansas or Kentucky will win it all, but I'm anticipating a lot of upsets (already have Murray State beating whoever they play in the first round). Should be fun, as always.
Damn didn't realize he was done for the year. I retract my prediction and will make a new one when the brackets are released on Sunday.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
  #24
Arthur*
U MAD?
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,195
vCash: 500
Georgetown is giving Syracuse a great game here. I love the fact that the Orange have to play the strongest and most physical team in the conference in the quarters(and Boeheim never rolls a rotation of more than 6 or 7 guys), while Nova shouldn't have any problem with Marquette. Hopefully they get worn out so we can knock them off in the semis tomorrow.

Arthur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:54 AM
  #25
Cleary84
Registered User
 
Cleary84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 500
I'm rooting for Nova and Temple. Only really watch NCAA basketball during March or if it's on at the gym. So I'm not really an expert.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.