HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th line. Love it? Hate it?

Old
03-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Okay, first of all, you said that the 4th line is supposed to be kids who don't have top end talent. Both Prust and Boyle are younger than Orr/Betts/Sjostrom and you say a few lines down that Boyle has limited upside. How is having limited upside different from not having top end talent? Also, they are most definitely hitting and keeping pressure in the zone, more so than any other line on this team.

Secondly, Voros and Brash were going to bring in anybody? Am I missing something here? I don't see how or why anyone would give us anything for either of those guys, let alone a top 6 offensive player or a top 4 D man.

At the end of the day, this line isn't making or breaking the team, but I think that they are a definite upgrade over last years fourth. Everyone seems to be making much, much more of Betts than is warranted. As someone stated a few posts back, every team but the Flyers passed on the guy and even they made him tryout. The "we should know our players best" argument doesn't hold much water with me, I agree that we should, but letting Betts go didn't ruin this team by any means, we're much in the same place as we were last year and our penalty kill is still one of the best in the league. We knew him - we knew he wasn't irreplaceable or really worth holding on to and we were right.
People like to think that every player has some value and if you add enough up you can get a decent player.

IE:Betts(1) + Orr(.5) + 3rd(1) = Heatley (12)

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
People like to think that every player has some value and if you add enough up you can get a decent player.

IE:Betts(1) + Orr(.5) + 3rd(1) = Heatley (12)
Pretty sure WPB meant that the money spent on Brashear ($1.4) and Voros ($1) could have been better allocated towards a player like Tanguay ($2.5) or Seidenberg ($2.25). Which I agree with.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Pretty sure WPB meant that the money spent on Brashear ($1.4) and Voros ($1) could have been better allocated towards a player like Tanguay ($2.5) or Seidenberg ($2.25). Which I agree with.
Oh. Then i'm an ******* . . I agree too!

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 09:53 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Commenting on the fourth line of this team is like commenting on the radio in a car with no doors, no tires and no engine at that point, does it really matter?

For years people wanted to be tougher. This line is that. With the flaws this team has, they don't really make a difference.
Pretty much.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I really couldn't care less either way. There are so many other problems that this team has, it really doesn't matter much about the 4th line. They really haven't hurt the team, but they haven't really helped either. And, with the exception of Boyle--who can at least kill penalties--they have such a limited skill set that they are even less versatile than the other 4th lines the organization has put together since the lockout.

In fact, the only thing they really show is how poorly this team has been constructed. Especially given the fact that Voros and Brashear still have another left on their respective contracts.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Kind of Blue

Prust chipping in with a goal, Shelley did some serious scrapping. Good job boys.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
once again the 4th line looks great. Shelley with a fight his role i might add. Prust and Boyle forechecking like mad and results in a goal.

Dagoon44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:50 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
once again the 4th line looks great. Shelley with a fight his role i might add. Prust and Boyle forechecking like mad and results in a goal.
It's just too bad the rest of the team can't play like these guys...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote