HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

RBK Pumps

Old
02-25-2010, 10:48 AM
MNWild9

vCash: 500
RBK Pumps

So I have been looking at some RBK Pumps i'm woundering are they really worth it. Anyone wear them now or have tried them? If so do the pumps hold up or should I go with a different skate?

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:59 AM
TinofGrizz

Don't buy the skate just for the pump, it is a nice addition to my 9ks but do not make them any better than my CCM 10.0 SE skates. I have had them for a little over a year now and have had no issues with the pump. I don't push all that much weight into them tho I am about 160 pounds but do skate 3-4 nights a week and have multiple weekend tourneys a year.

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Are you from Minnesota? What part of the state if so? I have a good shop recommendation if you can live around the cities.

Reeboks have kind of a wider heel. The pump can fill up a bit of room back there, but it's nothing like having a skate that fits out of the box.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
MNWild9

its just that my odd skates fell apart and i like RBK. Thats why i'm looking at the pump i just want to know if they hold up or not. I don't want to go for a bottom line pair of skates. I play 4 nights a week.

Also I live in North Dakota.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Skraut

Have had a pair of 4k pumps for about a year, learned to skate in them, and now play hockey 2-3 nights a week in them. At 260 lbs, everybody here told me I'd weaken them to the point of being unusable within a few months, but they're still going strong and holding up well. I'm probably not doing as extreme maneuvers in them as some people would be, but they're doing me well.

Was warned by my LHS not to inflate the pumps for a day or so after baking. Apparently they had several people blow out the pumps trying to inflate them while hot. Don't know if that is still the case, but probably not a bad idea.

I do like that I can go out, and warm up, and make a skate just a touch tighter by adding a bit more air. Just be aware, I was over inflating them quite a bit at first, and thinking the pain I was feeling was just not broken in skates, when it was poor circulation from being too tight.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Do you have any hockey shops in the area?

Cheap skates definitely fall apart quickly. I bought some $80 Bauers that barely lasted six months, while my $250 Bauers lasted two years and were still in great shape when I sold them.

Best bang for the buck for each brand is the model down from the top, usually in the $250-300 range.

Old
02-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Have had a pair of 4k pumps for about a year, learned to skate in them, and now play hockey 2-3 nights a week in them. At 260 lbs, everybody here told me I'd weaken them to the point of being unusable within a few months, but they're still going strong and holding up well. I'm probably not doing as extreme maneuvers in them as some people would be, but they're doing me well.

Was warned by my LHS not to inflate the pumps for a day or so after baking. Apparently they had several people blow out the pumps trying to inflate them while hot. Don't know if that is still the case, but probably not a bad idea.

I do like that I can go out, and warm up, and make a skate just a touch tighter by adding a bit more air. Just be aware, I was over inflating them quite a bit at first, and thinking the pain I was feeling was just not broken in skates, when it was poor circulation from being too tight.
I was interested in this part of your comment, I would like a skate with the pump solely for the slight irritation of having to retighten my skate once I get the boot warm from playing. Every game is the same thing, take a couple of shifts and then my skates feel the need to be tightened ONLY on the ankle after i get warmed up.

I think this pump thing would serve me well and since you are a big guy like I am can read that you say the pump holds up well even after overdoing it.

I've heard good things in here about the RBK line and may try them if I see a good deal on some. I have two pair of bauer skates now and am the type who likes to have extra gear.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I love them because of my foot shape/size. I have really small feet (size 5 skates) and a really narrow/thin ankle and heel.
My foot would constantly slide around in the boot and cause big blisters, but with the pump I don't have that issue at all.
It makes my life so much easier.

02-25-2010, 11:41 AM
CanadaBacon

My 70AG's are holding up just fine, and they have for a few years, mind you this is the first season i have used them full time, but almost a full season and they are in top shape.

I dont think it is right to generalize all low end skates as "cheap" and will "fall apart quickly"

Especially someone who is newer to the game, low end skates will work just fine and last just fine if you take care of them.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not if the outsoles are made of rubbery plastic and the boot can be squashed together by one hand.

Old
02-25-2010, 12:16 PM
CanadaBacon

There is a big difference between low end skates that big name manufactures put out and no name-your an idiot if you buy these skates-skates

Old
02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I was interested in this part of your comment, I would like a skate with the pump solely for the slight irritation of having to retighten my skate once I get the boot warm from playing. Every game is the same thing, take a couple of shifts and then my skates feel the need to be tightened ONLY on the ankle after i get warmed up.

I think this pump thing would serve me well and since you are a big guy like I am can read that you say the pump holds up well even after overdoing it.

I've heard good things in here about the RBK line and may try them if I see a good deal on some. I have two pair of bauer skates now and am the type who likes to have extra gear.
Yeah it's minor, but it can be used that way. I tighten them up pretty well, put about a half dozen pumps into each one, then after a couple laps can add a bit more if things losen up a bit.

The pump is in the upper ankle however, and won't solve everything. I do have to re-tie occasionally, especially if I was too lose on the lower part of f the ankle. I seem to do tight toes, relatively lose instep, tight heel, tight upper, sometimes I don't get enough in the heel and still have to re-tighten. But it also has come in handy for those times when I've over tightened, and over inflated, just a quick press on the release letting a tiny bit of air out and blood makes it back to the foot

I'm still a bit hesitant on "Recommending" any equipment since I'm still new to the sport, playing in a D league, and not putting them through all the same rigors most other people on these boards would, and don't have a long history of other skates to compare them to. But they've done right by me.

Last edited by Skraut: 02-25-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

The pumps are there more for heel lock than anything, not to make the skate feel tighter. I will admit I have been able to wear my upper eyelets a little loser but that's 'cause I was relying solely on lace tightening to lock my heel in my one 95s.

Get a good set of waxed laces, combine that with the pump, and you should feel comfy for a decent period of time.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
There is a big difference between low end skates that big name manufactures put out and no name-your an idiot if you buy these skates-skates
The Bauer Vapor VIII are the ones I had that died after a few months because the outsole would twist when I leaned on any edge.

The mid-level stuff in the $175-200 range isn't bad...usually they have some kind of composite outsole, adequate stiffness for players under 175 pounds, pro-level holder/runner, that's really the basic stuff. Anything under that really isn't built for skating more than a few times a season.

Old
02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post

Get a good set of waxed laces, combine that with the pump, and you should feel comfy for a decent period of time.
Properly fitted skates and a decent tying job should keep your feet comfy all game.

Old
02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Tretiak 20

vCash: 2240
I am still using the original first batch CCM goalie skates with the Reebok pumps from like 15 years ago and they still work great. I have tried some of the newer skates and none of them feel as good as my old CCMs.

Tretiak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:38 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The Bauer Vapor VIII are the ones I had that died after a few months because the outsole would twist when I leaned on any edge.

I dont doubt that, doesnt mean that will happen to everyone who owns those skates. It could have been a defect in the skate. You could have a really hard skating style etc etc

Thats why i said you cant generalize all low end skates based on a personal example that may or may not have had anything to do with the skate "tier" itself. I had a pair of 120ag's that lasted maybe just over a month before the top eyelet ripped out. They are far from cheap skates (price and construction) in general.

I could generalize all low end skates by saying that my 70ag's are in top notch condition after almost a full season and probably could get a season or two more out of them but that would be a bit much.

Old
02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
LarryO

I had some 5k pumps. After a year and a half, one pump started leaking. The skate would be totally deflated after 15 minutes. No more heel lock. Never again will I risk buying a pump skate.

If you need the pump to lock in your heel, you risk ending up with a useless skate after the very short warranty expires. If the skate fits well without inflating the pump, then you have the unnecessary extra weight of the unused pump/bladder system in your skate.

I switched to Bauer Flexlites and have never been happier. Just my 2 cents.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I had some 5k pumps. After a year and a half, one pump started leaking. The skate would be totally deflated after 15 minutes. No more heel lock. Never again will I risk buying a pump skate.

If you need the pump to lock in your heel, you risk ending up with a useless skate after the very short warranty expires. If the skate fits well without inflating the pump, then you have the unnecessary extra weight of the unused pump/bladder system in your skate.

Interesting commentary, I'll file it away along with the good reviews if and when I do decide to get some someday.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:06 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

I have the RBK 5k and love them, reebok makes one of the only skates that fits my feet, super comfy and no foot pains, can skate for 3 hours with these things with no troubles.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post

Odd, I've had mine for...4 years and never had a problem and I play 5+ times a week. Though mine are 9ks.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:21 AM
HowToHockey

I had a pair of pumps a few years back, I think they were tacks though (can't remember) I loved them, wore them until I outgrew them, and then sold them for the same price I paid for them!

As long as they fit right, you will probably do fine in them

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Pierre Gotye

I have some 2007 7k's and they do work.

However, when I put my skates on sometimes, I don't mess with them too much.

I think in the 9k and 11K they're a bit better.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
I have the RBK 5k and love them, reebok makes one of the only skates that fits my feet, super comfy and no foot pains, can skate for 3 hours with these things with no troubles.
I'd have to agree. I have tried on Bauer's and CCM's and they didn't feel as comfy as the Reebok's do. I'm considering a pair of 11k's in the future later this year.

When buying skates, don't worry about looks or gimmicks. Skates for most of us will usually be a pretty steep purchase...you'll probably be getting something between $250-600. Buy what feels most comfortable to you.

With that said, I do like Reebok's lacelock feature, no other manufacturer offers it.

I can't see plopping down $700 on skates, but I bet the Bauer TotalOne skates will be pretty sweet!

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:28 PM
hockeyjoe_16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretiak 20 View Post
I am still using the original first batch CCM goalie skates with the Reebok pumps from like 15 years ago and they still work great. I have tried some of the newer skates and none of them feel as good as my old CCMs.
I know the feeling. I had a set of regular CCM pumps for 8 or 9 years. I'd kill somebody for another set. I broke the blade and when they replaced the holder they screwed up the sole and a few years later it just fell apart.

hockeyjoe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote