HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

stick n puck : first time in FOREVER

Old
01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
stick n puck : first time in FOREVER

any advice?

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:18 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

vCash: 500
The puck goes into the net.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:21 PM
qwertysac

have fun?

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:37 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Start a fight.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:37 PM
FloPoErich

Don't worry about looking like fool, have fun and work on your basics until you get the hang of it! (At least that's what everyone tells me, I haven't had one yet)

FloPoErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:38 PM
SouthpawTRK

Have a great time out there! I would probably make sure to bring a few pucks with you, just in case everyone else decides to count on the other players to do so. I would also bring a bottle of water, so that you can stay hydrated. Lastly, if you decide that you might want to play some shinny, you might want to bring two different colored jerseys. Once again, have a fun time at stick and puck.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:54 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
skate, shoot, make friends.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:06 PM
noobman

Watch out for kids... seriously!

They can be dangerous when you're a beginner player. They'll skate around the ice aimlessly (not keeping to their space) and are usually completely oblivious to your presence on the ice.

When they make a random sharp turn and cut in front of you, then get bowled over by you (because you couldn't stop in time) and start crying... you'll look and feel awful. Besides, you could hurt yourself too I've had the odd run-in of a kid cutting right in front of me at random.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Badger36

Just go, do your best and have fun. Chances are, especially if there are a bunch of kids there, you will be far from being the best player there.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:55 PM
FloPoErich

What rink did you go to? I'm from STL myself.

FloPoErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:28 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post

They can be dangerous when you're a beginner player. They'll skate around the ice aimlessly (not keeping to their space) and are usually completely oblivious to your presence on the ice.

When they make a random sharp turn and cut in front of you, then get bowled over by you (because you couldn't stop in time) and start crying... you'll look and feel awful. Besides, you could hurt yourself too I've had the odd run-in of a kid cutting right in front of me at random.
Funny you should mention that.

I had a kid fly across the blue line and wipeout slide right under me from the side as I was working on carrying the puck. Had to do a sidewards dive to not step on him at full speed with my blades.

Kid, you had no idea you were to an ambulance trip.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:37 AM
blueberrydanish

Skate hard man. I find stick n pucks are very helpful in building up my stamina. Skate hard pretty much entire time going full or half speed, practicing shots from all over the ice on different angles/balance.

Work on putting the puck where you want it, work on putting more power into your shot.

If you find someone willing toss the puck around some for a little passing practice.

Most of all enjoy it, I get out to about 1 maybe 2 sticknpucks a week and it has greatly benefited me in becoming a better player.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:39 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Skate hard man. I find stick n pucks are very helpful in building up my stamina. Skate hard pretty much entire time going full or half speed, practicing shots from all over the ice on different angles/balance.

Work on putting the puck where you want it, work on putting more power into your shot.

If you find someone willing toss the puck around some for a little passing practice.

Most of all enjoy it, I get out to about 1 maybe 2 sticknpucks a week and it has greatly benefited me in becoming a better player.
The nice thing about being in school is that you could schedule late classes and go to stick and puck during the day.

For a while I was at stick and puck 3-4 times a week! Now I'm at work and I'm lucky to get any ice time beyond my Wednesday league, Saturday pick up, and Sunday shinny.

Old
01-24-2010, 04:19 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

Quote:
The nice thing about being in school is that you could schedule late classes and go to stick and puck during the day.

For a while I was at stick and puck 3-4 times a week! Now I'm at work and I'm lucky to get any ice time beyond my Wednesday league, Saturday pick up, and Sunday shinny.
thats what i do. im in a cohort program, and our schedule works out with a couple of good breaks. its turned into a weekly event. a bunch of guys from the program head out for stick and puck, then to the bar, then to class.

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:03 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

I'm going to my first Stick 'N' Puck session tomorrow.
Should I wear my full gear? Or will I feel silly while others are only wearing the minimum?

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 03:03 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Should I wear my full gear? Or will I feel silly while others are only wearing the minimum?
Yeah, you will look a bit funny. It is called stick and puck for a reason

Go out, practice some things you wouldn't normally do in a game, and pass a lot, no one likes a puck hog!

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 03:25 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Depends on your skating ability, really. I mean if you're solid on your skates and just have to worry about handling the puck, well then you don't need full gear. But if you're not a good skater then handling, passing and shooting will put you in situations where you'll end up on your back end more often then not. You can still go out with minimum gear, but it will hurt...

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Johan Santana

Quote:
the rink at my college and back home, people come out fully dressed because sometimes the session turns into a little scrimmage and for players that are starting anew, you are going to want that extra protection

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
You might want to call the rink and see what the requirements are for protective equipment.

At the ice center that I go to, you are required to have full gear and offer it virtually 7 days a week up to 2 times per day. There is another ice center near my house that does not require full gear, but only offers stick and puck one day a week.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Thanks for all the help, guys! I think I am going to wear everything, mainly to get used to it, but also because I am not a great skater so I will want all the protection I can get! I will try not to worry about what other people think, hahah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
You might want to call the rink and see what the requirements are for protective equipment.

At the ice center that I go to, you are required to have full gear and offer it virtually 7 days a week up to 2 times per day. There is another ice center near my house that does not require full gear, but only offers stick and puck one day a week.
The website says you need a helmet, gloves, and shinguards at the least, but that kids 16-18 have to have full gear. I'm over 18 but I don't look it so I won't feel stupid if the other kids that age are wearing full gear.

Also, you're lucky there's one that has it 7 days a week/2 times a day. Ours has it once a week but it's always when I'm normally in class. This is my Spring Break which is the only reason I can go.

Old
03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
meanolthing

Quote:

Truth. Those freaking mites are fearless and oblivious, often in a bad way. Last time I went, one of my slappers deflected off the crossbar and hit a kid square in the facemask.

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
noobman

Quote:
I see a lot of guys going in their full gear. Some of the girls wear full gear, others will just come out in jeans and a sweater. It's a healthy mix of everything.

It really depends what you're doing. If I just want to have fun and clown around, I will go minimalistic. If I want to do skating drills or work on other aspects of my game, I'll go in full gear. I usually plan on taking a few spills since I'm pushing myself to do new things.

I find it easier to just wear full gear b/c you don't have to worry about what to wear in order to stay warm without overheating, bringing seven different items of clothing, or excessive laundry on the weekends (sweat soaks through quickly!) If

Old
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Well I went! I was really nervous because I didn't know what to expect and I was going by myself. There were about 25 people there (including 4 goalies) and all but 2-3 of them had full gear, so that wasn't the embarrassing part at all. I was the worst player there and at first, it seemed like everyone was really good. But then I met an older guy, probably in his 40s, who sucked just as bad as I did. We shot the puck to each other for about 45 minutes straight and I actually did feel a lot of improvement by the end.

Our sportplex's website says no games are allowed during Stick 'N' Puck but they started a little scrimmage down at one end anyway. I avoided that though, I didn't even want to shoot at the goalies, hahah. I took shots at the empty nets but didn't want to embarrass myself with the goalie. It was a great experience though, I'll definitely go to more of them. Everyone was nice even though I was awful.

Also, I was the only girl. That felt kind of cool.

Old
03-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Johan Santana

Quote:
Well I went! I was really nervous because I didn't know what to expect and I was going by myself. There were about 25 people there (including 4 goalies) and all but 2-3 of them had full gear, so that wasn't the embarrassing part at all. I was the worst player there and at first, it seemed like everyone was really good. But then I met an older guy, probably in his 40s, who sucked just as bad as I did. We shot the puck to each other for about 45 minutes straight and I actually did feel a lot of improvement by the end.

Our sportplex's website says no games are allowed during Stick 'N' Puck but they started a little scrimmage down at one end anyway. I avoided that though, I didn't even want to shoot at the goalies, hahah. I took shots at the empty nets but didn't want to embarrass myself with the goalie. It was a great experience though, I'll definitely go to more of them. Everyone was nice even though I was awful.

Also, I was the only girl. That felt kind of cool.
the guys will all be really nice to you then, i would not worry. some may hit on you as well, which ive seen at my local stick n puck

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
any advice?
For me, it's a great stress relieve and very addicting. It feels so good to take shot after shot after shot, etc. Even better when there's few people on the ice to get in your way.

It's great to pick your spots, clank them off the posts, crossbar, etc. Those sounds are so awesome. Just typing it now and talking about it makes me wish I was doing it.

Also, bring several pucks, better if their marked in some kind of way with an advertisement, team logo, etc. because people (especially kids) will take your pucks, either because they don't realize or don't care that it's BYOP.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote