HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Under the radar. Could this be the year?

Old
03-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Obsessed Sharks Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Obsessed Sharks Fan
Under the radar. Could this be the year?

Haven't posted for a while so here's a little snippet of my thoughts:

The past few seasons, all the talk has been about the Sharks. Every media pundit was picking the sharks at some point before and during the season. Last year, the sharks were un-freaking-stoppable the first half of the year and then their game fizzled off dramatically. This year the sharks have been much more consistent--a better team--yet they haven't been the talk of the town.

Nabokov is possibly having his best year since he was a rookie? Had it not been for a 'vockin quick miller time' (disclaimer: heh im' buzzin right now off mgd's) nabby could be a vezina nominee. (miller is a pleasure to watch btw.. U-S-A!). But even I didn't really notice until I take a look at his save pct. Normally he gets the wins but has a subpar percentage relative to the tops in the league. But he's had far fewer five hole blunders than in years past.

It's a breath of fresh air not having to hear about how the sharks are going to be in the finals and if they aren't it's a complete failure. The olympics, the capitals, and tired story of the Sharks playoff failures have let the sharks just play hockey without having to hear about the pressure they are under.

And I got two words for everyone regarding the sharks in the playoffs: Dany Heatley. I don't know another player I trust more to put the puck in the back of the net on the big stage. If he can do it in the SC playoffs in the past, cont. to do it in the olympics, he is sure to be trusted this year. Hopefully seto can be a nice surprise this year. He has flashes of brilliance "when he's hitting" (and scoring).

Lastly, LET'S GO DETROIT! I am totally feeling a Nashville first round and I am pretty sure detroit can pass them up giving nash the 8th seed.

Obsessed Sharks Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
this years sharks team is getting a lot of media picks also, maybe not as high as last year, but a lot have picked the sharks as a top 3 contender for the cup this year.

do they have there suspicions that the sharks can win, yes they do. but the same can be said about washington (goalie), chicago (goalie), detroit (goalie)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Kitten Mittons

I disapprove of this thread.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Yeah, uh-huh ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
dumpnchase

Bad Mojo

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:27 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Eh, could be.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Obsessed Sharks Fan

Send a message via AIM to Obsessed Sharks Fan
little do you guys know, i'm just about to start production of the film "how OSF got his mojo back" only i'm having wordds with my distributors who want the film to be calledkeep wanting to call it "groove back"!! NO i say, NO!!!!

ok fine. kill the thread.

Obsessed Sharks Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
icandobetter

Here is how the real sharks' playoff will end.

only two people showed up - Marleau and Boyle

Nabby's five hole + Vlasic out muscled by every power forward + no show joe + no show second line + weak defense = 2nd round loss

just like every year.

icandobetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:43 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by icandobetter View Post

Nabby's five hole + Vlasic out muscled by every power forward + no show joe + no show second line + weak defense = 2nd round loss

just like every year.
+ Todd secretly telling DET how to beat us = LOL 2nd round.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:53 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:

just like every year.
Either that, or my fear:

The Sharks (#1 seed and President's Cup Winner [yes I think they can catch the caps]) go on a crazy run. Like the Pens a few years ago, they go up 3-0 in all their first three series. All those ends in sweeps or five games. The Sharks are on a tear.

In the East, Washington comes out but has several gruesome series.

Everyone picks the Sharks to run over the Caps the way they ran over everyone else. We fans know better because anytime the Sharks are favored, it's a disaster.

Sharks dominate the first two and go up 2-0. The Caps find second life and defend home ice to tie the series at 2.

The Sharks put up a stinker at home in game 5, going down 3-2 headed back to DC.

In Game 6, the Sharks play the game of their lives and win a 2-0 decision.

Back to game 7, goals back and forth leave the game tied at 2 after 2. At the ten minute mark Manny Malhotra cashes in a rebound to put the Sharks up 3-2 and the crowd is buzzing.

Five minutes later Nabokov with his notoriously poor puck handling misplays a puck behind the net (how many times have we seen that and it never seems to get better??) and Semin cashes in a wide empty net to tie the game at 3.

The Sharks come with a flurry in the last two minutes, crowd goes nuts, but no goals.

5 minutes into OT Matt Bradley hooks Marleau on what would have been a great scoring chance giving the Sharks a PP. On that PP the crowd is ballistic with energy. Thornton wins the draw and put on a good barrage for 20 seconds with the best chances ever. Sharks fans can see the Cup. We can taste it.

Caps get the clear and with no change Boyle brings the puck up...except that he does that inexcusable blind drop pass to Thornton at center ice that he likes to do on the power play, which Thornton isn't ready for, but Ovie is, jumps on it, takes in for a breakaway and takes Nabby's five hole (What else?). Caps win the Cup in OT at HP. The whole offseason and years and years later fans wonder what could have been. Many fans of course are too scared to ask why bad things we've seen over and over again in the season weren't fixed for the playoffs.

Long way of saying that I think if anything the Sharks could go on a deep run but things that should be addressed (but aren't) will come back and kill them in the end. I just can't help but think Nabby's ridicuously poor play behind the net and that laughable blind back pass by Boyle on the PP will be their downfall (if it is truly their year and they go deep).

Last edited by ChompChomp: 03-09-2010 at 12:00 AM.
ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Either that, or my fear:

The Sharks (#1 seed and President's Cup Winner [yes I think they can catch the caps]) go on a crazy run. Like the Pens a few years ago, they go up 3-0 in all their first three series. All those ends in sweeps or five games. The Sharks are on a tear.

In the East, Washington comes out but has several gruesome series.

Everyone picks the Sharks to run over the Caps the way they ran over everyone else. We fans know better because anytime the Sharks are favored, it's a disaster.

Sharks dominate the first two and go up 2-0. The Caps find second life and defend home ice to tie the series at 2.

The Sharks put up a stinker at home in game 5, going down 3-2 headed back to DC.

In Game 6, the Sharks play the game of their lives and win a 2-0 decision.

Back to game 7, goals back and forth leave the game tied at 2 after 2. At the ten minute mark Manny Malhotra cashes in a rebound to put the Sharks up 3-2 and the crowd is buzzing.

Five minutes later Nabokov with his notoriously poor puck handling misplays a puck behind the net (how many times have we seen that and it never seems to get better??) and Semin cashes in a wide empty net to tie the game at 3.

The Sharks come with a flurry in the last two minutes, crowd goes nuts, but no goals.

5 minutes into OT Matt Bradley hooks Marleau on what would have been a great scoring chance giving the Sharks a PP. On that PP the crowd is ballistic with energy. Thornton wins the draw and put on a good barrage for 20 seconds with the best chances ever. Sharks fans can see the Cup. We can taste it.

Caps get the clear and with no change Boyle brings the puck up...except that he does that inexcusable blind drop pass to Thornton at center ice that he likes to do on the power play, which Thornton isn't ready for, but Ovie is, jumps on it, takes in for a breakaway and takes Nabby's five hole (What else?). Caps win the Cup in OT at HP. The whole offseason and years and years later fans wonder what could have been. Many fans of course are too scared to ask why bad things we've seen over and over again in the season weren't fixed for the playoffs.

Long way of saying that I think if anything the Sharks could go on a deep run but things that should be addressed (but aren't) will come back and kill them in the end. I just can't help but think Nabby's ridicuously poor play behind the net and that laughable blind back pass by Boyle on the PP will be their downfall (if it is truly their year and they go deep).
Man, you have a creative imagination

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Kitten Mittons

Texas must be a real boring place to live...

Old
03-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Good lord. First off, there's still another 17 games to go. Secondly, I would gladly live through CC's worst fear of screwing up a game 7 OT in the Stanley Cup Finals. I'm sorry but if this Sharks team reached that point, they've majorly overachieved. Thirdly, OSF and Sniper should get a room. Oh, we own Ilya Kovalchuk! Screw you, buddy. lol Fourthly, as long as Don Cherry picks us to win like he is and has been continuing to do since we got Joe Thornton, we ain't doing diddly poo! Frankly, I would be happy if Joe Thornton got more than two playoff goals in a single run.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Frankly, I would be happy if Joe Thornton got more than two playoff goals in a single run.
He did in the 07-08 and 05-06 runs. Basically, he scores one goal per series.

Old
03-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
He did in the 07-08 and 05-06 runs. Basically, he scores one goal per series.
I said more than two...not two. lol

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:22 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Texas must be a real boring place to live...
Damn. beat me to it.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:23 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Booooo this thread

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:47 AM
BCShark

Quote:

just like every year.
pretty much...pp will fizzle also. dont have high hopes this year

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

I think if we try to jinx ourselves hard enough, we will actually do good.

NABBY WILL SHUTOUT EVERY GAME.

THORNTON FOR CONN SMYTHE.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 03:01 AM
gonegonegone*

eh not like anything we do will matter. im hopeful this is finally the year but concerned about our lackluster play in big games and the fact that we might end up with detroit as our first round opponent, which would royally suck. the fact is, over the past bunch of years, the only team we 'dominated' in the playoffs has been nashville.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I really do have a good feeling about this year. But I won't let myself fall for it. All we can do is hope.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 07:19 AM
sjshrky27

nabby showed us a preview at the olympics of what they playoffs will be like

epic fail

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 08:17 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

I do not believe in jinxes....silly.

I have never been this confident about a Sharks team. Ever. That's all I will say.

03-09-2010, 09:02 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Man, you have a creative imagination
Just creatively putting things we see from the Sharks that are inexcusable and can be corrected into a scenario where it costs us majorly. Just tired of seeing that blind drop pass from Boyle on the PP at center ice and have that funny feeling that even when things go well, it will come back to haunt us. Ditto for Nabby's piss poor play behind the net.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote