HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Under the radar. Could this be the year?

Old
03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
KzooShark

vCash: 500
I'm expecting the worst this year. That way, if anything else occurs, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
aznkukuboi

With Blake and his 3.5 mil and eating up minutes in the penalty box, I don't think this is the year. lol

aznkukuboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM
SharksFailToClear

If joe leads the team in shots on goal during the playoffs, we will win it all! I want to see patty and heatley burying rebounds. He's slow, so lets see patty carry it in wide and then drop pass to joe for a one timer while they drive the net. He did it on his first shift as a shark, maybe if he hadn't hit that crossbar it would have changed the way he plays.

I know it is not going to happen, but because other teams know joe's game so well even if he came out firing the puck from everywhere and had hat tricks in every game, the opposition would still not adjust how they play him. Everyone expects him to slow it down and look for the pass.

SharksFailToClear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 10:16 AM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brototype View Post
If joe leads the team in shots on goal during the playoffs, we will win it all! I want to see patty and heatley burying rebounds. He's slow, so lets see patty carry it in wide and then drop pass to joe for a one timer while they drive the net. He did it on his first shift as a shark, maybe if he hadn't hit that crossbar it would have changed the way he plays.

I know it is not going to happen, but because other teams know joe's game so well even if he came out firing the puck from everywhere and had hat tricks in every game, the opposition would still not adjust how they play him. Everyone expects him to slow it down and look for the pass.

Can Joe even do a one-timer??

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 11:11 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Since we lost in the first round last season, is it a success if we make the second? Sigh, I miss the late 90s...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
SactoShork
SYMSL

vCash: 3000
I liked last year's team... so what the hell do i know?

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Since we lost in the first round last season, is it a success if we make the second? Sigh, I miss the late 90s...
man going back to your imagination, see the world through Teal colored glasses much?

Everyone knows that if Detroit stays in 8th and the Sharks still manage 1st. kiss it goodbye first round just like last year.

Look every year I follow this team and if and when the Sharks are in the playoffs my hopes always go up. But this year as I've said all year long. If you get out of the 3rd round ok I'll be impressed. But until that time I trot a long like a true fan with the hope.

Another thing is that the Caps will take the President's trophy. And all I have to say is you can have it! take that curse Washington!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:47 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
man going back to your imagination, see the world through Teal colored glasses much?

Everyone knows that if Detroit stays in 8th and the Sharks still manage 1st. kiss it goodbye first round just like last year.

Look every year I follow this team and if and when the Sharks are in the playoffs my hopes always go up. But this year as I've said all year long. If you get out of the 3rd round ok I'll be impressed. But until that time I trot a long like a true fan with the hope.

Another thing is that the Caps will take the President's trophy. And all I have to say is you can have it! take that curse Washington!
Which is why making the second round should be considered a huge success!

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:54 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post

Just a small pundit on a Wings interview with Ken Daniels on Hockerycentral in T.O. (obviously not on the Sharks rather the Wings but, a small comment they were just making on the Sharks and Hawks); they were talking of how the Wings will most likely finish 7th or 8th and, can you imagine how the the management of the Sharks and Hawks feel that one most likely will get stuck with the Wings in round 1? (this is the link if you wish to listen to it; http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/hockeycentral/ . All on the Wings though but, interesting talk). So, yes expectations will be VERY low for us, especially if we do begin against the Wings. So, wouldn't it be great to put a surprise into all around the league?

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:05 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

This is why I keep crossing the fingers saying come on Nashville or Come on Calgaray. (NO WHAMMIES! NO WHAMMIES! STOP!)

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:07 PM
druncan

is it baseball season yet?

druncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:14 PM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by druncan View Post
is it baseball season yet?
Speaking of baseball. WHen the nhl season ends, is when the baseball season starts. So, if the Sharks lose, i can always look forward to the A's winning. Oh wait.

I'm hoping the Sharks face Nashville or Calgary. I dont' want to face the wings. And so i can trash talk my friend since he's a preds fan.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:35 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
Speaking of baseball. WHen the nhl season ends, is when the baseball season starts. So, if the Sharks lose, i can always look forward to the A's winning. Oh wait.

I'm hoping the Sharks face Nashville or Calgary. I dont' want to face the wings. And so i can trash talk my friend since he's a preds fan.
Well, I can top that; I have a brother in law whom IS FROM DETROIT...oh wait.

He and his dad travel to Detroit anywhere around a dozen times a season and, they are already ribbing me on; "can't wait to feast on Shark meat this spring. They're the one's the Wings really really want".

Old
03-09-2010, 01:41 PM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
Well, I can top that; I have a brother in law whom IS FROM DETROIT...oh wait.

He and his dad travel to Detroit anywhere around a dozen times a season and, they are already ribbing me on; "can't wait to feast on Shark meat this spring. They're the one's the Wings really really want".
Everyone wants the Sharks, kings fans wants the Sharks, Coyotes wants the Sharks. Thats our reputation especially on HF. I have friends that like the kings, cousins that like the coyotes, and a friend htat likes the preds. So its pretty much, i can trash talk all series long. It'll be fun.

Everyone says" Well at least we aren't chokers". Thats the only arguement people have on the Sharks especially my cousin who likes the yotes. I"m like remember the last time the yotes made it to the playoffs, and the Sharks beat you in 6 games.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:52 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
Everyone wants the Sharks, kings fans wants the Sharks, Coyotes wants the Sharks. Thats our reputation especially on HF. I have friends that like the kings, cousins that like the coyotes, and a friend htat likes the preds. So its pretty much, i can trash talk all series long. It'll be fun.

Everyone says" Well at least we aren't chokers". Thats the only arguement people have on the Sharks especially my cousin who likes the yotes. I"m like remember the last time the yotes made it to the playoffs, and the Sharks beat you in 6 games.
In truth, I hope we don't get the Wings right away. Yes, we want the tough teams as, you do have to beat a tough team(s) to make it all the way. But, it will sink some sense into T.M. head on how to better use the D when it's getting beat by the lesser like teams in the earlier rounds. Plus, if we don't meet the likes of the Wings or Hawks or Canuck to at least round 3, maybe the hype and excitement of actually going that far will put a massive spark under the likes of most our team up front and then they'll "hopefully" go nuts.

Old
03-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Just creatively putting things we see from the Sharks that are inexcusable and can be corrected into a scenario where it costs us majorly. Just tired of seeing that blind drop pass from Boyle on the PP at center ice and have that funny feeling that even when things go well, it will come back to haunt us. Ditto for Nabby's piss poor play behind the net.
I think you're going a little over the top with this one. That drop pass on the power play has yet to be turned around and gone against the team. And you're highly exaggerating Nabby's puck play. He's actually been one of the better goalies this year. He's generally average compared to goalies around the league but he's stepped it up this year and is much improved.

I can understand concern and doubt but you just go to an extreme here.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Quote:
Either that, or my fear:

The Sharks (#1 seed and President's Cup Winner [yes I think they can catch the caps]) go on a crazy run. Like the Pens a few years ago, they go up 3-0 in all their first three series. All those ends in sweeps or five games. The Sharks are on a tear.

In the East, Washington comes out but has several gruesome series.

Everyone picks the Sharks to run over the Caps the way they ran over everyone else. We fans know better because anytime the Sharks are favored, it's a disaster.

Sharks dominate the first two and go up 2-0. The Caps find second life and defend home ice to tie the series at 2.

The Sharks put up a stinker at home in game 5, going down 3-2 headed back to DC.

In Game 6, the Sharks play the game of their lives and win a 2-0 decision.

Back to game 7, goals back and forth leave the game tied at 2 after 2. At the ten minute mark Manny Malhotra cashes in a rebound to put the Sharks up 3-2 and the crowd is buzzing.

Five minutes later Nabokov with his notoriously poor puck handling misplays a puck behind the net (how many times have we seen that and it never seems to get better??) and Semin cashes in a wide empty net to tie the game at 3.

The Sharks come with a flurry in the last two minutes, crowd goes nuts, but no goals.

5 minutes into OT Matt Bradley hooks Marleau on what would have been a great scoring chance giving the Sharks a PP. On that PP the crowd is ballistic with energy. Thornton wins the draw and put on a good barrage for 20 seconds with the best chances ever. Sharks fans can see the Cup. We can taste it.

Caps get the clear and with no change Boyle brings the puck up...except that he does that inexcusable blind drop pass to Thornton at center ice that he likes to do on the power play, which Thornton isn't ready for, but Ovie is, jumps on it, takes in for a breakaway and takes Nabby's five hole (What else?). Caps win the Cup in OT at HP. The whole offseason and years and years later fans wonder what could have been. Many fans of course are too scared to ask why bad things we've seen over and over again in the season weren't fixed for the playoffs.

Long way of saying that I think if anything the Sharks could go on a deep run but things that should be addressed (but aren't) will come back and kill them in the end. I just can't help but think Nabby's ridicuously poor play behind the net and that laughable blind back pass by Boyle on the PP will be their downfall (if it is truly their year and they go deep).
What are the odds? That's exactly my fear too. :O

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Kevy D

Quote:
In truth, I hope we don't get the Wings right away. Yes, we want the tough teams as, you do have to beat a tough team(s) to make it all the way. But, it will sink some sense into T.M. head on how to better use the D when it's getting beat by the lesser like teams in the earlier rounds. Plus, if we don't meet the likes of the Wings or Hawks or Canuck to at least round 3, maybe the hype and excitement of actually going that far will put a massive spark under the likes of most our team up front and then they'll "hopefully" go nuts.
hype and excitement seem to be the problem for the Sharks. Those "big games" that get all the attention seem to be the ones that kill them.

Kevy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:30 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I think you're going a little over the top with this one. That drop pass on the power play has yet to be turned around and gone against the team. And you're highly exaggerating Nabby's puck play. He's actually been one of the better goalies this year. He's generally average compared to goalies around the league but he's stepped it up this year and is much improved.

I can understand concern and doubt but you just go to an extreme here.
Drew calls out that pass every time it happens and not being burned yet makes me think it will happen in the playoffs.

As to Nabby's puck play, there just appear to be too many times that Nabby seems to wait too long to decide where to pass out the puck from behind the net (or dishes it out too soon). Just seems like his timing his off.

Yes the extreme is saying it literally costs us the Cup, but don't be surprised if these things that seem to go uncorrected bite us in the playoffs, especially when the team is otherwise firing on all cylinders.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
I'd rather Detroit not make the playoffs at all. It's long overdue.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Artful_Dodger*

This thread

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Drew calls out that pass every time it happens and not being burned yet makes me think it will happen in the playoffs.

As to Nabby's puck play, there just appear to be too many times that Nabby seems to wait too long to decide where to pass out the puck from behind the net (or dishes it out too soon). Just seems like his timing his off.

Yes the extreme is saying it literally costs us the Cup, but don't be surprised if these things that seem to go uncorrected bite us in the playoffs, especially when the team is otherwise firing on all cylinders.
So what your really saying is "anything can happen".

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 05:08 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
So what your really saying is "anything can happen".
Well, not anything... But more than nothing, and less than everything, for sure.

Last edited by hockeyball: 03-09-2010 at 05:27 PM.
hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

So because Drew doesn't like it means that you must not like it as a result? That's odd. Drew also doesn't like the celebratory glove bump with everyone on the bench. Do you hate that too or will that find a way to screw us in the playoffs with like a busted wrist? lol

Nabby's timing has actually improved dramatically because he's shown a lot more patience with the puck. It's the times he doesn't show that patience that he turns it over. He's been better off holding onto it a little longer. He's reached a happy medium.

You seem to think that these two particular things are things that need to be corrected and the fact of the matter is that they don't and they shouldn't be. You just have to trust your best players to be your best players. It's what they get paid to do. And if they fail to come through again this post-season, I sincerely doubt it will be because of these two things. It will be because they can't outperform the other team's top guys.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Rickety Cricket

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote