HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

# 66 | Avalanche vs. NHL Ready Hodgson | 7 PM MTN | 03 - 08 - 10

Old
03-10-2010, 11:24 PM
AyVee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Ryan Smyth was the deflection master. He parked his ass in front of the net, but mostly he made his living off small rebounds and knocking at the puck til it got in the net.

Duchene definitely shows the skills to score the pretty goals, but the plain and simple truth is that to make a living as a goal scorer in this league nowadays, you have to go to the spots where goals are scored. In today's League, those spots are not outside the faceoff circles or with a good dangle anymore. Watch the best goal scorers in the League, they do it by parking their ***** in the front of the net, picking up juicy rebounds, maybe every once in a while sniping a good one home. No matter how much the League tries, the days where the elite players dangled thirty-two guys out of their gear and scored every goal on a beautiful snipe, every night, are gone.
Isn't that what Svatos does?
What about all the best players in the league? Ovechkin, Gaborik, Datsyk, Crosby, Malkin, Parise... Tampa Bay's first line (although not of late), San Jose's first line, Kane or maybe Teows? I wonder if Vanek still does or even Kopitar... I still believe those players and these days are here, it's just harder to do, not impossible.
Not that any of it matters anyway when Gretzky becomes commissioner

Last edited by AyVee: 03-10-2010 at 11:35 PM.
AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
phxAvsfan

Quote:
Ryan Smyth was the deflection master. He parked his ass in front of the net, but mostly he made his living off small rebounds and knocking at the puck til it got in the net.

Duchene definitely shows the skills to score the pretty goals, but the plain and simple truth is that to make a living as a goal scorer in this league nowadays, you have to go to the spots where goals are scored. In today's League, those spots are not outside the faceoff circles or with a good dangle anymore. Watch the best goal scorers in the League, they do it by parking their ***** in the front of the net, picking up juicy rebounds, maybe every once in a while sniping a good one home. No matter how much the League tries, the days where the elite players dangled thirty-two guys out of their gear and scored every goal on a beautiful snipe, every night, are gone.
Don't tell Ovechkin that.

phxAvsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:31 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinmedics View Post
Either way, he still missed the breakaway chance. The other play that comes to mind is the one where McNabb was raving about how he used Hejduk as a "decoy" to distract Luongo, but just shot the puck instead. Sure, he almost fooled Luongo but even if he didn't notice, that wouldn't have gone in. Make the pass, all day.

I mean, I definitely understand wanting a hatty, and feeling like you want to carry the team on your shoulders and be the star. But trying too hard, whether it's holding on to the puck or failing to see the guy you should spring, only makes things worse.
That was actually a very clever play. He also did what Sakic used to do and waited for the defenseman to skate in front of him and shot the puck while the dman's skates were blocking Lou's view. The goalie can't see the release and can't get the early trajectory on the puck. If he isn't positioned correctly (cheating towards Duke) that is a goal. I say take that shot 9 times out of 10.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:51 AM
IcedMaidenDeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
What about all the best players in the league? Ovechkin, Gaborik, Datsyk, Crosby, Malkin, Parise... Tampa Bay's first line (although not of late), San Jose's first line, Kane or maybe Teows? I wonder if Vanek still does or even Kopitar... I still believe those players and these days are here, it's just harder to do, not impossible.
Parise is pretty much the perfect example of a star player that "[does] it by parking their ***** in the front of the net, picking up juicy rebounds." The others I won't argue though.

IcedMaidenDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedMaidenDeth View Post
Parise is pretty much the perfect example of a star player that "[does] it by parking their ***** in the front of the net, picking up juicy rebounds." The others I won't argue though.
Crosby does that as well. I think he scores the majority of his goals below the hash marks. Neither guys regularly bomb a slapshot or snipe a perimeter wrister like Semin or Kovy.

Last edited by Pure: 03-11-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxAvsfan View Post
Don't tell Ovechkin that.
Yes, there are players that are still able to do it, but not every goal, and it doesn't happen near as often as it used to. People are speaking as if Duchene is supposed to score every goal in the pretty fashion. It just doesn't happen that often anymore.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Yes, there are players that are still able to do it, but not every goal, and it doesn't happen near as often as it used to. People are speaking as if Duchene is supposed to score every goal in the pretty fashion. It just doesn't happen that often anymore.
Nor does it actually matter.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
As said by IcedMaidenDeth Parise goals come off rebounds see gold meal game and he scored like that yesterday against the king.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Nor does it actually matter.
Exactly. There's currently a guy tied for the lead in goals that scores all of his goals the dirty way. He's just as good a player as any guy that scores his goals the pretty way.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote