HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offical 2010 Red Wing Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2010, 01:03 PM
FabricDetails

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Markström has been killing the SEL for two years. McCollum had downright awful stats in GR, and was even demoted to the ECHL. He also sucked at the WJC. The difference is huge.
Markström's diving in the WJC Gold Medal game really turned off some Red Wings fans.

Old
06-13-2010, 01:26 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Markström's diving in the WJC Gold Medal game really turned off some Red Wings fans.
McCollum's performance in the WJC really turned off some Red Wings fans.

Old
06-13-2010, 02:02 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
In GR you could see McCollum had potential. He was big and quick. But for whatever reason it seemed like every shot went in. Not really sure what he has to do to fix this but I hope he does.

Old
06-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
And in ten years, it's too late to look back, right?

Markström has been killing the SEL for two years. McCollum had downright awful stats in GR, and was even demoted to the ECHL. He also sucked at the WJC. The difference is huge.
Like I said, I have even been critical of it.... but I'm not about to give up on him. Meeting him the other day and seeing his positive attitude reaffirmed that. They have both accomplished the same thing at the NHL level. Nothing. The difference is huge? Different situations, sure. How can you predict how a Swedish kid will adapt in North America? Go ahead and look back in 10 years, things can change.

Who cares about one tournament, btw? If it were about one tournament Chris Madden>Roberto Luongo

Old
06-13-2010, 05:30 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
And in ten years, it's too late to look back, right?

Liv was arguably the top goalie in the SEL and he wound up in the ECHL when he came over.

Larsson was dominant in the SEL and aside from the first half of his first season he struggled in the AHL too.

Does that mean that the AHL is tougher than the SEL? My point is one player doing well in the SEL while another struggles in the AHL doesn't really mean that you can draw a conclusion about who is better. Heck, Howard's AHL career wasn't anything special but look what he did in the NHL last season!

Old
06-14-2010, 10:28 AM
zackisonfire*

I think we need to draft a forward and I think we really need to hit on this pick. With what our position is(better than usual) and the amount of forward talent this year, a miss would well... suck. Some interesting facts I posted on the Leafs board:

-12 of the top 15 forwards in scoring were drafted in the first 5 picks

-22 of the top 30 forwards in scoring were drafted in the first round

-7 of the top 15 defensemen in scoring were drafted in the first round

-9 of the top 30 defensemen in scoring were drafted in the first round

I think this just shows how important it is to pick and then to develop your first round talent correctly. Granted, Detroit is the only team to have two players on each list that were not drafted in the first round. So if any team can pull it off without a first round pick;it's Detroit.

Last edited by zackisonfire*: 06-14-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old
06-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Marky9er

I'll be happy if we snag etem or howden. Both strong skaters with finish. I like the size factor with howden, the latest addition to my short list.

Old
06-14-2010, 12:26 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Liv was arguably the top goalie in the SEL
huh? he was already on the decline when he left for NA. liv neither had the style nor anything else that made him a good prospect.

Quote:
Larsson was dominant in the SEL and aside from the first half of his first season he struggled in the AHL too.
dominant? geez. he was pretty good, but far from being dominant. larsson at 22 was even close to what markstrom is doing at 19. complete different level.

Quote:
Does that mean that the AHL is tougher than the SEL? My point is one player doing well in the SEL while another struggles in the AHL doesn't really mean that you can draw a conclusion about who is better. Heck, Howard's AHL career wasn't anything special but look what he did in the NHL last season!
agreed here, success in any other league than the NHL doesn't mean anything for a possible NHL career. but if you judge goalies by what they do, what they offer, skills etc then you will see why markstrom is lightyears ahead of liv and larsson.

i've never seen a swedish goalie being as good as markstrom at this young age. there's not a single one.
but of course in a player's development a lot can go wrong, especially with goalies. there's no sure thing between the pipes.

but unlike mccollum, markstrom succeeded on every step he took so far. that's the difference between both at the moment.

Old
06-14-2010, 01:54 PM
r0bert8841

So NHL.com posted their 3rd Mock Drafts and according to Snapshots, one of the mock draft writers, Brad Holland, is Ken Holland's son. Brad has the Wings taking Nick Bjugstad who looks like a very intriguing pick. The other 2 writers have the Wings taking Pulkkinen and Tarasenko.

I am not sure what to take out of Brad Holland's mock though. Is Bjugstad who we really are targeting or is he just a diversion?

Old
06-14-2010, 08:56 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
So NHL.com posted their 3rd Mock Drafts and according to Snapshots, one of the mock draft writers, Brad Holland, is Ken Holland's son. Brad has the Wings taking Nick Bjugstad who looks like a very intriguing pick. The other 2 writers have the Wings taking Pulkkinen and Tarasenko.

I am not sure what to take out of Brad Holland's mock though. Is Bjugstad who we really are targeting or is he just a diversion?
If it is Bjugstad, then I believe Brad is in for a stern talking to.

Old
06-15-2010, 12:14 AM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
If it is Bjugstad, then I believe Brad is in for a stern talking to.
I am kind of hoping he just decided to have the Wings draft the player who looks like he would fit the Wings style the best, not who we will actuallly pick.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Filppula
Jurks

So when is the draft? Looking forward to it!

Old
06-15-2010, 05:04 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Round 1 is on June 25th and Round 2-7 on June 26th. Looking forward to it. I hope there will be a live stream at least for us Europeans.

Old
06-15-2010, 08:45 AM
PocketGnome

Quote:

I can't imagine Tarasenko falling that far. It seems from what I've read that he's (outside of Hall and Seguin) one of the more polished forwards in the draft... does the Russian factor make him avoidable?

Old
06-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Falkrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGnome View Post
I can't imagine Tarasenko falling that far. It seems from what I've read that he's (outside of Hall and Seguin) one of the more polished forwards in the draft... does the Russian factor make him avoidable?
Yeah, it'll make him drop a bit. But there is no way he's dropping to us.

Old
06-15-2010, 09:32 AM
probertrules24

Quote:
Is Bjugstad who we really are targeting or is he just a diversion?
The Scouting Report:
"Bjugstad had a tremendous season with Blaine, winning the Minnesota Mr. Hockey award as the top high school hockey player in the state. He’s a huge, imposing center, who plays effectively at both ends of the ice. He’s set to attend the University of Minnesota where he should be able to step in and contribute right away"

He scored 60 points in 25 games in is final year of high school so he must have descent hands, plus he's 6'4. Size down the middle is always a nice asset. If we can't get a guy like McIlrath I like the idea of taking Bjugstad who will be playing college and give us time to let him develop.

My top 5 would be:

1. Dylan McIlrath D
Height: 6.04
Weight: 212lbs.
Shoots: R
Season Statistics: Regular Season | 65GP 7G 17A 24P 169PIM

2. Nick Bjugstad C
Height: 6.04
Weight: 188lbs.
Season Statistics: Regular Season | 25GP 29G 31A 60P 24PIM

3. Kirill Kabanov LW
Height: 6.02
Weight: 173lbs.
Season Statistics: Regular Season | 22GP 10G 13A 23P 34PIM

4. Quinton Howden LW
Height: 6.03
Weight: 183lbs.
Shoots: L
Season Statistics: Regular Season | 65GP 28G 37A 65P 44PIM

5. Jaden Schwartz C
Height: 5.10
Weight: 193lbs.
Shoots: L
Season Statistics: Regular Season | 60GP 33G 50A 83P 18PIM

I would also love us to move up in the second and take.
Beau Bennett
Height: 6.01
Weight: 173lbs.
Season Statistics: Regular Season | 56GP 41G 79A 120P 20PIM

Old
06-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Round 1 is on June 25th and Round 2-7 on June 26th. Looking forward to it. I hope there will be a live stream at least for us Europeans.
I can pretty much guarantee that there will be.. The day 2 coverage is usually pretty awful though. Its hard to keep up with the picks because they keep talking about the first round and give interviews I dont want to hear

Old
06-15-2010, 10:50 AM
r0bert8841

My top would be
1. McIlrath
2. Watson
3. Merril
4. Bjugstad
5. Tinordi

Old
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
ChadS

No McIlrath, PLEASE!!! Bjugstad would be a 10000x better pick. Ain't that right, Kenny??

Old
06-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Agreed ChadS, please don't draft Dylan McIlrath.

Teemu Pulkkinen is interesting, perhaps could be a slider though?

I've got the feeling our first pick will be used on a defenceman once more. I think we need to get as much high-end skill into our system as possible though, want more forwards!!

Old
06-15-2010, 12:03 PM
r0bert8841

Why no McIlrath? Do you not like him or you just don't want a defensemen drafted?

Old
06-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Why no McIlrath? Do you not like him or you just don't want a defensemen drafted?
Well, it's no secret that I don't particularly want a defenceman (I want a goaltender even less) with our first pick but I just don't see McIlrath being a good fit in Detroit. Since when do we go for types like him? Sure he's got outstanding size and he can fight and may develop into a punishing guy to have on the back-end but I have my doubts. I actually think should he drop to us (man can dream...) we'll select Mark Pysyk, seems like our type of guy.

Of course in saying all that, I want a forward with plenty of skill. Pulkkinen would be up there for my first choice.

Old
06-15-2010, 12:58 PM
CanadaRules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
Well, it's no secret that I don't particularly want a defenceman (I want a goaltender even less) with our first pick but I just don't see McIlrath being a good fit in Detroit. Since when do we go for types like him? Sure he's got outstanding size and he can fight and may develop into a punishing guy to have on the back-end but I have my doubts. I actually think should he drop to us (man can dream...) we'll select Mark Pysyk, seems like our type of guy.

Of course in saying all that, I want a forward with plenty of skill. Pulkkinen would be up there for my first choice.
You want to take Pulkkinen at 21st?? Glad your not the GM of this team.

And besides that, normally the Wings go North American for the first two rounds or so and then hand the keys over to Hakann and see what he can do.

McIlrath would be a beast on this team. A 6-5 punishing defenseman who can hit, fight and came from the WHL. Better take him if he's there imo

Old
06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
ChadS

I personally don't think McIlrath fits the Wings at all. He's the total opposite of what we normally look at in d-men; he doesn't have the hockey sense or offensive skills to make it in our team and I don't see him ever being a top-4 defenseman in the NHL.

As Kenny picks the BPA in the 1st, I really don't see him taking McIlrath over a big, skilled forward like Bjugstad etc. The 1st round in this years draft is so deep in high-skilled forwards that we have to take advantage of that! I don't think Bjugstad will be available at 21 but there will be lots of good forwards left, better players than McIlrath.

Someone mentioned Beau Bennett, who would be a GREAT pick! But maybe not at 21...

Old
06-15-2010, 01:30 PM
r0bert8841

Alright, I just think McIlrath is a rare kind of player that the Wings are never in a position to grab. A skilled player who is big and physical and can drop the gloves. Even if he isn't even the best player available when the Wings draft, they got to consider that this is probably their only opportunity to obtain a player like him. The Wings find so many skilled forwards every year in every round (except the first). Hell we nearly had Kruger last year. Imagine getting Kruger in addition to Ferraro, Tatar, and Nestrastil. And the year before that we got Nyquist in the 4th round. A few years earlier we got Mursak in the 6th. I personally think the Wings could have the most productive draft if they draft a D early and save their later picks for forwards.

And this draft has so many skilled forwards with question marks, and their are only a handful of teams who are willing to take a chance on them, that it is highly probable that one of them drops to the Wings 2nd round pick. Granlund, Pulkkinen, Tarasenko, Kuznetzov, Kabanov, etc...

Closed Thread