HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Offical 2010 Red Wing Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2010, 03:57 PM
r0bert8841

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
So do I! But if the scernario plays out with us being 8th seed and losing in the first round, how does the league decide where we draft?

Old
03-29-2010, 02:10 AM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
But they won't, the Wings have proved year after year that they are going to play it safe in the early rounds and go for the home runs after the 3rd/4th rounds. The Wings haven't drafted a Russian since Stolyarov, I doubt they draft one early, but if they do it won't be in the early rounds unless they are currently playing in NA. Hakan is on record saying he is scouting Russia more this year because of their strong draft class, which is the only reason I am a little unsure.

We need Power Forwards and Big Physical Defensive DMen like you said, and thats how the Wings ussually draft in the early rounds. Big Strong Skilled Physical players are hard to come by and are only really available in the top 2 rounds.

Also what kind of pick does it look like we are going to end up with?

Well if the season were to end right now we would have the 21st pick.

I doubt they will draft a power forward or a physical defencemen it's been a while since they did.

As for the Russians in the draft there is a couple expected to go in the first round that are playing in North America right now. Also this is definately the year to go after the Russians they will probably fall into our lap because alot of the weaker teams will be afraid to take them in fear they wont come over. If Detroit were to trade down and end up with three 2nd round picks we could get some highly skilled talented Russians maybe even get lucky and get another Fedorov or Datsyuk.

Old
03-29-2010, 02:35 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Best player available [that fits the system]. Period. I hope the best player available is a true center. I doubt it will be a defensive defensemen, a lot of teams overvalue those guys and take them early. And power forwards, while valuable, are few and far between and go quick. One can hope, but, again.... best player available [that fits the system].

Old
03-29-2010, 05:26 AM
r0bert8841

Big Puck Moving D
Smith
Kindl

Power Forwards
Abdelkader
Mattias
Axelsson

The only picks in the first 2 rounds that haven't been listed since 05 are McCollum, Emmerton, Tatar, and Ferraro. Like I said they like to play it safe in the first 2 rounds. Axelsson was the only risky pick and look where it has gotten them. I am sure the Wings won't do that again. They made that clear when they took McColum over Markstrom.

Also the Wings haven't drafted a forward in the 1st round since 92 when they drafted Curtis Bowen.

Last edited by r0bert8841: 03-29-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old
03-29-2010, 05:30 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Its been awhile?

Physical D
Smith
Kindl
GW is definitely going to come at you for this one. I sense a name drop beginning with the letter P coming.

Old
03-29-2010, 05:34 AM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
GW is definitely going to come at you for this one. I sense a name drop beginning with the letter P coming.
HA I changed it to Big Puck Moving D

Old
03-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Granlund anybody....????

I'd love to see you guys draft him

Old
03-29-2010, 11:43 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

Wings picks: Bjugstad, Pickard (WTF), McIrath, MacFarland

I'd take any of the 3 that are skaters. We dont need ANOTHER goalie, regardless if hes BPA becuase eventually we need to move a goalie and thats near impossible these days.

Old
03-29-2010, 02:30 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Yeah, I just read that same article. Drafting another goalie is preposterous.

I don't know much about the prospects lower down the ranking, so I'll trust the other members' judgment on them. But this ranking will be completely different IMO when the official rankings are announced.

We have some pretty strong prospects already for all positions, but what position do you think the Wings scouts will be looking for?

I'm curious to see who we draft this year, since it's a long time since we will draft so early, no? Maybe we could use it as part of a trade.

Old
03-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Not that I want another goalie, but if the Wings ends up picking one in the first round, I'd question the managment if they take Pickard over Campbell..

Old
03-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Yeah, I just read that same article. Drafting another goalie is preposterous.

I don't know much about the prospects lower down the ranking, so I'll trust the other members' judgment on them. But this ranking will be completely different IMO when the official rankings are announced.

We have some pretty strong prospects already for all positions, but what position do you think the Wings scouts will be looking for?

I'm curious to see who we draft this year, since it's a long time since we will draft so early, no? Maybe we could use it as part of a trade.
A long time since we draft 30th overall? not really, we did it just 2 years ago

Old
03-29-2010, 08:01 PM
r0bert8841

Dylan McIlrath seems like a very interesting prospect. He has size and from what I have read he can play. The only question really is would he fit into the system?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=116161

The kid is everything we need, we won't be drafting this high in a long time so the Red Wings need to be very careful about who they draft.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu.LkSL...anhl-prospects

Old
03-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Go Wings

Quote:
Big Puck Moving D
Smith
Kindl

Power Forwards
Abdelkader
Mattias
Axelsson

The only picks in the first 2 rounds that haven't been listed since 05 are McCollum, Emmerton, Tatar, and Ferraro. Like I said they like to play it safe in the first 2 rounds. Axelsson was the only risky pick and look where it has gotten them. I am sure the Wings won't do that again. They made that clear when they took McColum over Markstrom.

Also the Wings haven't drafted a forward in the 1st round since 92 when they drafted Curtis Bowen.

Since you changed it to puckmoving defencemen I'll let it slide this time

As for Power forwards. Axelsson will probably never play for the Wings so he's out. Gator will probably not develop into anything more than a 3rd or 4th liner. However we all thought the same thing about Franzen so never say never.

Markstrom wasnt a risky pick at all it was the right pick and Detroit blew it. The Wings had an excellent draft last year addressing their need for more skill. Now they need to correct their lack of physical defensive defencemen and power forwards. They might not be able to find power forwards unless they trade up for NN (which they wont) so they should pick the high skilled Russians.

Old
03-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
Not that I want another goalie, but if the Wings ends up picking one in the first round, I'd question the managment if they take Pickard over Campbell..
It's tough to say. Campbell looked good at times during the WJC and Pickard will probably be playing in this years WJC. I think both players could go in the 1st or 2nd round so it's not worth spending a draft pick on it. They have Howard and Larsson will hopefully be ready soon plus they also have McCollum and Pearce. Next years draft is supposed to be as bad as 1999 so they should take a chance and draft a couple of goaltending prospects next year if they need it.

Old
03-30-2010, 06:48 AM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
A long time since we draft 30th overall? not really, we did it just 2 years ago
No, I meant 19th overall, when was the last time we drafted that early?

Old
03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Jussha

haven't really been following draft prospects this year, but does anyone know anything about this kabanov guy? if he falls to our spot should we take a chance on him?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523144

Old
03-30-2010, 03:39 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
haven't really been following draft prospects this year, but does anyone know anything about this kabanov guy? if he falls to our spot should we take a chance on him?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523144
Well i can say already that he won't fall all the way to our pick. He's one of the about 8 kids in this draft who are considered "no-risk". Of course every kid has a risk but he has all the skills to possibly be the most talented Russian since Ove.

Old
03-30-2010, 05:31 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Speaking of falling Russians, what do you guys think of Tarasenko? Arguably the best Russian in the draft, he should fall quite a bit because of his existing KHL contract.

From what I've read, he fully intends to report to his NHL team after his contract is up. (2 years).

Old
03-30-2010, 05:57 PM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatar Sauce View Post
Speaking of falling Russians, what do you guys think of Tarasenko? Arguably the best Russian in the draft, he should fall quite a bit because of his existing KHL contract.

From what I've read, he fully intends to report to his NHL team after his contract is up. (2 years).
I've never seen the guy but if he drops into the 20s where we will be drafting, we should take him and run. We can wait the full 2 seasons, we probably would have kept him their anyways all that time.

But that is one of the few scernarios I see where the Wings get a Russian. Maybe they trade their first for 2 2nd rounds and spend 1 of their 3 2nd rounders on a Russian (sorta like they did in 06 by drafting a risky player HTD with one of their 2nds and went with safer players with the other 2)

Old
03-30-2010, 06:54 PM
jkrx

Ilrath seems good to me... but is he a good D? Or will he turn out like erskine? Not that Erskine is bad just that he has no 1st-2nd rounder value.

Old
03-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Tarasenko is amazing. He's at least as good, if not better than Kabanov.. We wont get either one of them though, so I wont get my hopes up.. If the Wings want a Russian, Galiev and Kuznetsov are more realistic targets..

We should also be able to pick up a good prospect in the 2nd round. A lot of good players will be left on the board after the 45th pick.. I'd be very happy if we got Calle Järnkrok..

Old
04-05-2010, 08:14 AM
r0bert8841

I was just browsing through elite prospects but here are some interesting prospects I stumbled across. Not sure if they are all draft eligible though.

Andreas Jonsson (This guy is ****en 6'8 F) http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13187
Marcus Nilsson http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16958
Max Friberg http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13766
Andres Skoog http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16962
Erik Thorell http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13038
Daniel Naslund http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13206
Ludvig Marklund http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=6839

Old
04-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Jimbo7200

McIlrath in the 1st and Kitsyn in the 2nd ::
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
XO

vCash: 50
Ok, so Red Wings usually don't draft Russians in the 1st round but if Kabanov (who is ranked 31st) would still be there.. any chance that Red Wings would take him, i mean, if he can get everything straight he is talent-wise in class with Seguin/Hall. What do you think?

The Almost.

Old
04-17-2010, 02:00 PM
ChadS

I don't know if this has been noticed here, but Håkan told a Norwegian internet site(?) that he's interested in young norwegian, Sondre Olden. Here's the interview: Link

I don't know if serious enough to choose him in the draft or just talking nice to the Norskis but he seems like an interesting kid. Right now he's playing in the U18 Division 1 tournament and is 7+12=19 in just 4 games... He's also currently listed at 6'4"/198 lbs, 193cm/90kg

Closed Thread