HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offical 2010 Red Wing Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Howard35

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
True but no one really ever questioned Mursak's effort in practice and his persona in the locker room. All of a sudden Ferraro is major Dion Phaneuf-like trade bait looking to be on another team.
So he struggles from injuries for a year and he's already Dion Phaneuf trade bait? Come on now. If he gets hurt and/or struggles again next year then I'd say thats valid. This is a kid who was supposed to be a mid first rounder last year and slipped. His passion and skill set are definitely worth watching.

Old
05-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danja View Post
Any chance the wings get Burmistrov? He really impressed me in the WJCs. He seemed very aware of the ice; much more so than most other guys there.
I'd be down with that, I seen him with Barrie and he looked very skilled. Picking a Russian who has already came over seems far less risky to me as well. He may not be around though.

My guess is Emerson Etem. Plays for Medicine Hat, apparently hes been training with Chelios' trainer. I don't know much about him but apparently he works really hard, has good speed and hockey sense....and he can finish, too.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=508603

Old
05-10-2010, 09:45 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
What are your thoughts on Dylan McIlrath. Ive talked to a few guys that watch every game of his. They say he is a great stay at home with a bomb of a shot. They also mentioned that they believe he hadn't lost a fight all year and is willing to drop the gloves with anybody.

Name: Dylan McIlrath
Number: 8
Pos.: D
Shoots: R
Height: 6'5
Weight: 215
Birthdate: 1992-04-20
Hometown: Winnipeg, MB

With the likes of Kindl and Smith both should be puck movers a top stay at home could be great for our future D.
If you go back a page we talked about both those guys. From what I have heard Watson's stock has risen alot lately and is out of reach. And McIlrath will probably be gone too.

Old
05-14-2010, 02:18 PM
probertrules24

Would anybody be interested in trading down.

Detroit

1st (24th)
3rd (84th)

Florida

2nd (33rd)
2nd (36th)

Detroit – gains two seconds for their 1st and 3rd.
Florida - gains another 1st and gets a 3rd back.
----------------------------

Detroit

1st (24th)
3rd (84th)

Edmonton

2nd (31st)
2nd (51st)

Edmonton – gains another 1st and a 3rd.
-----------------------------

Detroit

1st (24th)
3rd (84th)

Boston

2nd (32nd)
2nd (47th)

Boston - gains another 1st and 3rd

I used http://www.prosportstransactions.com...rades/2010.htm for all the draft positions. I’m not 100% sure they are accurate.

The only problem I have from a Det stand point is the last time we had three 2nd round picks (2006) it hasn’t worked out great for us. None of them have made it yet.

Old
05-14-2010, 02:59 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Depends who's still available, but I would probably do all of those trades.

Old
05-14-2010, 03:26 PM
r0bert8841

If we don't have to give up a 3rd I would do all of those. Moving down 1 or 2 spots last year got us an additional 3rd (we went from 29 or 30 to 31). Moving down from 24 to anywhere in the 2nd round is a worth an additional 2nd. or 2 3rds or a 3rd and 4th or something.

Old
05-14-2010, 03:27 PM
FabricDetails

Any Holmstrom types in this draft? The Wings really need some suitors for him. And no, actually, it's not as easy to find these type of guys as it sounds.

Old
05-14-2010, 05:32 PM
ChadS

Holland: PLEASE don't give up our first pick!!

I want hyped 1st round players! We have enough picks in the later rounds to choose some unknown names.

AND: We are picking at 21 not 24!!!!!!!

Old
05-14-2010, 07:43 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

vCash: 518
I forget where I read it, but I remember someone quoting Holland to something along the lines of Holland saying that he had no intention of trading a first round pick for just about anything; I think he's pretty aware of how massive the talent pool is in the first round.

Then again, Holland said that he would retire when Lidstrom does, and that's pure Blue Sky, isn't it?

We aren't going to get so much as a glimpse at Burmistrov, Tarasenko, or Kuznetsov, My money's still on either of Galiev, Kitsyn or Kabanov, though I'm sure some expansion team is going to try to bill Kabanov as the next Messiah and snatch him up. I hear he has big time attitude issues, though I believe a little time amongst the allstars of the Detroit Red Wings would beat any self-absorbed ***-monkey into shape. Galiev is much, much more of a team player, and has comparable skill, and good height/frame (all of the Russians in the first and early second round are significant skill players, some with a little bit more of a scoring edge than others) as well as very good English; I'm sure that a session or two with Datsyuk would be good for the skill development of such players. I don't think that they can be taught his abilities, though they may be able to develop their own based similar to what he does; it's kind of like amateur rock guitarists trying to mimick Jimmy Hendrix' style of playing, they most likely will not get the exact style but if they try, they will come close. Kitsyn is a massive and talented power forward, the Wings could use someone with his size, ability and position, and perhaps they could get him to hit people with viciousness and reckless abandon, just like Konstantinov did in the good ol' days (Vlad was a defenseman, I know, I just crave another Russian putting people through panes of glass).

It will be interesting to see who the Wings decide on, but I hope that it is another talented and skilled forward, and we could use a Russian or two on this team.

Last edited by TheFirebird: 05-14-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old
05-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
^^ Tarasenko and Burmistrov wont be available at #21, but Kuznetsov could be. Actually, I think he will be...

I really hope the Wings keep their pick this time.. Lots of really good players will be available when the Wings pick..

Old
05-15-2010, 10:46 AM
r0bert8841

Just searching interesting prospects

Jarred Tinordi looks like an interesting prospect huge and tough but apparently he doesn't have the greatest puck skills so I am not sure the Wings will want.

Derek Forbort is 6'5" strong with great decision making and laser sharp passes apparently, that looks like someone that could fair well with the Wings.

Old
05-15-2010, 11:16 AM
FissionFire

Jarred Tinordi isn't the type of guy Detroit drafts. The Wings draft skill and teach the rest of the game. Tinordi just doesn't look to have much raw skill compared to other players likely to be around when he is.

Old
05-16-2010, 08:48 AM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

vCash: 518
What's Forbort like as a player? Does he incorporate his 6'5 frame into his game significantly? Just curious.

Also, if the Red Wings were to trade their first round draft pick, I would hope that it would only be for a higher first round draft pick (say, along with our third round pick or such, though I would rather trade a second and third round pick for a low first.)

Last edited by TheFirebird: 05-16-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old
05-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Holland: PLEASE don't give up our first pick!!

I want hyped 1st round players! We have enough picks in the later rounds to choose some unknown names.

AND: We are picking at 21 not 24!!!!!!!
I'd like to see us trade UP a few spots. Not into the top 10, but somewhere around 15. It would cost, but it would be great to see us target and take action to get a prospect. I have heard some great things about Etem, and I can't see LA passing on a homegrown talent, especially with the draft in front of their fans. LA picks @ 19....I wonder what Boston would want for the 15th pick besides the 21st pick?

Maybe I just want us to trade up to screw LA.......but even if we trade up to take another prospect it would be an exciting development.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:11 PM
petesrw

I am a fan of what we did last year. Trends show that after the first 10 or so picks, the odds of being an NHL player decline a lot. To get a pick that high, you would have to give up more than what it is worth. By trading down, you have a slightly smaller talent pool, but enough players that there are certainly still NHL caliber players. I think mid round picks are way more valuable than getting to pick a few spots earlier in the first. When people say "We HAVE to pick this guy" they are speculating that he will be good, when it is far from being a sure thing. Trading down to acquire an extra pick is an extremely smart decision because it gives us better odds to "hit".

This journalist-turned-scout wrote a book chronicling his time spent in the Bluejackets organization. He follows a couple drafts and goes in depth into the decisions that teams make and how the process works. Future Greats and Heartbreaks by.... something Gare. I recommend it to all of you.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Howard35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
I'd be down with that, I seen him with Barrie and he looked very skilled. Picking a Russian who has already came over seems far less risky to me as well. He may not be around though.

My guess is Emerson Etem. Plays for Medicine Hat, apparently hes been training with Chelios' trainer. I don't know much about him but apparently he works really hard, has good speed and hockey sense....and he can finish, too.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=508603

Damn, Etem can really fly... i guess i should go look at more clips of him.

For the record, at 21 its hard to think about moving down. Id say do it if we were at 24-27 but not at 21. If, and this is a big if, we did do it then I'd want Florida's 33 and 36, thats the most intriguing.

Old
05-16-2010, 02:55 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
If he falls to the Wings they should scoop him up.

I wouldnt mind McIlrath either.

Use the 2nd rounder to find a power forward and give the rest the picks to Hakan.
This is what I'm thinking...

My #1 choice is Kabanov, I really hope the wings are willing to gamble like I am.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:27 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I'm so pumped for this draft

Old
05-16-2010, 05:47 PM
JackieTreehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
This is what I'm thinking...

My #1 choice is Kabanov, I really hope the wings are willing to gamble like I am.
yep. We need a high end forward prospect. My 1st choice as well. I hope Kabanov scares off enough teams in front of us.

Old
05-16-2010, 06:01 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
yep. We need a high end forward prospect. My 1st choice as well. I hope Kabanov scares off enough teams in front of us.
I've been seeing too many negative posts about Kabanov's character to be seduced by his talent. If you want a cancer or a guy who likely isn't going to take a home-town discount, go for it. As of now, count me as one of those who are officially scared-off.

Old
05-16-2010, 06:10 PM
ZDH

He could slip all the way to the second round, and if he does some team is going to get some serious value for their 2nd rounder...

He reminds me a lot of Kovalchuk...

Old
05-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Tyler Toffoli. I looked at one mock draft and that one had him going #25 to Vancouver. Dude can score, has been on championship teams and his favorite NHL team is the Red Wings. Oh and his favorite restaurant is the Keg.

Get 'er done Jim Nill!

Old
05-16-2010, 09:11 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
I'm so pumped for this draft
I was thinking the same thing. It has been a long time since Detroit have drafted this high and seeing who we could get from a pretty talented group of players is exciting.

Old
05-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Howard35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
I've been seeing too many negative posts about Kabanov's character to be seduced by his talent. If you want a cancer or a guy who likely isn't going to take a home-town discount, go for it. As of now, count me as one of those who are officially scared-off.
You can fix attitude. Its called the "detroit red wing effect". We tend to have an effect on people. I wouldnt mind taking a chance at him.

Old
05-17-2010, 12:41 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Tyler Toffoli. I looked at one mock draft and that one had him going #25 to Vancouver. Dude can score, has been on championship teams and his favorite NHL team is the Red Wings. Oh and his favorite restaurant is the Keg.

Get 'er done Jim Nill!
kid is really slow....pass

Closed Thread