HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offical 2010 Red Wing Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2010, 04:42 PM
FabricDetails

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
You can fix attitude. Its called the "detroit red wing effect". We tend to have an effect on people. I wouldnt mind taking a chance at him.
I don't know about that.

I think the Wings tend to look for people who already have good habits and attitudes or are way past that youthful stage of their lives.

Ryno and Axelsson for example. Especially Axelsson since he actually has top six talent.

Old
05-17-2010, 05:44 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
You can fix attitude. Its called the "detroit red wing effect". We tend to have an effect on people. I wouldnt mind taking a chance at him.
See, this train of thought bugs the hell out of me. The Wings' fans seem to have this belief that the organization is above and beyond the laws of this natural world. They are capable of making wrong personnel decisions, they may not be able to resurrect all careers, and they can't change personalities; that is completely up to the player.
If Kabanov doesn't want to conform to the Wings' ways, not saying he won't, but there is nothing the Wings will be able to do to change that man's ways.

Old
05-17-2010, 08:23 PM
CanadaRules*

John McFarland or McIlrath please.

No to Kabanov. If they couldn't put up with him in Jr. A no point in wasting a pick on him.

Old
05-17-2010, 10:08 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Kabanov may change in a locker room with all stars and future HHOFers but he won't be in that situation until he actually is on the team! It will take 2-3 years at least playing North American hockey in juniors and the minors and he must progress each year. With his current attitude problems that just seems unlikely he lasts long enough to make the Wings.

Old
05-17-2010, 10:53 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Ahhh yes, I neglected to mention....

Sean Avery

Old
05-18-2010, 10:07 AM
ChadS

Here's a positive article on Kabanov, it might even change someone's view on him

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1572354/

Old
05-18-2010, 10:14 AM
CanadaRules*

I can't believe that some people want us to draft Kabanov. He's nothing but a cancer in the locker-room.

Old
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
ZDH

Good article, imo his attitude problems have been blown out of proportion. I would be fine with trading our #1 pick for an early 2nd + a 3rd bc kabanov will still be around in the early 2nd...

Old
05-18-2010, 10:27 AM
CanadaRules*

Last thing we need is more soft europeans who can't dig a puck out of the corner.

Old
05-18-2010, 10:40 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRules View Post
Last thing we need is more soft europeans who can't dig a puck out of the corner.
Autch. You picked the wrong favorite team Kabanov will become more physical as he learns the NA game style and even now you can't really call him soft. The fact he's 175lbs doesn't mean he's soft.

Old
05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
CanadaRules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Autch. You picked the wrong favorite team Kabanov will become more physical as he learns the NA game style and even now you can't really call him soft. The fact he's 175lbs doesn't mean he's soft.
I'm praying to God we don't take him. He's just a clown. Everyone on Moncton hates him, and they didn't want him in Russia. Sounds to me like trouble follows him. At 21 taking a flier on a kid like this is a waste especially when players with no extra baggage like McFarland or McIlrath could be available.

Old
05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
Good article, imo his attitude problems have been blown out of proportion. I would be fine with trading our #1 pick for an early 2nd + a 3rd bc kabanov will still be around in the early 2nd...

highly doubtful.
If your plan is to trade down so you can get Kabanov in the early second, I think you'd end up blowing you pick.
Skill wise, he's top 5 in the draft, maybe top 10 at the worst.
If you get a chance to get a top 5 or 10 guy at 22, you'd be a moron to turn it down.
Especially when you consider that we don't have a bluechip top line forward under the age of 28 in our system, except, perhaps, Tatar.

Old
05-18-2010, 02:21 PM
CanadaRules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
highly doubtful.
If your plan is to trade down so you can get Kabanov in the early second, I think you'd end up blowing you pick.
Skill wise, he's top 5 in the draft, maybe top 10 at the worst.
If you get a chance to get a top 5 or 10 guy at 22, you'd be a moron to turn it down.
Especially when you consider that we don't have a bluechip top line forward under the age of 28 in our system, except, perhaps, Tatar.
Maybe a top 5 skilled player, but has a 10 cent brain. We don't need more draft picks bolting back to Europe when they don't get the ice time they feel they deserve- that's exactly what this guy will do when he's in the AHL for his first season or two.

Old
05-18-2010, 02:21 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Here's a positive article on Kabanov, it might even change someone's view on him

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1572354/
I'd be lying if I said that article didn't sway me a bit. He does seem like a good kid who has made mistakes and learned from them. I know how it feels to be misunderstood and labeled as a trouble maker (having flashbacks to my Navy days... ).
Everyone deserves a chance to make things right. If Kabanov is truly a victim of a few bad mistakes, then I'd be willing to give him a shot. But what's the chances he'll be there at the 21rst pick?

I'm sure other GM's won't let him drop that far

Old
05-18-2010, 02:25 PM
CanadaRules*

McFarland is better than Kabanov anyways. Eventually everyone will remember that you can't win cups with soft Europeans. You need players who will go to the rough areas of the ice to score the tough goals in the playoffs. Flashy primadonna's don't cut it in the playoffs.

Old
05-18-2010, 02:35 PM
r0bert8841

Nice article but everyone is going to say things like that when in that situation. It doesn't sway me much but it still did a tiny bit. I still think a D is much more valuable to the Wings than a forward. After Smith and Kindl, our D is just a big question mark.

Old
05-18-2010, 02:38 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Nice article but everyone is going to say things like that when in that situation. It doesn't sway me much but it still did a tiny bit. I still think a D is much more valuable to the Wings than a forward. After Smith and Kindl, our D is just a big question mark.
You dont include them in that question mark?

Old
05-18-2010, 02:58 PM
CanadaRules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
You dont include them in that question mark?
Ya it isn't guaranteed that Kindl will ever earn a spot in the NHL. Lots of potential but can't get it together.

Old
05-18-2010, 04:55 PM
ChadS

Smith won't be with us for probably 2 more years so I wouldn't be too conserned yet about the high-end D prospects after him. And we have some solid D-prospects from whom I'm sure we'll see 1-2 in the NHL. There's some talent within: Lashoff, Pyatt, Nicastro, Kolosov, Almqvist and Fournier. By the way, it looks like we have good size in our upcoming defense prospects:

Kindl - 6'03
Smith - 6'02
Lashoff - 6'03
Nicastro - 6'03
Kolosov - 6'04
+
BigE - 6'05

So it's not all small puck-moving D's as I've been thinking

The place we're lacking size is our offense; from the 14 ranked forward-prospects on RWC, only 4 are 6'02 or more. And that includes Axelsson who'll never be a Red Wing... The guy I'm stoked about right now is Joakim Andersson, he looks really good.

Last edited by ChadS: 05-18-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old
05-18-2010, 05:24 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Kabanov may change in a locker room with all stars and future HHOFers but he won't be in that situation until he actually is on the team! It will take 2-3 years at least playing North American hockey in juniors and the minors and he must progress each year. With his current attitude problems that just seems unlikely he lasts long enough to make the Wings.
This. Sometimes it just takes a slap in the head before a player gets it. Sorry I know we got a lot of other needs but at our pick if he's still around he is by far the BPA. You can fix attitude, you cant get talent like that.. take it and run.

Old
05-18-2010, 05:27 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
See, this train of thought bugs the hell out of me. The Wings' fans seem to have this belief that the organization is above and beyond the laws of this natural world. They are capable of making wrong personnel decisions, they may not be able to resurrect all careers, and they can't change personalities; that is completely up to the player.
If Kabanov doesn't want to conform to the Wings' ways, not saying he won't, but there is nothing the Wings will be able to do to change that man's ways.
Sorry we cannot all think like you. I feel it is a factor that could translate. As mentioned below you, add in HHOFers, cup winners, a high degree of excellence and the notion a team like us has faith in you? I'd say thats enough to warrant some sufficient energy and motivation. Doesnt work for everyone but you never know. I dont disagree about if he doesnt like it, he wont do it but you cannot make a winner with a personality like that anyway so I wouldnt be opposed to letting him walk. Its one of those "You dont know until you try it" type things. Personally, it wouldnt shock me to see him go to Washington if he slips.

Old
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
This. Sometimes it just takes a slap in the head before a player gets it. Sorry I know we got a lot of other needs but at our pick if he's still around he is by far the BPA. You can fix attitude, you cant get talent like that.. take it and run.
There's a pretty massive population of repeat offenders in prison who kinda show that attitude can't be "fixed". People either grow and get a hold of themselves or they don't.

There's no promise someone will do that just because of being in a Wings locker room. People seem to forget that Sean Avery started out with the Wings in a room with many future HHOFers and he didn't change, they just shipped him out. Shipping out a 1st round pick because he's a ***** is not what the Wings can afford right now though. It's far too risky.

Old
05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
CanadaRules*

Quote:
Sorry we cannot all think like you. I feel it is a factor that could translate. As mentioned below you, add in HHOFers, cup winners, a high degree of excellence and the notion a team like us has faith in you? I'd say thats enough to warrant some sufficient energy and motivation. Doesnt work for everyone but you never know. I dont disagree about if he doesnt like it, he wont do it but you cannot make a winner with a personality like that anyway so I wouldnt be opposed to letting him walk. Its one of those "You dont know until you try it" type things. Personally, it wouldnt shock me to see him go to Washington if he slips.
Moncton is in the Memorial Cup right now without Kabanov because no one on the team could stand him. That says alot about his character, or lack thereof.

Old
05-18-2010, 06:28 PM
r0bert8841

No Kindl and Smith aren't guranteed but at least we have an idea of their potential, and they probably are the only 2 that have a decent chance of reaching their high end potential. The rest are just are either to young to have any idea of their potential, not close to the NHL, or both.

Chad I am confused about your Smith comment, can you explain?

And Chad I know the Wings prospect pool like the back of my hand, I know we have size on the D. The only high end D prospects the Wings have were both 1st rounders. That is because it is hard to find skilled D of that size outside of the 1st. Nicastro is an early pick too, but he is really a question mark with his little playing time at BU. Lashoff was a UFA and his potential is a bit unclear also. Kolosov is not a puck moving defensemen, he is a big stay at home D. The Wings have trouble getting legit D prospects out side the first round, which is why I feel it is so important to get one early this year, because we can get someone with a combination of size and talent we could never get in the past.

The Wings on the other hand have no problem drafting highly skilled forwards from any position in the draft. Tatar, Mursak, and Nyquist are just the 3 that are closest to reaching that potential. 2nd round, 6th round, and 4th round picks. Their is a much better chance one of those guys turns into an elite player than any of our D prospects. Their is also Ferraro, Nestrasil, Axelsson, Coetzee, and Emmerton who have a chance at becoming at least 2nd liners if they make it.

The Wings should draft a Big D in the first not because it is the BPA, but because we cannot find any players like that later on, while we can find high end forwards anywhere in the draft. It is just basic Supply and Demand.

Old
05-18-2010, 07:24 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Quote:
No Kindl and Smith aren't guranteed but at least we have an idea of their potential, and they probably are the only 2 that have a decent chance of reaching their high end potential. The rest are just are either to young to have any idea of their potential, not close to the NHL, or both.

Chad I am confused about your Smith comment, can you explain?

And Chad I know the Wings prospect pool like the back of my hand, I know we have size on the D. The only high end D prospects the Wings have were both 1st rounders. That is because it is hard to find skilled D of that size outside of the 1st. Nicastro is an early pick too, but he is really a question mark with his little playing time at BU. Lashoff was a UFA and his potential is a bit unclear also. Kolosov is not a puck moving defensemen, he is a big stay at home D. The Wings have trouble getting legit D prospects out side the first round, which is why I feel it is so important to get one early this year, because we can get someone with a combination of size and talent we could never get in the past.

The Wings on the other hand have no problem drafting highly skilled forwards from any position in the draft. Tatar, Mursak, and Nyquist are just the 3 that are closest to reaching that potential. 2nd round, 6th round, and 4th round picks. Their is a much better chance one of those guys turns into an elite player than any of our D prospects. Their is also Ferraro, Nestrasil, Axelsson, Coetzee, and Emmerton who have a chance at becoming at least 2nd liners if they make it.

The Wings should draft a Big D in the first not because it is the BPA, but because we cannot find any players like that later on, while we can find high end forwards anywhere in the draft. It is just basic Supply and Demand.
No, in a word; Heck No in two. I don't know what draft list you have been looking at, but there are plenty of tall defensemen in later rounds in the draft. You want one? Draft Austin Levi, a six-foot-four defenseman for the Plymouth Whalers. You do not waste a good first round pick on a defenseman when the offensive talent in the first round is prodigious.

As for this talk about Kabanov, he's sketchy, and there are definite character issues responsible for this. I don't care what one article says about him, I don't want Dick Axelsson or Grigorenko 2.0 on this team.

That said, if you want a Russian, I have at least two alternatives for you that would fit the Wings very well; Kitsyn and Galiev.

@CanadaRules: I agree with you about Kabanov, but only Kabanov, and this dreck that you are spewing about European players, albeit your opinion, has been disproven time and time again with the Detroit Red Wings. If Konstantinov hadn't been crippled by that accident he would ***** slap or paralyze anyone that said **** about European players. There is no basis for the Canadian views of Euro players, if that really is your preference I suggest you become a fan of the Calgary Flames or any team that Mike Keenan coaches, if he coaches again.

Closed Thread