HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Making Older Games High Definition

Old
04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

vCash: 500
Making Older Games High Definition

Question for anyone in the industry, or just anyone who knows about this kind of stuff. I've been playing some old school RPGs lately, and while still fun, the graphics are painful to look at.

So it got me thinking, how difficult is it to take an old game and make it high def? If the process isn't too costly or time consuming, youi'd think the payoff would be worth it for the company. I imagine they would sell quite a few copies, no? Imagine playing a high def version of Chrono Trigger, Zelda, or FF7

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Put me in as someone who doesn't like HD remakes.
Everything looks like it's cel-shaded.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Clock

vCash: 50
Definitely not a trivial matter, especially considering the probability that you're not looking to JUST bump up resolution.

"HD remakes" generally mean "complete graphical overhauls." So - new models, new textures... it's a large undertaking.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:58 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Kinda depends how old you are talking about and even then it's still case by case. For example you can install a quick mod and make Baldur's Gate run in 1080p. And it doesn't make the graphics look worse at all because the source files are a higher resolution than anyone was really using in the late 90's.

But something like console games, and especially SNES era ones; pretty tough as Clock said.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

FF7 is available on the PC with slightly better fidelity.

Chrono Trigger is available with slightly better fidelity on iPad/3ds/PS1

But yea, you just can't take a game and magically give it better graphics without really good upscale technology, and even that isn't really upgrading the graphics, more like hiding some of the blemishes.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
blue425

I looked into this over last summer. It is a bit pricey.

Go to google and search SNES Scart box.

My guess is youre going to need a scart box (enhances the image), a SNES scart cable (goes from Snes to scart box), and then some HD cables to go from the box to the tv.

That is about the limit of my knowledge here. Good luck.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
HD Chrono Trigger? You're never going to change the amount of pixels those sprites were made out of originally. All you can do is either completely redraw the sprites (at which point it's not a remaster) or apply a lot of really scuzzy looking 'smoothing' options.

The reason why they can "HD" up last gen games is because a lot of them were made at a higher level of quality and then bumped down to work on console, and increasing the resolution for games that are entirely polygonal is relatively easy. Even then, a lot of them end up having some rather scummy looking textures because they were made with a certain amount of pixels.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like it's no small task, which is a shame. I guess I can hope that they make some next generation games in the "old style". Would definitely be kind of cool.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Most emulators have triple-buffering ability. Looks much nicer than most HD remakes.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
HD Chrono Trigger? You're never going to change the amount of pixels those sprites were made out of originally. All you can do is either completely redraw the sprites (at which point it's not a remaster) or apply a lot of really scuzzy looking 'smoothing' options.

The reason why they can "HD" up last gen games is because a lot of them were made at a higher level of quality and then bumped down to work on console, and increasing the resolution for games that are entirely polygonal is relatively easy. Even then, a lot of them end up having some rather scummy looking textures because they were made with a certain amount of pixels.
With HD remakes, they keep the same geometry (the models and polygons), but they up the resolution and the textures resolution to make everything just look substantially better. HD upscales just look horrid if the same SD textures are used.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:19 PM
blue425

Today in the mail I received my Dreamcast VGA cable. Only to find out my televison, which supports VGA, does not support 600x480 resolution. At least at the moment I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

At least I have a monitor..

EDIT: I'm an ass. It works.

Wheatley - Here is an old school RPG for you to play in glorious HD.

You just have to wait a few months.

Last edited by blue425: 04-11-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old
04-12-2013, 01:48 AM
Shareefruck

A bit OT, but I thought the Street Fighter HD remix looked absolutely awful. I generally liked Udon in general, but I thought they did a pretty terrible job, personally.

Seems like I'm alone in thinking that.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 04-12-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Wheatley - Here is an old school RPG for you to play in glorious HD.

You just have to wait a few months.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a PS3

I downloaded a game off the PSN awhile back called 'Rainbow Moon". The story wasn't great but it sure looked pretty. Gives me hope that they'll try something like that in the future but flesh out the story a lot more.

I'm playing "Legend Of Dragoon" right now. Loving it. Bought it for 6 bucks

Old
04-12-2013, 05:38 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a PS3

I downloaded a game off the PSN awhile back called 'Rainbow Moon". The story wasn't great but it sure looked pretty. Gives me hope that they'll try something like that in the future but flesh out the story a lot more.

I'm playing "Legend Of Dragoon" right now. Loving it. Bought it for 6 bucks
That sucks. I'll keep hyping it up till you break down and by a used Genesis and a copy of the re print. Actually what could that be, $50-$70?

Seriously though, Legend of Drgoon for $6? That is a steal and my favorite thing about retro gaming. So inexpensive..

Oh and if anyone cares...Dreamcast on VGA is gorgeous.

Even my wife noticed how much better MDK 2 looked. What a difference a $30 cord makes.

Very glad I decided to get it.