HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues' Free Agents--UFAs & RFAs

Old
03-09-2010, 06:25 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Blues' Free Agents--UFAs & RFAs

Do The Blues sign these guys or not?

I don't think we have a thread for just FAs. We’ve been talking about a lot of this, but in several different threads, so let’s have one thread for FAs.

The reason I started this thread is because David Perron in a RFA and has had a decent year; not spectacular, but definitely decent.

Should Pleau/Armstrong try to extend Perron's contract before the seasons ends?

Does Perron want to comeback? And what is the latest on contract negotiations or have they been temporarily ceased?

Here's a list of UFAs and RFAs:

UFAs & current salary

Paul Kariya ($6.0m)
Keith Tkachuk ($2.55m)
Brad Winchester ($800k)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($1.283̅3)
Daryl Sydor ($1.0m)
Mike Weaver ($800k)
Chris Mason ($3.0m)

RFAs & current salary

Alex Steen ($1.7m)
David Perron ($918. 3̅3k)
Cam Janssen ($550k)
D.J. King ($533. 3̅3k)
Matt D’Agostini ($500k)
Erik Johnson ($3.7m)

(numbers come from CapGeek.com, that website rox)

I want to throw this out there now because the next step is to figure out who’s realistically comin’ to The Blues.

That’s next.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 03-10-2010 at 02:46 PM.
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Do The Blues sign these guys or not?

I don't think we have a thread for just FAs. We’ve been talking about a lot of this, but in several different threads, so let’s have one thread for FAs.

The reason I started this thread is because David Perron in a RFA and has had a decent year; not spectacular, but definitely decent.

Should Pleau/Armstrong try to extend Perron's contract before the seasons ends?

Does Perron want to comeback? And what is the latest on contract negotiations or have they been temporarily ceased?

Here's a list of UFAs and RFAs:

UFAs & current salary

Paul Kariya ($6.0m)
Keith Tkachuk ($2.55m)
Brad Winchester ($800k)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($1.283̅3)
Daryl Sydor ($1.0m)
Mike Weaver ($800k)
Chris Mason ($3.0m)

RFAs & current salary

Alex Steen ($1.7m)
David Perron ($918. 3̅3k)
Cam Janssen ($550k)
D.J. King ($533. 3̅3k)
Matt D’Agostini ($500k)
Erik Johnson ($3.7m)

(numbers come from CapGeek.com, that website rox)

I want to throw this out there now because the next step is to figure out who’s realistically comin’ to The Blues.

That’s next.
Bold= Keep.

That'll leave us with 5.7 Mill in Cap Space(well, added on to whatever our current cap is). If we decide to not sign PK, we'll have about 12 Million. Management just needs to decide if we want to sign one, big name player like Kovalchuk, or a few cheaper, but skilled players. I'm not sure what I want them to do, but I think signing 3 or 4 players would be more effective.

http://capgeek.com/contracts.php
List of UFAs

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 07:28 PM
BackesInBlue

UFAs & current salary

Paul Kariya ($6.0m) <--if he wants to come back for $2.0m then sign him back up
Keith Tkachuk ($2.55m) <--if he doesn't retire he'll be back, maybe a $1.0mil deal?
Brad Winchester ($800k) <--might not be back, not sure on this one
Carlo Colaiacovo ($1.283̅3) <--not coming back
Daryl Sydor ($1.0m) <--not coming back
Mike Weaver ($800k) <-- I'd bring him back, but that depends on what FA we go after
Chris Mason ($3.0m) <--if he wants over $3mil not coming back (but STL will need scramble to find a replacement in that case)

RFAs & current salary

Alex Steen ($1.7m) <-- ya, by all means keep Steen around
David Perron ($918. 3̅3k) <-- DP will be back, can STL get by on a $1.5m type money contract?
Cam Janssen ($550k) <-- I dont think STL carries both Cam and D.J. next season, but for sure one of them will be around
D.J. King ($533. 3̅3k) <-- above
Matt D’Agostini ($500k) <-- STL will keep him around I imagine
Erik Johnson ($3.7m) <-- I hope EJ doesn't expect some $6.0mil type contract, would be nice to lock him up long term on a $5.0mil type though.

IMHO, Perron, Steen, and EJ should be dealt with before the season ends.

I figure the re-signing of Kariya isn't popular, but at $2mil or so I think he'd be worth it, I hope that he wants to stay around with this team because I guarantee someone is going to offer silly money to him.

Tkachuk has earned the right to come back, and I honestly think he won't be asking for much in return.

I like Mason, and wouldn't mind seeing him come back but I can't see paying him a huge sum of money to do so.

BackesInBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 07:28 PM
ibleedblue8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrumBlues View Post
Bold= Keep.

That'll leave us with 5.7 Mill in Cap Space(well, added on to whatever our current cap is). If we decide to not sign PK, we'll have about 12 Million. Management just needs to decide if we want to sign one, big name player like Kovalchuk, or a few cheaper, but skilled players. I'm not sure what I want them to do, but I think signing 3 or 4 players would be more effective.

http://capgeek.com/contracts.php
List of UFAs
If Kariya is resigned it won't be for 6 million again. They would still have significant wiggle room, but guys like EJ and Perron would be more than listed.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue8 View Post
If Kariya is resigned it won't be for 6 million again. They would still have significant wiggle room, but guys like EJ and Perron would be more than listed.
Oh right

Old
03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
ChicagoBlues

Which players The Blues re-sign will depend on which younger players step up and take those roster spots. There’s going to be at least 3 or 4 spots opens.

Alex Pietrangelo is one of those players who will occupy one spot.

Lars Eller may join The Blues, but later in the season me thinks.

The only other player who is close to being ready for NHL action is Jonas Junland, and even he needs another ¾ of a season before he joins the big club.

To me, that means that Armstrong will sign a few free agents. The Blues have tons of assets in training, but few ready now. Next year will be very different.

Old
03-10-2010, 12:51 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'd be a fan of signing Kariya for a 2-2.5M deal.
I'd be pretty happy to have one more year of 4th line Walt for $1M and jettison Winchester.
I'm also in favor of signing Weaver for the 3rd pairing and PK. He's cheap, and does his job with steadiness. Let Pietro replace Colaiacovo and bring Strachan up as the 7th man (alternating with Weaver some times maybe?)

That should leave a decent sum for that one high salary offensive scorer. Who is he? I think they try for Kovalchuk, but I just think the guy has already made a decision of where he wants to go (L.A.) so the deck is stacked against the Blues. After that it gets fuzzy.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:28 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

If they bring Weaver back, it would probably be as the 7th defenseman. They're not going to play him regularly on the left side, which means his best case scenario would be platooning with Pietrangelo on the right.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'd be a fan of signing Kariya for a 2-2.5M deal.
I'd be pretty happy to have one more year of 4th line Walt for $1M and jettison Winchester.
I'm also in favor of signing Weaver for the 3rd pairing and PK. He's cheap, and does his job with steadiness. Let Pietro replace Colaiacovo and bring Strachan up as the 7th man (alternating with Weaver some times maybe?)

That should leave a decent sum for that one high salary offensive scorer. Who is he? I think they try for Kovalchuk, but I just think the guy has already made a decision of where he wants to go (L.A.) so the deck is stacked against the Blues. After that it gets fuzzy.
Theres a few good players out there that we could get for 2-3 million a year, I think we'd benifet from that more so then the one big star.

Old
03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
trublu16

Paul Kariya ($6.0m) <--Not a chance he comes back, he has worn out his welcome. Do you really think he will sign for less than 3 mil per? You are nuts if you think he does.
Keith Tkachuk ($2.55m) <--He will retire. Good luck in retirement big Walt!!
Brad Winchester ($800k) <--Good Bye
Carlo Colaiacovo ($1.283̅3) <--He finds a better situation for himself
Daryl Sydor ($1.0m) <--Retirement
Mike Weaver ($800k) <-- I would want him back with the understanding that he is the bridge to get Petro up to speed.
Chris Mason ($3.0m) <--I think it is time for the Blues to finally go and get the true #1 netminder. Pay the price and get one on the younger side.

RFAs & current salary

Alex Steen ($1.7m) <-- Resign
David Perron ($918. 3̅3k) <-- Let him see what he can get on the market. If no one signs him to an offer sheet. Sign him to a 1.5-2 mil contract. Starting to wonder about if the potential is always going to be there, and he has no idea how to get to it.
Cam Janssen ($550k) <-- Cam or King, choose 1.
D.J. King ($533. 3̅3k) <-- Same as CJ.
Matt D’Agostini ($500k) <-- Didn't understand this trade, so resign him and send to peoria. So we can find out what he is. I really think he is playing on the wrong type of line in St. Louis.
Erik Johnson ($3.7m) <-- No brainer, resign him long term.

And with the continuation of the horrible individual play of Brewer. Find out if there is some way to get him off this team. Rather see Petro or another rookie make the same mistakes has he has been.

But overall, the play of the team is not that far off from being a serious contender. Top line scorer, Kovy, and a true #1 goaltender.

Eventually we will have to take a plunge into the FA pool. And I think that Kovy is that type of talent. And for the ones that are worried about signing all the young kids to there 2nd contracts. Here is something to think about. We will not see or keep every player that is drafted by this team.

Built up the assets to get the players you need to win the Stanley Cup!!!

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:47 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
Paul Kariya ($6.0m) <--Not a chance he comes back, he has worn out his welcome. Do you really think he will sign for less than 3 mil per? You are nuts if you think he does.
Keith Tkachuk ($2.55m) <--He will retire. Good luck in retirement big Walt!!
Brad Winchester ($800k) <--Good Bye
Carlo Colaiacovo ($1.283̅3) <--He finds a better situation for himself
Daryl Sydor ($1.0m) <--Retirement
Mike Weaver ($800k) <-- I would want him back with the understanding that he is the bridge to get Petro up to speed.
Chris Mason ($3.0m) <--I think it is time for the Blues to finally go and get the true #1 netminder. Pay the price and get one on the younger side.

RFAs & current salary

Alex Steen ($1.7m) <-- Resign
David Perron ($918. 3̅3k) <-- Let him see what he can get on the market. If no one signs him to an offer sheet. Sign him to a 1.5-2 mil contract. Starting to wonder about if the potential is always going to be there, and he has no idea how to get to it.
Cam Janssen ($550k) <-- Cam or King, choose 1.
D.J. King ($533. 3̅3k) <-- Same as CJ.
Matt D’Agostini ($500k) <-- Didn't understand this trade, so resign him and send to peoria. So we can find out what he is. I really think he is playing on the wrong type of line in St. Louis.
Erik Johnson ($3.7m) <-- No brainer, resign him long term.

And with the continuation of the horrible individual play of Brewer. Find out if there is some way to get him off this team. Rather see Petro or another rookie make the same mistakes has he has been.

But overall, the play of the team is not that far off from being a serious contender. Top line scorer, Kovy, and a true #1 goaltender.

Eventually we will have to take a plunge into the FA pool. And I think that Kovy is that type of talent. And for the ones that are worried about signing all the young kids to there 2nd contracts. Here is something to think about. We will not see or keep every player that is drafted by this team.

Built up the assets to get the players you need to win the Stanley Cup!!!
I agree with all of this except I would like for us to re-sign Tkachuk if he chooses not to retire. I'd say sign him for about $1 million and give him 3rd/4th line minutes like we have been this year.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
ChicagoBlues

On defense, we can count out Sydor and probably Cola, so that leaves two slots open that will be filled by Pietro and Strachan.

IMO, Brewer and Jackman are staying with The Blues through next season and Weaver get resigned.

The most unclear picture is among the forwards, management will have to get a couple FAs to fill out the roster because none of the forward are ready for full-time NHL duty. Not even Eller. He's the closest, but not quite ready.

Old
03-10-2010, 05:20 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
How much and at what term does everyone think we will sign Steen at?

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 06:31 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

3 years 2.5 million? I'd be pretty happy with that. I think he's got a good potential to play at a value far above his next contract. He's not nearly the wreck Toronto made him out to be. He's a key contributor going forward, albeit not in a purely offensive role as so many Leafs fans seemed to project him.

Old
03-10-2010, 07:02 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
3 years 2.5 million? I'd be pretty happy with that. I think he's got a good potential to play at a value far above his next contract. He's not nearly the wreck Toronto made him out to be. He's a key contributor going forward, albeit not in a purely offensive role as so many Leafs fans seemed to project him.
That sounds reasonable. It's real hard to complain about keeping Steen and McClement together. Ok, maybe at 4million I would...

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 07:47 PM
SteenMachine

I'm really warming up to having Weaver around for the youth mentor thing. He has to use his hockey IQ to really make himself noticeable on the ice, but at the same time that might be what a guy like Pietrangelo or Junland needs to learn from. Smart defensive plays that can shift the play back up the ice; instead of just shot angles and reading the play just long enough to break up the pass but not clear the puck. (the things I see our vets really struggling with, including forwards)

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

I dont think any of the RFAs are going anywhere, maybe one of King or Janssen.

As for all of the UFAs, I dont think any of them are a definite to come back. Mason is probably the most likely, but he is getting pretty old, and it will be deep market for goaltending. If Walt wants another year, Id bring him back. Id also love to bring Weaver back, but I think he deserves a to be an everyday player somewhere. With Junland and Pietrangelo being ready in the near future, I dont know if he would get that opportunity here.

Carlo is too redundant with Pietrangelo/Junland. Winchester hasnt built on his scoring from last year. Kariya is gonna get paid, I dont think he will sign for 2-2.5 like some are saying here. Not going to blame the guy either, as it may be his last contract ever. I figure Sydor is done.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Blues0307

As much as I like Walt as a person and a leader, I think it's time for him to retire. Next year it will be time for some of the young guys to take over the locker room and assert themselves.

I think Steen will get 3 years, at between $2mm-$2.2mm/yr.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
ChicagoBlues

@trublu16:

I've wondered the same thing about Perron's real skill level and have come to the conclusion that he is just toying with us and management. I think he is waiting for when it is really time to pour it on. I don't like it, but his skills are disgusting and he knows it.

He'll get resigned before July 1 and will blow our ****ing minds next season.

Stop playing around Perron and put those skills to use. Pour it on NOW!!!!

Old
03-11-2010, 04:58 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
@trublu16:

I've wondered the same thing about Perron's real skill level and have come to the conclusion that he is just toying with us and management. I think he is waiting for when it is really time to pour it on. I don't like it, but his skills are disgusting and he knows it.

He'll get resigned before July 1 and will blow our ****ing minds next season.

Stop playing around Perron and put those skills to use. Pour it on NOW!!!!
I really do hope you are correct about Perry. But I just don't see it happening. I see that he needs to find new scenery before putting everything together.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 07:40 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
I really do hope you are correct about Perry. But I just don't see it happening. I see that he needs to find new scenery before putting everything together.
I hope I'm right. It's partly wishful thinking.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:04 AM
ibleedblue8

Evgeni Nabokov is scheduled to become a free agent. I would love for the Blues to go after him. What are everybody's thoughts about this. He is 35 years old, but is an elite goalie. The Blues have lots of cap room and hopefully in wouldnt require more than a couple years to sign him.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:31 AM
blue bleeder 24-7

I posted this over at the assylum, but here's my budget for the Blues.

Yes, I do realize there's a new name on the list. No, I'm not going to apologize for it.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:00 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Swap out Junland or Strachan for Weaver and I could see this. I don't believe Kovalchuk is going to be giving the Blues a fair shake, but maybe JD can really woo him.

Old
03-12-2010, 01:08 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue8 View Post
Evgeni Nabokov is scheduled to become a free agent. I would love for the Blues to go after him. What are everybody's thoughts about this. He is 35 years old, but is an elite goalie. The Blues have lots of cap room and hopefully in wouldnt require more than a couple years to sign him.
I really don't like Nabakov, he;s good in the regular season but when it comes to pressure games, he's pretty bad. He's part of the reason SJ chokes every playoffs and look at his game against Canada. He doesn't step up his game when he needs to. I remember one game, I think it was a game against Calgary in game 7 a few years ago he let in 2 goals on 9 shots. That's just unacceptable for a stanley cup contender in a game 7.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote