Notices

"The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men . . . ."

Old
03-11-2010, 06:15 PM
ericnut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
I don't think you are the only one who blame the players.

Some like Eric are very pro Murray and anti Carlyle

Some like Dirk are very pro Carlyle and anti Murray.

I tend to blame everyone. There is no doubt the players are to blame. They are always to blame, they are the ones playing the games. However, I think everyone sees that firing Murray or Carlyle is the least messy move at this point.

My issue with Murray is we clearly need another top 4 defenseman and number 2 center(koivu is a good number 3 IMO) we have two 1st round picks to get something like that done. I am giving him the offseason to prove he is a solid GM, if he doesn't get it done I will be on Dirk's side and call for his job.

My worry with Carlyle is he has lost the players. He is a hell of a coach(everyone *****ing about the constant line shuffle as a reason to fire him clearly don't follow any other coach in the NHL). The last two years we have underachieved in my mind. Granted this was masked a bit because of the push we made in last years playoffs. But to me our underachievement has much more to do with the core players lackluster play than Carlyle as a coach.

What do you do? Trade away the core? Obviously no.

That is where the frustration lies. Where do we go from here?
Huh?

This is the first time I have come out and said the Ducks should fire Carlyle and I gave my reasons as to why.

1. Sent the 4th line on the ice with ~6 minutes to go in the game and down by two.

2. Refused to send the #1 line out against Pahlsson's line until they scored.

3. He can not motivate the team.

Murray has done a decent job as the GM. I do not think he is the problem.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Varius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
What do you do? Trade away the core? Obviously no.

That is where the frustration lies. Where do we go from here?
It's likely too late to pull this off now, while a tiny hope remains, but in one of the past losses (say the PHX game) after the Olympic break, I would have benched the entire RPG line for a full third period to send them the message.

They would either respond the next game, or if they don't, then you look at making a coaching change.

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Kick Save

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
the title is pretty melodramatic

it's not some amazing team, it's not some horrible team, it's just a pretty decent team with a decent coach and gm who just is having a bad year. it happens, it sucks, but we'll bounce back. couldn't hurt to change coaches just to get more of an offensive style going and some fresh blood. you gotta change coaches every now and again.
It wasn't my intention to be "melodramatic". I pretty much agree with almost everything you've said. That was my point: sometimes, things like this just "happen". It's hard to say that not firing the coach, not firing the GM, signing Koivu, trading Pronger or any of the other "problems" cited by various posters is the "cause" of this team not making the Playoffs (which, at this time, is pretty much a foregone conclusion).

I think the biggest mystery is why, after Murray made some very good Trade Deadline moves, this team just "died". Nobody could have foreseen that the Ducks, a team that is accustomed to coming on like gangbusters towards the end of the season---and making the playoffs---suddenly couldn't earn a point to save their lives. Not to mention that most of the losses were just plain embarassing.

Kick Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Huh?

This is the first time I have come out and said the Ducks should fire Carlyle and I gave my reasons as to why.

1. Sent the 4th line on the ice with ~6 minutes to go in the game and down by two.

2. Refused to send the #1 line out against Pahlsson's line until they scored.

3. He can not motivate the team.

Murray has done a decent job as the GM. I do not think he is the problem.
Oh ok my mistake then. I have been known to be wrong before, but only three times before. This will be the forth I guess.

The first two points you make don't really hold much merit. They are single game focused. If you wanted to say you think he manages a game poorly that is one thing. But what you claim is totally different.

The third one I will agree with and it is what concerns me most with this team.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

On paper this team is definitely a playoff team, but unmotivated, sloppy play has killed all hope. The Nashville game wasn't horrible, those games are going to happen, but what's killed the team has been their play since the break. Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, etc... have all looked unmotivated and tired.

It's hard to fault Murray or Carlyle though.

Murray did a great job at the deadline. He made an amazing trade and added a decent top 4 guy in Ward (he's played well in that role). The big mistake Murray made was that he didn't address the defense in the offseason. I said before the season started that if he didn't address the defense more that we'd struggle to make the playoffs, and here we are in that scenario. He addressed the defense when there was no time to develop chemistry or have any bad games.

Carlyle is a tougher situation. His system has worked in the past and it's got us a cup, but there's definite flaws with it. Our team spends half their shifts trying to get the puck back after dumping it in. The team has sucked this season, but with out a 4th decent top 4, it's not suprising. Still though, our team should have played better. That said, can you blame a coach for players playing lazy?

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:41 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Carlyle's system is a matchup-dependent defensively-sound system. Murray did all he could to solidify our defense, but they were gambles. Carlyle did not have the proper defense corps to work with to properly implement his system. It's a combination of both, but something has to budge.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:45 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

oops...wrong thead

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote