HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will they replace the coach?

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2004, 11:23 PM
db23

vCash: 500
Will they replace the coach?

I think that Gainey must have realized after watching the team against Tampa Bay that they need a full scale rebuild before they can compete for the Cup. Personally I don't think that Julien is the man he wants to trust the team with.l I think it is bye, bye Claude, and hello Dougie Jarvis. It is hard for me to envision Julien being able to motivate a team. He looks like someone's maiden aunt.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
No way, CJ is here to stay imho. The team has done very well this season, and CJ just doesnt get enough credit.

Plus knowbody knows our rookies like CJ!!

Old
04-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Traitor8

I would be very surprised and disapointed if they don't give Julien at least another shot next season.

He does sometimes annoy me: Souray playing..Perreault benched..Bulis on 1st.Ryder on 3rd..Garon in after Theodore Shutout...

but he gets the team ready, he doesn't lose his composure. And if your not gonna bring him back..please not Jarvis! I am tired of Rookie coaches.. Queenville..Martin..Robinson..Demers are available..

Old
04-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Legend06

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
I think that Gainey must have realized after watching the team against Tampa Bay that they need a full scale rebuild before they can compete for the Cup. Personally I don't think that Julien is the man he wants to trust the team with.l I think it is bye, bye Claude, and hello Dougie Jarvis. It is hard for me to envision Julien being able to motivate a team. He looks like someone's maiden aunt.
I think the discussion of replacing CJ is really silly considering his aptitude to develop young players which we have an abundance of....

He turned this team that was predictated to finish by most in the bottom 4-5 of the league into a second round playoff team....they gained immense experience ...and will only be better the next time....

Old
04-29-2004, 11:34 PM
HFXMooseHabs

Why would you get rid of a guy who coached his team to a 40 win season, 90+ points, and the second round? Considering few thought the Habs would make the playoffs (And TSN had them ranked 14th in the East just above Pittsburgh at the beginning of the year) I'd say he's worthy of another season.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Cladue Julien(despite my hate for him) did a good job with the Habs, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
Cladue Julien(despite my hate for him) did a good job with the Habs, if it aint broke don't fix it.

There is no way he is fired. He did a good job.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
There is no way he is fired. He did a good job.
which is exactly what I said...I think...

Old
04-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Beakermania*

[QUOTE=SSJTOM]which is exactly what I said...I think...[/QUO

Well I agreed with you.

Old
04-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
which is exactly what I said...I think...
Well I agreed with you.
I had a long day I don't know what's going on anymore

OH NOES! Quote inside Teh Quote!

Old
04-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Artyukhin*

ya ..fire a coach who got ya to the 2nd round with a team that wasnt projected to make the playoffs...

you must understand jullien 1 st full year behind him he is no longer a "rookie" coach..i know he had 25 games the year before but i dont count them...

all in all im more than pleased with our coach..

thankyou claude jullien great job..next year will be even more exciting!!!!

think about it...we went farther than the sens ,canucks,bruins..right?...
hell colorado is on the brink off elimination...look at there roster...some great teams exited before us...

again great season guys..im happy with the results...hopefully next year the bounces go our way

Old
04-30-2004, 12:24 AM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
ya ..fire a coach who got ya to the 2nd round with a team that wasnt projected to make the playoffs...

you must understand jullien 1 st full year behind him he is no longer a "rookie" coach..i know he had 25 games the year before but i dont count them...

all in all im more than pleased with our coach..

thankyou claude jullien great job..next year will be even more exciting!!!!

think about it...we went farther than the sens ,canucks,bruins..right?...
hell colorado is on the brink off elimination...look at there roster...some great teams exited before us...

again great season guys..im happy with the results...hopefully next year the bounces go our way
the way he coaches gets to me sometimes too but hes a rookie coach that got us 92pts this season, he benched ribiero in november and ribiero went on to lead the team in scoring this year, he coached us to a comeback from a 1-3 deficit(something no other canadiens coach has done) and after the koivu - ribiero incident, he got us on the winning path again.

i think he deserves another chance.

Old
04-30-2004, 06:26 AM
All-Star

Quote:
It is hard for me to envision Julien being able to motivate a team.

You should try actually watching hockey sometime... This was a team almost everyone expected to finish 13th in the East, and Julien brought them to the second round of the playoffs; how's that for motivational skills? He did all that while he was in his rookie season. If Gainey doesn't keep him for at least another season, he's a complete moron.

Old
04-30-2004, 06:51 AM
mcphee

Pierre McGuire, whose knowledge I defer to,states that while Julien wasn't known to fans before now, he was known to everyone in the hockey world and that his hiring was a big step in fixing what has been wrong with the team. He made some mistakes, I think that their sityational play has to improve, though I don't know for sure whether that's coaching or players. I think we finally have a bright young coach that would get a job somewhere else if he was to leave. A good thread may be to list what we feel makes up a good coach. Frankly, if you want to get right down to it, CJ has more head coaching experience than Jarvis.

Old
04-30-2004, 06:59 AM
Guig

Quote:
I totally disagree. CJ bring this team to the playoff.

Old
04-30-2004, 07:02 AM
Dragon

I don't like Julien, I don't think he can win us a cup, I think we'll have to replace him before we win the cup.

However, he is here to stay next season. Maybe you think we'll even do better with another coach this year BUT he has done a good job this season. He deserve at least another shot no matter you like or hate him. You have to admit he led the team to exceed ANY reasonable expectation.

Old
04-30-2004, 07:16 AM
markov`

Quote:
Are you joking? I'm sorry, but you are pathetic.

Old
04-30-2004, 07:19 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
We weren't sopposed to even make the playoffs and you get fired for not winning the cup? Man you people sure don't seem to understand life let alone hockey. If you work for a company and they expect to have losses in the third quarter and you make profit, you get fired for not making enough?

Old
04-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
Bring in Larry Robinson!

Old
04-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Canadianteamfan

I like CJ but i think the fact that Jacques Martin is Free will possibly make Bob Gainey think about him or at least ask him if he is interrested.CJ is good with young player but how about Jacques Martin.

Old
04-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianteamfan
I like CJ but i think the fact that Jacques Martin is Free will possibly make Bob Gainey think about him or at least ask him if he is interrested.CJ is good with young player but how about Jacques Martin.
Quite honestly, I would rather keep Julien.

Old
04-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Habsfunk

Julien is a great coach. He's been a winner at every level he's coached at so far and took this years team farther than anyone expected. Talk of firing him is just silly at this point. Yes, he made some mistakes but I'm sure even Scotty Bowman has done some poor line juggling or has blown a last minute lead at least a couple of times.

Old
04-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Estimated_Prophet

What a ridiculous thread :mad:

How can anyone blame Julien for facing a hot goalie and for having a goaltender who only showed up for 3 of 11 playoff games.

The fact is that Montreal dominated Boston in 5 of 7 games and should have won in 5 if Theodore even played mediocre for the 1st 5 games. In the Tampa series Montreal deserved to have at least a split of the 1st four games but Khabibulin clearly outclassed Theodore in every game.

This team has shown that they are currently good enough to compete deep into the playoffs and if anything should be looked at I beleive it should be our 2 primadonnas (Theodore, Ribeiro and their sidekick Dagenais) as they could use some of the competitiveness and leadership that their arch enemies (Rivet and Koivu) seem to ooze.

Personally I would like to see Theodore and Ribeiro traded for a veteran 2 way center or draft picks. We can always replace Theodore with a steady veteran goaltender who could mentor Garon and wouldn't a UFA center such as Nylander look great on the 2nd line!

Old
04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
NWT Habs Fan

CJ is the man. He brought in a solid system, he cut down our shots against big time, he brought in responsibility and accountability for the players, and he has the team playing like a team again. This should really come as a shock to anyone based on how he has succeeded at the CHL, AHL and World Juniors level. More importantly, the players like and trust him. They play for him. The same cannot be said about our last coach.

So, I tip my hat to CJ who has done a great job this season, there is pride and respect back for those that wear the CH once again.

Old
04-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Everyone here, can make a statement that Julien did an excellent job with the team this season.

But like I said in a previous thread, he also didn't show that he can adapt his coaching during a game. He consistently stay with the same lines during the game.

Another sign of weakness is that he's coaching with favorites & non-favorities, instead of playing with the hot player of the day. An example is Yanick Perreault, sure he's not a guy that you can rely for 82 games but if the guy shows some heart & desire during a game, why not play him & add some ice time ?

That's the kind of thing that I didn't like about Julien. He reminds me a lot Tony Granato. He can do well if you look at the long run (regular season) but when you look at some specific time that he needs to make some decisions, he seems to be outplayed, outcoach by the other team's coach.

I remind you , that it's just my opinion to be discuss, there's no need to make personnal attacks if you dont like my comments.

Closed Thread