HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#66: Bruins @ Flyers - March 11, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
leighton has been pulled in what 2 of the last 4 or 5 games. As i said when the d doesnt play well in front of him he isnt capable nor has the talent to overcome a bad defensive game.

i start boucher tomorrow.
I agree actually. Not only has Boucher been getting the short end of the stick with everything nowadays (he gets credited for Leighton's losses and barely ever gets to play), but he needs starts if he's going to be ready for the playoffs. We can't rid Leighton all year long and for the entire playoffs.

Although we could start Boucher Sunday instead. Either/or.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Kaktus*

Why would anyone compare Detroit team in 90th to the current Flyers. Such a joke of an example..

P.S Osgood was good when he had to be and looked average on average teams.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Why would anyone compare Detroit team in 90th to the current Flyers. Such a joke of an example..

P.S Osgood was good when he had to be and looked average on average teams.
He looked average on Detroit.

They got rid of him (in his prime) for a few years for a reason.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:48 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah, Cechmanek ran himself out of town...and then out of the NHL.
i dont buy that for 1 second. how did he run himself out of town?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
i dont buy that for 1 second. how did he run himself out of town?
By being an anti-social introvert that didn't get along with anyone, and then having the entire team turn on him.

Now, that isn't indictment of what he was ****ing about, because that team had a host of issues...but he didn't handle it properly, and it was time to move on as a team. He also got his ass kicked off a SEL team since then, and isn't in the NHL for a reason.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
He looked average on Detroit.

They got rid of him (in his prime) for a few years for a reason.
Fine whatever.. His so called average is still better then anything or anyone we had in teh net since 97. So I am not even sure why he was used as an example.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Fine whatever.. His so called average is still better then anything or anyone we had in teh net since 97. So I am not even sure why he was used as an example.
Cechmanek played significantly better than him, IMO. Biron is just as good as Osgood, if not better.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:56 AM
jb**

Quote:
By being an anti-social introvert that didn't get along with anyone, and then having the entire team turn on him.

Now, that isn't indictment of what he was ****ing about, because that team had a host of issues...but he didn't handle it properly, and it was time to move on as a team. He also got his ass kicked off a SEL team since then, and isn't in the NHL for a reason.
primeau and some of the others didnt like being called out in that ottawa game (big pansies), i for one had no problem with that at all. Primeau does that he is a great leader or what not. after that seaoosn i can confirm 99% Primeau went to he gm and asked them to move checko and things were said that are not 100% accurate.

He left the nhl because he didnt want to play here anymore. Wasnt because no team wanted him. The bototm line is winning and they socred any goals they wouldnt have cared about his antics. they needed a scapegoat and found 2.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:58 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Cechmanek was a product of Hitchcock's system.
I personally never trusted him at all. The guy always gave up bad goals at bad times.
I lost count the amount of times the Flyers would outshoot someone 40-17 and the Flyers would lose 4-2.
I could give a rats ass about that nice shiny GAA and save % he had. He gave up killer goals. ALL THE ****ING TIME.. Then he had a meltdown in a playoff series. Guy needed to **** and do his job. Of course he didnt do that and we all know what happened. He went to LA and they got rid of him after a short time.
Whats he doing now? who the hell cares.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 03-12-2010 at 12:09 PM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:01 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
1st goal: Krajicek pinches, Hartnell and Carter screw up, leads to a 3 on 1. Not Timonen's or Leighton's fault for hanging them out to dry.

2nd goal: 4 players collapse WAY too much, and leave Bruins players wide open to move right to center to left. No one there to try and stop the shot, and Bruins find the open man. Not Leighton.

3rd goal: If you want to argue rebounding ability of Leighton, that's fine. Coburn could have done something to clear it out. But Bergeron broke free from Parent and sat there with his thumb up his ass. If Parent kept Bergeron, no goal, and it's cleared out. Not Leighton.

4th goal: Timonen pinches to puck carrier, while a man's already on him, and leave Krajci wide open. Timonen, not Leighton.

5th goal: Bergeron undresses Pronger, Carle as a 2 on 1 to cover while backchecking, goes after puck, Sturm wide open up close. No goalie could have stopped that.

My tally:

0 goals are Leighton's/Boucher's fault.

5 goals due to ****** defensive work (being the ENTIRE TEAM).
Yeah but some goalie can win a game, even when the D under performs. A guy like Vokoun faces the most shots against in the league, and he doesnt let that stop him from winning (I did not want to pay the price for Vokoun, just an example)

To be a starting goalie in the NHL, you should have to ability to win a game for your team when they are outplayed. Leighton will never do that. He only plays well when the team plays well

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
primeau and some of the others didnt like being called out in that ottawa game (big pansies), i for one had no problem with that at all. Primeau does that he is a great leader or what not. after that seaoosn i can confirm 99% Primeau went to he gm and asked them to move checko and things were said that are not 100% accurate.
You are exactly right. Do not forget JR, Rico and Recchi were on our team too too. That team embarrassed them selfs and Chechko was one man show. Chechko and Fedotenko.

I argue this same point with Jester 3 years ago. I see his opinion did not change lol
Quote:
Cechmanek played significantly better than him, IMO. Biron is just as good as Osgood, if not better.
Chechko was excellent in his rookie year. 10 SO matched Hexie (i think). One year means nothing.

Jester, you have to stop it with Biron. Biron is a back up, always was. You just like his personality. Something that he is famous for, he is a very likeable guy but so is ozzie.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:10 PM
HoverCarle*

Biron is still better than Boucher or Leighton, who are both backups

Old
03-12-2010, 12:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Guess the amount of playoff series Osgood played in with St.Louis and the Islanders.

Osgood save percentage was .887 and .890 the last 2 seasons with the Redwings.
Just sayin.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Guess the amount of playoff series Osgood played in with St.Louis and the Islanders.
Guess how many times Leighton let in 4 goals or more when not on the flyers?

Old
03-12-2010, 12:15 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
To be a starting goalie in the NHL, you should have to ability to win a game for your team when they are outplayed. Leighton will never do that. He only plays well when the team plays well
Yep. The defense was at fault for a lot of the goals, it's not like I think Leighton should have stopped them all, but there was something he could have done of a few of them. Watching him go down into butterfly way way too early on the 2nd goal and then not being able to move laterally to square up to Recchi's shot (which happened quick but Leighton looked awful even trying) and then leaving the rebound out in front on the 3rd goal was bad.

A starting NHL goalie might not always stop both of those chances, but they would at least do the right things technically to give themselves a chance. I was hoping initally some of this was rust from Leighton, but the weak parts of his game are limitations of the style he plays. We can still win plenty of games with him as our goalie if the defense plays at the level they were before the break, but just watching the Bruins continually forecheck last night even as their lead was up to 3 and 4 goals showed that they can afford to be aggressive because they're confident in their goaltender. The Flyers don't have that luxury.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
primeau and some of the others didnt like being called out in that ottawa game (big pansies), i for one had no problem with that at all.
Well, unfortunately how you felt about it/him was kind of irrelevant to the dynamic within that room.

Quote:
Primeau does that he is a great leader or what not. after that seaoosn i can confirm 99% Primeau went to he gm and asked them to move checko and things were said that are not 100% accurate.
I'm sure pretty much everyone on the team wanted him gone...they also dealt Boucher because he was the one that instigated the public spectacle of dragging Barber across the mat.

Quote:
He left the nhl because he didnt want to play here anymore. Wasnt because no team wanted him. The bototm line is winning and they socred any goals they wouldnt have cared about his antics. they needed a scapegoat and found 2.
No one wanted him in the NHL...and then he got dumped by a SEL team because of his attitude. It wasn't just a problem here. Guy was an odd bird, and a bit of a dick...

Quote:
Cechmanek was a product of Hitchcock's system.
I personally never trusted him at all. The guy always gave up bad goals at bad times.
I lost count the amount of times the Flyers would outshoot someone 40-17 and the Flyers would lose 4-2.
I could give a rats ass about that nice shiny GAA and save % he had. He gave up killer goals. ALL THE ****ING TIME.. Then he had a meltdown in a playoff series. Guy needed to **** and do his job. Of course he didnt do that and we all know what happened. He went to LA and they got rid of him after a short time.
Whats he doing now? who the hell cares.
Well, then you'll have to come up with an explanation for why he did quite well under Bill Barber's idiotic tutelage as well. Cechmanek only played one of his three seasons here under Hitch.

Cechmanek was an unorthodox goalie with some holes that could be exploited by scouting and adjustments...but he played extremely well here, and was not a problem in 2 of the 3 playoff appearances.

Quote:
You are exactly right. Do not forget JR, Rico and Recchi were on our team too too. That team embarrassed them selfs and Chechko was one man show. Chechko and Fedotenko.
Barber also embarrassed himself as a coach, which is why he's never had another coaching job.

Quote:
I argue this same point with Jester 3 years ago. I see his opinion did not change lol
You were wrong then...still wrong now...yet to see a reason to change my opinion. Mostly because you have a loose familiarity with factual reality.

Quote:
Chechko was excellent in his rookie year. 10 SO matched Hexie (i think). One year means nothing.
Erm...Cechmanek put together three consecutive .920+ seasons (.921, .921, and .925) and compiled a 92-43-22 record. He was excellent for us for three years.

So, you're right...one season might mean nothing, but certainly three does mean something?

Quote:
Jester, you have to stop it with Biron. Biron is a back up, always was. You just like his personality. Something that he is famous for, he is a very likeable guy but so is ozzie.
Well, at least you're continuing to say bluntly false statements.

Biron played in 72, 54, and 52 games in consecutive seasons in Buffalo after the Hasek era and before the Miller era, and compiled more than respectable numbers. He's been a regular in the NHL for 10 seasons, and been his teams starter for 5 of those seasons.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Kaktus*

Only Flyers fans can compare Osgood to Biron and/or Cechmanek and keep straight faces..

I am not making any friends here with this statement.. but I do not give a ****..

Old
03-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Only Flyers fans can compare Osgood to Biron and/or Cechmanek and keep straight faces..

I am not making any friends here with this statement.. but I do not give a ****..

Only Flyer fans...can compare NHL goalies...to NHL goalies.

Excellent logic there.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Well, then you'll have to come up with an explanation for why he did quite well under Bill Barber's idiotic tutelage as well. Cechmanek only played one of his three seasons here under Hitch.

Cechmanek was an unorthodox goalie with some holes that could be exploited by scouting and adjustments...but he played extremely well here, and was not a problem in 2 of the 3 playoff appearances.[/I][/B]
ok, I stand corrected on when Cechmanek was here. That said he usually made me nervous when the game was on the line. I dont care what his save percentage was. Or his record for that matter.

Old
03-12-2010, 01:01 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
2001-2 on a bad Buffalo team: .915 (15th ranked SVPCT was .907)
2002-3 on a bad Buffalo team: .908 (15th ranked SVPCT was .912)
2003-4 on a so-so Buffalo team: .913 (15th ranked SVPCT was .917 that year)
Were those Marty's numbers?

For the record, I really, really like Biron. I still give the advantage to Osgood, though.

I'd still take Marty back, though.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Only Flyer fans...can compare NHL goalies...to NHL goalies.

Excellent logic there.
Back ups.. get it right.. BACK UPS!!

Old
03-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Were those Marty's numbers?

For the record, I really, really like Biron. I still give the advantage to Osgood, though.

I'd still take Marty back, though.
I think if it's Biron that is drafted by Detroit, as opposed to Osgood...you have a different opinion on the matter.

Quote:
ok, I stand corrected on when Cechmanek was here. That said he usually made me nervous when the game was on the line. I dont care what his save percentage was. Or his record for that matter.
He was unorthodox, and all over the place...that's for sure, but he did get the job done.

Quote:
Back ups.. get it right.. BACK UPS!!
Back ups...playing goaltender...in the NHL. Ya know, the same friggin position. And, that's without getting into the definition of a backup...which apparently is problematic for you. Your view of Biron as merely a back up is your opinion...it is devoid of any attachment to a reality in which Biron has been a starter for two different teams, and for 5 combined seasons.

Cechmanek didn't play a single season in the NHL as a backup, and put up excellent numbers...as a starter.

Old
03-12-2010, 01:22 PM
JSTAFF

I'm glad I aborted this argument. Sorry to leave you solo, Jester. I know Kaktus is too much too much to handle sometimes.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:35 PM
jb**

Quote:
Well, unfortunately how you felt about it/him was kind of irrelevant to the dynamic within that room.

I'm sure pretty much everyone on the team wanted him gone...they also dealt Boucher because he was the one that instigated the public spectacle of dragging Barber across the mat.

[/I][/B]
not true at all that everyone wanted him gone, not even close really. you choose to belive what you want. this comes from someone, not me, who covers the nhl that told me this.

Old
03-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
not true at all that everyone wanted him gone, not even close really. you choose to belive what you want. this comes from someone, not me, who covers the nhl that told me this.
Timmeh P!?!?

The team, as a group, was shooting pucks at his head in warm ups. I'm sure there are some guys that didn't mind Cechko personally, but it appeared the vast majority had had enough of him...and away he went...to be replaced by a complete mess in goal (that was the Hackett, Burke, and Esche year).

He then got kicked off a team in the SEL...

So, not only did he have problems here in Philly...he got kicked off a team in the middle of the season in Europe.

I'm sorry, there's more evidence backing up my belief system than some mystery dude that covers the NHL being cited as a source.