HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The actual problem with this team is defense.

Old
03-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Axxion89

vCash: 500
In regards to my last post:

Sanguinetti was the last 1st round draft pick (Besides Staal) that will probably end in a bust. I feel that he could have been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. Not all of Sathers drafting has been terrible as you pointed out with Cally and Dubi but his first rounders have sucked

And for the Rosival cap hit, i was not aware of that but still, I don't mind him but at 5 million, he can be traded and I would not mind

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Yeah and all of those guys were thought to be sure things by the teams that had them at the time.

Hate to be a downer because I hope the kid turns out great, but McD got traded for a reason. As much as everyone wants to think Sather truly ripped off Gainey, McD had fallen out of favor with the Habs leadership. HF's prospect report even said that if I remember correctly.

Also, do you watch every Wisconsin game? Do you watch McD every single night? I am not trying to start ****, I just want to know how you "know" that he is more steady and safer than the reining Hobey Baker winner...
I've watched a few games and there are a few reliable posters here who watch every Wisconsin game and have had nothing but great reviews for him.

And I don't see how Leopold and Liles were anything close to sure things.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
XLJ

The rangers need to get rid of Redden and Rozsival salary if they want to improve there defense. They need to buy out or send Redden to Hartford. And even though the last couple of months Rozsival has done a decent job he is still way overpaid. They can probably trade him in the offseason.

They should really try to sign Volchenkov. He is the type of defensemen the rangers are missing. They pair him with Staal and the rangers have a legitimate shut down top pair. You bring in an elite defensemen like Volchenkov it will be much easier to fill in the 2nd and 3rd pairings and build a good defense unit.

Girardi would be a solid number 4-6 type defensemen. But like some have mentioned he isn't a great fit in Torts system. If they dont trade him next year they need to reduce his minutes he is playing in over his head right now.

Last edited by XLJ: 03-10-2010 at 11:19 PM.
XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
well I won't defend this teams train-wreck of a defense (and the teams' forwards are a part of that), this is the 6th worst scoring team in the league.

it's shocking to me that the playoffs are even a remote possibility still, as this team is a mess.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
The rangers need to get rid of Redden and Rozsival salary if they want to improve there defense. They need to buy out or send Redden to Hartford. And even though the last couple of months Rozsival has done a decent job he is still way overpaid. They can probably trade him in the offseason.

They should really try to sign Volchenkov. He is the type of defensemen the rangers are missing. They pair him with Staal and the rangers have a legitimate shut down top pair. You bring in an elite defensemen like Volchenkov it will be much easier to fill in the 2nd and 3rd pairings and build a good defense unit.

Girardi would be a solid number 4-6 type defensemen. But like some have mentioned he isn't a great fit in Torts system. If they dont trade him next year they need to reduce his minutes he is playing in over his head right now.
that's the big issue for me. Torts is using him to match up against the big LWs in the East out of necessity.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:21 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I've watched a few games and there are a few reliable posters here who watch every Wisconsin game and have had nothing but great reviews for him.
Fair enough...but its still circumstantial proof.

Quote:
And I don't see how Leopold and Liles were anything close to sure things.
Granted you are probably right about these two. But I still think McD needs more time. Some of your guys are way too willing to throw 20 and 21 year olds to the wolves in the NHL...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:22 PM
NHLhockey1234

Here is how our season went.

First 15 games:

Offensive XPLOSION. Defense so so.

Next 20-30 games: Defense good, got by the nails of our fingers, little good offense here and there
Next 10 games: good defense, good offense
Uptil the playoffs prediction: OFFENSE FAIL, Defense Fail.

I honestly think this team has self destructed completely in terms of chemistry, team cohesiveness, and everything else.

I think Tort's bootcamp kept everyone in tip top shape for the first 20 games, then it wore off and players started getting tired and less motivated. And then the Tortorella games began, with benching, excessive yelling, etc, and loss of team chemistry. Had Kots and Higgins produced, we'd be in an entirely different ball game.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:22 PM
dtrap

Quote:

How much do you honestly think Volchenkov is going to cost on the open market? I can tell you...it will cost just as much as Rozy.

Old
03-10-2010, 11:30 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Fair enough...but its still circumstantial proof.

Granted you are probably right about these two. But I still think McD needs more time. Some of your guys are way too willing to throw 20 and 21 year olds to the wolves in the NHL...
I'm not saying he's ready for the NHL. Hell, he may never be. But it's unfair to write him off right now just because of Matt Gilroy. Let the guy get a fair opportunity in training camp. Based on you logic Del Zotto shouldn't have gotten a shot to jump straight from the OHL to the NHL this year because Sanguinetti couldn't pull it off.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:31 PM
dtrap

Quote:
I'm not saying he's ready for the NHL. Hell, he may never be. But it's unfair to write him off right now just because of Matt Gilroy. Let the guy get a fair opportunity in training camp. Based on you logic Del Zotto shouldn't have gotten a shot to jump straight from the OHL to the NHL this year because Sanguinetti couldn't pull it off.
Oh I'm not writing him off AT ALL. I just think he needs a year in the AHL. I was just using Matt Gilroy as an example...not comparing him to Matt Gilroy at all. I guess it might have come across that way. I see where you are coming from.

Old
03-10-2010, 11:38 PM
XLJ

Quote:
How much do you honestly think Volchenkov is going to cost on the open market? I can tell you...it will cost just as much as Rozy.

I thinking around 4.5-4.75 million a year for Volchenkov. If it does get to 5.5-6.5 million like Rozy or Redden I probably wouldn't want to sign him. Maybe try to sign Hamhuis instead.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:43 PM
dtrap

Quote:
I thinking around 4.5-4.75 million a year for Volchenkov. If it does get to 5.5-6.5 million like Rozy or Redden I probably wouldn't want to sign him. Maybe try to sign Hamhuis instead.
I just think with the way d-men have been getting overpaid in the last few years the same thing is going to happen with him.

Old
03-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

the actual problem with the team is we all want a top 3 pick yet we're going to get a pick in the 13-17 range.

**** Our Lives

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:48 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Alrightee then. Get it done. Get rid of slowfoot.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:00 AM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
And if this is the case (which it is) then you have to face reality; we're not going anywhere with a defense this young, so stop trying to build a contender around them.

I'm not upset about that fact that the Rangers are poised to not make the playoffs; what pisses me off is the lack of direction this team has. If the Rangers were destined to finish 10-12 in the conference but there was a distinct plan to take it slow and build for 2012 and beyond then fine, but management can't "stress patience" because of a young crop of players and then sign older players to risky contracts.
absolutely. although going off-topic for a minute to focus on the offense, i think rangers can make an exception for a guy like kovy in july.

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:03 AM
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
absolutely. although going off-topic for a minute to focus on the offense, i think rangers can make an exception for a guy like kovy in july.
Not at all. This team is nowhere good enough to be tied up in ANOTHER huge contract. If you turn Redden and Olli into Kovy you are still wrapping up all that money in one guy. You then set yourself back even further in putting together a well built team.

If we were really close...then year you break the bank on the guy. But right now we are no where deep enough to put all that money into one guy.

Old
03-11-2010, 12:03 AM
PanMan

I agree with the problem proposed in this thread, the defence needs a complete overhaul. We have too many young guys or prospects that are going to take a while to develop and are going to suck for the next few years if things stay the course. We can't bring more guys up next year and have too many young/inexperienced guys without solid veterans on the team.

What we need to do is make some trades. We need to trade some guys like Sangs/McD/Gilroy/Girardi or some forward prospects/young guys for established young players. If rumours were true about getting Johnson at the deadline, I think we should explore that. Let's face it, we have a bunch of prospects that will be "good" players, but nobody that's going to be a legit 1st pair defenceman or 1st line forward. You have to make some trades at this point. I'm not saying trade everyone because they all suck, but you have to bring in 1 or 2 really good young players with all the prospects we have. Let's face it, if everyone develops to their potential, we'll have a similar team because there's no elite talent. We need some of that and let's face it, it won't get handed to us in the draft this year or any other year (i.e. top 5 pick).

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:11 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I disagree. All it takes is one sick find at forward in the draft and one sick find on D.

Neil Smith did it with Zubov and Kovalev.

They already have Del Z and Staal on D.

For forwards, I believe Anisimov will continue to improve and be a top 6 guy, and hopefully one of Grachev, Kreider, Stepan, and whoever they get this year can be another one.

Maybe it's Nino, maybe it's Kabanov, maybe Carl Hagelin becomes the 2nd coming of Jari Kurri and maybe Roman Horak is that guy but who knows. But keep developing good to VERY good talent, hopefully something amazing comes the way via draft, and then sprinkle it all with a complimentary free agent here and there that has a defined role.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:14 AM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Not at all. This team is nowhere good enough to be tied up in ANOTHER huge contract. If you turn Redden and Olli into Kovy you are still wrapping up all that money in one guy. You then set yourself back even further in putting together a well built team.

If we were really close...then year you break the bank on the guy. But right now we are no where deep enough to put all that money into one guy.
i hear ya and believe me that your way is the one to go, but there won't be another premiere FA out there like kovy for a while. i won't mind building the team around him and gabby. they're just going to have to bring guys up slowly and work them in and you'd hope a finished product on offense would look somewhat like this:

kovy-steps-gabby
kreider-AA-nino(hopefully)
dubi-werek-cally

and on D:

staal-MDZ
McD-sangs
gilroy-potter/sauer

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:22 AM
PanMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I disagree. All it takes is one sick find at forward in the draft and one sick find on D.

Neil Smith did it with Zubov and Kovalev.

They already have Del Z and Staal on D.

For forwards, I believe Anisimov will continue to improve and be a top 6 guy, and hopefully one of Grachev, Kreider, Stepan, and whoever they get this year can be another one.

Maybe it's Nino, maybe it's Kabanov, maybe Carl Hagelin becomes the 2nd coming of Jari Kurri and maybe Roman Horak is that guy but who knows. But keep developing good to VERY good talent, hopefully something amazing comes the way via draft, and then sprinkle it all with a complimentary free agent here and there that has a defined role.
Maybe you're right, but I might go for the established talent depending on the asking price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
i hear ya and believe me that your way is the one to go, but there won't be another premiere FA out there like kovy for a while. i won't mind building the team around him and gabby. they're just going to have to bring guys up slowly and work them in and you'd hope a finished product on offense would look somewhat like this:

kovy-steps-gabby
kreider-AA-nino(hopefully)
dubi-werek-cally

and on D:

staal-MDZ
McD-sangs
gilroy-potter/sauer

We can't ice that D. If you're getting Gaborik and Kovalchuk, you'll need more experience on defence or you're just wasting your time. If you can get a more experienced D then it might work.

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:44 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Our blueline is the worst combination of too young, too soft and too lazy.

I'll give Gilroy and Del Z a pass because they must be freakin tired for rooks having to hold down the fort.

Renny was indeed a MUCH BETTER equipped teacher of the game. His systems were anemic offensively but they were sound in their own end and managed to at least be competitive.

That said Torts did alot of cleaning house and got rid of a lot of sound defensive players that were HELPING this team to at least be competitive last season

I get why they did it. Guys like Betts and Freddie Sjo never scored... but these guys dont really score either and they suck at defense too so here we are about to miss the playoffs....

F

03-11-2010, 12:45 AM
trilobyte

Zubov and Kovalev were very special talents.

Marc Staal and Michael Del Zotto cannot even be mentioned in the same breath, let's face it. Time will tell, both of these guys are good and will improve, but the comparison to Zubov and Kovalev is the definition of exaggeration.
Many teams have done much much better with their 'sick finds'.
So far, that is.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:46 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
That's not Staals game, he's a steady Dman that takes the play away from opponents but he's not a huge hitter. Yet.

Think Brooks Orpik, someone that consistently initiates hard hits.

I think Henrik is a winner, and a winner might stick around through hard times. That more gratifying when they do win
i think with staals size he needs to add the hitting dimension to his game. a guy his size it should be expected that he throws his body around. i'll meet you half way and say he at least needs to be more physical.

i honestly think with henrik its only a matter of time. unless there are drastic changes with the team i dont see why he would want to stay here. if this were his contract year i think he would be gone.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:48 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

What they should do is ANYTHING they can to bring Lidstrom to NY next year. It won't win them the cup, but it would be very good for the development of this youthful blue line.

I'm going to pack another bowl and think this over....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Last year we were complaining that the team was playing "not to lose" and the mantra going forward this year was "playing to win".

Neither worked.

Time to shoot the architect.

This team is ****ed.

AMEN.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote