HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles Kings @ Chicago Blackhawks 03/10/10

Old
03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
KingsRule

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
phoenix and colorado are one hit wonders, they'll make the playoffs this year but not next year, does that remind you of any 2 teams from last year? Oh ya, Columbus and St. Louis

Columbus=Colorado

Steve Mason was great last year, one of the main reasons they made the playoffs, I can say the same thing about Craig Anderson.

Phoenix and Colorado '09-10 = Columbus and St. Louis '08-'09
yea and people could say the exact same thing about us. Quick has gotten us this far...

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:57 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Nah, Dean Lombardi has built the Kings the proper way, the way that Chicago, Pittsburgh and Washington were built. Can you say the same about Colorado or Phoenix? Did any of you honestly expect those 2 teams to be in the middle of a playoff race? Nope, but I did expect LA to be. Colorado should still be in the middle of a rebuild and once Craig Anderson starts playing poorly, their ship will start sinking, Jon Quick is young, he still has lots of years between the pipes with the Kings.

Phoenix's team won't even be in Phoenix much longer, they should be in the middle of a rebuild too, but I can guarantee you that both those teams won't make the playoffs next year

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Nah, Dean Lombardi has built the Kings the proper way, the way that Chicago, Pittsburgh and Washington were built. Can you say the same about Colorado or Phoenix? Did any of you honestly expect those 2 teams to be in the middle of a playoff race? Nope, but I did expect LA to be. Colorado should still be in the middle of a rebuild and once Craig Anderson starts playing poorly, their ship will start sinking, Jon Quick is young, he still has lots of years between the pipes with the Kings.

Phoenix's team won't even be in Phoenix much longer, they should be in the middle of a rebuild too, but I can guarantee you that both those teams won't make the playoffs next year
At the beginning of the season I certainly thought in my mind that Phoenix and Colorado were not as bad as their previous season's records indicated. With Phoenix getting Tippet, I thought for sure they would at least be in the hunt for a playoff spot. To me, Colorado is a bigger suprise, but I actually thought they were a good goalie away from having a decent team this time last year.

But really, are the Kings that different? I'm not asking this as a note of contention, simply an honest question, because we don't know for sure, and next season could really end up going badly. Our team isn't THAT different from last season's roster. We added Smyth and Scuderi (well, Williams too). Those guys have been solid to be sure, but it's basically the same team. Quick has been solid, but Anderson has had the better season.

Does the success of the Kings rest on Quick's shoulders? A great deal yes, and if he starts playing poorly, we're doomed. Do I think he will play poorly? Probably not, but goaltending can be a fickle thing, and I certainly wouldn't make any huge bets either way.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:16 AM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
game day baby=Bernier call up?
DL has said since the Kings only have 3 call ups left that there is not a big chance Bernier will get called up. It could happen if Quick gets hurt and they can use an emergency call up. I don't think your wife/gf giving birth counts as an emergency.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:28 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Murray's post-game comments seem to indicate he wasn't too pleased with Jones jumping into the play on the last goal.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:38 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
At the beginning of the season I certainly thought in my mind that Phoenix and Colorado were not as bad as their previous season's records indicated. With Phoenix getting Tippet, I thought for sure they would at least be in the hunt for a playoff spot. To me, Colorado is a bigger suprise, but I actually thought they were a good goalie away from having a decent team this time last year.

But really, are the Kings that different? I'm not asking this as a note of contention, simply an honest question, because we don't know for sure, and next season could really end up going badly. Our team isn't THAT different from last season's roster. We added Smyth and Scuderi (well, Williams too). Those guys have been solid to be sure, but it's basically the same team. Quick has been solid, but Anderson has had the better season.

Does the success of the Kings rest on Quick's shoulders? A great deal yes, and if he starts playing poorly, we're doomed. Do I think he will play poorly? Probably not, but goaltending can be a fickle thing, and I certainly wouldn't make any huge bets either way.
we'll be different next year when we get Ilya Kovalchuk

'nuff said

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:39 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhander View Post
that's good advice...now how are you with the power play. u can take Kompon's job...wait, doesn't matter just take the job
I'm trying to understand that. I keep hearing about Kompon, and how bad the Kings PP is. They're 6th in the NHL, 80% into the season. Either people unrealistically want absolute perfection, or they're just not looking at the stats. While I would love to see that improve, I can't really complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k7 View Post
one d-man jumping up -- ok. two? WTF?

i didn't catch who made the rushes up ice live but i still was thinking "i bet one of them is randy f'in jones". what a shocker that i turned out to be right!

bad play by richie compounded by an awful read by our defensemen. jones was awful all night. it's pretty easy to see why he's the scapegoat.
For all the suckage I attribute to Jones, I'm still not blaming him for that one play. 4 on 4's not the same as 5 on 5. The play was clearly flowing back to the Chicago zone. BR's mis-play was just mind-blowing.

Quote:
Yes, applies to the Kings and every other team in the NHL. If you lose your goaltending, you're toast. Doesn't matter if you're Washington or Edmonton.

Finally, Doughty. Are we really going to get on the guy for losing the puck deep in the offensive zone? Really? Doughty at his absolute worst is always going to be 100% better than Jones at his best.

Last edited by SLang: 03-11-2010 at 10:48 AM.
SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
we'll be different next year when we get Ilya Kovalchuk

'nuff said
teehee

Old
03-11-2010, 11:19 AM
kingpest19

Quote:

Does the success of the Kings rest on Quick's shoulders?
A great deal yes, and if he starts playing poorly, we're doomed. Do I think he will play poorly? Probably not, but goaltending can be a fickle thing, and I certainly wouldn't make any huge bets either way.
According to some Quick is just an average goalie and all his success is because of the Kings and the system the play.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
According to some Quick is just an average goalie and all his success is because of the Kings and the system the play.
Well, his numbers would support that. His numbers directly compared to most other goalies, he's certainly not elite. He does play a ton of games though and sees almost more shots than anyone. But really, any goalie has to play at least somewhat well for the team to have success. If Quick started giving up bad goals everygame, the team would start losing more often than not, despite how well the team in front of him played. The same goes for the team though, if they don't play well, Quick isn't going to single handedly win everygame. Quick plays well enough for us to be a highly competitive team, and that's all we can ask at this point. He's got the ability to steal one every now and then, and as long as he can do that consistently (unlike what we've seen from Mason, Price, many young goalies), he's an excellent goaltender in my mind.

Old
03-11-2010, 12:16 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
... Actually Quick has made a lot of progress in the recent stretch of games before and after the break, and his numbers have become above average in most respects.

The league average save percentage is .908. Quick's is .909.
The league average save percentage in shootouts is .679. Quick's is .714.

A lot gets made of Quick's win total, but wins are a team number. The Kings, like any young team, are inconsistent -- but they have a very good offense, 7th in the NHL -- and that offense is responsible for just as many wins (if not more) as Quick. The Kings shooting percentage in the shootout is also 7th in the NHL, so again Quick must share the credit with the team around him.

At the end of it all, I still think Quick is overrated and clearly a notch below almost all of the other playoff goalies in the West (Luongo, Nabokov, Anderson, Bryzgalov, Kiprusoff), but he's only 24 and there's real potential for him to get in that elite class as he enters the prime of his career. I also still think he's being played too often -- regardless of his physical break during the Olympic games, the mental pressure of being in almost every game this season will almost certainly backfire on him. We'll just have to see how it shakes down in the playoffs.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Murray's post-game comments seem to indicate he wasn't too pleased with Jones jumping into the play on the last goal.
I guess we will see if thats just talk if DD44 starts next game. For the life of me, I have no idea why Jones gets the ice time he does when DD44 is waiting in the wings to get his spot/ice time back.

What ever happenend to that concept of not losing your spot due to injury?

DD44>>>>>>>Jones every day of the year, and on leap day too!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I guess we will see if thats just talk if DD44 starts next game. For the life of me, I have no idea why Jones gets the ice time he does when DD44 is waiting in the wings to get his spot/ice time back.

What ever happenend to that concept of not losing your spot due to injury?

DD44>>>>>>>Jones every day of the year, and on leap day too!
Drewiske did play after his injury. He was horrible, replaced by Jones and hasn't seen the light of day since.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:07 PM
jmichael7753

Quote:
phoenix and colorado are one hit wonders, they'll make the playoffs this year but not next year, does that remind you of any 2 teams from last year? Oh ya, Columbus and St. Louis

Columbus=Colorado

Steve Mason was great last year, one of the main reasons they made the playoffs, I can say the same thing about Craig Anderson.

Phoenix and Colorado '09-10 = Columbus and St. Louis '08-'09
Your the kind of fan that makes hockey look bad you know that right.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Shellz

I can't believe I missed Brownie fight

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
I can't believe I missed Brownie fight
I wouldn't call it much of a fight. He basically just grappled, absorbed some punches to the shoulder, and fell to the ground. It was nice seeing him stick up for his teammates though.

Old
03-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Shellz

Quote:
I wouldn't call it much of a fight. He basically just grappled, absorbed some punches to the shoulder, and fell to the ground. It was nice seeing him stick up for his teammates though.
Yeah, I you tubed it. That's the most important thing though being a captain is sticking up for your teammates at the right moment and that was it. He isn't a fighter at all. But, I could careless.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Never thought I would type this, but I would rather see Harrold on defense than Jones and Drewiske.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:43 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Never thought I would type this, but I would rather see Harrold on defense than Jones and Drewiske.
... I thought Harrold was damn solid in the last several games he played. I'd like seeing him in there again.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:30 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Actually Quick has made a lot of progress in the recent stretch of games before and after the break, and his numbers have become above average in most respects.

A lot gets made of Quick's win total, but wins are a team number. The Kings, like any young team, are inconsistent -- but they have a very good offense, 7th in the NHL -- and that offense is responsible for just as many wins (if not more) as Quick. The Kings shooting percentage in the shootout is also 7th in the NHL, so again Quick must share the credit with the team around him.

At the end of it all, I still think Quick is overrated and clearly a notch below almost all of the other playoff goalies in the West (Luongo, Nabokov, Anderson, Bryzgalov, Kiprusoff), but he's only 24 and there's real potential for him to get in that elite class as he enters the prime of his career. I also still think he's being played too often -- regardless of his physical break during the Olympic games, the mental pressure of being in almost every game this season will almost certainly backfire on him. We'll just have to see how it shakes down in the playoffs.
Wasn't it kinda like that with Hrudey and Potvin? Not spectacular goalies, but good enough to keep the Kings in the game while the Kings offense for the most part handed them most of the wins?

Keep in mind, I really didn't actually get into watching the games until the Potvin years and he seemed a bit above average but nothing amazing.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Hollywood

Quote:

Very good post!. Fair as well. I agree with most if not all.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:28 AM
SLang

The question is, WHY is Jones in? I know he got a few goals early in his Kings "career", but lately, there's been not much offense, and NO defense. What is it?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:38 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
The question is, WHY is Jones in? I know he got a few goals early in his Kings "career", but lately, there's been not much offense, and NO defense. What is it?
One of the things I've noticed over this season and last is that fans are usually pretty dead on when it comes to predicting forward line combos for upcoming games and what TM ultimately goes with. It's really surprising how many times fans get it right. Someone has a bad game, fans suggest a change and TM goes with that same change - often. It's pretty impressive.

On the D side? We're awful at it. Not even close. It's almost impossible to predict defensive pairings and who will play. Every time it seems so obvious that someone should sit... he's out there. I'm not sure what TM is seeing that most of us are missing. Everyone seems to believe Jones should sit, but out he goes.

So long as the team keeps winning far more than they are losing, TM can put big bird out there for all I care.

Tomorrow is a big game. We win and we stay in the thick of the race for 4th. We lose and suddenly it tightens up a bit. The gap between the Kings and 9th has been 9 points for quite some time. It sits at 7 as of tonight with the Kings having 1 game in hand. They need to keep that cushion at 9 if they want to keep pace for 4th in the conference.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Small Brain Presence

Well, is it his wife or his girlfriend or both that is giving birth?

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:31 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
... I thought Harrold was damn solid in the last several games he played. I'd like seeing him in there again.
Me 2.

But I also think Whiskey deserves another crack. He got what, one game, coming off a month long injury and then got immediately benched. Meanwhile, Jones has bad game after bad game with two solid efforts sandwiched in between the many layers of suck and keeps getting major ice time.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote