HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

L'il Marty St. Louis is a Diver.

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 10:31 AM
David

vCash: 500
L'il Marty St. Louis is a Diver.

As much as has been made out of the acting of Ribeiro and even Markov to some degree, but Martin St. Louis did one better than both to give Lightning their second goal. Give the guy an Oscar 'cos he was barely even knicked but he put on such a display of diving Magnum Opus that it would have made Greg Louganis proud!!! The main difference between Ribs and St. Louis' in this area is that Ribeiro obviously needs to take some acting lessons. All I have to say is that even in this discipline, St. Louis is blowing Rib's out of the water!

I have to agree with Duthy. John Tortorella does look exactly like Arthur Fonzerelli...crossed with Splinter from Teen Aged Mutant Ninja Turtles. Fonzie's team has to get some credit for the fast paced game that they play. The players, esp. their forwards do everything at such high speed that if one of the CH players relaxes for a second, it comes back to bite them. Case in point, Soursay's lackadasical cross ice pass to Cory Stillman on the power play that almost let to the first goal. (Sheldon, take a note from Raymond Bourque who used to preach, firm passes, firm shots, everything must be firm!) Then his over compensation by being overly aggressive and letting Stillman take off again to score this time. Then again with Komisarik's lackadaisical pass that cost CH the game. These are just a few of the more obvious cases where Lightning just out hustled Montreal...really too bad because Montreal out hustled and out played Lightning for the majority of the game but as soon as someone got a little lazy for even a split second, Lightning capitalized. Kudos to them.

Koivu was very good even if his name didn't appear on the score sheet. He started playing more north and south game that translates better against this run and gun system of Tampa bay than his usual shifty, side to side slippery game that worked so well against slower neanderthals from Boston. And boy, does he see the ice so well!!!...and react so quickly and positively to surprises that jump out at him on the ice. Perfect example is how he passed back out to the point from the mad scramble in the front of Khabby instead of the more natural selection of taking a back handed shot which would have proven ineffective since it has to go over all those bodies.

Richard Zednik has had a lot of chances, but it's clear that his talent level is not that of a Koivu or Kovalev, who would most likely have finished a lot of the same chances. He's still working hard and that's all we can ask.

Boy, Kovalev's talent was ever visible last night. In a stark contrast even to the high talent of Koivu who is always moving and doing everything at such a hight speed, Kovalev was just on a different level of talent. You can see that his eyes and brains are processing the info at such a high rate that he doesn't need to waste any excess movement on handling/fighting for the puck! As a result, it almost looks like he's in slow motion a lot of the time!!! I wonder how it would feel like to be so blessed with God given talent!?!?

Souray was just plain bad. He wasn't hitting, was making bad decisions, was being sloppy and was the main reason Montreal lost. He did receive unfair penalty (extra 2 after the scrum) or even unfair extra penalties (officiating seems extra bad and biased...just an observation because regardless of fair or not, we must play through them) but he has become a major liability out there that Lightning seems to exploit and thrive on. He was the direct result of over playing on the power play and being out of position for Stillman's goal. It looked like Richards' shot from the point ricocheted off of his leg and went in on the second goal and it was Souray's body tangled up with a Lightning body that the puck went in OT. What can I say? Probably the two worst days of Souray's hockey career...but hey, he gets paid millions of dollars and gets to go home to that Baywatch Babe, right? So I can't feel all that bad for him.

Why Bob Gainey didn't get a D-man, I can't say, but with Souray the way he is, we sure could have used someone like Sean Hill just about yesterday.

Theodore has to play better. Granted that some of these goals were difficult ones, great goalies save those when the game is on the line. Ken Dryden did it. Grant Fuhr did it. Patrick Whasisname did it. ...but Theodore did not do this when he needed to. IF Theo is gonna prove himself worthy of some of the great goalies from the past and eventually take CH to the Cup, he has to start doing this...

Riberiro is just taking up space. Ryder played a pretty consistant game.

Going into the final minutes of the 3rd period, I was thinking to myself "Who would have thought that Rivet would be the most steady defenseman for Montreal?"...this was about 3 minutes before Lecavalier's between the leg redirection. As for Komisarik, I was thinking that he was exceptional in the game...until his little gaffe in OT. Andre Markov was flawless except that he was on the ice for the tying goal....what more can I say about that?

I think that Bulis was the best player out there. No one hustled more and was getting better chances than Jan...once again, too bad that God didn't bless him with soft hands...he was a good element to the top line and his play was impressive to say the least...but only if he could score...I realize that Begin didn't get a lot of ice time, but he's not being the physical and energizing difference that he was in the Boston series.

Dowd has done everything asked of him and more since coming over from Minnessota!!! I was thinking that Dowd's pickup has to rank right up there with Kovalev's...perhaps even higher!!! This guy hustles and works his a$$ off on every shift! It's obvious that he doesn't have the natural goal scoring talents that some of the others have and just ends up taking slap shots from 20 feet out to end his rushes but gotta love this guy...complete with his late 70's hair and all! What a sly and savvy veteran move when he was pushed into Khabby. Did you see the way he kept on going and piled on top of him...then as he was getting back up, he took a look around to see that the refs weren't watching and then fell on Khabby again, giving him an elbow noogy? Admittedly crossing the line a bit but this threw Khabby off his game for a bit and it was the reason why there was a quick goal for CH soon after.

It was pretty obvious from last night that Coach Julien has solved the puzzle that is the Lightning system. It's now just matter of execution on the parts of the players. Julien has done a remarkable job so far in my opinion.

After the game, I heard all these rhetoric about how they still have to win 4 games to win the series from Ribeiro and Souray, etc. It just sounded pathetic coming from these guys at the time...but then I realized that these words probably did not originate from these guys...instead, it sounds like something that Saku would have said. It sounded like something that Claude Julien would have said. It sounded like something that Jim Dowd may have said....and I realized that with character guys like Koivu and Dowd leading this team, it may be pre-mature to pack it in...because there is still hockey left to be played!

The night was long and the morning is dragging its feet but there is a ray of light starting to shine. Once and if the CH is eliminated, it's gonna be a while before there is hockey again. So the players can just pack it in at this time, all disgraced in front of their loving fans or come back for at least one win on Thursday. And if they win that one, who knows how many more they can win, 'cos all indication is that Montreal is the better team based on last night's play. Just get your bums in front of Khabby and let the wall crumble because if we don't do it, I'm sure some other team will knock down the Bulin wall...history says that it WILL tumble...might as well be CH that does it!!!

Last edited by David: 04-28-2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old
04-28-2004, 11:03 AM
jcpenny

For the St Louis comments, c'mon dude we are not like the Boston fans.

Old
04-28-2004, 11:04 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
???? ... You wanted to say not like all other fans in the NHL, right?

Old
04-28-2004, 02:51 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
'C'mon dude', I respect Boston fans for the most part...they're long suffering and faithful even though their cheapskate ownership has treated them like crap for the last 30 years! They are worthy supporters of a worthy opponent (Hero can only be as good as the villian they say...)

Not all but for the most part, my contact with Tampa fans have proven them to be rather hockey ignorant, Rah, Rah, Go team kind of bandwagon jumpers...

Old
04-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Not all but for the most part, my contact with Tampa fans have proven them to be rather hockey ignorant, Rah, Rah, Go team kind of bandwagon jumpers...
Speaking of hockey ignorance, how about a "Marty St.Louis is a Diver" comment to put things in perspective. If that kid really wanted to dive, he'd have picked one of the many muggings he had early in the game to augment your statement. This is almost as bad as the "Marty St.Louis is a cherry picker" comments. Give it a rest please.

Old
04-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
Speaking of hockey ignorance, how about a "Marty St.Louis is a Diver" comment to put things in perspective. If that kid really wanted to dive, he'd have picked one of the many muggings he had early in the game to augment your statement. This is almost as bad as the "Marty St.Louis is a cherry picker" comments. Give it a rest please.
I am still debating inside myself which comment is the most outrageous and the jury is still out on it. Regarding Marty if anything he gets far too LITTLE respect and is virtually hooked,slashed, crosschecked on every shift and hardly ever gets a call on it.

Just too bad this serie is seeing some officiating that dont follow the guidelines that Van Hellemond sent out ( that gave Forsberg a couple goalie interference penalties) and in this serie those calls have not came thru as they should per the guideline sent out from the leagues officiating office

Old
04-28-2004, 04:45 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
"Marty St.Louis is a Diver" If that kid really wanted to dive

He wouldn't have far to go to do so. :lol

Old
04-28-2004, 04:49 PM
HF-Addict

Looked to me like Marty was falling on the ice a lot to dodge hits...(see Dowd/Koivu? highlights) Is that what we call dive or the dive is after the hit?

Old
04-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
One thing I can't stand, the penalty of Sundstrom...what the hell, St.Louis is about 5-7 and he was of balance and his face was about three feets of the ice then Sundstrom tried to tie him up and he just found his face...It's Ironic.

Old
04-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
I've been following the team since '92 and so have others on this board and other Lightning boards. Some of us are FAR from bandwagoners and know our hockey.

Old
04-29-2004, 08:52 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict
Looked to me like Marty was falling on the ice a lot to dodge hits...(see Dowd/Koivu? highlights) Is that what we call dive or the dive is after the hit?
The Dive in question is the embellishment he did when barely clipped by a stick in the second to earn a powerplay. He waited a split second and snapped his head back and dropped in pain as if hit by a sniper!!!...and all this because Louis was smart enough to recognize that Referee Kovarski (?) was close enough to see the reaction, but had NOT seen the actual infraction!!! And of course, like an idiot, the ref fell for it...And thus, earning Louis the Oscar...

Whereas, Ribeiro isn't even smart enough to know how to draw a penalty...instead that shamefully bad acting...thus the Razzies...

Old
04-29-2004, 08:59 AM
David

Quote:
Settle down there, son...what's with this hyper active sensitivity?

If you have ever read my views before, you'll see that I am the biggest proponent of skill over size and as such, I have utmost respect for any guy that can not only compete but excel as an 5'7" midget in a world of 6'5" neanderthals...but he is what he is...no more no less...a diver by name and a cherry picker by trade...although it looks like Julien had neutralized his cherry picking tendencies last game.

OT: Montreal needs to keep hitting this guy. He proved ineffective in game 3 when being hit and only slowly got around to playing his game later when the hitting let up...I mean even that talented SOB Theo Fleury who could take a pounding from the best of them, would have a quiet night if hit a few times early in the game...St. Louis doesn't have the talent of Fleury...nor does he have the heart of Fleury...and he's definitly not tougher than Fleury!!! Keep hitting him and Lecavalier without sacrificing positional hockey and we'll do all right!

Last edited by David: 04-29-2004 at 09:44 AM.
Old
04-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Settle down there, son...what's with this hyper active sensitivity?

He is what he is...no more no less...a diver by name and a cherry picker by trade...although it looks like Julien had neutralized his cherry picking last game.
His name is Martin St-Louis.

Old
04-29-2004, 09:49 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
... but he is what he is...no more no less...a diver by name and a cherry picker by trade...although it looks like Julien had neutralized his cherry picking tendencies last game.

St. Louis doesn't have the talent of Fleury...nor does he have the heart of Fleury...and he's definitly not tougher than Fleury!!!
Oh, c'mon. Just admit it: You've never seen Martin St. Louis play hockey before this series, have you?

Old
04-29-2004, 10:23 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
Oh, c'mon. Just admit it: You've never seen Martin St. Louis play hockey before this series, have you?
How about since his junior days sound to you?

Now, Oh, c'mon admit it: You've never even heard of Martin St. Louis before he came over from Calgary, have you?

Not only that, you've only just heard about Theo Fleury havent' you?

Old
04-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Darkseeker

Send a message via ICQ to Darkseeker Send a message via MSN to Darkseeker
Quote:

Now, Oh, c'mon admit it: You've never even heard of Martin St. Louis before he came over from Calgary, have you?

Not only that, you've only just heard about Theo Fleury havent' you?

Old
04-29-2004, 11:26 AM
The n00b King ©*

let the cheap shots begin!!!

i was thinking, mayhaps u are a real fan, amongst the faithful other 5...i can believe that. but dont tell me that 19 000 people are real fans, theres no way im gonna believe that. did u watch the game on tuesday? did u ever HEAR anything as loud as the habs fan? no cuz its only in habs land that the fans are so loud. Im not doubting that youre team is good, but they are not as good as u think they are. (hell maybe the habs either...) only time will tell. but ive definitely noticed that the bolts have a lot of a tougher time to play the game once the hitting reallyl starts up. i still got faith, and i wont give up until its completely over. we owned the bolts in the last game, and we should of won. but what is done is done. looks to me that the boston scenario is ready to repeat itself, that would be oh sooooo sweet!!!

Old
04-29-2004, 12:02 PM
GoBolts

Quote:
Wow. Very impressive. Which junior team did he play for again?

Old
04-29-2004, 01:24 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBolts
Wow. Very impressive. Which junior team did he play for again?
Tsk, tsk...what a shame...

Old
04-29-2004, 01:28 PM
tritone

Quote:
LOL. why bother dude?

Old
04-29-2004, 01:36 PM
GoBolts

Quote:
No, I'm serious, David. I have great respect for the vast majority of Canadiens fans who post here and come over to the Lightning board. And I don't want to get into an argument with those fans, who I respect and whose team I respect. But when someone professes to have information I don't know, such as which junior team Martin St. Louis played for, and puts that in a context so as to insult the intelligence of a fellow Lightning poster that I respect, I'm going to call that person on the carpet.

So, David, since you've followed St. Louis for so long, which junior team did he play for, and has he been diving like this his whole hockey career?

Old
04-29-2004, 01:48 PM
mcphee

I know he played college at UVM, the great state of Vermont, which I've often that we should annex.

Old
04-29-2004, 02:23 PM
habitual_hab

A summary of the career of M. St. Louis. Couldn't find where he went to diving school, though...

2003-04 Tampa Bay NHL
2002-03 Tampa Bay NHL
2001-02 Tampa Bay NHL
2000-01 Tampa Bay NHL
1999-00 Calgary NHL
Saint John AHL
1998-99 Calgary NHL
Saint John AHL
1997-98 Saint John AHL
Cleveland IHL
1996-97 Vermont ECAC
1995-96 Vermont ECAC
1994-95 Vermont ECAC
1993-94 Vermont ECAC
1992-93 Hawkesbury OCJHL
1991-92 Laval QAAA

http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/player.cgi?0669

Old
04-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Darkseeker

Send a message via ICQ to Darkseeker Send a message via MSN to Darkseeker
didnt he play for rimouski?

Old
04-29-2004, 02:35 PM
habitual_hab

I guess it's Lecavalier who played in Rimouski.

1997-98 Rimouski QMJHL
1996-97 Rimouski QMJHL

http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/player.cgi?1627

Lecavalier is part of a large Quebec contingent on the Lightning that has added spice to the series between the 12-year-old Tampa Bay franchise and the storied Canadiens, holders of a record 24 Stanley Cups.

Martin St. Louis, the NHL scoring leader, and his childhood friend, fourth-liner Eric Perrin, are from suburban Laval, Que.

Tough guy Andre Roy is another Quebecer, while centre Brad Richards of Murray Harbour, P.E.I., played junior hockey with Lecavalier in Rimouski, Que. Defenceman Dan Boyle is from Ottawa.

Most grew up dreaming of playing for the Canadiens.

When he was drafted first overall in 1998, the six-foot-four Lecavalier was often compared to the rangy Jean Beliveau, one of the Canadiens' all-time greats and his father's favourite player. Lecavalier wears Beliveau's No. 4.

St. Louis wears No. 26 like his favourite Canadien as a child, Mats Naslund.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...NStory/Sports/

Closed Thread