HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help me explain edges to my buddy

Old
03-10-2010, 04:13 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

vCash: 500
Help me explain edges to my buddy

I'm trying to get my buddy into my league, and he has skated before, but it was just pick up hockey in high school. Basically he can go forward and stop by spinning in a sharp circle.

I tried showing him the motions of going backwards and he couldn't match it, but once I explained to push off the inside edge he got it like it was nothing.

Unfortunately I'm not too "skate smart" I guess, and I can't really describe how he should be using his edges for crossovers, backward cross overs, hockey stops, and stopping while skating backwards. Any help?

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
cmdrdredd

Maybe these videos might help you explain it.

Turning and Crossover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZnfktIar_o

Backwards Crossover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Se8ycc5TE&feature=fvw

Hockey Stop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f19ZQj_fak

When you're in a turn and doing crossovers you use the outside edge of the inside skate and the inside edge of the skate on the outside of the turn. So in a left hand turn the inside edge of your right skate and the outside edge of your left skate are used. Push off with your right and bring it up to your left and push off with your left and slide it under your right and then push off with your right again. For beginners they might like to bring their right skate up and in front of their left which is ok too, but you get more speed and power if you can push off with both sides equally. I started only doing left turns at public skates. After a while I tried it the other way when it wasn't crowded at one end of the rink.

For a stop, as the video above demonstrates you want to be able to shave the ice. You don't want to dig in. Many skaters have a strong and weak side for a hockey stop. I am more natural doing it with my left foot leading. You are using the inside edge of your lead skate and the outside edge of your trailing skate. The technique shown above is what it should look like as far as the spreading your legs apart and offsetting your skates from eachother.

Maybe having your buddy checkout some youtube videos and try to get a visual for what his edges should look like when doing different techniques will help mentally prepare him for doing it. It always helped me to watch someone then try to emulate what I saw.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Hockeyfan68

I would suggest to your friend to visit Youtube and search out some videos. There are tons available and i have been checking out the advanced backwards skating ones since I already know how to skate but need to improve to a more advanced level.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
cmdrdredd

Really it's not a bad idea to join a power skating class if there's one somewhere around your area. That'll really give him the idea. It's ok to explain it and let him try it, but it's really something to have someone explaining bad habits and techniques involved. The video I posted of backwards crossover has a kid not even skating but just going through the motions. That will get you proper body position, proper leg extension and knee bend and give you a feel for what you should be doing when in motion. If there was a good teacher explaining these things it would come faster. I never took a class but I sure wish I did.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote