HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

NHL Network

Old
03-11-2010, 12:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
NHL Network

Is it just me or does this channel suck really bad? I just upgraded my cable the other day so I have the NFL and MLB network along with the NHL network that I already had and it seems like it is just so bad compared to the others. The MLB network is absolutely amazing. Great shows, great people, great coverage, everything, and I have only been watching it for like a week. I haven't really watched much of the NFL Network but what I have seen and heard about is all good things. The NHL Network seems like it only shows old games and has very little original programming. It has the NHL on the Fly, but that is kind of lame most of the time. MLB has great original stuff and nightly shows like MLB Tonight, which is basically Baseball Tonight. I mean at least you would think there would be some kind of NHL Tonight programming. It had great coverage of the trade deadline, but that was all TSN. I don't know, am I missing something here?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Shadeslayer813

vCash: 500
They do regular season games usually 3-4 times a week. Plus they do college and junior games every once in awhile.

Other than that it pretty lame. NHL on the fly and NHL live are ok every once in awhile

Shadeslayer813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Get Carter

I don't understand how the NHL Network can broadcast games in HD, even show a commercial promoting NHL On the Fly in HD, yet the actual show NHL on the Fly along with game highlights are never in HD. Does anyone know why this is?

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:01 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Other then the ****** commercials I love the NHL network.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeslayer813 View Post
They do regular season games usually 3-4 times a week. Plus they do college and junior games every once in awhile.
Yeah and that's pretty cool, but still I'd like to see some better original programming.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:45 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
"Let's go princess" yea you're right.

Agreed with the OP that it pales in comparison to MLBNet, but MLB is really outstanding IMO. NHLNet is pretty comparable to NBATV in most ways...what I would like to see them do is have a bit more variety. The old games are cool, especially in the summer when there's no live hockey, but I'd like to see them show more different games rather than the same ones repeated.

Also I thought their Tradecentre deal was a bit lame, because it was (I believe) TSN's production and it was very Leafs-centric. I mean, it was better than nothing but they really went overboard with the Leafs and Sens.

The BC/BU "Battle of Comm Ave" piece they just had was pretty cool, if they show it again catch it, good stuff.

Last edited by CTU2fan: 03-11-2010 at 01:56 PM.
CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:48 PM
mypetmeatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post

My sentiments exactly

I think I've memorized the "Hockey is for Everyone" commercial by now

mypetmeatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:06 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypetmeatball View Post
My sentiments exactly

"When you learn how to play hockey, you learn more than just a sport."

Yeah, the commercial re-runs are their biggest problem. It's soooo over the top. I agree that they could use some more original programming, but what's there to complain about with NHL on the Fly? It's a very in-depth highlight show. Some of the guys on there can be annoying, but I like Kevin Weekes a lot and a couple other guys aren't bad. Besides, the most important thing is the highlights themselves and for each game they show so many. I absolutely love that. I mean, you get about 10x the highlights of each game compared to what ESPN would give you. You actually get a feel for how the game went rather than just being shown 1 or 2 goals in a 5-3 game. Plus, I really like that they give them to you with the original broadcast audio rather than the dude on the highlight show giving a narrative.

Even if they did get more original programming, I personally wouldn't really have the time to watch much of it. The highlights are what I care about most, so I'm happy enough. They should get more commercials though, for sure. At this point, Rick Dipietro's shrillass scream makes me want to break things. I think I'll punch him in the face if I ever meet him.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:37 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

It's not perfect but I'm glad it's there, at least. Watched the Flyers 40th anniversary documentary on it a month or two ago. I actually wish they'd show more minor league stuff as well.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:03 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I love watching the NHL Network. I dont particularly like NHL Live or NHL PowerPlay, but they do broadcast games a few times a week. But the part I really like are the stories they run and the Vintage games and Top 10's they do. I havent seen too much of them lately, but in the summer they run nonstop. Frozen in Time is another good series that gets aired. My favorite one I think, and I dont remember the name of it, was when they took an in depth look at scouting for the Blues during the 2007 NHL draft. They went with all the scouts, including Al MacInnis to the combine and interviewed a number of prospects. Really intriguing stuff.

I personally love the NHL Network, but thats just me.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
CTU2fan

I will add that compared to the joke that is ESPN's hockey coverage I'm thrilled we have NHLNet.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:21 PM
JCameron418

I miss the coach commericals

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
PhilaFlyers

It could use some more original programming and definitely needs to stop playing the same commercials over and over. But I watch it all the time. The only place to watch the world juniors, too. Plus they are starting to play CHL games so it's only going to get better.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
mypetmeatball

We may live in Beirut now, but our seats are definitely Center Ice!

edit: I can't really complain though, because it certainly beats having to watch that ****** Pens fan banging the glass in his house last year every commercial break

mypetmeatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
We may live in Beirut now, but our seats are definitely Center Ice!

edit: I can't really complain though, because it certainly beats having to watch that ****** Pens fan banging the glass in his house last year every commercial break
Hahah I lol'd at this post.

I swear, one night I had it on for 2 hours not really paying attention to it and I saw highlights from the Caps-Stars game at least 10 times.

Old
03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
The commercials are terrible.
I've seen that Derrick Roy commercial about 100 times one day, back-to-back-to-back

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:27 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
My sentiments exactly

there is that and the credit card bailout one. they had the Obama one for awhile but I havent seen it in awhile.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote