HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Luongo resign his Captaincy?

View Poll Results: Should the Canucks assign the Captaincy?
Yes 29 20.86%
No 110 79.14%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Runestone

vCash: 500
Should Luongo resign his Captaincy?

Is the Captaincy an unneeded distraction for Luongo? Should the role pass on to Kesler, for instance? Luongo was a leader in the dressing room even before he was anointed, so I doubt the team would think any lesser of him. In some respects, I believe the Captaincy has fallen into redundancy, and the team would benefit by passing the torch as it were to another "just-as-deserving" individual...

EDIT: The poll question should read, "re-assign"...

Runestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:07 AM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

No.

No need.

We're winning.

Horrible timing for a thread like this.

CRDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Runestone

It's just a poll. Luongo looks shaky this year (fighting the puck), especially in the first twenty minutes, so I wonder if transferring the role to another player might take a load off his shoulders, allowing him to concentrate on the "whole" game...

Runestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:14 AM
Solidius

Upgrade Kesler to the C and give Hodgson the A to groom him for future captaincy.

Solidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:14 AM
L4D

I think he should give it to Raycroft.

L4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:26 AM
VanEric

No. What part of it is a distraction? The media commitments? He's always going to have to be there for the media because he's the highest paid and most high profile player on the team.

Leadership doesn't seem to be an issue on this team and we've heard of a couple times of Luongo holding closed door meetings and the team responding quite well.

If he were ever going to give it to someone else (which won't happen), Ryan Kesler wouldn't be the guy. He's not captain material, IMHO.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:28 AM
CAPiTA

I think Luongo may relinquish the role himself in the coming years, especially if Kesler signs here long-term. Realistically, Kesler should be the captain now, but Luongo shouldn't be forced to give it up. He should recognize that in the long run, its the right thing to do. Look how Kesler has responded to his increased leadership role. Since being given the A, he's had a 59pt season and now 61 in 66 games. He responds well to pressure and is the perfect candidate for the captaincy.

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Captaincy is such a subjective matter - especially to fans like us who have little to no clue how each individual player leads. The only voices that have enough information available to discern who earns the role of captaincy are the Canucks/Canucks coaching staff/Gillis/etc.

From a media/fan perspective, I believe Luongo isn't the best choice for captain. Sure, he's a high-paid superstar in this league, but his interviews are lifeless, average, and quite frankly, not reflective of how a captain should interact with his fans. He's by no means "bad," but other personalities in the dressing are much more welcoming and marketable (Mitchell, Kesler, and even the Sedins).

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 07:55 AM
regretlesspanda

Until Kesler re-signs, I think Louie is our best option with the "C". For better or for worse, Luongo is the face of the franchise for the foreseeable future (alliteration unintended). He may not have the seniority, but he's got the contract, and the responsibility. I haven't complained since he's manned the helm.

regretlesspanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:04 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Luongo can be distracted by officiating. If he doesn't get calls he yells at the officials and goes off his game. Those are facts that were known before he was made capo, so I doubt they change it now. For what?

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:12 AM
dmacgreg37

Doesn't anyone remember how well it went over in the dressing room last time we changed our captain while the former captain was still on the team? We ended up having a terrible GM, a terrible C, and a locker room that had to be completely flushed out of all talent that disagreed wtih the great Keenan and Messier. Terrible idea.

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
Captaincy is such a subjective matter - especially to fans like us who have little to no clue how each individual player leads. The only voices that have enough information available to discern who earns the role of captaincy are the Canucks/Canucks coaching staff/Gillis/etc.

From a media/fan perspective, I believe Luongo isn't the best choice for captain. Sure, he's a high-paid superstar in this league, but his interviews are lifeless, average, and quite frankly, not reflective of how a captain should interact with his fans. He's by no means "bad," but other personalities in the dressing are much more welcoming and marketable (Mitchell, Kesler, and even the Sedins).
You think Kesler and the Sedins give better interviews??? Kesler usually mumbles his way through unless he's saying something dumb like calling Ladd a coward. The Sedins give the Markus Naslund interview every game.

Old
03-10-2010, 09:49 AM
jacksonh

I am a goalie and I was a captain one season and it didn't work out very well for me.

As a goalie it is a little harder to lead by example during games. If a forward is fighting the puck and having an off night they can bare down and play hard and their teammates will recognize this. If a goalie is having an off night its really tough to do this. As a goalie you can bare down and work hard but sometimes the puck just goes in and you feel like you are letting your teammates down. And if you feel that you are not leading by example on the ice, it makes it very difficult to speak up in the dressing room.

All that being said, I know Luongo is the hardest worker on the team and is very dedicated and focused and am sure he leads by example by working hard in practice, and off ice.

Also the fact that he has let in weak goals early in the last few games and battled back and played very strong is definitely positive.

I say he should stay captain.

jacksonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Tiranis

Kesler should not be the captain of this team. He is not signed beyond this season, he regularly says something dumb, regularly disappears on the road (excluding the second half of this road trip), and was downright awful in last year's playoffs.

Love him as a Canucks, but as of right now he's not captain material — certainly not over Luongo.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
VanEric

Kesler's an agitator and that's why he should never be captain. A big part of his game is acting like an ass and getting under the skin of the other team. That's not exactly the guy you want dealing with the refs and being your leader. It just doesn't fit to have him as the captain.

Old
03-10-2010, 09:59 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Kesler's an agitator and that's why he should never be captain. A big part of his game is acting like an ass and getting under the skin of the other team. That's not exactly the guy you want dealing with the refs and being your leader. It just doesn't fit to have him as the captain.
Mike Richards?

Anyways, I say no for a couple reasons:

1) it's almost the end of the season. All this would do is create another distraction.
2) the absence of a suitable replacement. I still don't see anyone on this team with better leadership qualities than Luongo. Perhaps Kesler or Burrows, but Burr doesn't even have an A, and Kesler is unsigned. Perhaps one will emerge in the coming years, but until then Luongo is fine.
3) I'm not sure Luongo is really taking on more responsibility or pressure than he would normally take, and on top of that, he seems to play better in big pressure situations....usually.

03-10-2010, 10:00 AM
zepps

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
No. What part of it is a distraction? The media commitments? He's always going to have to be there for the media because he's the highest paid and most high profile player on the team.

Leadership doesn't seem to be an issue on this team and we've heard of a couple times of Luongo holding closed door meetings and the team responding quite well.

If he were ever going to give it to someone else (which won't happen), Ryan Kesler wouldn't be the guy. He's not captain material, IMHO.
I agree with this fully.

zepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Sakic
Extra B is for BYOBB

Send a message via MSN to Sakic Send a message via Yahoo to Sakic
i think they should let him put a "C" on his jersey.

that rule is ridiculous.

Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
As much as it would probably drive some people crazy and give them shades of Naslund; I would expect if the captaincy were up for grabs again it would probably go to Henrik.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:54 AM
ShyCheetah

After reading some resonses I have to remind a few that Messier is considered one of the greatest leaders of all time, but at the same time he was one of biggest A-holes that ever lived. He scored a lot of goals yes, but he fed more elbows to the face then anyone alive. Lets not get this twisted. A captain is someone one would follow into HELL. I've followed and I've led. I'd follow an A-hole to the promised land if he led me there. Don't forget that Smyl and Linden were some of the meanest son of a guns that patrolled their ice.

Shy.

ShyCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
lush
@jasonlush

I'm more than happy to entertain the idea of Luongo handing it off to somebody else when the time comes, but the time hasn't come just yet.

Besides, the teams record since Luongo took the C has been outstanding. It just doesn't make sense at this time.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I think Kesler would be a fine choice as captain. That being said, so is Luongo. We decided to make Luongo the captain of our team as he's our best player and the player we rely on most. I feel he responds well in pressure situations and the players tend to play better in front of him; maybe it's a confidence thing knowing that he's back there.

In either case, I think he's definitely captain material and the only thing somewhat in question is the position he plays on the ice. On an NHL team like the Canucks that has leadership all over the ice I don't think this makes a difference. You don't need to be wearing the 'C' to dig down deep and elevate your game on the ice inspiring others to do the same.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Macke*

Well not at this time anyway.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:52 AM
mr gib

why now ? -

mr gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:49 PM
DL44

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehr Waffe View Post
Is the Captaincy an unneeded distraction for Luongo? Should the role pass on to Kesler, for instance? Luongo was a leader in the dressing room even before he was anointed, so I doubt the team would think any lesser of him. In some respects, I believe the Captaincy has fallen into redundancy, and the team would benefit by passing the torch as it were to another "just-as-deserving" individual...

EDIT: The poll question should read, "re-assign"...

This thread is probably more of distraction for Luongo than the captaincy is.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote