HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus Pens v Canes

Old
03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Super Reverse Homer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Chris Chelios is so old...Abe Lincoln's high school was named Chelios High.

Sorry just want to throw that out there. Saw a bunch of Chelios old jokes on some blog.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Someone disagreed with me on this and that's fine, but I don't see Malkin being put out there for the purpose of pounding the other team relentlessly like I do with Crosby's line. I just don't see them able to get a rhythm out there. I think the third line is playing great and the 4th line is very good for what they are, but the top 2 horses are Crosby and Malkin and they should be out there as often as possible.
How about earning the ice time? The second line stinks right now.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:08 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
How about earning the ice time? The second line stinks right now.
Malkin hasn't earned his ice time? Poni obviously has since they acquired him specifically to play in the top six. Say what you want about Feds, two out of three says get them out there if only to get your 2nd best player on the ice.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Rectify
I need a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant In The Room View Post
Chris Chelios is so old...Abe Lincoln's high school was named Chelios High.

Sorry just want to throw that out there. Saw a bunch of Chelios old jokes on some blog.
Haha good one, Chelios is so old Jesus owes him money.

Rectify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Staal4Futures

Chelios is so old he knew Bruce Boudreau before he was fat.

Staal4Futures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltymingus View Post
Haha good one, Chelios is so old Jesus owes him money.
Another one I saw...Chelios is so old, when Gordie Howe was a kid he wore a Chelios jersey.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant In The Room View Post
Another one I saw...Chelios is so old, when Gordie Howe was a kid he wore a Chelios jersey.
Haha, Chris Chelios is so old, he still gets royalties for inventing the wheel.

Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 03-11-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Rectify
I need a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Haha, Chris Chelios is so old, he still gets royalties for inventing the wheel.
That post is so old, that it had to be edited to make it funny. Haha I'm just playin man you will laugh about it tomorrow I promise.

Rectify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt401 View Post
- Gonchar for being a moron.

+ The amount of pens fans in the building.
I was there tonight and it was about 25% Pens fans. Very vocal. Lots of fun.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:22 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

+ Guerin
+ Leopold
+ Crosby
+ Cooke

- Fedotenko
- Letang
- Brent Johnson

Don't know how any of you can have Guerin as a minus. He looked like '09 playoffs Guerin tonight.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Florentino Ariza

I missed some of the game but from what I see, it's the usual story (except for Guerin showing up to play). Letang always gets out of position to pinch or make a hit, Gonchar does something stupid and the second line fails to impress. That second line is the most disappointing because they've got one of the top stars in the world centering it and it still has trouble establishing any rhythm. It has trouble making stuff happen off the rush and when they do get a chance to cycle, it seems like they also have trouble scoring. I wonder how many of Malkin's ES points come from playing with linemates other than Fedotenko.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

I didn't get to see the game, but did Max suit up? I would put Max with Malkin and Poni and see if that gels. Hell at this point might as well throw Letang out there with Geno n' Poni

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncharz View Post
I missed some of the game but from what I see, it's the usual story (except for Guerin showing up to play). Letang always gets out of position to pinch or make a hit, Gonchar does something stupid and the second line fails to impress. That second line is the most disappointing because they've got one of the top stars in the world centering it and it still has trouble establishing any rhythm. It has trouble making stuff happen off the rush and when they do get a chance to cycle, it seems like they also have trouble scoring. I wonder how many of Malkin's ES points come from playing with linemates other than Fedotenko.
http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpo...uction&sent=go

If Dupuis continues to play well, give TK a shot with Geno.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Usually I'm not as hard on Letang as most on here, but tonight it was noticeable how many bad decisions he was making. Is it a case of this kid's brain not being equal to his actual physical talent?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:02 AM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Is it a case of this kid's brain not being equal to his actual physical talent?
Yes. He has the defenseman's version of Kovalev syndrome.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Penalties aside, does anyone remember Gonchar making a bad play in this match? Does anyone remember Carolina even having any goal scoring chances against the Gonchar-Eaton line? I remember once where Gonchar poke checked the puck away in the last instance.
Does anyone remember that pairing failing to deal with the switches that Cole so correctly pointed out as big problems? Did anyone watch how good our two PP's were?

These are loaded questions. Steigy pointing out that Gonchar's first penalty (retaliatory against LaRose) was somewhat 'selfish' with less than 10 minuts played and Pens up 2-0.... that's true, but that simply cannot be the standard by which to judge a performance.

Had it been Gonchar on the ice falling over like Orpik did on the OT goal, or had he been on the ice for that pathetic 2-2 goal that Letang and Brooks gave up, he would have been crucified here.

Or perhaps I just don't get it.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Penalties aside, does anyone remember Gonchar making a bad play in this match? Does anyone remember Carolina even having any goal scoring chances against the Gonchar-Eaton line? I remember once where Gonchar poke checked the puck away in the last instance.
Does anyone remember that pairing failing to deal with the switches that Cole so correctly pointed out as big problems? Did anyone watch how good our two PP's were?

These are loaded questions. Steigy pointing out that Gonchar's first penalty (retaliatory against LaRose) was somewhat 'selfish' with less than 10 minuts played and Pens up 2-0.... that's true, but that simply cannot be the standard by which to judge a performance.

Had it been Gonchar on the ice falling over like Orpik did on the OT goal, or had he been on the ice for that pathetic 2-2 goal that Letang and Brooks gave up, he would have been crucified here.

Or perhaps I just don't get it.
I love Gonchar and I think you're one-hundred percent correct that he gets criticized for invisible defensive ineptitude. But he took a retaliatory boarding penalty after (what looked to be) an extremely insignificant incident, and he's done this many times before, we've seen it this year and I've seen videos of a younger Gonchar doing the exact same thing. It wouldn't be so bad except that Whitney scored 10 seconds after the penalty, breathing life into a team that had none before Gonch took the penalty. Taking that penalty while the Pens had a 2-0 advantag in the first period against a team that has a record of 14-3-1 in its last 18 games was not a smart play by a savvy veteran like him.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:29 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Yes. He has the defenseman's version of Kovalev syndrome.
Yeah, I think that's always been the knock on him, even when he was drafted. He's got unbelievable potential and physical skills, but he's lacking upstairs.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Usually I'm not as hard on Letang as most on here, but tonight it was noticeable how many bad decisions he was making. Is it a case of this kid's brain not being equal to his actual physical talent?
Letang is at the point where, while he is still young, he needs to take the inconsistency issue seriously and work hard to weed out some of glaring but correctible problems, such as keeping up with his assignments and timing his pinches. It feels like his defensive zone coverage is getting progressively worse with each passing season. Yes he is getting better at making the correct pass and knowing what to do in the counter attack/transitional game, as well as supporting the offense. It's his defense that needs attention now.

The last thing I want to see is Letang becoming an Jovanovski-lite: Good offensive instincts and can hit, only to be marred by poor defensive reads and terrible decision-making.

Old
03-12-2010, 02:21 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
Does anyone else agree that Fedotenko hurts the 2nd line more than he helps?
I would rather see N. Johnson called up and played on the 2nd line with Poni and Geno, he brings the net presence and the physical play, he's also a better skater than Fedotenko. I wanted Ruslan gone at the deadline, he had his moments where he played well after the Olympic break, but now it's back to the suck.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:38 AM
High Flying Birds

Fedotenko really kills that 2nd line. Hilarious moment of the night goes to him behind the Carolina goalie, tripping over.... ice? with no one remotely close to him in the 2nd period. Beating a dead horse here, but he really has been useless this season. I'd switch Talbot with him in a second now that he seems healthy again. Superstar might not bring the amazing offensive touch that FedEx has brought this season but at least he forechecks hard and can open up space for Geno and Poni. Fedotenko should be demoted to the depths of Hell preferably but it won't happen with Bylsma's bizarre love affair with him.

On a positive note, Dupuis is playing some of the best hockey of his career right now.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

I really liked the Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin line tonight (though if Guerin reverts back to sucking that may change) so I really feel like that line needs to stick together. Dupuis should get Fedotenko's spot on the second line and Feds should be scratched or put on the fourth line. Honestly it baffles me how Fedotenko remains on the second line despite having seemingly no chemistry with Malkin and contributing nothing to the line as a whole. He turns the puck over in the offensive zone constantly and has blown so many golden scoring chances. I really hope he picks his game up soon because we won't be getting back to the finals if he remains on that line playing that poorly.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:20 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

+ jumping out to an early 2-0 lead in the first

- getting outscored 4-1 after that

- my little poni. that staal goal was on him and outside of his two decent shots, i had a hard time locating him on the ice.

- i'm usually a supporter of feds because of the physical play he brings, but this guy is bring malkin down now.

- malkin not shooting enough. when he pulled the canes goalie 15 feet out of the net, he should've gone backhand, forehand, and stuffed it near side instead of going behind the net.

- Johnson didn't show up to play. People were crucifying Fleury the other night when he let in 4 on 12 shots. Well, Johnson let 3 on 8 shots. Just brutal.

- Letang and Orpik paring. Both were horrible tonight. The faceoff we won, I mean lost, where they allowed the canes to walk in on them was just disgusting.

- Gonchars revenge.

If we play like this in the playoffs, it'll be a sweep against.

M0NTY26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
If we play like this in the playoffs, it'll be a sweep against.
I doubt we'll lose many games if we outshoot opponents 40-21 consistently.

Against the Canes there were break downs that shouldn't happen, but lets not make a mountain out of a molehill. We richly deserved to win that game. Credit their goal tender - and opportunism - that we didn't.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
Fedotenko really kills that 2nd line. Hilarious moment of the night goes to him behind the Carolina goalie, tripping over.... ice?
Ya I saw that... wtf was he doing? There was no one even near him, then he dropped his stick and then tripped over it... I couldn't believe what I just saw and just shook my head...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote