HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Win's a win, Habs beat Oilers 5-4 in SO

Old
03-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I love the win but frankly Halak got lucky in the shoot out. gagner lost the handle, another oiler hit the cross bar, and yet another could not lift it over a belly sliding halak. Finally jaro was looking behind himself on yet another shot

I'll take a win from either goalie but halak did not have a good game. Just calling it as it is
Yes, agreed, Halak was horrible, but we won, so good time to be horrible Halak.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Markov faught the puck ALL night, i can't tell you how many times the puck was right on his stick at the blue and he missed it.

Well, didn't seem to have an affect on his team high 27:45 ice time, 2 points and +3.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Markov faught the puck ALL night, i can't tell you how many times the puck was right on his stick at the blue and he missed it.

4 and 0

Very boring to watch

...and like everyone else said...Halak was Brutal
Most players on the ice struggled with the puck, looked like the ice was bad and puck was bouncing, apparentkly a concert at the MC last night.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Anybody else starting to see the value of Moore? He was a beast tonight and Moen is back to being a solid contributor since joining that line. I know we paid a good amount, but I hope we can lock him up at a reasonable cost for 2-3 years to complement Pleks and Gomez.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I won't be surprised if he goes with Price and it wouldn't be a terrible decision considering how he's played against Boston this year, but I think we're at the point in the season where we have to pick the guy who's going to lead us into the playoffs and a wake game from Halak during a win is definitely not enough to erase what he's done for us this year.

I think Martin should show confidence in Jaro by going back to him after an unquestionably shaky performance and see if he redeems himself as I expect he will.
I think this is one of the few instances where he can't go wrong either way to be honest. There's sound logic behind both decisions. Martin has backed himself into a corner earlier though. He should have started Price after his stellar outings against Philly and San Jose, but in fairness to him, he was in tough on who to choose. Here though, he can't go wrong.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Anybody else starting to see the value of Moore? He was a beast tonight and Moen is back to being a solid contributor since joining that line. I know we paid a good amount, but I hope we can lock him up at a reasonable cost for 2-3 years to complement Pleks and Gomez.
I agree. Moore has been great for us for sure, I hope he can keep it up.

Brings much more to the table than Lapierre, looks like a good guy too.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:11 PM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I noticed that too....

An 8 goal game is boring ?

Keep Lapierre out and send down Maxwell, bring up White, and we're good to go.

A shootout goal counts towards free wings ? Sweeeeet.
yes, an 8 goal game was boring.
there was no excitement, just a whole lot of broken plays and terrible goaltending

and for the record, I much rather watch a 2-1 action packed end to end thriller then watch a 5-4 goal fest

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Frankenheimer

We need to come up with more creative ways to describe how bad Halak's win was tonight boys. It's getting a bit tiring reading the same comments. KR really owns you in this department.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:13 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

anyone notice how we've been scoring super early into games the past little while?

i know people are obviously always going to try and score, but do you think there has been a specific effort from the coaches to focus hard on an early goal to set that tone and use the momentum? and take that strategy from game to game and keep it flowing.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:18 PM
DJFP
Registered DJ

Crazy exciting game - I for one DO NOT think that the team played badly - did they lack finish? Yes. Did they give up some opportunities? Yes. There were times in this game where the habs absolutely dominated, and for the most part had possession, controlled the play and did what they were supposed to. If not for a couple of weaksauce goals and if we had finished more of our chances, this game would have been 7 - 2. Anyways, it was an exciting game to watch and I get to rub it in my dads face - Gotta love NHL gamecenter - live in china and still watch hockey!

DJFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:21 PM
shealy04

Sergei!!!!!!

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:24 PM
holyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shealy04 View Post
Sergei!!!!!!
No PP time for you!

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:31 PM
THE HOFF

doesn't halak have some lifesavers he can thrown in there as well ? he was screened/ everybody played bad in front of him (wich btw, automatically makes his mistakes accounted for)/ young / 1rst bad game in a while/ too much pressure from being #1/ feels the hate from montreal FRENCH media and fans/ feels pressure from carey / still sad after the olympics/ he's the only one who cares ... ect...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Just going to point this out because I've seen it done a lot lately.

Site rules:
Quote:
1. Flaming:... Do not start threads to call out and embarrass other members; or make posts about ignore lists. ...

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:33 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
No PP time for you!
I loled .... the only reason he's not being dominant right now is because on 5 on 5 hockey he gets hit/pushed a lot (still plays well)... can't imagine what he could bring on the pp, the guy has insane vision/accurate shot/ect...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:36 PM
TankEller*

Seriously, you guys are hard to follow. Once again tonight Markov broke out an outstanding number of scoring chances, played sound positionally and ended the night with 2 assists and a record of +3. What exactly are people expecting? We're freaking 20-9-3 with the guy in the lineup, and people still find a way to bring him down a way or another.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:50 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Not until Price is the #1 and he's playing every game uncontested, regardless of how this team does. At least that's what I can gather on him, it's Price or nothing.
You act as if Halak has been flawless all year. Where were you when Price was amazing in the first half of the season and pretty much our MVP? Hiding, I guess? Can't admit Price was very good in the first half of the season? Or do you think that Price should continually be benched even if he is sensational and the team loses (See San Jose game, Nashville game, Chicago game, Buffalo game, etc). Unfortunately, Martin is an idiot and still riding the "win and you're in" system so even after Price's amazing San Jose game, he gets to ride the pine, basically blaming every loss on Price himself, regardless of what he does. It's a tough situation for him.

Halak is young and ALSO inconsistent. It seems like he either plays lights out or has a terrible game (4+ goals in regulation). Halak's bad games are worse than Price's, that's for sure!!! Who knows, maybe Halak was simply riding a hot streak in Dec/Jan and now coming back down to earth, maybe his lack of stamina is getting to him, maybe he feels the pressure now that he's gotten more games and his play is being analyzed? It could be A LOT of different factors. Halak seems to stumble after a few good games in a row so if you keep playing him, his save % will definitely fall...

To be honest though, I'd love to see what Halak can do as A STARTER IN THE PLAYOFFS. If he manages to play lights out or win a playoff series against a top team like Pittsburgh, Washington, etc, then I'll believe in Halak's potential. Until then, he is just unproven and erratic (if not more since Price has won a playoff series...) as Price.

**This would also take the pressure of Price if Halak is the starter in the playoffs.

P.S. How many times has Price had a sub 0.900% and won the game? How many times has Halak had a sub 0.900 and won the game? It's pretty crazy to see how much they score when Halak is in net...and this is also why Price's W/L record is very, very deceiving. I'm pretty sure Price alluded to this when he said he finds most of the best games he's played this season, they lost and when he played ok/bad, he won games. In the back of his mind, I'm sure he's thinking about this in regards to Halak. Hockey is a funny game...a game of bounces.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Relax all you doom and gloomers. Pittsburgh lost to Carolina in a shootout tonight. Edmonton beat NJ 2-0 coming back from the break. With parity in the league, anything can happen on any given night. If it weren't for our inept PP and Halak's softies, we'd have won handily.
why cant everyone think like this?

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
You act as if Halak has been flawless all year.
He's been pretty consistent. He's had a few bad games, but he almost always comes back strong the next game. The goalie that doesn't have bad games, well that's probably your typical yearly Vezina winner. No one is saying Halak is going to win the vezina, so yes, short of that, Halak has been pretty damn consistent all year. Very rarely had 2 bad games in a row, if at all. And the proof is in his win-loss ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Where were you when Price was amazing in the first half of the season and pretty much our MVP? Hiding, I guess? Can't admit Price was very good in the first half of the season?
I must have missed the first part of the season, I guess.

Please don't bring up the Molson Cup, please.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
he got the win, don't care about the rest
but if it was Price it would be a different story eh... Halak sucked tonight and you said he played great witch is hiliarious

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Seriously, you guys are hard to follow. Once again tonight Markov broke out an outstanding number of scoring chances, played sound positionally and ended the night with 2 assists and a record of +3. What exactly are people expecting? We're freaking 20-9-3 with the guy in the lineup, and people still find a way to bring him down a way or another.
That started with the irrational complaints of Markov faking injuries to get a rest before the olympics.

That said, Markov hasn't been as good as the past 2 seasons this season. But I totally expected that because players who miss the beginning of the season often end up underachieving for that particular season. It's only normal, not his fault. And even then, Markov is still our best dman by about a million miles. Watch out for him next season, he'll be back to his old top 5 dman self.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:09 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
That started with the irrational complaints of Markov faking injuries to get a rest before the olympics.

That said, Markov hasn't been as good as the past 2 seasons this season. But I totally expected that because players who miss the beginning of the season often end up underachieving for that particular season. It's only normal, not his fault. And even then, Markov is still our best dman by about a million miles. Watch out for him next season, he'll be back to his old top 5 dman self.
Still... 20-9-3 with him in the lineup. This still is pretty good. Going from a team playing ,400 to a team playing ,650 hockey. He's our MVP, our franchise player. Don't get ahead of yourselves people, Price and Subban aren't the face of this franchise for year to come. Markov is, until he retires.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
but if it was Price it would be a different story eh... Halak sucked tonight and you said he played great witch is hiliarious
Halak sucked tonight. That said, he picked a good time to suck and we ended up winning anyway. I'd say the same thing if it was Price.

But if it was Price and someone said he sucked in a winning effort, a gazillion Price defenders would come to the rescue and call us haters who can't give him any credit.

I call it like it is. Halak wasn't good tonight, and I haven't read every post in this thread, but I am willing to bet only 1-2 person actually said he was good tonight.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:12 PM
totalrecall

I can't believe this debate is still on.
Let's give credit to any goalie (or any player) when deserves it.
Also, we have the right to criticize (in a rational manner) any goalie (or any player) when he deserves it.

What I don't understand is why target specific goalie (or player) and bash him game after game. Stop copying Benoit Brunet.

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
He didn't say Halak played great...

Also, I don't think it would be a different story for Price. Price almost never wins unless he's one of the best players on the ice so he isn't in this situation very often. That's not a shot at him (or praise), just the way it's been for him this season.

Halak has had an excellent season. He sucked tonight -- it happens. Every goalie of any significance in the history of hockey has had some terrible games. Fortunately, we managed to win this one anyways and regardless it doesn't take away from all that Halak has accomplished this season. It seems like almost everybody on here believes "you're only as good as your last game," but it really shouldn't be that way.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote